• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
Still amazed Microsoft showed barely anything of Gears and Halo. I know we will see more Gears over this week but both of their showings were very unexciting.

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
Nintendo will carry with a Direct without a ton of CG and Treehouse live-streams for hours of gameplay demos.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This thread feels like a lot like self-reassurance for Sony not showing up at E3 this year.
Most of the games shown in the Xbox presser had gameplay snippets or were entirely recorded with gameplay segments.
The Outer Worlds, Bleeding Edge, Minecraft Dungeons, Battletoads, Psychonauts 2, Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot, Tales Of Arise and more.

People are for some reason only focusing on the (bad) showings of Gears 5 and Halo Infinite. This thread is factually wrong.
I mean look who made the thread.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
They don't need to make demos that are played live on stage, instead of CG trailers they can make gameplay trailers and go over the bug problem.

It's crazy, but nintendo does this every year, so what is the problem?

Oct 27, 2017
EA had Star Wars Jedi gameplay demo.

Ubisoft had the Watch Dogs Legion demo.

And Square Enix had the Final Fantasy VII Remake demo.

Microsoft and Bethesda had 0 gameplay demos in their conferences (although Doom Eternal and Ori both got a trailer with some gameplay so there is that I guess?).

But the vast majority of games were shown through CGIs. Even already released and announced games.

We also had 0 big new IPs being announced with gameplay. Elden Ring, Deathloop, Ghost Wire, Gods and Monsters, Outriders, etc. All CG.

Even stuff that people were sure we would get gameplay like Halo Infinite, Gears of War 5 (even though we had a great gameplay presentation last year wtf), Cyberpunk 2077 (we got a 15sec gameplay glimpse I guess, yay), Avengers... all presented with CG.

Its pretty easy to see why this E3 is not being well received considering this situation.

Who wants long gameplay demos in shows? Are we still in 2006. Presentations have announcements the gameplay demos come after like what Xbox/Nintendo do after the show. If not you just get bloated gameplay shows that are slog, ie sony show last year.

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I wish we'd gotten gameplay of the new Souls game

Also last year's Gears 5 demo was boring as shit, glad they kept that one out

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kinda telling that pubs want to pay a lot just for CGI, they rather have the devs focus on the game development rather than waste time delivering a polished E3 demo.

Nov 1, 2017
Let's be honest, pretty much all gameplay demos are scripted and rehearsed to within an inch of its life in a highly polished vertical slice of the game that famously in the case of something like the original Watch Dogs isn't even indicative of how the game will actually turn out. Every time i see a gameplay demo where they are walking slowly and panning the camera around i think "No one plays games like that, why aren't you sprinting constantly?" Watch Dogs 3 had a gameplay segment but i'm sure i saw the phrase "Edited for time" spliced in there (unless im thinking of another game) so that wasn't even a proper representation. Some games like Ori for instance were using gameplay footage, it just wasn't an uninterrupted segment

I guess everyone saw the insane response Death Stranding has gotten by constantly pumping out trailer after trailer with no actual gameplay footage or even an idea of how it plays and thought "Hey, we can do that too".

Oct 31, 2017
The Blocc
I'm so glad I skipped this year's show for the first time in a decade. Y'all really sat through 6 hours worth of trailers you could watch on YT and leaked announcements like Game Pass and not even specs of the Scarlet, literally "it'll run in 8K 144fps". Anyone who gave 6 hours for this...you could have spent that time actually playing a fun game.

Oct 31, 2017
The Blocc
Let's be honest, pretty much all gameplay demos are scripted and rehearsed to within an inch of it's life in a highly polished vertical slice of the game that famously in the case of something like the original Watch Dogs isn't even indicative of how the game will actually turn out. Every time i see a gameplay demo where they are walking slowly and panning the camera around i think "No one plays games like that, why aren't you sprinting constantly?" Watch Dogs 3 had a gameplay segment but i'm sure i saw the phrase "Edited for time" spliced in there (unless im thinking of another game) so that wasn't even a proper representation. Some games like Ori for instance were using gameplay footage, it just wasn't an uninterrupted segment

I guess everyone saw the insane response Death Stranding has gotten by constantly pumping out trailer after trailer with no actual gameplay footage or even an idea of how it plays and thought "Hey, we can do that too".

I mean when the alternative is a CGI trailer, I think most people would rather watch gameplay. I mean do you even know what some of these games that are supposedly coming out in "March 2020" look like outside of the CGI?

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
If the Doom Eternal gameplay doesn't count I dunno why FF7R and WD:L get to count as gameplay demos. Doom Eternal actually showed several minutes of continuous gameplay unlike the other two.

I will also say I really liked what FF7R and WD:L did. Condensing down their 10-15 minute demo into a 3-5 minute gameplay montage with an explanation of how things work was brilliant.

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
What ? That's super wrong. A ton of games were shown with gameplay in the Xbox show.

There's a distinction between 'brief clips of gameplay' and 'a period where we can actually watch some take place and see how it all hangs together'

I only watched bits of Inside Xbox, but I wonder if they went deeper there for some bits? I wonder if that's the future model people are aiming for, a bit like Nintendo have had some success with in recent years; conferences for announcements, follow-up shows for deeper dives.

Rust

Jan 24, 2018
Marvel's Avengers.
Gears of War.
Halo Infinite.
Deathloop.
Ghostwire.
Cyberpunk.

Just to name a few
Looks like IGN will have an Avengers preview later this week, which should have some footage.
Gears 5 Escape footage is out now.
Cyberpunk apparently will be played for journos this week too, so there's a good chance we'll see pre-played footage this week too.

The E3 show hasn't really started yet!

The rest I would love to see footage for (Ghostwire is totally up my alley), but we don't even have dates for Deathloop and Ghostwire, with a good chance of them being next-gen. I think some devs are being cautious with potential next-gen footage so we don't get a "Watch Dogs 1" situation again, as I doubt that any console specs are finalised yet.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so glad I skipped this year's show for the first time in a decade. Y'all really sat through 6 hours worth of trailers you could watch on YT and leaked announcements like Game Pass and not even specs of the Scarlet, literally "it'll run in 8K 144fps". Anyone who gave 6 hours for this...you could have spent that time actually playing a fun game.
Or you know, doing both like I was.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
tenor.gif

You're so cool, wow.

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Triple-As often debut with CGI stuff but nearly all indies we saw were actual gameplay, even if bits and pieces and not uncut.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Sometimes the numbers and odds add up to where a lot of games are in development but none of them are quite ready. It's an unfortunate possibility but it happens. That's why I like the Treehouse at least, because it's almost all gameplay.

The real kicker is not showing gameplay of games that are clearly coming out soon, which is more worrisome. How does FF7 have more gameplay shown than like...every other title when it's not coming out til March of next year? Weird.

Dr. Mario

Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
I haven't even watched any of the conferences. No point anymore. They're just trailers with some blabla. Just see the trailers you think are interesting afterwards.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Doom Eternal definitely had an extended gameplay demo, that was not all a trailer.

Still pretty sad.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
I feel like it must still be a big secret that pretty much every major publisher attending E3 has hours of gameplay demos in livestreams and press events after the conference ends.

Do you all just close the conference stream and then unplug your routers to make sure that no more news or footage has any chance of accidentally penetrating your screen?

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Sure it sucks but I prefer that over fake gameplay. If they are not ready to show gameplay then that's ok. Because the same people complaining about no gameplay will be the ones complaining about gowngrade on release. After Anthem I think companies are reluctant on showing their games too early.

Deleted member 15227

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
These gigs are generally for the Press and industry professionals right? Perhaps these groups aren't so demanding as well are. Disclaimer: I was disappointed to - I still remember the awesome Halo 2 trailer and how much it rocked my world

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
i honestly think it's just due to awkward timing (end of one gen start of a new one) and developers/publisher being absolutely shit scared of being involved in a downgrade controversy. demoing games early only really serves to hurt a title, because god forbid the developers move a fucking puddle. i can't say i blame them.

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
You skipped watching a large game event solely for the purpose of being able to gloat about it, for whatever reason, on a gaming forum?...

ResetERA.

rein

Apr 16, 2018
Honestly i prefer this than developers wasting time and resources to make a playable demo for E3.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
That's what happens when they have to spend months on a early demo only to have y'all nitpick and shitpost about downgrades.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo will definitely have at least one game they go too in-depth with the gameplay, where they decide to breakdown minute details about the options menu and explain how each and every system in the game works.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's what happens when they have to spend months on a early demo only to have y'all nitpick and shitpost about downgrades.

Do you really believe this? Take Gears 5 for instance. The game releases in Sept and they opted to show gameplay at a panel today instead of during their presser.

SuzanoSho

Dec 25, 2017
I feel like it must still be a big secret that pretty much every major publisher attending E3 has hours of gameplay demos in livestreams and press events after the conference ends.

Do you all just close the conference stream and then unplug your routers to make sure that no more news or footage has any chance of accidentally penetrating your screen?
The complaint is that the gameplay didn't happen DURING the presser here...

Because that's what matters the most. The exact time the gameplay is shown. Not the actual existence of gameplay...

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Do you really believe this? Take Gears 5 for instance. The game releases in Sept and they opted to show gameplay at a panel today instead of during their presser.
Yes i do. You just have to look at spiderman last year.

These people crunch to get a demo done in time and ERA (aswell as others) shitpost about a dumb puddle.

Why would you still spent time on the demo and the fallout instead of waiting for the final product?

Also if Gears has gameplay why are people crying about it?

Bitmap Frogs

Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Mass Effect Andromeda meme situation, Witcher 3 downgrade controversy, Puddle Gate. Sadly I feel like we only have ourselves to blame. Gamers can be an ultra negative bunch.

Yes, it's our fault for complaining about false advertising.

File this into the "yet another thing that if it happened in any other business sector the company would have been fined/sued but because it's a videogame instead, somehow, it's the consumer fault" folder.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
Last year Sony showed 4 gameplay demos just to give some perspective.

That ghost of Tsushima demo is more memorable than anything from Microsoft's stage this year outside of Keanu Reeves.......good gameplay makes lasting impressions. Look at how many talk about the last of us demo they showed.

If they had shown Halo: infinite gameplay this year I bet a lot would be talking about it. But the spotlight will be on watch dogs, and FFVII

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't realise how integral game demonstrations were to watching E3 conferences until now.

Without them you have conferences feeling like a 90 minute sizzle reel, lacking a meaningful dive into anything.

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes i do. You just have to look at spiderman last year.

These people crunch to get a demo done in time and ERA (aswell as others) shitpost about a dumb puddle.

Why would you still spent time on the demo and the fallout instead of waiting for the final product?

Also if Gears has gameplay why are people crying about it?

I think in general crunching to get a one off demo done is silly. I hope it goes away.

There were a lot more eyes at Microsoft's presser than a random panel.