Klortch

Dec 2, 2017
This right here. This is the kind of stuff that makes games something special to me. Well done, OP.

Carbon

Deploying the stealth Cruise Missile
Oct 27, 2017
I have a weird sense of loss about finally finishing this game after 4 years. I've done some math and I think I spent about 300-400 hours idly golfing in the desert. When I first got here, my heart literally jumped, like I had discovered some magic secret that very few people are supposed to see. I'm even hesitating posting it here just because of the time invested.

Man, I love Desert Golfing and I couldn't tell you exactly why.

I have a feeling VERY few people have ever seen this screen, given the amount of dedication you'd need to get there. We're probably talking thousands of hours all told. Congrats on beating a seemingly unbeatable game.

Deleted member 11025

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow, I always wondered if there was an end. Got to around hole 11,000 before I got a new phone and lost my progress.

OP
OP
transience

transience

Found the ultimate water hazard
Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow, I always wondered if there was an end. Got to around hole 11,000 before I got a new phone and lost my progress.

Heh, my phone has a small crack in the screen (nothing major, but I use the dark theme so it's less noticeable here), and I briefly considered getting it fixed vs. getting a new phone.. and I won't lie, Desert Golfing was a contributing factor to keeping the phone.

Nov 8, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
NY5OPT1.gif

Well done man, i always wondered if there was an end to that thing, was around hole 14000 when my phone got stolen, i was more mad of my lost progress in desert golf than i was over the loss of my phone, i had intended to reach the end but i just could not bring my self to start over again.

Desert golf is weirdly good, better than it had any right to be, it was in my top 10 favorite games of 2014.

OP
OP
transience

transience

Oct 27, 2017
Well done man, i always wondered if there was an end to that thing, was around hole 14000 when my phone got stolen, i was more mad of my lost progress in desert golf than i was over the loss of my phone, i had intended to reach the end but i just could not bring my self to start over again.

Desert golf is weirdly good, better than it had any right to be, it was in my top 10 favorite games of 2014.

Oh man, fuck that. Let's you and me start over and race to the finish line. Okay, "race" is maybe not the right word. But we need to get you to the promised land after getting that far.

edit: we'll create the Desert Golfing Community OT while we're at it!

SteveWinwood

Oct 25, 2017
USA USA USA
I can second this. I've been doing them daily for almost a year and still enjoy doing them.
I end up doing around 2 a day and have been for around 2 and half years now. Wednesdays and on still take me a substantial amount of time and I'm really lucky if I actually finish a Friday and Saturday.

If you do the nyt you can come join us in the crossword ot I made ( https://www.resetera.com/threads/cr...u-have-adzes-ukes-and-epees-in-the-ural.9583/ ) *shameless plug*. I usually forget to post about that days in it but mostly because I don't want to double post :o

Nov 8, 2017
Stockholm, Sweden
Oh man, fuck that. Let's you and me start over and race to the finish line. Okay, "race" is maybe not the right word. But we need to get you to the promised land after getting that far.

Hahahaha, it sure is tempting to start over, that game was my favorite time waster for years, i had a long commute at the time and that game was great at making tedium disappear.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow, I didn't know it even had an ending. I thought the whole "joke" was that the levels just kept going and going. This is seriously impressive.

OP
OP
transience

transience

Oct 27, 2017
Here's some more shots that I took along the way. This one really scared me but I got it pretty quickly.

2dhfcb5.jpg

This one just cracked me up.

6zwms4.jpg

This one is actually impossible. I was stuck here for about 2 years until a recent update patched out impossible holes.

34s475d.jpg

And here's a nice round number.

258nxjn.jpg

Lunchbox

ƃuoɹʍ ʇᴉ ƃuᴉop ǝɹ,noʎ 'ʇɥƃᴉɹ sᴉɥʇ pɐǝɹ noʎ ɟI
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Rip City

Hahah I had to download this, got my dad on this too.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Congrats! I got to about 1900 before the game gave me a hole that I could not beat. Me and my friends must have put in 1000s of attempts in trying to beat it, but we were convinced it was impossible. It started high and had a long descent towards the hole at the bottom with no wall on the right side to bounce off of.

Still perhaps the greatest game of all time despite that.

xir

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
party pooper but yr not the first. but, i still want to interview you.
i got pretty far - into the all flat before the patch. hardest hole was the one where i had to bounce it off something offscreen and avoid a pool of water

OP
OP
transience

transience

Oct 27, 2017
"I couldn't fix the impossible holes algorithmically," he said. "Instead I manually played through 10,000 holes and re-generated the impossible ones. So now after someone updates, whatever hole they're at, they'll get to play 10,000 more, then [see] water."

This is unexpected! Though, I updated at 14k and finished in the 21k range. So maybe this isn't right? Why am I questioning the developer?

Wishbone Ash

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Michigan
This is pretty fucking cool.

I could have sworn someone I knew who played this obsessively had a higher level count than this, though. I also thought the levels were randomly generated, so I guess I just don't know much about Desert Golf.

jambo

Oct 25, 2017
I got in to the 5,000 range before getting a new phone.

I've started again from 0 with the new patch already on.

How many holes should I get?

pompo

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know why but this made me purchase Desert Golfing. It's fun so far

OP
OP
transience

transience

Oct 27, 2017
So I checked up on some game recommendations in this thread.

I watched some videos of Battle of Polytopia and it didn't look like the kind of idle-y game that I'd want to play on a phone. I could be wrong though.

I picked up Flipflop solitaire. I'm a fan of Zach Gage's Really Bad Chess. Flipflop solitaire is fun - I used to be a huge Freecell nerd in the WIndows 95/98 era - but this thing inexplicably killed my phone battery. It dropped like 15% in 10 minutes. I'll probably pass on this one.

Crosswords - I didn't download it or anything but I've always been terrible at Crosswords. I'd sooner get a word search app with a bazillion solutions, I think.

Haven't checked the rest out yet. Little card games and word games are good fun time wasters but I miss the progression of aiming towards something that Desert Golfing offered.

edit: oh, and I probably need to check out Freeways, Justin Smith's newest game.

OP
OP
transience

transience

Oct 27, 2017
First post with my new tag. :) I honestly didn't expect this thread to get more than 10-20 posts.

OP
OP
transience

transience

Oct 27, 2017
I bought it after reading this thread, too.

Help. I think I'm addicted...

awwww yeah. you're like 4% of the way there!

I'm curious. Is there still Game Center integration? Is that even a thing anymore? This game had one kind of mindblowing feature but it's been so long since I got there that I'm not even sure if it works anymore.

ShapeGSX

Nov 13, 2017
I guess it makes sense. You only had one ball to play with, and you knocked it into the water, you idiot!!