• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am a software engineer working for a government contractor on air traffic systems. Just found out that we will probably not be allowed to work at all if the shutdown continues into February, and will have to use vacation hours for pay.

Fuck Republicans. Fuck Trump. And if you're a Republican, a non voter, or vote for anyone other than Democrats (unless you're in a rare case where there are actually 3 viable candidates), fuck you. You're doing more damage than any terrorist or foreign nation to your fellow countrymen.

Love,

GaimeGuy

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
This is going to get really bad if Trump decides to keep being stupid. REALLY bad.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you don't actually work for the government, how can your employer force you to take vacation hours? You're under contract, right? This sounds like an employment lawsuit waiting to happen.

Oct 28, 2017
The contractor may not be getting paid, so have cash flow problems?

But yes, this is shitty, there are tens (hundreds?) of thousands of people who are already in this position, it's awful.

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017
If you don't actually work for the government, how can your employer force you to take vacation hours? You're under contract, right? This sounds like an employment lawsuit waiting to happen.
Probably because the company isn't receiving the payment they're due from the government, so at the same time, they don't have enough cash flows to pay their own employees.

OP
OP
GaimeGuy

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The federal contract is approved, the program is approved, but we can't receive payment from the government, thus it'd be a violation of federal and state labor laws for us to work

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I am a software engineer working for a government contractor on air traffic systems. Just found out that we will probably not be allowed to work at all if the shutdown continues into February, and will have to use vacation hours for pay.

Fuck Republicans. Fuck Trump. And if you're a Republican, a non voter, or vote for anyone other than Democrats (unless you're in a rare case where there are actually 3 viable candidates), fuck you. You're doing more damage than any terrorist or foreign nation to your fellow countrymen.

Love,

GaimeGuy

Had this happen to me over Christmas dude. Wasn't related to the government shutdown but because of tariffs. Didn't have the vacation time to cover it.

Deleted member 35217

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2017
Lucky. I'm not getting paid on Friday and have had to work throughout the shutdown. If this lasts til February I'm beyond fucked.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
"And if you're a Republican, a non voter, or vote for anyone other than Democrats (unless you're in a rare case where there are actually 3 viable candidates), fuck you. You're doing more damage than any terrorist or foreign nation to your fellow countrymen."

Ah yes, there we have it again, blaming those who merely vote and don't hold the power instead of looking up and directing anger at those who do hold power. Classic divide and conquer politics.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
"And if you're a Republican, a non voter, or vote for anyone other than Democrats (unless you're in a rare case where there are actually 3 viable candidates), fuck you. You're doing more damage than any terrorist or foreign nation to your fellow countrymen."

Ah yes, there we have it again, blaming those who merely vote and don't hold the power instead of looking up and directing anger at those who do hold power. Classic divide and conquer politics.
Voting puts people in power, and when you vote you (should) know what they'll do. The voter is as culpable as the person they put in office. In this specific example, it is explicitly the republicans that voters put in office.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017

You're wrong.

You're not intelligent.

You're not helping.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Voting puts people in power, and when you vote you (should) know what they'll do. The voter is as culpable as the person they put in office.

Outside of the obvious examples of someone pulling a heelturn.

To me it just comes off as trying to feel better for oneself and putting a sense of superiority, like they know they won't get anywhere criticizing the establishment because they're too powerful so they spend their time attacking and trying to shame others. And tell me how it's the voters' fault when Hillary had more votes than Trump? That's a sign of a flawed system right there.

OP
OP
GaimeGuy

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Anyone who neglected to do their part to keep fascist sociopaths out of power let this shit happen to the rest of us. Yes I'm going to hold your ass accountable for the vote you cast or fail to cast, since that's what it means to live in a society. Every fucking time.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
To me it just comes off as trying to feel better for oneself and putting a sense of superiority, like they know they won't get anywhere criticizing the establishment because they're too powerful so they spend their time attacking and trying to shame others. And tell me how it's the voters' fault when Hillary had more votes than Trump? That's a sign of a flawed system right there.
I'm not speaking of the presidential election; The system for that is flawed in a different way than state-level elections. Thanks, though, for proving you don't get the point here.

We criticize the establishment plenty, but the establishment became what it is because people voted it into power. The Republicans in office right now would literally not be there if not for the people who wanted them to be. And those are the people hurting others at this precise moment.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Anyone who neglected to do their part to keep fascist sociopaths out of power let this shit happen to the rest of us. Yes I'm going to hold your ass accountable for the vote you cast or fail to cast, since that's what it means to live in a society.

Guess who had more votes in the presidential election? Not Trump.

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017
Don't worry OP, this shutdown will be over before Tuesday of next week.

You can quote me on that.

Oct 25, 2017

Lmao. Who do you think gave those people the power they currently hold? And they knew this would happen because everyone told them this would happen. They are responsible.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not speaking of the presidential election; The system for that is flawed in a different way than state-level elections. Thanks, though, for proving you don't get the point here.

We criticize the establishment plenty, but the establishment became what it is because people voted it into power. The Republicans in office right now would literally not be there if not for the people who wanted them to be. And those are the people hurting others at this precise moment.

The establishment became what it is because we've had no revolution. The US was founded by slave owning white males, and that system of continuation has existed ever since. People need to stop assuming that we can eliminate racism and exploitation and the like in a system that is specifically designed to perpetuate it. I have no idea what shaming third party and non-voters will do. Is it going to encourage them to vote Democrat? I'm pretty sure that treating them as scum is not going to have the desired effect.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Lmao. Who do you think gave those people the power they currently hold? And they knew this would happen because everyone told them this would happen. They are responsible.

The state gave them the power, and those who benefit from the state are the ones who want to maintain it. There's a reason why upon Trump's presidential victory that Obama, Clinton and many Democrats urged people to accept the results; they benefit from the current system so they don't want it to be overthrown.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
The establishment became what it is because we've had no revolution. The US was founded by slave owning white males, and that system of continuation has existed ever since. People need to stop assuming that we can eliminate racism and exploitation and the like in a system that is specifically designed to perpetuate it. I have no idea what shaming third party and non-voters will do. Is it going to encourage them to vote Democrat? I'm pretty sure that treating them as scum is not going to have the desired effect.
Yeah, I'm out. You're wrong on nearly all points. Viva la revolucion I guess.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
I have two super important international business trips in the next 2 weeks. I'm not loving the notion that my air traffic controllers, TSA and whatnot may not have been paid for over a month before i get on the flights.

This could mean major major delays.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC

i didn't realize people could have such a fundamental misunderstanding of the democratic process, but here it is

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
i didn't realize people could have such a fundamental misunderstanding of the democratic process, but here it is

The US is a "democracy" I guess, but one with voter suppression, gerrymandering, politicians who lie and don't keep their promises, one where two parties take advantage of their duopoly and essentially provide no real improvement and base their votes on the argument that they're better than the other party.

Deleted member 41638

Banned
Apr 3, 2018
Yeah, I'm out. You're wrong on nearly all points. Viva la revolucion I guess.

He's right about saying "fuck you" to third-party and non-voters isn't a good way to expand support for your party. I feel for OP and it sucks that they have to suffer because of this shitty situation but when they tell me to fuck off because I didn't vote for Democrats why should I help or even talk to someone with so much animosity towards me?

https://www.house.gov/representatives

Find out who your congressman is, send them an email explaining OP's situation, explain that average Americans, their constituents, are suffering due to this childish standoff. Explain that they can help the ~800,000 Americans that are suffering right now by opening the government again, there's nothing to be gained by shutting down the government.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
He's right about saying "fuck you" to third-party and non-voters isn't a good way to expand support for your party. I feel for OP and it sucks that they have to suffer because of this shitty situation but when they tell me to fuck off because I didn't vote for Democrats why should I help or even talk to someone with so much animosity towards me?

https://www.house.gov/representatives

Find out who your congressman is, send them an email explaining OP's situation, explain that average Americans, their constituents, are suffering due to this childish standoff. Explain that they can help the ~800,000 Americans that are suffering right now by opening the government again, there's nothing to be gained by shutting down the government.
Your fallacy is called cutting off your nose to spite your face.

You won't vote democrat because someone is mad at you for putting someone in power that is explicitly preventing them from getting paid. If being called a name is enough to make you vote for someone's suffering, you weren't going to help them in the first place. There isn't even a questionable doubt right now. Senate republicans are why people aren't getting paid. Full. Stop. And anyone who helped put them there should hold a portion of that blame.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

You won't vote democrat because someone is mad at you for putting someone in power that is explicitly preventing them from getting paid. If being called a name is enough to make you vote for someone's suffering, you weren't going to help them in the first place. There isn't even a questionable doubt right now. Senate republicans are why people aren't getting paid. Full. Stop. And anyone who helped put them there should hold a portion of that blame.

Why should people vote unquestionably for Democrats? It's the Democrats' jobs to convince people to vote for them. If they can't accomplish that maybe they actually need to put forth policies and initiatives that will gain support.

Gaf Zombie

The Fallen
Dec 13, 2017
The US is a "democracy" I guess, but one with voter suppression, gerrymandering, politicians who lie and don't keep their promises, one where two parties take advantage of their duopoly and essentially provide no real improvement and base their votes on the argument that they're better than the other party.

I don't disagree with most of the points you're making, but we don't need to coddle people who won't even try to complete their civic duty. There is a lot of suppression and other bullshit going on, but if my ancestors can brave being attacked by dogs for their right to vote, then surely I can wait in line for a little while.

Winner picks loser's avi until the end of Jan?

Deleted member 41638

Banned
Apr 3, 2018

The democrat in my district lost by more than 60k votes so it wasn't even close. Senator vote was closer but I liked the libertarian candidate's positions more, they would have fought against the idea of continuing resolutions which are part of the reason we have these shutdowns.

I'll agree the GOP is largely to blame but they aren't the only ones. Both parties' leaders are just talking past each other and to their own base, they aren't trying to work together for a compromise, they are trying to win the PR war so they can be in a stronger position for 2020.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Why should people vote unquestionably for Democrats? It's the Democrats' jobs to convince people to vote for them. If they can't accomplish that maybe they actually need to put forth policies and initiatives that will gain support.
In this case, I agree. And I'm not disagreeing with the fact that democrats need to do better. They're on the right track if the last election was anything to go by (it's a poor metric but it's all we have at this time). However, there are always going to be people that want nothing to do with the big (D) next to someone's name. I'm going to shame them. I want them to feel bad for directly contributing to someone's suffering.

In this past election, we unfortunately only had 2 choices. One that was more likely to help people, and one we knew would continue to harm people. If you voted for the party that we knew would continue to do harm, you are at fault. If you stood by and watched without saying anything, you are at fault.

You don't have to be the one to swing the sword.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
The democrat in my district lost by more than 60k votes so it wasn't even close. Senator vote was closer but I liked the libertarian candidate's positions more, they would have fought against the idea of continuing resolutions which are part of the reason we have these shutdowns.

I'll agree the GOP is largely to blame but they aren't the only ones. Both parties' leaders are just talking past each other and to their own base, they aren't trying to work together for a compromise, they are trying to win the PR war so they can be in a stronger position for 2020.
DP but:

Mugger: Give me $19,999 or I'll kill you.
Me: What? No! I don't even have that much. I'll give you $600.
Me: Is killed.

You: Well it's not just the mugger's fault. He could have just paid him!

FeliciaFelix

Oct 27, 2017

This is fucking idiotic. If the Dem platform of "not setting the world on fire" isnt good enough for you, what is? Are you seriously gonna vote R instead and watch the world burn cuz D isnt hipster enough for you? Fuck you, cretin asshole, you are no better than Trump supporter.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017

what? they've suggested passing other budgets with spending bills that aren't DHS, there was talk about a bill containing funding for border security but not a wall early in december. pretty sure one side is willing to compromise to get something done and the other side just wants his wall. just out of curiosity who was the libertarian candidate in your district?

Horns

Dec 7, 2018
Similar situation. Give it another week or two and people may be asked to go home. Already have staff with nothing to do. Sounds like this may go on longer than I thought.

Deleted member 41638

Banned
Apr 3, 2018
DP but:

Mugger: Give me $19,999 or I'll kill you.
Me: What? No! I don't even have that much. I'll give you $600.
Me: Is killed.

You: Well it's not just the mugger's fault. He could have just paid him!

More like I voted for someone that I think has better ideas than the parties in power and would be a voice against the gridlock that plagues DC. Or I could have voted for a shitty two-party system that clearly is working less and less.

Hassel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is this what is it slike to post 100% based on emotion and void of rational thought or discourse?

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
More like I voted for someone that I think has better ideas than the parties in power and would be a voice against the gridlock that plagues DC. Or I could have voted for a shitty two-party system that clearly is working less and less.
I agree that this is a good thing. I almost always do the same thing.

However. This time around? I think it was irresponsible to do so, and I'm sure my LGBT and other minority friends would agree that not lighting the house on fire was more important than my own desires. I don't see how that's a hard thing to grasp. One party is fine with people dying. They've proven it in the last 2 years. The other is, at the very least, saying they want to stop that.

And yeah, as other people have said. The Democrats have reached for compromise. It just isn't one that explicitly gives the $5.7 billion wall. What more do you want them to do? Capitulate entirely?

Last edited:

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This is fucking idiotic. If the Dem platform of "not setting the world on fire" isnt good enough for you, what is? Are you seriously gonna vote R instead and watch the world burn cuz D isnt hipster enough for you? Fuck you, cretin asshole, you are no better than Trump supporter.

Nope, I'm not going to vote Republican. That was just an assumption on your part.

OP
OP
GaimeGuy

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, let me break it down for you:

Do you see this asshole?

He's a republican. He's president.

Do you see these assholes?

https://www.gop.gov/about/members/

https://www.republicanleader.senate.gov/senate-resources/republican-senators

They're Republicans in Congress. All of them. 99% of the time they support and ally with Trump.

The assholes above are those responsible for the shutdown and fucking comic book supervillains.

Want to see everyone that isn't a Republican in the legislature?

https://www.dems.gov/who-we-are/our-members

https://www.democrats.senate.gov/about-senate-dems/our-caucus

Notice a pattern? Here, I'll spell it out - every single Non-Republican caucuses with the Democrats. All but two are democrats, and those wno aren't are independent in name only, as they never caucus against the democrats or affiliate with any other political party, not even after 30 or 40 years. One of them even ran as a Democrat for President and was runner up.

So, for all intents and purposes, the only candidates that can keep Republicans out of power are Democrats. No other party or individual of a different partisan affiliation can, in any region of the country, no matter how big or small, emergr victorious, or even present a viable chance of victory.

So, in this society we call America, regardless of your ideoligical leanings, there are only two realistic outcomes to expect: a Democrat, or a Republican. For most of us, neither individual is the optimal candidate for our inclinations; That would be ourselves, but you can't get anywhere with 300 million candidates receiving 1 vote each from themselves. So we go for the best candidate available out of the plausible victors. Makes sense, right? Unfortunately the set size of plausible victors is no greater than two. You can either vote for a democratic leaning candidate with the best chance of victory, for all his or her shortcomings, or you can vote for a Republican, a party that leaves nothing but destruction and misery in its wake when it has power, and whose best to offer is Donald Fucking Trump, the inspiration for a god damn Muppet villain who enjoys nigh unanimous public and official support from Rs.

The choices and viable paths are readily apparent. Choose the best one available, if not for yourself, then for your neighbors, your allies, your home, your very planet. If you don't, and, well, this happens, your apathy wound up becoming complicity.

Jesus christ.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Non voters are just as responsible for the Trump administration as Republican voters. Don't try to justify your non vote by blaming the system. That's the system your country has chosen to use so every American must deal with it.