• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Camstun187

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
China
i haven't played Chrono Trigger in 15 years, and I want to experience it again. I'd love to try out the DS version, but it's so cheap on the iOS ($9.99).

I also have the download on my Wii U/Wii.

What would you recommend for a third playthrough after having not played it in so long?

Thanks, guys!

Deleted member 26535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I just sold my DS copy of Chrono Trigger yesterday (with the poster, 4x the price that I paid). Did not finish. Did not like much to be honest (it was my 3rd time playing. The first 2 were on SNES), but this version is better than the VC ones.

Ivan2Nguyen

Oct 25, 2017
DS! The addition of a map screen can be really nice in some of the levels that tend to look all the same.

Minako

Oct 25, 2017
DS version absolutely. No load times, UI on the bottom screen lets you appreciate the gorgeous sprite work better, and I believe it has an extra ending but I might be wrong on that.

sonofsamsonite

The one who likes mustard
Nov 1, 2017
Of those options, DS version. If you can play original cart on original SNES hooked up to a CRT, go for that, I guess.

Deleted member 2618

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Grab a copy of the DS version. I got mine for $20 new on SE's site. Dunno if it's still there but it can't be that hard to find a copy of.

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
The DS version is widely considered the definitive version. If you can't get it, though, go with the Wii version. I haven't heard great things about iOS version.

FelRes

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
CA
DS easily. Interface is fantastic, there's bonus stuff to do, extra dungeons at the end of the game, and a new ending to tie it in to Chrono Cross better.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Never tried the ios version.

How much is the ds version these days? I wouldn't bother if it's expensive, there's nothing in the changes that puts it over playing on vc imo, unless you want to play it on the go. All the new content sucks.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
DS version absolutely. No load times, UI on the bottom screen lets you appreciate the gorgeous sprite work better, and I believe it has an extra ending but I might be wrong on that.

You are right actually. The DS version also has the hand animated cutscenes of ps1 with NONE of the lag. DS is the definitive version right now.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
DS version is preferable for reasons many users mentioned. Wii version if you want to play it on a CRT in 240P. It also breaks the bank the least. I've never tried the iOS version but I can imagine one part in particular being horrible to try on a touch screen.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
The DS version is the best version of the game, but you are going to pay $30-40 for that today, and I can't say it's 3 times better than the $10 iOS version. It's not a case where they re-did all the art to make it ugly like the iOS version of FF6.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
DS has a redone localization, no load times, the PSX cutscenes, and a little extra content that fills in some story holes. Probably the best choice.

Oct 25, 2017
DS is arguably the best version.

I don't believe they released it on the Wii U and I generally found Wii software had pretty poor image quality on the Wii U.

Can't comment on the ios version.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
Since you already played it get it on the DS.

You get a great version of one of the best games of all time that is portable.

Has that added benefit fit of allowing you to pause anywhere by just closing the screen.

I HATE the fonts on the iOS games and the controls suck (for me) so never get those if you can help it.

YourBuddy

Oct 27, 2017
Not one of the options you mentioned, but if you can find a way to play the SNES version that is a pretty good choice. Played the game for the first time last year and loved it.

Deleted member 419

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Play on the Wii. The DS version has terrible font, adds terrible extra content that detracts from the tight consistency of the rest of the game, and is also only available on a handheld screen which does a disservice to the epic nature of the game. It's a sweeping, "AAA at the time" blockbuster that should be experienced on a TV screen.

If you want what I consider the true "definitive" version, it's the game emulated on BSNES with orchestral music injected through the MSU-1 chip functionality.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
The DS version is widely considered the definitive version. If you can't get it, though, go with the Wii version. I haven't heard great things about iOS version.
I have the iOS version. It runs at 30fps and is cropped to be widescreen, and it uses the DS translation. It uses a virtual joystick and pops up colored boxes for all the points where it would have asked you to press specific buttons. The menus are actually pretty easy to use, but moving on the field is a pain.

Htown

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, is there anything actually wrong with the Wii Virtual Console version?
It is exactly the SNES version, so no.

There is a problem in that you have a limited time to buy it. You can only add Wii points until March 26, when Nintendo will disable that option, and you can only purchase things until January of next year. At some point beyond that they will also stop making downloads available, so make sure you have an SD card (and hope your SD card slot doesn't stop working) so you can keep all your stuff permanently.

woodypop

Oct 27, 2017
It is exactly the SNES version, so no.

There is a problem in that you have a limited time to buy it. You can only add Wii points until March 26, when Nintendo will disable that option, and you can only purchase things until January of next year. At some point beyond that they will also stop making downloads available, so make sure you have an SD card (and hope your SD card slot doesn't stop working) so you can keep all your stuff permanently.
Thanks! I literally bought it just last night on the Wii Virtual Console (via Wii U), and got worried. lol

I actually have the DS and SNES versions, but I prefer to play on a large TV, and I don't want to hook up the SNES again. On the Virtual Console is much more convenient.

Bjoern

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
If possible and available to you, you should really get the DS version. It's got the most content with many great additions over the original SNES version.

If you can't get or afford it though your next move should be the SNES version on Wii VC.

Only go for the iOS/Android ports if you really really really want the extra content from the DS version without the anime cutscenes and if you can stomach the ugly redone overworld sprites and wonky-ass touch controls.
So basically: stay the fuck away from the iOS/Android ports.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't know the DS version was hard to find. I could have sworn it was on Square Enix store during parts of last year. Maybe I was thinking of a DQ game.

Yukiido

Oct 29, 2017
UK
I played it on the PS1, but also have and would recommend the DS version, which has everything that release did minus the load times.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
DS. It has multiple options for the UI, you can play it exactly as it was on the SNES, or have it all be on the touch screen and have the top screen be completely uncluttered. Plus, load times are nonexistent on the DS. The updated translation is also much better. If I'm not mistaken, the mobile version uses the DS translation as well.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
I actually found the iOS version very good. Touch controls worked beautifully.

It's the only way I've played the game and it's one of my GOATs.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
I know I'm in the minority here, but I honestly vastly prefer Ted Woolsey's translation in the SNES version, even if it isn't as faithful to the original JP version or whatever.

I'd always go with the original SNES game.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've never felt the need to go back to the SNES version after the DS one released, to be honest. Only thing I dislike about it is that I feel some in game cutscenes worked better than the anime ones, but that's about it.

If you don't mind portability instead of a big screen, go for it.
Wait for the inevitable switch version?
There's nothing inevitable about a game that's only been re released 4 times in like 20 years despite being one of the company's most beloved and critically acclaimed titles in their history.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
The DS version is definitive for sure and the best option if you have that available, but the Wii VC version will do just fine in a pinch. You'd be missing out on a few new anime cutscenes and a bonus dungeon at the end. If you already have a Wii/Wii U, it's hard to ignore the low price and convenience too. Pay the $7 and start playing in 2 minutes.

Deleted member 27921

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The DS version has cool animated cutscenes and some extra content.
The extra content feels very slapped-together, or like they outsourced it to some basement dwelling ROM hackers or something, I can't put my finger on it.
But that doesn't necessarily mean that it's bad. Hell, it's EXTRA. you don't even need to play it.

If you can, find a CT SNES cartridge and play it that way. If you can't, buy the DS version.