• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is Sekiro From Softwares hardest game?

• Yes

Votes: 832 59.6%
  • No

Votes: 563 40.4%

• Total voters

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
It seems like the most difficult Souls game by far because you're either good at parrying or you're dead. No other options.

decoyplatypus

Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn
It's harder than the Soulsborne games.* I can't speak to From's other titles.

*It doesn't strike me as much harder. I think I've had roughly the same number of bosses or areas that killed me 5+ times. And come to think of it, I still have to go back and beat Midir in DkS3. But I also haven't reached the end of Sekiro yet (due to time constraints, not difficulty). So maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.

Oct 27, 2017
OKC
I feel like its difficult in a different way than other souls games, ended up being easier for me by the end of it because its really easy to just hold block even if you don't get the perfect parry.

alosarjos

Oct 27, 2017
I have to say that, with some enemies more than being it difficult because it's a challenge, it's more difficult because I have had to learn every single move from en enemy so I can parry them. That final boss man...

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
I definitely had a harder time in Bloodborne (mostly fps issues there) and generally had a harder time in the Souls games.

OP
OP
fluffydelusions
Oct 25, 2017
I have to say that, with some enemies more than being it difficult because it's a challenge, it's more difficult because I have had to learn every single move from en enemy so I can parry them. That final boss man...
Final boss took me like 3 days lol. But man I could breeze through the phases by the time I killed him.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
By a mile, yes.

Defiled Amygdala & Watchdog are the only things that come close to endgame Sekiro.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
Sekiro is way harder than the Soulsborne games, IMO, speaking as someone with with over 500 hours in each one.

It's more like Ninja Gaiden Black in difficulty than a Souls game. Most enemies, even common ones, go straight for the jugular in Sekiro.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The walls in other games held me off longer than the walls in this one did

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
I genuinely don't know which parts of the old games people are thinking of when they say that Sekiro is easier. I mean I played it right after doing a run with the whip - THE WHIP! - in Dark Souls 1 and Sekiro kicked my ass. Granted, to some degree it's apples and oranges. But the basic skills that the Souls games demand - careful movement and positioning, environmental awareness, reacting to telegraphed moves - Sekiro asked you to do far faster and with far fewer options.

The death penalty is also very demoralizing - losing XP and money, as well as accruing Dragonrot - with no recourse except RNG. It was needlessly punishing in that regard.

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The bosses are by far the hardest, at least for me. Everything between the bosses was much easier (and more fun). So yes and no, but I voted yes in the poll

Hypemaster

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Space
Yes and by a lot for the limited amount of souls games I've played. Bloodborne had some moments but overall didn't have much trouble and DS3 was easy as hell.

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
giphy.gif

Without farming, summons (kinda) or co-op, the game is a challenge through and through. The addition to mini bosses that are as unrelenting as an actually boss really makes the game more punishing until you learn how to master most of your combat skills.

Deleted member 4067

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yup, not done yet but Genichiro and Lady Butterfly were the hardest bosses in any FROM game for me.

Bloodborne was not that hard to me. I ran thru that game, even the DLC

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
First playthrough I believe so. Secondary playthrough equivalent unless hard mode and bell are both active, which makes it harder by a small margin.

Tetra-Grammaton-Cleric

user requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
For me, Sekiro is the harder game because you don't have the option - however laborious - of grinding to increase your stats enough to more easily overcome bosses and sub-bosses.

You can harvest exp. for new moves and modifications but those alone really don't offer the same type of stat improvement.

Those improvements only come after you defeat a boss.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like most bosses in Sekiro have a "solution," for lack of a better word. Once you find the solution - whether it's a skill, prosthetic, or simple strategy - the fights become much easier. Some Bloodborne bosses don't have an easy solution, so if you're just not strong mechanically, there's nothing more you can do about it.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It's weird, it definetly was on my first playthrough, by far even. But in my second one so far I never died more than twice to anything.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Since Demon's Souls?
For me, yes.

Anyone else remembers that platforming section at the end of Armored Cored 1?
Now that is true videogame hell.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like most bosses in Sekiro have a "solution," for lack of a better word. Once you find the solution - whether it's a skill, prosthetic, or simple strategy - the fights become much easier. Some Bloodborne bosses don't have an easy solution, so if you're just not strong mechanically, there's nothing more you can do about it.
I mean the solution to most bosses in Bloodborne is to just dodge into them either to the left or right lol.

lowlifelenny

Oct 27, 2017
It has a much steeper learning curve from the outset, that's for sure. It throws you in the deep end in a way that Soulsborne doesn't. For that reason alone I'd nominate it as the toughest.

Once you get a feel for the mechanics and the rhythm of the game though, I think it settles into a very manageable experience. I often surprised myself by how quickly I was able to adapt to and overcome seemingly impossible challenges.

I feel like most bosses in Sekiro have a "solution," for lack of a better word. Once you find the solution - whether it's a skill, prosthetic, or simple strategy - the fights become much easier.

I know what you mean- a lot of Sekiro enemies end up destroying themselves simply because you memorise their combo/pattern and parry/exploit it. There's not much else to them. Souls bosses have a lot more variables at play, and potentially a lot more ways to win/screw up.

Last edited:

Lunar15

Oct 25, 2017
It's the hardest learning curve, easily.

But the hardest game? Not sure on that. Soulsborne is about going through gauntlets of tough mobs to get to bosses. Sekiro... doesn't really have that flow. There are difficult parts *with* mob gauntlets, but I've found that most of the time I'm not even in combat just exploring the world without anything threatening me. Individual world bosses can either be soulsborne tough or easier than anything I've encountered in soulsborne just due to getting the patterns down.

Hard to explain.

MentalZer0

Oct 27, 2017
From my experience, "easiest" to "hardest"

Dark Souls 2 > Bloodborne > Sekiro > Dark Souls 3 > Dark Souls > Demon's Souls

Zukuu

Oct 30, 2017
It depends on how you define "difficult". The game offers very limited approaches to most encounters and you have no builds whatsoever for the most part, so you just have to find the "intended" pattern. That's inherently not all that challenging, just tedious and trial-and-error for the most part.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Yes by far, in your first play through.

No after that. I ran through all of the bosses I fought before in NG+, only struggled against the real final boss.

But I beat bloodborne a billion times and still struggle against the Orphan of Kos and Laurence. I think it's more difficult overall BUT Sekiro just has a bigger learning curve

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I dunno about "to date" but it's definitlry the most difficult when compared to anything starting from Demons.

Since you can't have MP carry you through boss fights. Thus if you're gonna cheese fights, you're in for 20 minute battle that you can still trip on.

Feb 27, 2018
Yes, for two reasons.

1) No option to grind for increased health/survivability.
2) No option to summon AI or human characters to assist.

Not having those two options is going to be a huge deal for a lot of players.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Game like from soft game have been finished by way too many folks to call them hardest ever.

There are lots of lesser known games where the ratio of people who gives up is way higher

EDIT: My bad, I recently realised that it only talks about from soft games

GooZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah.
For other entries, I can just grind my way through and have more options to handle a boss fight like doing multiplayer and have companions with me.

Lashes.541

Dec 18, 2017
Roseburg Oregon
All these posts of Bloodborne being harder are crazy, I beat Bloodborne, gave up on Sekiro becuse in my view it's too hard. Bloodborne if you were stuck on a boss you could grind echoes and get more health, strength ect. Sekiro is all about perfect deflect and if you do not have the reaction times for that you are shit out of luck.

Oct 25, 2017
Do Chalice Dungeons count? If so, Bloodborne is the hardest base game and it's not even close.

Sekiro has the hardest NG+ by far with Kuro's Charm and Demon Bell, though, in my opinion.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Too early in the game for me to say and I've only played Bloodborne, albeit I platinumed it with no summons. I will say that my experience so far has been a bit like Bloodborne, almost feels like overwhelming difficulty at first and you feel so vulnerable, but after a few bosses something clicks and it starts to get more manageable.

But I lean towards Sekiro being a bit more difficult. I am at Ashina Castle and I've gone off in some of the alternate paths and seen enemies that I am clearly not ready for and can't imagine beating at the moment. Bloodborne clicked for me and I leveled to the point where I got several bosses on the first attempt, only getting stuck on a boss or situation every now and then.

So far with Sekiro I don't think I've reached a boss or miniboss yet where I haven't been stuck for at least a little while. Although I think I'm slow to learn that most everything can be parried. Like I didn't think the Horseman or the Bull could be parried the first time I played them, it seemed silly to think my sword could do that. But then when I discovered you can, those fights became much easier.

On the minibosses I think I just need to study their movesets more closely; those frequently being surrounded by grunts is probably the most troubling thing so far in terms of difficulty for me.

OP
OP
fluffydelusions
Oct 25, 2017
Game like from soft game have been finished by way too many folks to call them hardest ever.

There are lots of lesser known games where the ratio of people who gives up is way higher

EDIT: My bad, I recently realised that it only talks about from soft games
According to trophy/achievement 6.5% of people have beaten the last boss in Sekiro so far on PS4 and something like 3% on Xbox...at least when I looked yesterday

Hypemaster

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Space
All these posts of Bloodborne being harder are crazy, I beat Bloodborne, gave up on Sekiro becuse in my view it's too hard. Bloodborne if you were stuck on a boss you could grind echoes and get more health, strength ect. Sekiro is all about perfect deflect and if you do not have the reaction times for that you are shit out of luck.

I'd like to think the DLC scaled up the difficulty but yeah, although I don't consider Sekiro something that is too hard that you have to give up on it but maybe take a break to approach it in a different way when returning to the game.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
It's only "difficult" in that your Souls skills don't really transfer, once you learn the game it becomes really easy.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Do Chalice Dungeons count? If so, Bloodborne is the hardest base game and it's not even close.

Sekiro has the hardest NG+ by far with Kuro's Charm and Demon Bell, though, in my opinion.

I started Sekiro right after finishing the Chalice dungeons for the platinum in Bloodborne. After Defiled Watchdog and Amy, Pthumerian Descendant and Headless Bloodletting Beast, I've found that I haven't been too frustrated with Sekiro yet, so maybe that prepared me.