DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Basically, can anyone think of a generation before this that we haven't seen the console before pre orders opened up?

I was having a group chat on discord yesterday, and no one could think of a console where the press or anyone hadn't had real life demo units on display or shown to them, even a none working build in front of them in a glass case.

we used to see E3 where there would be demo units and hands on with the press. Does anyone else think it's pretty bad that Sony opened up pre orders for this console with nothing but a render shot?

even mobile phones have hands on When they are announced.

basically, my main question is..can anyone think of a generation this has happened with before?

just to add, I genuinely don't believe it is for any reason technically, so let's not even entertain that in this thread Please.

im more inclined that Sony are potentially ashamed of the size of it? and don't want people to actually see it in a real world environment. Obviously, they have no choice once it's released but why not show it before they let people put money down on it? That's all we could come up with in the discord chat, anyway.

what do you think?

its got me and my circle, baffled lol

Jayde Six

Feb 2, 2019
It does seem like such a weird launch, In addition to the things you said I expected lots of commercials to hype up it's features and yet we still know just the general basics.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I feel like they've been trying to hide the fact that it's so damn massive, potentially to avoid early memes, size comparisons and mockery. The thing is seemingly set to make even the OG PS3 look sprightly, which is a feat all in itself lol.

The thing is, eventually people are going to get their hands on it, see full size comparisons etc, might as well get ahead of it in a more marketable manner, eg with a full tear down showing the cooling solution etc. Hopefully that all comes soon, have to imagine it'll be in the coming weeks or so.

Last edited:

panda-zebra

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Sony are ashamed of their console? lol, gtfo with that nonsense, please. Expecting them to do anything in person right now is beyond unreasonable for obvious reasons.

They've shown games, plenty of them, on real hardware. I think that's the important thing to consider here.

DieH@rd

Oct 26, 2017
Send it to the influencers, actually show their own teams holding it, like every other Sony console That's been released?
Ea5nWRcXYAAF9a7.jpg:large

OP
OP
DrDeckard

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I feel like they've been trying to hide the fact that it's so damn massive. The thing is seemingly set to make even the OG PS3 look sprightly, which is a feat all in itself lol.

The thing is, eventually people are going to get their hands on it, see full size comparisons etc, might as well get ahead of it in a more marketable manner, eg with a full tear down showing the cooling solution etc.

this is how I feel, justify its size. Don't hide it away until tech people are just like what is this monstrosity. Explain why the cooling makes it that size, why it's silent etc.

Cosmo Kramer

Prophet of Regret - Chicken Chaser
Oct 28, 2017
México
I'm ready to not be ready when i actually see how big it is, i mean, i expect it to be big but i know i'll still be in shock when i actually see it myself

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I mean, Microsoft is sending dummies and sometimes even real units out to press, so the people who think it is important must exist.
Personally I don't think it's necessary, what Sony is doing is completely fine. The Xbox Ikea thread was cool though.

Neural

Oct 27, 2017
Italy
They're probably willing to avoid size comparisons for as long as they can. Especially now that Xbox has got that tiny-weeny Series S.

Expecting them to do anything in person right now is beyond unreasonable for obvious reasons.
Oh c'mon. This doesn't make any sense when Xbox boxes have been shown multiple times. Even the Quest 2 could be tested by the press.

OP
OP
DrDeckard

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
They're probably willing to avoid size comparisons for as long as they can. Especially now that Xbox has got that tiny-weeny Series S.

Oh c'mon. This doesn't make any sense when Xbox boxes have been shown multiple times. Even the Quest 2 could be tested by the press.

this is what I mean. Take the quest 2, they were hands on with it at announcement. I don't think it's off to ask the question, how has no one seen this thing in the flesh yet?

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
We have from the fcc filing 2 weeks ago with measurements. We should be worried if we hadn't seen any gameplay running on it as u know these are game machines not art pieces and they follow their marketing plan for getting it to people hands 😜😂

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
You think Sony are ashamed of the console they constantly use in their marketing?

You're just over thinking it. There are various weird things about the way both console are being marketed relative to normal console launches. We've basically not seen next gen games running on an X yet either. Yet by the time we get anywhere near launch all these things will have happened and we'll have long since forgotten that it took longer than usual.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
These consoles will be in peoples hands in 6 weeks. Who cares!! The size of the console is the least of my concerns.

You think Sony are ashamed of the console they constantly use in their marketing?

You're just over thinking it. There are various weird things about the way both console are being marketed relative to normal console launches. We've basically not seen next gen games running on an X yet either. Yet by the time we get anywhere near launch all these things will have happened and we'll have long since forgotten that it took longer than usual.
Agree. Nobody is going to care about any of this after the 2nd week of November.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
Since you ask; I think that I don't give a shit. I know that it's one of the worst industrial designs I've seen. I know it's huge. I know that I'm getting one. I'm more interested in the software.

Would I like Sony to give us more news / information? Sure. But it doesn't really matter, when they show more stuff, whether it's this week or one week before launch. If I don't like what I see - I can cancel my preorder? It's that easy. :lol

oRuin

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think Sony are really all that concerned with the size of the console they actually designed. Honestly, come on.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
Sony went from planning hundreds of events this year to nearly 0 which would have required physical, I don't think it's as complicated as it's been made out and that they're prioritizing certain things over others in these times but it's clear that Sony are building up to showing it off to others when we've seen and heard people have physical consoles at the moment.

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I feel that the hardware itself this gen is not really their focus in attention, they have the weaker hardware and their design is not universally liked.
Microsoft seems far more confident when it comes to their hardware which seems to be well designed and without obvious flaws.
But we'll get hands on soon anyway as the console will release in a few weeks. I'm ready for some surprises though and can't wait to see what it looks from the inside.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Look at it this way.

To market PS5 Sony is using games, because they have some good looking exclusives.

Xbox doesnt, so the focus is on how it looks like physically, and BC.

Different marketing points based on their strengths.

Serious Sam

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Also:

www.resetera.com

Official PS5 images (with measurements) from fccid.io

All credit goes to Roberto Serrano (@geronimo_73). Pics with added rulers for size: All units come with a base (and an HDMI cable - no PS3 'Nam flashbacks): More tweets with direct links to the sources starting here. Rule me out if old.
These images annoy me and it's so frustrating that we still don't have anything else. They show PS5 in unatural angles that no one will normally see. I want to see how it actually looks when used normally as a console.

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I feel that the hardware itself this gen is not really their focus in attention, they have the weaker hardware and their design is not universally liked.
Microsoft seems far more confident when it comes to their hardware which seems to be well designed and without obvious flaws.
But we'll get hands on soon anyway as the console will release in a few weeks. I'm ready for some surprises though and can't wait to see what it looks from the inside.
Thats great ms is confident but has ms shown this hardware power of xsx yet 1 month and a week before launch ?

PSOreo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why does it feel like a lot of posts recently are stuck in a loop? There's a strange shift towards constant questions about where is PS5 and other weird knocks against PlayStation while every other post is boosting Xbox PR.

bbq of doom

Oct 25, 2017
These images annoy me and it's so frustrating that we still don't have anything else. They show PS5 in unatural angles that no one will normally see. I want to see how it actually looks when used normally as a console.

Influencers have it now. I was simply posting because OP's assertion is factually incorrect.

nath999

May 7, 2018
We're suppose to be seeing more next week but it's not like it really matters, the console is already sold out.