• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gaming industry is one where a lot of weird shit happen and I believe that no other industry is like this one, shit for example... super smash bros ultimate has a character named Joker and another Robin, yet no one called Batman lol.

-Sony made their own smash bros inspired game and it somehow didnt include characters from 2 of the most iconics playstation games, Snake from Metak Gear Solid and Cloud from the sky. (Instead both happenned to be megatons announcements for smash brawl, smash 4 and then again in smash ultimate).

-The most famous aspect of mgs games its their long cutscenes and voice acting, specially snake's, yet somehow both things are absent in mgs5.

-Sega always was the most in your face competitor against nintendo, went as far as to make a whole campaign of "sega does what nintendon't" yet somehow they gave up Sonic games to every nintendo console since gamecube, hell, Sonic and Mario even have their own olympic games and Sonic was also one of the megaton characters for smash brawl.

-The game industry is known lately for companies that milk games to death with lootboxes/gatcha/dlc/etc yet 2 of the most profitable series (and the ones that could do it the most) have little to none of it. Pokemon and Smash Bros, imagine for a second pokemon or smash bros belonged to ubisoft or 2k, the lootboxes for pokemon would literally turn the world upside down and make the already most profitable franchise ever into the most profitable ever ad infinitum.

-nintendo has always have completely different controllers for each generation of consoles.

-nintendo popularized multiplayer fps games in consoles back in the n64 days, yet it was microsoft who cashed it in big with halo.

-there seems to be a 3rd console curse, n64, xbox one and ps3 were the 3 consoles that sent their companies to last place coming strong from an almost total first place. If nintendo is an indicator, it seems to repeat every 3 consoles (see wii u).

-smash bros is usually critized/hated on for not being a "true" fighting game, yet it holds the titles of most sold fighting game saga and individual games.

-nintendo has always been seen as a kiddie friendly company, yet they have always been mature friendly too, see deals with konami to remake mgs, with capcom to remake resident evil, a totally new resident evil zero, also to release resident evil 4 exclusively for gamecube (plus ports of all other resident evil games) + other "3 exclusives"(specially the full lewd project number 3 and killer 7), made a full in house horror game with eternal darkness, green lighted manhunt 2 on wii, and silent hill remake for wii too, revived Bayonetta (and practically got ahold of whole series, went as far as to include her in smash bros). Among other shit I am surely missing.

-sony is the owner of ultra hd bluray tech, yet somehow xbox one s and x both support it and no ps console support it at all.

-the only 2 superheros that have gotten excellent games are Batman and Spiderman.

-some obvious homerun crossover in games that have never happenned and probably never will, are: Mushroom kingdom hearts (kh + disney + nintendo + final fantasy), metroid + halo, tomb raider + uncharted, resident evil + silent hill, devil may cry + bayonetta, street fighter + mortal kombat, etc.

So era, what are some ironic/funny trivia in games/gaming industry?

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
This could be a fun thread, but I can't think of much to share.
I guess I can bring this up, though it's more weird/sad than anything else

- A lot of the heavy-hitter IPs from previous gens had minimal (if any) presence this gen.

A few examples:
There was no new GTA or Elder Scrolls games, there were 2 (each!) for the PS360 though, and prominent/genre defining entries before this.
There was only 1 "major" 3D Sonic game, and it was a disaster. Sega found success with the fanmade Mania instead. There were 3 3D Sonics last gen... or 4 I think.
There was only 1 mainline SP Final Fantasy entry, there were 3 last gen.
Bioware released 1 Dragon Age and 1 Mass Effect, both with their own problems. Last gen was DA/MA land.
There was no main Gran Turismo, only 1 single spinoff based around sports cars. I don't think I need to talk about this series' legacy here..

It's been great for new IPs and indies though!

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
The third game in both Metal Gear Solid and Devil May Cry were prequels. In the Uk both games were released in March 2005

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
The KoF character Angel creation process is one crazy story. Full story below, but in short SNK got salty after they got body in their own game by and Evolga dev, they made the unofficial Double Dragon fighting game, that when they met up a second time they did a bet that the winner gets to create a character that appears in the loser's game. They lost, and this is the reason why Angel was create and name Angel, as that is the Evolga developer who won the match name, is latina, and loves tacos.

Because of the physical appearance and Mexican roots of Angel, it's often mentioned that she was created because of a bet, what can you tell us about this?

This is a great story, so i will be brief:

The first time we traveled to Japan, they took us to some arcades called NEO GEO LAND

The main objective of this was to challenge some members of the SNK Staff in KOF 98.

The sad thing about this is that SNK Staff got bodied very hard and people at SNK got annoyed.

We went to Japan a second time and at the end of a meeting where the development of Rage of the Dragons for SNK was decided. Angel Torres, EVOGA's CEO and the one that won against the Staff of SNK, was challenged to KOF 98 (again) and a bet was made: if he lost he would have to let SNK make a character for our game ROTD plus our then head would have to pay the sum of $ 5,000 USD to BrezzaSoft president.

In the end the fight was made, but they weren't the same players that Angel defeated in NEO GEO LAND, this time they brought 2 KOF's programmers and the official designer of KOF 2001, they were the best 3 KOF players at SNK back then.

How did the fight end, well ... you tell me, there is a character who debuted in KOF 2001 under the name of Angel, is Mexican and likes tacos (hahahaha).

OP
OP

DanteLinkX

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This could be a fun thread, but I can't think of much to share.
I guess I can bring this up, though it's more weird/sad than anything else

- A lot of the heavy-hitter IPs from previous gens had minimal (if any) presence this gen.

A few examples:
There was no new GTA or Elder Scrolls games, there were 2 (each!) for the PS360 though, and prominent/genre defining entries before this.
There was only 1 "major" 3D Sonic game, and it was a disaster. Sega found success with the fanmade Mania instead. There were 3 3D Sonics last gen... or 4 I think.
There was only 1 mainline SP Final Fantasy entry, there were 3 last gen.
Bioware released 1 Dragon Age and 1 Mass Effect, both with their own problems. Last gen was DA/MA land.
There was no main Gran Turismo, only 1 single spinoff based around sports cars. I don't think I need to talk about this series' legacy here..

It's been great for new IPs and indies though!
Its actually incredible having a gen without a new gta, since its inception in gaming there have been at least 2 gta games, ps2 had 3 full gta games (and psp got 2 as well), ds got one, 360/ps3 got 2 full gta games and 2 pretty beffy dlc games).