• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
How has no-one recommended Asura's Wrath yet

giphy.gif

Also, pretty much anything from Grasshopper.

EDIT

Oh, you're not really looking for action stuff. Move along then.
God I wish they would remaster/put this game on PC. Such an amazing experience, but the framerate bogs the entire game down. Especially on PS3.

weebro

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
Odin Sphere Leifthrasir. Not only is it a fantastic game with great gameplay and story but whats this?

odin-sphere-leifthrasir1280jpg-6dac76_1280w.jpg

Multiple waifus and husbandos detected

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kill la Kill is getting a game in a few months.

Also while it uses a more realistic art style now I'd still say Devil May Cry 5 is anime as shit.

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I would actually say that most Touhou games are pretty anime. Definitely recommend them nonetheless. Touhou 6, 7, and 8 are great places to start.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
Check the Utawarerumono games. The story is very good and there's some lite SRPG stuff to break it up. Really charming characters that you get attached to. Plus it has a conclusion.

Deleted member 18021

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I keep forgetting that Gainax and Hideaki Anno worked on this game

My roommate last semester introduced it to me, and I was honestly hooked as I was up till like 4am playing it. I was not expecting to like it as much as I did.

Later games in the series refuse to let you forget:

wGK6ft8.gif

PM2's the only one that really grabbed me, personally, but they're absolutely worth a look.
Sim games are fun.

Oct 25, 2017
Not a Japanese game, but its official site is waifubartending.com, so...

vljm38018_banner

VA-11 Hall-A. If you like visual novels, I highly recommend it. If you've never played a visual novel...I still highly recommend it.

It's also got a successor coming out some time in 2020. N1RV Ann-A

nivrana-cyberpunk-bartender-action-nintendo-switch-20180918-800x445.jpg

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The first two Ar Tonelico games are quite good, the second in particular is one of my favorite JRPGs. God tier soundtracks as well.

Just skip the third one...

Gespenst MKIV

Nov 1, 2017
I'm contractually obligated to name the Super Robot Wars series in this kinds of threads, they are a crossover games of various mecha proprieties that mix and mach their stories to form a complete narrative (for example, Simon from Gurren Lagann and Noriko from Gunbuster becoming mentors for the EVA kids, so they end up being better adjusted instead of their fates in the anime)
Here is the OT of the most recent one Super Robot Wars T: https://www.resetera.com/threads/su...arywoman-walks-into-fantasy-world-and.106424/
It has stuff like G Gundam and Cowboy Bebop and the English localization team has a bunch of people that used to work on fan translation of older titles

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Trails in the Sky/Trails of Zero/Trails of Cold Steel all have stories that start and end on their own accord, while also setting up more events to come.

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest
I enjoyed Attack on Titan 2 much more than I expected to. The game retells the story of season 1 and 2 from the perspective of an unnamed (player created) member of the squad. The gameplay can be a bit repetitive but at the same time it is really satisfying soaring through the air and slashing Titan's in the neck.

There is an expansion coming out this year that adds season 3. I'm not sure on the details but I think there is a bundle release too. Not sure if online is still active.

Gravity Rush games are also great in a slice of life sort of beat featuring a superhero Gravity Queen.

Dec 1, 2017
It is amazing!!! Please try it, same writer as Shadow of Memories which should be your next stop :D

Edit: ALSO PLEASE TRY TEAM TRAUMA!!! If you have a Wii or a Wii U, it's available for both.

It's like crazy fun and the story is mindblowing :D :D :D

smile

Intro:

Plus an exquisite OST :D

If you try it, please do an LTTP >:D

Oh god I never finished this but I really wanna go through it and actually finish it

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
I don't know if there's a more anime game this generation than Xenoblade 2.

I can respect Xenoblade 2 for nailing the feeling of a decent sized shonen anime packed into a single game. It even has "comedic" boring filler arcs that go nowhere.

The accolades trailer even puts the quote "If you're a fan of anime, buy it now" as a highlighted selling point.

Last edited:

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
If you don't care about story being more or less like a side story ova of sorts, Fate/Extella Link is arguably best Anime Musou currently on the market. But since one of the requirements is "good story" maybe not.

Mar 18, 2019
Visual novels:

Clannad
Steins Gate
Grisaia
MuvLuv
Ace Attorney
YU-NO
Higurashi: When They Cry
Snatcher
Policenauts
Fate/Stay Night

Oct 26, 2017
I'm contractually obligated to name the Super Robot Wars series in this kinds of threads, they are a crossover games of various mecha proprieties that mix and mach their stories to form a complete narrative (for example, Simon from Gurren Lagann and Noriko from Gunbuster becoming mentors for the EVA kids, so they end up being better adjusted instead of their fates in the anime)
Here is the OT of the most recent one Super Robot Wars T: https://www.resetera.com/threads/su...arywoman-walks-into-fantasy-world-and.106424/
It has stuff like G Gundam and Cowboy Bebop and the English localization team has a bunch of people that used to work on fan translation of older titles

I am required by law to state that I support this statement.

Also I didn't know they got fan translators on board for these, that's very neat.

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017
I feel anyone who's into anime long enough eventually realizes manga is actally the real deal. Yeah, the animation and voice acting is nice, but it's like book to movie adaptations in that 9 times out of 10 the book was just better.

Games have become really good at capturing anime style action in actual gameplay though..

Metallia

May 31, 2018
I'm gonna second Odin Sphere Leifthrasir but honestly it sounds like any JRPG that doesn't have an open ending might satisfy OPs itch. It might help to pick a specific genre and people can go from there with recommendations maybe?

I feel anyone who's into anime long enough eventually realizes manga is actally the real deal. Yeah, the animation and voice acting is nice, but it's like book to movie adaptations in that 9 times out of 10 the book was just better.
It really depends on what it is about anime and what kind of anime you like. If you're in it primarily for the stories and you watch a lot of adaptive material then typically, yes, you're going to end up appreciating the original material more for its take on the story involved. However personally most of my favourites are anime that aren't adaptions and are typically designed around the medium (most of Triggers and Gainaxs stuff for example, shows like LWA and TTGL take specific advantage of the animation medium in their presentation and lose that in their manga adaptions).

Mhj

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Adding anime makes everything better. Prove me wrong.

Ant_17

Oct 28, 2017
Greece
Not a Japanese game, but its official site is waifubartending.com, so...

vljm38018_banner

VA-11 Hall-A. If you like visual novels, I highly recommend it. If you've never played a visual novel...I still highly recommend it.

It's also got a successor coming out some time in 2020. N1RV Ann-A

nivrana-cyberpunk-bartender-action-nintendo-switch-20180918-800x445.jpg
Personal thanks friend. Was looking for the game but forgot the name.
As for op
Jump force. Literal anime game.

ChaserX

Nov 1, 2017
Miami, FL
This may sound ridiculous, but the Kingdom Hearts series. For some, it can be seen as Naruto/Bleach mixed with Disney. Even has its own manga series that's also entertaining.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
428 Shibuya Scramble. Wholesome anime portrayed in real life

There's even unlockable anime portrayed as anime

Suikodan

Oct 25, 2017
I enjoyed Attack on Titan 2 much more than I expected to. The game retells the story of season 1 and 2 from the perspective of an unnamed (player created) member of the squad. The gameplay can be a bit repetitive but at the same time it is really satisfying soaring through the air and slashing Titan's in the neck.

There is an expansion coming out this year that adds season 3. I'm not sure on the details but I think there is a bundle release too. Not sure if online is still active.

Gravity Rush games are also great in a slice of life sort of beat featuring a superhero Gravity Queen.

+1 for AoT2

Ok, I'm probably biased since I'm on a AoT rush at the moment (finishing season 2) so playing the game add to the experience. You get closer to the characters in the game in terms of discovering their personalities and whatnot. Yes, the gameplay is repetitive (you kill titans, rinse, repeat) but once you get the controls right, you fly from one titan to another. I was drawn back to Spiderman PS4 while playing AoT2 only to find out that it's more satisfying to fly around in AoT2.