• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
Just to let you know, I didn't @ him on Twitter, neither did I want to. I was just talking with a friend on Twitter and out of no where he tweets back.
b15fd82bf20c7cf4de5819eeaf0a5153.png

The second he replied I was bombarded with notifications on my phone about all the replies I'm getting. Some abusive, some not and some just outright stupid.

Also, for some reason everyone thinks I'm a Christian? I'm an Atheist myself. I don't hate Atheists nor do I hate Christians, but now all of a sudden they're all on me.

Any idea what I should do about this? I don't want to delete my Twitter or anything, but this happening is really surprising.

Also, as I'm typing this, it turns out Ricky is liking some of the replies that people have said to me, which of course is just going to make it worse.

Last edited:

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
tell him Derek was garbage and he'll never amount to anything of worth again without Stephen Merchant

...actually don't. even if you'd be right you don't want more of that smoke.

MMarston

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Takes a special sort of insecurity to go of your way to look up your own name on Twitter just to grill someone.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Can you just mute replies to that tweet?

It sucks, but nothing worth responding to. You can't reason with a mob.

Jeronimo

Nov 16, 2017
Ride it out maybe? I'm not active on Twitter anymore, won't they move on in a few hours?

BY2K

Membero Americo
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Québec, Canada
It's known that he searches his name on Twitter and shit talks people who have any criticism about him.

For someone who keeps defending his style of humour with stuff like snowflakes and shit, he's pretty insecure about what people think of him himself.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
The obvious option would be to not engage them, set your profile to private and leave Twitter.

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
This happened with me when I sent a Tweet to Nick Searcy once, Trumpers came out of the wood works for about a week talking shit.

I just ignored it and eventually people give up and go look for someone else to pile on.

Maddness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe if we all just start making Tweets about Ricky Gervais it'll all just mellow down and all will go back to normal.

Things like "Oh man I hear Ricky Gervais eats his toast butter side down!" or "Ricky Gervais... What a guy! He still licks his envelops before he sends them out!"

That'll show em.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Turn off notifications for non-followers, report any replies you get that are particularly foul, and wait a few days for it to burn out. Don't bother engaging, it just adds fuel.

Notch once personally insulted me in a tweet, and it made my phone buzz for about two straight days. I found it funny at the time, but sympathize with anyone unwillingly dragged by one of these cunts.

totowhoa

Oct 25, 2017
Gervais is trash, and his atheist stick is stupid.

Love,
A fellow atheist.

Sorry this is happening man.

Miller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just to let you know, I didn't @ him on Twitter, neither did I want to. I was just talking with a friend on Twitter and out of no where he tweets back.

The second he replied I was bombarded with notifications on my phone about all the replies I'm getting. Some abusive, some not and some just outright stupid.

Also, for some reason everyone thinks I'm a Christian? I'm an Atheist myself. I don't hate Atheists nor do I hate Christians, but now all of a sudden they're all on me.

Any idea what I should do about this? I don't want to delete my Twitter or anything, but this happening is really surprising.

Also, as I'm typing this, it turns out Ricky is liking some of the replies that people have said to me, which of course is just going to make it worse.

It'll pass. Stay true to your cute self and don't let the man keep you down

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017

I don' t understand the thread at all. What in your original tweet was an attack? I don't understand your original point.

Deleted member 2625

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Talk shit get hit...?

I mean I know you didn't @ him but Twitter Analytics doesn't care much. You criticized the guy, he clapped you back. Just mute the thread if it's pinging away.

OP
OP
Masterspeed

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
The obvious option would be to not engage them, set your profile to private and leave Twitter.

Yeah, I'm planning on doing that because It's getting pretty annoying now.

If I said this directly to him, I would understand the backlash, but the fact that I didn't link his name or @ him or anything is really mindblowing that he'd go out his way to look up his own name on Twitter and respond to something so small as my Tweet.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Celebs need to be more careful about the witch hunts they start. Some people take things way too far.

My advice to you would be ignore it. Don't fuel the fire by replying. They will all move on.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
lol is he searching his name on twitter? that's great

Every so often celebrities see tweets about them when they weren't tagged and respond to them. I accidentally made Neil Gaiman sad once because I made a joke on Twitter about something he said and he direct messaged me to apologize. I felt horrible for a week.

Gervais on the other hand...I fully expect he would be the kind of person to search his own name and look for fights to start, because he's an ass.

Oct 29, 2017
It's known that he searches his name on Twitter and shit talks people who have any criticism about him.

For someone who keeps defending his style of humour with stuff like snowflakes and shit, he's pretty insecure about what people think of him himself.

Nothing says "I'm secure about my career choices" than actively searching your name online and siccing your fans on completely random people on Twitter who happen to be talking about you.

J2C

Oct 26, 2017
"Oh, I'm not a Christian mind you. But Ricky makes me embarrassed to be an atheist"
/insert Gervais' cross picture ?

Either way, that's ridiculous

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey

Steven crowder QUOTE tweeted me once and that killed my notifications for a week

Sabas

Oct 25, 2017
dude name searching for any mention of himself. so petty. Gervais is garbage.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Just ignore em, go about business as usual.

They'll get bored after awhile when they realize you're not biting.

OP
OP
Masterspeed

Masterspeed

Oct 25, 2017
England
you pinned it? you long for the attention then lol.

I pinned it because I was tired of going through all the notifications to see the original thread. I also pinned it because I thought it was quite funny what he posted at first and was kinda happy a celebrity tweeted me. It was only until the backlash from his fans really made it a huge thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.