• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
It's cool that he replied. Did you want privacy while you shouted your thoughts into the wind? Sucks that you're being dogpiled though, but to be fair, each one of those guys is probably only tweeting you one thing, it just so happens that since the forum is the entire earth, there are lots of single tweets.

Oct 25, 2017
This is basically like someone jumping out of the bushes and telling "Ah-Hah!" the second you muttered that said person is an asshole ironically validating your assertion 100%.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
You can't believe that a creative person would get upset when someone brings their creativity into question? Sorry, but replying to me with constantly escalating immature and nonsensical responses isn't really doing you any favors here and is making you look bad. Welcome to my ignore list.

You never offered any argument or counter argument to anything i said. You spent the whole interaction playing the victim, gas lighting , throwing stones and then hiding the hand, dictating how we are allowed to criticize the work of Celebrities (nevertheless never provided standards or examples) and then took the easiest way out with your ignore list fad. Ignore me all you want, you still look bad and still have no arguments, so for me, the better.

Oct 25, 2017
Is this appropriate in this scenario?

2014-09-19-1062sea.png

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
This might be the most Christian thing I've ever seen.

1) Talk shit about someone in a public forum.
2) Receive inoffensive reply
3) Scream about how you're being persecuted.
5) Prophet

After these latest posts, make #4, "Compare yourself to people that are ACTUALLY oppressed". It fits like a glove.

Yeah, OP is totally right up there in terms of persecution with the victims of Gamergate and the like.

Un freaking real....

Deleted member 9932

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Your tweet is kinda nonsensical and the judgment probably more based on fake perception than his comedy works. But thats the internet right?

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Both of those examples are full of actively misleading information, though. Both of those examples clearly cross lines in factuality that facilitate the audience response, as well as feature prominent calls to action.
Misleading information, as incorrigible as it is, is not the true problem.

The true problem is refusing to acknowledge the consequences of one's words and the ideas one put out into public, especially as a person/people with far reaching influence. Y'all laying this at OP's feet are completely missing the forest for the trees. It is about the imbalance of social power, and the consequences of misuse of that power, not about who said what and/or how they said it.

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
Again, this is like turning to your friend in a concert and saying a snide comment in a volume appropriate for only that person to hear, only for the bands front runner to make an announcement that everyone in attendance should attack that person for their joke.
Replace "turning to your friend in a concert" with "shouting to your friend in a completely public and non-private way that anyone is free to join and is easily findable by the people concerned from the moment you shout it until the end of time."

Then replace "make an announcement that everyone in attendance should attack that person" with "answer."

Jesus, these analogies are terrible, people.

It is about the imbalance of social power, and the consequences of misuse of that power, not about who said what and/or how they said it.

None of that is a thing on Twitter. That's the entire point of the platform.

Drag Gervais for his trans shit and being an asshole, not for daring to reply to a public tweet that mentioned him. I can hardly think of a lesser offense.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Replace "turning to your friend in a concert" with "shouting to your friend in a completely public and non-private way that anyone is free to join and is easily findable by the people concerned from the moment you shout it until the end of time."

Then replace "make an announcement that everyone in attendance should attack that person" with "answer."

Jesus, these analogies are terrible, people.

Drag Gervais for his trans shit and being an asshole, not for daring to reply to a public tweet that mentioned him. I can hardly think of a lesser offense.

When people drag Gervais for his transphobia the narrative (including from him) is we should just take a joke and ARE YOU OFFENDED?

Jan 29, 2018
Ironically, this might be the most Christian thing I've ever seen.

1) Talk shit about someone in a public forum.
2) Receive inoffensive reply
3) Scream about how you're being persecuted.
5) Prophet

Thank you.. its pretty sad to be honest... his just pissy he got caught out by the one mostherfucker he did not want to see the message

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't disagree, but only because I know there's lots of people who're willing to come to Twitter's defense and bang the 'freeze peach' drum, in all its various shapes and forms.

It's not like Reddit or Facebook set out to become the new nexus of social power, but here we are...

Deleted member 28076

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Thank you.. its pretty sad to be honest... his just pissy he got caught out by the one mostherfucker he did not want to see the message
Nobody is reading the thread.

How many times must it be stated that it's not about Gervais giving back a lame reply, but about his psychotic followers that he knows are there and will ravage the lives of anyone he points them at?

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You mocked and belittled him, he responded without a personal attack. You shouldn't have been rude if you didn't want a backlash. You know what Twitter's like.

He created The Office. Even if everything post-Extras has been crap, your comment is off-base. Don't be a knob next time.

You are unworthy of the name you claim

Oct 25, 2017
What a sad pathetic waste of breath. I'm sorry that happened to you OP. His flock doesn't care whether you're a Christian or Atheist, they're a particular breed; the Anti-Theist Neo-Atheist. If you're not as staunch as they are, then you "must be" 'the other' i.e. religious in this case. They're really insecure.

It'll pass over time. Bright side, you managed to get under his skin, that says a lot about him.

Is this appropriate in this scenario?

2014-09-19-1062sea.png
LAWD

Jan 29, 2018

How many times must it be stated that it's not about Gervais giving back a lame reply, but about his psychotic followers that he knows are there and will ravage the lives of anyone he points them at?

Oh please.. that would happen on any open platform. Just checked Gervais feed i dont see him setting the hounds on the OP. He replied to a comment about him , if his followers go berserk i doubt he has any power over that. Celebs have that cultish followings thats nothing to be shocked about

Ferulci

Oct 31, 2017
- Talk shit get hit ? I agree that celebrities should know better than that but it's his right to answer.
- I hope that the crazy fanbase will calm down. I hope they're not harassing you/threatening you.
- As usual in those types of topics, the same old drive-by shitposting on atheists.
Posts like
A militant atheist and his cronies acting illogical? Shockingly hypocritical!

the Anti-Theist Neo-Atheist. If you're not as staunch as they are, then you "must be" 'the other' i.e. religious in this case. They're really insecure.

It'll pass over time. Bright side, you managed to get under his skin, that says a lot about him.

are beyond pathetic

Deffers

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
It makes my blood boil to see people stanning for anybody with a huge and vicious fanbase knowingly using it to harass others while keeping their hands clean. Ricky knew exactly what his fans would do and all of you defending him know full well that OP isn't complaining about getting his feelings hurt from some lame little comeback. If your position is "talk shit, get hit," you're basically giving an endorsement to any Nazi Youtuber who uses the same tactics against his smaller critics. Same mechanics apply.

Disappointing to see, to say the least.

AtomLung

Oct 25, 2017

I mean I've read the thread. I've read the hilariously over dramatic descriptions about what his followers are doing to the OP. They will forget about OP, he's good.

Seesaw15

Oct 27, 2017
You played the twitter lottery and lost OP. Better luck next time or stick to DM's if you ain't about that life.

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
It makes my blood boil to see people stanning for anybody with a huge and vicious fanbase knowingly using it to harass others while keeping their hands clean. Ricky knew exactly what his fans would do and all of you defending him know full well that OP isn't complaining about getting his feelings hurt from some lame little comeback. If your position is "talk shit, get hit," you're basically giving an endorsement to any Nazi Youtuber who uses the same tactics against his smaller critics. Same mechanics apply.

Disappointing to see, to say the least.
Trying to equate Ricky responding to someone dragging him on Twitter with a Nazi YouTuber is probably the worst analogy yet, and there have been some really bad ones in this thread. I wonder, if you think really hard, if you can name any differences between fans of a comedian, and Nazis?

Deleted member 28076

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Oh please.. that would happen on any open platform. Just checked Gervais feed i dont see him setting the hounds on the OP. He replied to a comment about him , if his followers go berserk i doubt he has any power over that. Celebs have that cultish followings thats nothing to be shocked about
You are not reading the thread.

As I have explained I think about three times already, Gervais would have to be a genuine, bona fide idiot to not understand that this kind of fanbase exists for him. If OP had specifically tagged Gervais in his conversation then it would make sense for him to respond, but literally the only way Gervais would have found OP's tweet is if he was specifically searching for his own name on the website, an act which he has been shown to do over and over again.

If Gervais is aware that he has a cultish fanbase that will attack anyone he disagrees with (which I would argue that not every celebrity does, by the way), and he not only does nothing to stop them but ACTIVELY SEEKS OUT people who have even mild criticisms of him and dogwhistles them, then he is absolutely complicit in their psychotic actions.

Deleted member 9317

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
This would be me if a horde of people attacked me on Twitter.

lkNiK.jpg

Enjoy the 15 tweets of fame, OP.

As per Ricky Gervais, that man LITERALLY searches his name on Twitter daily to find culprits to respond to so his fans can horde them.

Deffers

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
Trying to equate Ricky responding to someone dragging him on Twitter with a Nazi YouTuber is probably the worst analogy yet, and there have been some really bad ones in this thread. I wonder, if you think really hard, if you can name any differences between fans of a comedian, and Nazis?

Depends on their behavior, really, doesn't it? If the fans do the same bullshit, I don't see why not. Remember when Gamergaters used to do this shit all the time? There's a reason it's a bad, bad, bad fucking look. The fact that he's a "comedian" doesn't really alter that.

Oct 25, 2017
- Talk shit get hit ? I agree that celebrities should know better than that but it's his right to answer.
- I hope that the crazy fanbase will calm down. I hope they're not harassing you/threatening you.
- As usual in those types of topics, the same old drive-by shitposting on atheists.
Posts like

are beyond pathetic
I made a distinction and you know it. Nice try though. Guess we found one.

Enjoy the 15 tweets of fame, OP.
I know I would laugh it off. Just hope no one's threatening you.

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
Depends on their behavior, really, doesn't it? If the fans do the same bullshit, I don't see why not. Remember when Gamergaters used to do this shit all the time? There's a reason it's a bad, bad, bad fucking look. The fact that he's a "comedian" doesn't really alter that.
It alters it by a lot, and honestly the fact that you've gone full Godwin's Law on the situation and are doubling down on it ought to be really embarrassing tbh.

Jan 29, 2018
You are not reading the thread.

As I have explained I think about three times already, Gervais would have to be a genuine, bona fide idiot to not understand that this kind of fanbase exists for him. If OP had specifically tagged Gervais in his conversation then it would make sense for him to respond, but literally the only way Gervais would have found OP's tweet is if he was specifically searching for his own name on the website, an act which he has been shown to do over and over again.

If Gervais is aware that he has a cultish fanbase that will attack anyone he disagrees with (which I would argue that not every celebrity does, by the way), and he not only does nothing to stop them but ACTIVELY SEEKS OUT people who have even mild criticisms of him and dogwhistles them, then he is absolutely complicit in their psychotic actions.

It does not matter if he was tagged in the post or not.. expect a response if you comment on anyone in a public space. You're basically saying gervais cant tweet at anyone because his fans are cultist .. really why should he care what his twitter fans do, his to rich to be asked with that.

Deleted member 19218

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am not going to waste time quoting everyone here but some of you need to realise that people will criticise celebrity work and that's fine.

When a celebrity gets frustrated and goes after the critic that's just petty. Neither is it mentally healthy when you then spend your time "hearting" fans who attack the critic.

Deleted member 28076

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It does not matter if he was tagged in the post or not.. expect a response if you comment on anyone in a public space. You're basically saying gervais cant tweet at anyone because his fans are cultist .. really why should he care what his twitter fans do, his to rich to be asked with that.
I am stunned that you can't understand the difference between mentioning someone's name in casual conversation and specifically notifying someone that you are talking about them. Obviously, it does matter.

I am not saying that Gervais can't tweet at anyone, I'm saying that if he has cultivated a specific group of people who seek to do damage in his name, the least he could do is not repeatedly encourage them, which he does.

You are intentionally misrepresenting my arguments.

Suzushiiro

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
If OP had @'d him directly to talk shit and got aggro'd by his followers after he responded I'd say Ricky did nothing wrong here, but yeah, namesearching is pretty fucking pathetic.

Larkoz

Oct 27, 2017
Ricky Gervais did nothing wrong. He just sent you a tweet, politely, that's the whole point of social media.

The fanbase brigading sucks though.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
People thinking the hubbub over GG/Alt-right-esque brigades was only because they were reprehensible people and not because they were using their internet platform to harass people, dragging down the mean of online discourse, is why we keep going down this same road.

Their harassment wasn't bad because they were assholes, they were assholes because they were harassing people.

Deffers

Banned
Mar 4, 2018
It alters it by a lot, and honestly the fact that you've gone full Godwin's Law on the situation and are doubling down on it ought to be really embarrassing tbh.

The fact that you're defending Ricky Gervais when he's tapped into the same vein of "PC Culture's gone too far" for years now tells me you're willfully looking away from what he's knowingly participating in and the kind of fans he's knowingly cultivated. This strategy is decades-old at this point and I don't see why we have to pretend the instigators are sweet, sweet pumpkins who have no way of knowing their fans would react this way-- despite, particularly in Gervais's case, looking up his own name on Twitter to shit up someone's mentions. Dude knows exactly what the fuck he's doing.

"You should be real embarrassed because you compared Ricky Gervais to Nazis. They're nothing alike, just they love using the same PC Culture bullshit rhetoric. But one's a comedian. And you know comedians are different from Nazis, even when they do the same fucking thing using the same fucking people as a proxy to get away with it."

Status
Not open for further replies.