Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017

Probably one of the most overall memorable MGS moments for me as a kid playing MGS2 back on PS2. Your collected operator suddenly going all creepy and nonsensical, talking about aliens, breaking 4th wall and telling you to shut the game off.
I was genuinely not sure what was going on, feeling like my game was broken or something, the bizzare music of Arsenal didn't help too.
Did it catch you off guard?

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
I think I have a file of crazy quotes from the Colonel on my OneDrive for the last 10 years, so yeah it made an impression.

That reminds me, I saw Gubayama the other day in Shibomnigee. He said to give you his best.

emperor bohe

Oct 27, 2017
I remember it was really late at night and I was tired, had me second guessing what I was seeing lol. I must've been like 11 or 12 at the time

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
I was playing way past my bedtime and was excited but completely beyond exhaustion and while I'm normally not scared of much it completely freaked me out. When the colonel tells you to stop playing I instantly shut down the console lol.

Cess007

Oct 27, 2017
B.C., Mexico
No because back then my English wasn't that good and I weren't able to grasp the full idea of what the Colonel was saying. I just got confused.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
It really freaked me out, especially the line just as you're about to fight Solidus.

MGS2-Our-Beloved-Monsters.jpg

For some reason that line has really stuck with me over the years.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
At the time I thought the whole game was taking place in a VR simulation so I was blown away thinking I was right.

StreamedHams

Nov 21, 2017
Rose, Jack's true identity and AI Colonel took em to a drive. The whole thing is bonkers and I love every part of it.

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
YES.

I was legitimately freaked out, probably the only time ever while gaming lol. When he told me to turn off my system...😭

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
No, not really. I was more weirded out when my friends older brother lunged to turn the console off because "he told me too!"

Oct 25, 2017
It honestly haunts me to this day. It's probably what created my love of "unsettling" horror. The music, distortion, gradual decent and "corruption" of every element the game has thrown at you up until then, everything. MGS2 is such a wild ride and the fact it could hit notes like these in combination with all the other bonkers scenarios in the game make it my favorite MGS.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
I got to Arsenal Gear around 2am and I was tired as hell but knew I was close to the end so I kept pushing through.

AI colonel fucking terrified me, when him and Rose started telling me to turn off the console I thought I was losing it. I was a second away from actually turning it off, my finger was on the button and everything.

WebSwingKing

Oct 15, 2019
Yes and especially because it was my first metal gear. I can see people who have played the first might catch on to hideos meta stuff.

FinalArcadia

Nov 4, 2020
USA
100%, I thought I was imagining his codec picture change at first and was like, "what the fuck?" And then when he just keeps calling...

That entire portion of MGS2 is masterful, and some legit horror games could learn a thing or two from it and how unnerving it is.

"I need scissors! 61!"

Sadire

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 31, 2017
Yeah, it was unsettling. I replayed the HD collection a few years later and remembered quite how weird it all felt, then I skipped most of the Codec calls after the first few.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
Freaked out? No. But I did think it was fun. A little out-there, a little silly, but super memorable.

Lukemia SL

Jan 30, 2018
I hadn't gotten the game till a week later after release so my high school friends spoiled me on both Raiden and this moment.

It was a great moment but it really just came and went by I was not phased.

-Hyperion-

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 14, 2021
No. You know why? Because of a stupid particle effect.

The floor tiles in Arsenal Gear glow the same way they do in VR missions. So when the Colonel started malfunctioning I was like "Ha, knew it, this is a VR deception and I'm going to wake up back on the starting table with Ocelot." And then Snake busts out "Infinite ammo" which only confirmed it.

But I never woke up.

Jun 24, 2021
Yes! I was completely thrown off and felt really uncomfortable. I was already uncomfortable having to sneak around butt naked and then I have this relentless calls from this guy telling me to turn off the PS2 and saying random gibberish. When I first played MGS2 that whole section onwards put me off from the game and made me dislike it for a long time. Years later I realized what they were going for an appreciate more but MGS2 is still easily my least favorite game from the 5 numbered MGS titles.

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
I was entrances. It was like 8 in the morning and I'd been up all night playing.

signal

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah but also because of the unfamiliarity of the inside of Arsenal Gear. I feel like if the codec freakouts happened elsewhere on Big Shell it would have been not that spooky.

spam flakes

Oct 27, 2017
I think I might have known about it beforehand.

I need to play these games again. It's been so long.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
No, I mean I played it for the first time a couple years ago though.

but it WAS cool as hell

lairo

May 28, 2020
I barely knew English and therefore had no idea what was going on, and even then I was beyond scared at what was going on, so much so I had to leave the room for a bit before coming back to turn the console off in fear. Had nightmares for a while. Coming back to it years later I laughed my ass off at how over the top it all was lol

Soulflarz

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe don't spoil it in the title?
Pretty sure its more known than mgs2 players by this point and then some.

My semi-casual friends know I need scissors and shit, its pretty iconic.

Idk its like avoiding ff7 spoilers - its really not gonna save the vast vast majority of people going w/e if you say its a spoiler. That might be a bad example though because its so iconic that its referenced constantly still.

We're gonna have this convo again whenever they reboot star wars 20yr from now.

Willin

Oct 28, 2017
I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-Kiri Rock. I need scissors! 61!

Cyrus_Saren

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Iowa
Yup. I remember playing way too late so when it happened and he told me to turn off the game, I actually listened. Got back on and ended up finishing it the next day though.

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure its more known than mgs2 players by this point and then some.

My semi-casual friends know I need scissors and shit, its pretty iconic.

Idk its like avoiding ff7 spoilers - idk, its really not gonna save the vast vast majority of people going w/e if you say its a spoiler.

We're gonna have this convo again whenever they reboot star wars 20yr from now.
It's not that hard not to put it in the title. If you click the thread about spoilers then it's on you.
I personally know someone that didn't know about that character that dies in FF7 and found out like 2 years ago like this. He's still salty about it.

Like imagine thinking "Oh well, there might be a few people that managed to avoid spoilers for 20 years but I don't give a fuck, I'm just gonna put the twist of the game in the title because a lot of people already got spoiled anyway".

shoemasta

The Wise Ones
Oct 28, 2017
I was like 7 when I played it so yeah. I think it was like nighttime when I did it too