Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
The government should just pay these wexit leaders to move out of the country

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
It is thankfully a (very) fringe movement but they do get far more attention than they deserve. It will also pop up regularly on various Canada Proud/Patriot Facebook pages or ones with a heavy police/oil theme.

The entire concept is ridiculous.
Can we do that, still keeping Alberta but build a wall around Fort Mac?

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Stop giving a few radicals coverage. This is NEVER going to happen. The overwhelming majority of Albertans just laugh at these clowns.

Dolobill

Oct 25, 2017
I live in Alberta (since 2014). I've heard a few people express this opinion. It's definitely not a mainstream opinion though.

Outsiders will accuse Albertans of being uneducated rednecks, but the few people I am referring to are all STEM professionals. Alberta actually has a lot of highly educated professionals like engineers and scientists due to the large oil industry. The culture is pretty different though. I think the people here were just raised by people who felt they were wronged by Canada for so long that it is essentially inborn.

Many here seem to think Alberta is the only province that pays equalization payments to the federal government and don't appreciate that median wages in the province are still higher than the rest of the country.

Kernel

Oct 25, 2017
Caz

Canada's right wingers have been trying to push this kind of narrative for a while.

Here's Diane Francis in 2014:
www.politico.com

Why the U.S. Should Merge With Canada

Opinion: We share more than just the world’s longest border.

Their entire goal is to make Canada like the US anyway, makes us easier to exploit.

But they'll settle for Alberta if they can't have the rest of the country.

Divide up the country and then sell it.

But I think people in AB laugh at the idea.

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
This being talked about as a "Western Canada" thing is so weird to me being from BC. It feels like the mindset Alberta has is totally foreign over here. And we're further West.

Gitaroo

Nov 3, 2017
This being talked about as a "Western Canada" thing is so weird to me being from BC. It feels like the mindset Alberta has is totally foreign over here. And we're further West.
It's a very minority group of ppl, as some of the albertan stated. Definitely don't represent the province at all.

Riptwo

Oct 25, 2017
Or it's completely overblown.

I've never met anyone that has ever brought it up unless mocking it and I live in a rural area near Calgary. In fact politics is heading the other way where many devout conservatives are disgusted with the fact they voted UCP, not moving further to the right.
Someone please tell this to my family; many of whom are pro-Trump and avidly support this movement. My grandfather pretty much only phones me to yell at me about "great" Trump YouTube videos at this point. They sit around in Calgary, soaking up Fox News all day, and it's brutal.

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
They think their population will have more say in a nation of 300+ million. /facepalm
Their exit strategy also doesn't appear to include plans if the USA goes Democratic or demsoc.
Wexit is a childish fantasy where they think they'll get all their wishes on the other side of the fence.

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
Someone please tell this to my family; many of whom are pro-Trump and avidly support this movement. My grandfather pretty much only phones me to yell at me about "great" Trump YouTube videos at this point. They sit around in Calgary, soaking up Fox News all day, and it's brutal.
Thankfully your grandparents are outliers in the province with the youngest median age.

OP
OP
Caz

Caz

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Caz

Canada's right wingers have been trying to push this kind of narrative for a while.

Here's Diane Francis in 2014:
www.politico.com

Why the U.S. Should Merge With Canada

Opinion: We share more than just the world’s longest border.

Their entire goal is to make Canada like the US anyway, makes us easier to exploit.

But they'll settle for Alberta if they can't have the rest of the country.

Divide up the country and then sell it.

But I think people in AB laugh at the idea.
Oh i'm well aware of that, like I said in the OP it's just them saying the quiet part about Wexit out loud.
We'll give the US Alberta if they give us Maine. We'll reunite the maritime provinces and we can become New Acadia.
We don't need Susan's concerns in these here parts.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Wait, there is actually some canadians who want to become 'muricans ??

Are they all completely crazy ?
You know that "I'll move to Canada" fantasy that US white progressives bandy about then never follow through on when things take a bad turn in the US?

This is the Canadian white racist version of that.

Wexit is a childish fantasy where they think they'll get all their wishes on the other side of the fence.
Yup.

Canada, would you trade Alberta for the west coast US, much of the east coast US?
They'd need a good delousing of the GOP-minded first.

Trade you for Ohio? I can learn to like hockey.
No you can't. Believe me, I've tried.

I'll trade my right to own guns for universal healthcare if any Canadian want to make the trade.
Speaking confidently for the majority of Canada, LOLno

Nox

Dec 23, 2017
Wanting to trade guns for free healthcare and live in a pandemic riddled country to own the libs

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
While I don't anticipate Alberta leaving Canada anytime soon, I think its reasonable to expect the popularization of a nationalist Bloc Quebecois-style party that promotes Albertan sovereignty.

The Tories already dogwhistle in this direction, but Kenney seems to be backing off and conservative voters will eventually realize which way the winds blowing.