• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So, since The Elder Scrolls VI is announced for next gen (and not even early next gen, after Starfield), we will end up going a whole generation without a new Elder Scrolls game. In fact, assuming my release date predictions are true (2021 for Starfield, 2023 for TES6), it'll be well over a decade since Skyrim came out before we get an actual true follow up.

Like, holy shit.

On one hand, kudos to Bethesda for not rushing out a sequel to capitalize on the insane success Skyrim had (instead they just ported Skyrim to everything...). But on the other hand, holy shit. No new The Elder Scrolls game for the entire generation, for the first time since the pre-N64 era. Like, damn.

Do you think this will also end up happening with GTA, or will Rockstar end up eking that one out by the end of this gen?

Aniki

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Means the next one will blow us away with how good it will look. Just like Oblivion did when it was first revealed. I really expect a huge leap.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
So, since The Elder Scrolls VI is announced for next gen (and not even early next gen, after Starfield), we will end up going a whole generation without a new Elder Scrolls game. In fact, assuming my release date predictions are true (2021 for Starfield, 2023 for TES6), it'll be well over a decade since Skyrim came out before we get an actual true follow up.

Like, holy shit.

On one hand, kudos to Bethesda for not rushing out a sequel to capitalize on the insane success Skyrim had (instead they just ported Skyrim to everything...). But on the other hand, holy shit. No new The Elder Scrolls game for the entire generation, for the first time since the pre-N64 era. Like, damn.

Do you think this will also end up happening with GTA, or will Rockstar end up eking that one out by the end of this gen?

I´d rather have them rushing a Skyrim sequel than wasting years of development time on crap like Fallout 76.

Oct 25, 2017
It's odd.
I guess Blades is probably coming to PS4 and Switch but I'm not sure if that counts.
That they're making two Fallout games is also weird since I always thought ES was bigger

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
With the evolution of the industry to which the projects are increasingly larger and larger, require more and more resources this will become more normal with the AAA

This would be a bubble if it were not because now they can monetize these gigantic games more by GaaS and DLCs

z0m3le

Oct 25, 2017
Elder Scrolls Online was 2014 iirc, and for the fun of it, blade is an ES game.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's odd.
I guess Blades is probably coming to PS4 and Switch but I'm not sure if that counts.
That they're making two Fallout games is also weird since I always thought ES was bigger
Well, they also did two Fallout games between Oblivion and Skyrim (technically)

I mean, yes and no?

Elder Scrolls Online is technically another Elder Scrolls game
You should preface single player as ESO was this gen.
There's definitely a lot of new Elder Scrolls projects in the interim; not counting the Skyrim ports, we've had TESO, Legends, and Blades. I just mean a new flagship game.

Oct 27, 2017

Like, holy shit.

It's disappointing, since I would have liked this gen to get some of everything, but after Bethesda's show I think more studios will announce that they're waiting for next gen. It sucks that we had to go through Skyrim everything for the last seven years or so rather than get a new setting.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Like it or not ESO is an elder scrolls game
And the way the writing, plot and choices were shallow in Skyrim, it really made no big difference just transforming the series in a mmo

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it's crazy and easily the biggest megaton of this E3. We have officially kickstarted next gen and no one has even announced any new consoles.

The implications of this announcement are absolutely game changing. one, developers like Bethesda are forcing Sony and MS's hands to release new gen consoles. Two, they are forcing other devs to step up their game instead of coasting along with cross gen games for years like they did this gen. And lastly, they are trusting the consumers to upgrade to next gen consoles instead of releasing a half baked game for the 100-120 million userbase of this gen.

It's pretty remarkable.

fauxcalin

Dec 20, 2017
I don't this is that odd. a lot of the devs expressed their dissatisfaction with the tech used to make skyrim. Specifically one issue I've heard that really bothered them was the battles which felt smaller that they would have liked. I think it would be unreasonable to expect this game to come out until at least 2021-22, solely based on how they want to present the next world.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully this means less game breaking bugs next time.

Skyrim is still really fun though and has mods coming out all the time, so I'm gonna be fine.

Skyrim VR is pretty cool too.

You should preface single player as ESO was this gen.

This too. ES fans still have some fun stuff. Plus that Blades game that's coming out.

Doctre81

Oct 26, 2017
It wasn't announced for next gen. Devs and publishers still refer to current gen games as "next gen"

DjDeathCool

Oct 28, 2017
Bismarck, ND
I think Starfield ended up throwing their development cycle off. Otherwise we likely would have gotten a TES game before next gen. All I know is that these spinoffs are NOT scratching the itch for me.

Echelon079

Banned
Mar 26, 2018
I think alot of people missed the next gen comments, because I seriously still think alot of people consider this gen to still be next gen because of how long the 360 and ps3 ran

Chronos

Oct 27, 2017
There was Elder Scrolls online. I know it's not BGS or mainline, but they still did technically release one this gen.

Mikebison

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Big, huge games take a long time to make. The stars just didn't align for Elder Scrolls this gen.

philipnorth

Oct 31, 2017
To be honest I think it is better to do this right now then to release at the end of the hw cycle and the port to newer gen to cash Some more.

Yes its kinda bizarre, but I hope it just gives us a better game in the end.

Oct 27, 2017
I just had a look on wiki and Bethesda studios only have 180 people working for them. Not a big number compared to let's say CD project Red who have 700 people working for them or Rockstar who have their entire teams working on RDR 2 which is over 1000 people.

Unless they get help from other studios at Bethesda these two games are going to be a long time.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I wish we'd gone a whole gen without a Fallout game. Be careful what you wish for.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
There's definitely a lot of new Elder Scrolls projects in the interim; not counting the Skyrim ports, we've had TESO, Legends, and Blades. I just mean a new flagship game.

With the amount of content and expansion of the lore and setting in ESO, I hesitate to not call it flagship.
I'd hazard a chance to say ESO is essential for any fan of the series.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
Its unfortunate but a symptom of modern AAA game development. We simply can't have it all.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well, if it's any consolation Fallout 4 sucked.

And technically we did get Elder Scrolls Online, like it or not.

greekwolf

Oct 28, 2017
I get the distinct impression that Todd is obssessed with the Fallout universe and would vastly prefer to make 10 more games in that series before the next Elder Scrolls.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just had a look on wiki and Bethesda studios only have 180 people working for them. Not a big number compared to let's say CD project Red who have 700 people working for them or Rockstar who have their entire teams working on RDR 2 which is over 1000 people.

Unless they get help from other studios at Bethesda these two games are going to be a long time.
They've expanded greatly and now have over 300 people between the Austin and Maryland teams

Well, if it's any consolation Fallout 4 sucked.
It did not

Dwebble

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's really wild that they've announced a game that, best case scenario, is half a decade away.

Dec 17, 2017
If it means they're building a new engine and not having to put up with that janky-ass engine that powers Fallout/Elder Scrolls (Gamebryo?) then I'm happy to wait.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
With the amount of content and expansion of the lore and setting in ESO, I hesitate to not call it flagship.
I'd hazard a chance to say ESO is essential for any fan of the series.

From a lore perspective, you have a point. From a gameplay perspective, ESO is incredibly different from mainline Elder Scrolls.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I get the distinct impression that Todd is obssessed with the Fallout universe and would vastly prefer to make 10 more games in that series before the next Elder Scrolls.
Naw, I think he prefers TES more (it's why TES is always used to debut new tech, and is the series that they take more time on). That's probably why he wants to spend the time doing it right with each new TES game, while he has no issues just putting out a Fallout game and using that IP to experiment with all sorts of ideas. TES is sacrosanct.

Alienous

Oct 25, 2017

Why?

If anything I think he and the studio see The Elder Scrolls as the flagship title that has to make a big splash every time. As in 'we're not making one unless it's a massive leap'.

Status
Not open for further replies.