• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Were you ever made to pay rent in your childhood home/your parents' current house?

• Yes

Votes: 157 31.8%
  • No

Votes: 337 68.2%

• Total voters

MasterYoshi

Oct 27, 2017
Wanted to see what is was like for y'all when you began working or whenever you became an adult.

I was given a stipulation that I either go to college, get a job and pay a weekly rent, or move out... So I fumbled around in college for awhile, quit college, got a job and immediately moved out. I wasn't about to pay my parents to stay in the home I grew up in, not when making my own money and having enough to have my own apartment somewhere.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Never saw anything like that in Brazil. It's very normal for families to live together to save money

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
I wasn't MADE to but when I dropped out of university and came back home to work full time for a while I started paying them to stay there because it was the right thing to do.

Grenlento

Dec 6, 2023
No, I was very, very fortunate that they didn't need nor want it. Helping with utilities and lesser bills was all they asked.

sph3re

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Nope. My parents have provided me a great service by not charging me rent. I owe them a lot.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Sure but I had been making money for a while then so it was only fair. Because the reasonableness of my mom when I was that age I was already able to put back a big chunk for a future mortgage down payment.

ScoutDave

Oct 25, 2017
As soon as i graduated high school my father told me i either had to pay rent and work or go to college. The lure of money in the family business lead me down to working right out of high school. I paid rent for a few months to my folks before leaving to live on my own. I figured if i was gonna pay rent i might as well be flying solo.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, really fun. My mum pretty much quit her job when I left my ex and I was paying £450 a month (2 decades ago almost, my current mortgage is £360; on the same street). Funny she moved in with me at this house and paid in 4 years roughly abut 2k at the most.

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but this was after college and before I got my own place a year later.

It wasn't forced upon me; I just did it because it felt like the thing to do. (I took over the internet bill, however. I wasn't using slow ass internet, even back in 2004. LOL)

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, pretty much the second I had a job. Only me though, because they knew only I would actually give them anything, I don't think they ever even tried with my siblings. Needless to say I got out of there ASAP.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
No but my parents needed me to do at least something.

I was doing college and work, so they never asked for anything else.

Cilidra

A friend is worth more than a million Venezuelan$
Oct 25, 2017
Ottawa
Wanted to see what is was like for y'all when you began working or whenever you became an adult.

I was given a stipulation that I either go to college, get a job and pay a weekly rent, or move out... So I fumbled around in college for awhile, quit college, got a job and immediately moved out. I wasn't about to pay my parents to stay in the home I grew up in, not when making my own money and having enough to have my own apartment somewhere.
It's not a rare preposition here (I am in Canada) where you would ask your adult children that stay at home (after they are done with school) to contribute to the house/pay a rent/boarding fee.
Though many parents that do that give it back as a down payment when the adult children buy it's first home.
It's kinda like a force saving/way for the young adult to learn not to be financially dependent on his parents and develop a budget/not spend everything in non essentials. Also an incentive to go to school.
I already told my kids that they will have to pay a rent if they want to keep living with us once they stop school and start working (and didn't tell them we would give them the money back later when they would be ready to buy a home but plan to do so).

Nov 23, 2023
My parents are Mexican and pushing your kids out of your house isn't really a thing over there so no. I paid some bills through my own will though.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
No, but I don't know if I count. After high school, I only went back to my parents for about two more summers before I started living at my own apartment. My brother lived with them for a while after college and did have to pay a small amount of rent eventually.

We did live with my wife's grandmother for a while after college, but we didn't pay rent while we stayed there. So I guess "No" does count lol

gaugebozo

Oct 25, 2017
I moved back in after grad school, amd while I wasn't forced, I did end up paying some money. I felt it was only fair because I was living in a space normally rented out, and my mom really needed the money. It worked out pretty well for both of us.

Oct 25, 2017
For the last couple years before I moved, yeah.
My dad decided that I should be doing at least 4 hours of yard work a week, and so concocted a plan where he would charge me a weekly rent, but also pay me for yardwork, such that 4 hours would negate the rent.
Of course, I'm not shit at yardwork, so no weekly job takes that long.

He also gave me an ultimatum where he'd kick me out of the house unless I found a job while I was struggling with finding one.
Dude acted like the completely coincidental call I got a week later was thanks to that.

Jun 1, 2021
I currently live with my parents due to reasons and I absolutely pay rent. It's still basically a steal money wise. I can't expected them to foot the bill now I'm an adult. Obviously if your still a child / in school it's different but once your a working adult I feel you should be paying rent / board.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Moved out when I join the military. Came back when I separated and was going to school full-time. After school, I got a full-time job and stayed for a while longer to build up funds and I moved out again.

My parents never made me pay because they knew it was temporary and I was just trying to save up. I would still help them around the house and with yardwork.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Yeah but it was only a small amount (like $20 a week or something), while mum did all the groceries and cooking, so I didn't mind.

Jun 1, 2021
I think any money should be the option rather than rent. Some help out with bills, some pay rent that includes bills, etc. Rent sounds very formal when it doesn't always cover what people are or aren't paying.

Mar 15, 2019
Brazil
Brazil's culture is very different from the US in the sense that families stick together as a financial unit, i'm 23 and i'm still at my parents place and will stay for a couple more years, and that's seen as normal

Oct 26, 2017
Round here it's known as "paying digs" (don't ask me why) and the way it's generally done is that when you start earning money you contribute a token amount to the household.
It's usually not very much, but obviously that varies depending on the parents and I think he general idea is that you're still living here, using utilities and eating food so it's not really fair to spend all your money on yourself. We usually use the term paying rent for a more formal, adult arrangement so it's kind of a middle ground between that and just being a kid who pays nothing.

I don't agree with the idea of the kids suddenly paying rent when they hit a certain age regardless of whether or not they're employed.

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
When I was home for a while after high school, my parents didn't make me 'pay rent". But they asked me to chip in when I could, mostly for food. which is totally fair. My parents ain't wealthy. And I was glad to pitch in. Would kick in for the electric bill too.

FRANKEINSTEIN

Oct 27, 2017
AZ
Nope. Not even after I got married and our lease ended on an apartment but our house wouldn't be available for 6 months and my mom let us and our newborn move in for that 6 months.

dennett316

Nov 2, 2017
Blackpool, UK
When you hit 18, and you're living under someone else's roof, you should try to pay something towards your keep. Still being in full time education is a different proposition, but as soon as you're earning some money, you chip in.
"I wasn't about to pay my parents to stay in the home I grew up in". Such a weird attitude to have, imo.

Jan 20, 2022
I was in school so no. My mom just wanted me to have some form of responsibility. Either go to college or get a job

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Not really...

But there was definitely the stipulation of "you will not be idle and living in my house."

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
i helped with money after i started working, but i did not pay rent, if my parents required rent of me i would have lost considerable respect and love for them

Lilification

Mar 28, 2024
My mom would never have asked it of me, she's on disability so I helped take care of her during the time we lived together and I was in college.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
When you hit 18, and you're living under someone else's roof, you should try to pay something towards your keep. Still being in full time education is a different proposition, but as soon as you're earning some money, you chip in.
"I wasn't about to pay my parents to stay in the home I grew up in". Such a weird attitude to have, imo.
It depends on a lot of things, my parents made a LOT more than me so anything I could give would be useless anyway. And paying rent as a principle it's not really a thing here

davepoobond

Oct 25, 2017
www.squackle.com
i think its reasonable if they put 100% of the money into an account for you that you have access to after college and/or a little bit into utilities. at least while you're still going to school.

if they're just pocketing it, that's a no from me

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I've never done it personally but it doesn't seem unreasonable to me... even if your parents don't need the money (and considering they would let you stay if you were going to college, they probably don't) it's a decent way to at least give a grown kid a level of responsibility without kicking them onto the street.

It'd be nice if they gave it back when you move out but even that I wouldn't expect. Unless this is like evil stepmother stealing money stuff, you can't live the rest of your life expecting handouts.

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
My mom essentially lived at home until she was 29 (one of the youngest of 10 children, her mom was 40 when she had my mom) to help her folks out. My parents were fine with my brother & I staying home as long as we wanted/needed.

Grenouille

Nov 26, 2017
Parents requiring "rent" sounds weirdly impersonal, like a transactional relationship. Children can help with the expenses once they make enough money, but you don't have to behave like a landlord.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Not rent but instead utilities. Like, the electric/phone bill and any streaming service people use.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Yes. Once I began making money it was only right to contribute to the bills. Helped me also learn how to manage my money since everything wasn't just handed to me anymore.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
Not really...

But there was definitely the stipulation of "you will not be idle and living in my house."

I only lived back with my dad for a few months between leaving college and finding a "real" job but that was the exact case for me. As long as I was working some sort of job while doing the big job search and then pulling me weight in house chores then we were good.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
I payed rent to help my mom with the mortgage when i was still living at home after university but she never asked me. I just did it by myself to help my mom and sister (which was pregnant at the time).

loco

Jan 6, 2021
Grew up in a Mexican American home and it was military, college, start paying rent or GTFO when you turn 18. I chose college.

Wishbone Ash

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Michigan
My mom had a rule after I was 18-- if I wasn't enrolled in college, I was paying rent. It was $200 a month, which seemed like a lot as a kid out of high school, but I ended up staying in college anyway.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I feel bad that I didn't tbh. I lived there a year or so after university, but I didn't have a job, so not really sure where I would have got the money from anyway.

Sadly they're long gone, but I'm still extremely thankful for all they did for me. They weren't perfect, but I think I lucked out compared to most.