Mugy

Oct 28, 2017
Post more saturn games, you guys. What are your favorite arcade games that are sprite-based? im curious

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
Prikura Daisakusen
TO3bwcI.gif

Guardian Heroes
LtA0wBP.gif

Princess Crown
hvXQDCk.gif

iamaustrian

Nov 27, 2017
Not to play Debbie Downer here but, in my opinion, Guardian Heroes is one of the ugliest and most unpleasing looking "2D" games ever and I do not understand why people are bringing it constantly up in discussions like this one in this thread.

OP
OP
TaySan

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Not to play Debbie Downer here but, in my opinion, Guardian Heroes is one of the ugliest and most unpleasing looking "2D" games ever and I do not understand why people are bringing it constantly up in discussions like this one in this thread.
geekout-570x300.jpg

Eye of the beholder and all of that jaz, but i love the artsyle! :O Maybe i shouldn't have just said Saturn and included Neo Geo, PS1. Really that era of gaming in general games look so much appealing to me than whats comming out lately.

D.Lo

Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
I dont think it ever dethroned the Neo Geo
It could do essentially perfect Neo Geo ports (with loading times) with improved CD soundtracks. KOF97 on Saturn is the ultimate version apart from the loading, a Real Bout Special and Samurai Spirits IV are possibly the ultimate versions full stop due to the improved soundtracks. NGCD had the same soundtracks but longer loads and more frames cut.

And much more, including better than flawless CPS2 conversions like Zero 3. So yes it did, easily, in technology.

Futaleufu

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
It could do essentially perfect Neo Geo ports (with loading times) with improved CD soundtracks. KOF97 on Saturn is the ultimate version apart from the loading, a Real Bout Special and Samurai Spirits IV are possibly the ultimate versions full stop due to the improved soundtracks. NGCD had the same soundtracks but longer loads and more frames cut.

And much more, including better than flawless CPS2 conversions like Zero 3. So yes it did, easily, in technology.

KOF97 in Saturn looks the part but the audio is muffled/overcompressed so it could fit the 1 MB RAM cart.
I doubt it could do games like Garou or Metal Slug 3 just because of RAM limits. CPS2 games were easier to port, by 1995 SNK was making games like Real Bout that wouldnt fit the CPS2 rom size limit.

But yeah, make a 16 MB RAM cart and you could even port SF3:3S to the Saturn.

Mr.Vic20

Oct 31, 2017
Ori and the Blind Forest anyone? I loved my Saturn, but this is pure nostalgia talking here.

OP
OP
TaySan

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
the biggest problem you're gonna have is that not many people have the time nor the money to spend on a 2D game like they did back then

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
giphy.gif

Cuphead

CleverOffbeatAmericanwirehair-size_restricted.gif

Rayman Legends

tumblr_mlk04lADP91s07v26o1_500.gif

LIMBO

giphy.gif

Ori and the Blind Forest

aef3878c7c4d57faa5d4eb3a8f075574.gif

Dead Cells

IndolentReasonableDove-size_restricted.gif

Owlboy

giphy.gif

Mark of the Ninja

giphy.gif

The Messenger

62678D9425BC0DD0BCA5F3FDEB00C577E5BBC4D0

Tembo the Badass Elephant

giphy.gif

Westerado Double Barreled

bastion-gif-3.gif

Bastion

4ddcbca524d06e6db7b2bf7d218b72e8.gif

Transistor

We're in the golden age of 2D games. Saturn was great but it's nowhere NEAR what we have access to now.

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
I was watching a video on Saturn exclusives and found out this game from Enix: Nanatsu kaze no shima monogatari

The game looks really impressive with the animations and artwork/sprites.

This looks incredible. Instead of unique games like this, we get keep getting generic military shooters. I guess blame the people buying these games? Do we really need a new Call of Duty game every year? It sells, so I guess we do.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This is a very specific request but are there any examples of good use of parallax scrolling in modern 2D titles? It's the one thing I often find lacking even if the general art direction is gorgeous. Backgrounds can often feel a little flat in motion.
Ori and Hollow Knight.

6FsUA0G.gif

IMIi2Nh.gif

p8LHoq7.gif

hmzmySN.gif

OP
OP
TaySan

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
This looks incredible. Instead of unique games like this, we get keep getting generic military shooters. I guess blame the people buying these games? Do we really need a new Call of Duty game every year? It sells, so I guess we do.
Don't get me started on how Shooters have taken a leap back from it's hyper gameplay focused roots to that of sub par narrative blockbuster experiences. But that topic is for a separate thread.:x

Moebius

Oct 28, 2017
Don't get me started on how Shooters have taken a leap back from it's hyper gameplay focused roots to that of sub par narrative blockbuster experiences. But that topic is for a separate thread.:x

So true. Back on topic, Cuphead to me, is one of the most visually exciting games created in the last few decades. I really love the hand drawn animation. I can't wait to see what they do next. I hope it's a new game in a similar style.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
Thats why Saturn is my favorite Sega console. Most of the greats have been listed but I gotta rep Groove on fight too

d041686e712fa248b565f5e23a3c3f67.gif

tumblr_oqbl80afjh1r7sijxo1_500.gif

and this

Tbh gifs and videos don't do these games justice, on a TV real time they look amazing.

There's sadly very few indies that come close to the arcade quality pixel art and animation fluidity of Saturn games. When you see them in all purity on a HDTV with a nice upscaler nothing looks better. I detest that fat pixel art movement so common in indies, with their overuse of modern filters and boring shiny effects like this:

This game is a visual mess especially when there is action on screen and doesn't come close to the Saturn style 32 bit graphics.

OP
OP
TaySan

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Thats why Saturn is my favorite Sega console. Most of the greats have been listed but I gotta rep Groove on fight too

and this

Tbh gifs and videos don't do these games justice, on a TV real time they look amazing.

There's sadly very few indies that come close to the arcade quality pixel art and animation fluidity of Saturn games. When you see them in all purity on a HDTV with a nice upscaler nothing looks better. I detest that fat pixel art movement so common in indies, with their overuse of modern filters and boring shiny effects like this:

This game is a visual mess especially when there is action on screen and doesn't come close to the Saturn style 32 bit graphics.

I'm glad I'm not the only one on this as seen with other posters. For awhile I thought I was just being crazy.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

and this

I was thinking more like Symphony of the Night but with a way higher color count.

Oct 29, 2017
I don't think military shooters deserve the blamed for the lack of games like this, is not like the studios that make shooters would be making these unique Japanese titles. I guess the more important question would be, how come the west seems to be making more throwback 2D games today than Japan is when traditional animation more alive there.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
I'll help too.

Shinrei Jusatsushi Taroumaru

Albert Odyssey

Legend of Oasis/Story of Thor 2

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I always thought this in regards to GH. I am also in the boat that many if not every single one of those games have been surpassed, in many cases years ago.