Akoi

Oct 25, 2017
WA
Evolve: thought it was going to be the next big thing from the devs of L4D series... never played it after launch since it was so bad...then the game tanked so bad it was abandoned super fast by the devs and turned into a F2P title... I even bought the deluxe complete edition which came with season pass content which I don't think even released.

TLOU2: after beating TLOU on ps4 and loving it and everything, I went out and bought this one at my local Walmart... and after a few hours I quit playing and never could get back into it again. The game play and story just were bad imho.

Mass effect Andromeda: bought into the hype and tried to cancel my preorder but Amazon shipped it anyways and claimed it wouldn't let me cancel it.(bought the deluxe edition) after receiving my copy I contacted Amazon again and they told me it was listed as a non-returnable product in their system for some odd reason and they refunded me for my purchase and let me keep the game for free which I think is still shrink-wraped to this day.

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Evolve: thought it was going to be the next big thing from the devs of L4D series... never played it after launch since it was so bad...then the game tanked so bad it was abandoned super fast by the devs and turned into a F2P title... I even bought the deluxe complete edition which came with season pass content which I don't think even released.

TLOU2: after beating TLOU on ps4 and loving it and everything, I went out and bought this one at my local Walmart... and after a few hours I quit playing and never could get back into it again. The game play and story just were bad imho.

Mass effect Andromeda: bought into the hype and tried to cancel my preorder but Amazon shipped it anyways and claimed it wouldn't let me cancel it.(bought the deluxe edition) after receiving my copy I contacted Amazon again and they told me it was listed as a non-returnable product in their system for some odd reason and they refunded me for my purchase and let me keep the game for free which I think is still shrink-wraped to this day.

How is the gameplay in TLOU 2 bad? Never heard that take before. It's just TLOU's gameplay but refined and with more options + better AI.

Wesley

Jan 10, 2018

So one of the worst games you paid full price for was a game you never played and didn't pay for?

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
So one of the worst games you paid full price for was a game you never played and didn't pay for?

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Nec

The Fallen
Mar 12, 2019
Kingdom Hearts 3. Still didn't finish, and I got all KH games for 70% less than I paid for KH3 alone.

Booker Do It

Sep 25, 2018
Burnout Paradise.
Loved Burnout 2, 3 and Revenge. Hated Paradise. The open world racing killed it for me, so many wrong turns, I know they are signified by the indicators on the car but I missed them more often than not. Racing for a while then screwing it up by missing a turn that means you have no chance of victory killed the fun for me.
Worse still, a few days before release I got the dreaded RROD on the 360, and because I was so hyped for the game I went and bought a new 360 whilst the old one was in for repair, only to hate the game lol.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah KH3 is a good one. I think I made it to the Tangled world and completely dropped it. Boring. And way too easy even on the hardest difficulty.

Nostalgia is a motherfucker. That game was so fun…when I was in elementary.

Seijuro

Oct 25, 2017
A recent one has been the Gold Edition for Battlefield 2042. That one still hurts.
Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is another one. Got hyped for a minute, but couldn't stomach any of it, designs, narrative, the battle system... I spent 17 or so hours with it, but to me it felt like 70.

There are other examples, but none of them are bad games per se. It's just I didn't feel I got my money's worth for various reasons. Like KoF XV whatever the edition with the season pass was. Played some, but didn't care enough for it to justify the high entry fee, dropped the game before the first DLC even hit. Olliolli World, bought at full price, just wasn't for me.

AngryPuppy

Oct 27, 2017
Seeing a lot of Brink mentions, I actually liked the gameplay and really loved the character customisation but what killed it for me was crippling lag at launch - and the resolution to this issue was them halving the human player count from 16 to 8, filling out the rest with bots.

I think worst I've been stung in recent memory was No Man's Sky - it was pretty slight at launch and furthermore I don't think I gel with these open sandbox 'make your own fun' type games anyway.

I always wondered if they'd have been able to conduct their redemption arc and give away all that free content over the years if they hadn't 'mislead' people prior to launch and got so many full priced sales, it's a weird one.

Oct 28, 2017
Easily Army of Two.

A mate and I had already agreed that we'd be getting it. If I remember correctly reviews dropped the same day as release, and I read how bad it was and told ol' matey I wouldn't be getting it. Unbeknownst to me he had already gone out and bought it before work.

So I went to the closest place to me that would sell it, a supermarket. It cost £50.

I feel sick just thinking about it.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
MGS4

I hated every other MGS title I had tried, but the hype around this one at the old place got me and I bought it. Knew within the first 15 minutes that I dun goofed.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Animal crossing new horizon.

It was alright I guess, but you can only collect furniture and decorate so many times before it's old.

SoundLad

Oct 30, 2017
Probably Fallout 4. I liked it, but it was nowhere near as good or memorable as 3 or New Vegas.

EraLurker24

Feb 9, 2022
I kind of enjoyed the gameplay in Greedfall, but technically, the game was a mess. The cookie cutter interiors were the worst offender.

I agree with that. I liked a lot of the dialogue options and the gameplay, but the maps and backtracking + declining quest quality the further you got into the game kinda soured me on it. Plus it's just close enough to the early mid 2000s Bioware formula to remind me that it's not that lol

Shiz Padoo

Oct 13, 2018
Rimworld. Damn game gets a miniscule discount, if any at all, but I was curious. Not my thing at all but will keep trying.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
In recent memory the fastest game I've dropped was Deathloop. Game seemed aight just really not for me, and I was not a fan of the gunplay at all.

Oh yeah KH3 is a good one. I think I made it to the Tangled world and completely dropped it. Boring. And way too easy even on the hardest difficulty.

Nostalgia is a motherfucker. That game was so fun…when I was in elementary.

KH2:FM is still a good game. KH3 was just bad especially at launch.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Metroid: Other M.

I'm pretty lucky and pretty stingy with my money when it comes to video games.
Animal crossing new horizon.

It was alright I guess, but you can only collect furniture and decorate so many times before it's old.
This one actually might be worse. At least I've replayed Other M every time I've done a Metroid series playthrough.

Deleted member 20986

Oct 28, 2017
I can't really think of any recent ones… I mostly only buy PS2 library type of games at full price, Steam games don't count because I buy them discounted.
Maybe Metal gear solid V? It wasn't terrible but it's very disappointing for a metal gear game. Hate having no clear story, having to keep ordering ammo and the base management side game.

Kingdom Key

Aug 4, 2021
Ghost of Tsushima. Manages to be even more bland than Ubisoft open world games. It's so repetitive. The quests and combat botj get old VERY fast. Throw in an awful camera and poor AI and that's a recipe for disaster. None of the characters did anything for me so there was no reason to push through. I passed on that one eventually. I have nothing positive to say about the game, except for the fact that I appreciate the somewhat unique setting. Terribly executed however.

CONCHOBAR

Oct 25, 2017
Hot Takes: The Thread.

Anyway, mine is Fallout 76. I didn't consider it to be that bad--especially with how it is these days (I haven't played since release so I'm going off what I've heard)--but considering how rarely I pay full price for games it's definitely the "worst."

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
recently... probably Shadow Warrior 3

was an okay shooter but man i should not have paid full price for that. weird that the last game was (if i'm not mistaken) $20 cheaper at launch and that was a way better and more ambitious game

ascagnel

Mar 29, 2018
Cyberpunk 2077. And I waited until after the patches.

The game just isn't very good. The combat, the traversal, and especially the storytelling, just aren't very good. The Witcher 3 was worth playing for its story, despite the poor combat and traversal, and CP2077 seemingly doesn't get the "punk" part of "cyberpunk".

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
How is the gameplay in TLOU 2 bad? Never heard that take before. It's just TLOU's gameplay but refined and with more options + better AI.

Gameplay of TLOU2 is a big leap forward, in fact that's the best hope of TLOU remake being worth it. I'm used to hearing people not like the story twist - I disagree - but more understandable.

There is a lot of 'What's the worst movie you ever saw? Citizen Kane, The Godfather' type answers on the thread. I understand wanting to be contrarian, but I have a hard time believing some of these are really the worst game they ever bought at full price.

Filiab

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
HellGate: London with the lifetime subscription… actually I liked the game very much but yeah - really soured on the amount of money I paid for the sub.
Oh man.. first thing I did was search this and see if anyone else was like me.

Not online did I buy lifetime, I bought the collectors edition + a shit ton of dyes on eBay before launch.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I almost got stuck with full priced Cyberpunk 2077 at launch on Xbox. Luckily, I was still eligible for refund when I decided that I regretted my purchase.

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
Two Worlds for the 360. I gave it to my dad to sell on ebay, let him keep the money, and became much more critical of my purchases.

Deleted member 62099

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 12, 2019
Super Mario Party. Only time I felt robbed by a game. Got with friends to play through the game and we felt so bored by the second map. Insane how long it took for this game to get an update.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
Dragon Age 2 and RCT3D (an absolute shitfest of a roller coaster tycoon game that started the scam games for this series from atari)
3.jpg

Its barely a fucking game thanks to a limit bar in every object you place that makes building even a simple park impossible.

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
It's only inevitable people will pay full price for a hyped up, well reviewed title and discover it's not a game they enjoy.

Mine would be Fallout 76, a genuinely terrible game at launch. The only saving grace was it being co-op, I would have dropped it much sooner if not for that. Updates since launch have drastically improved the game, but I just can't get into it again.

Oct 27, 2017
The Order: 1886

I think I might've even been one of the defenders of the reportedly short length of the game at first. But honestly there's very little content there for $60.

It's a shockingly short campaign with only a partially realized world, and a story that just drops intriguing tidbits but never actually gets to go anywhere before abruptly ending. It al recycles a boss fight multiple times so even in a game that only had about 3 1/2 hours of actual gameplay it repeats it verbatim.

Fantastic art direction, graphics and character design though. I think that's what makes it even more frustrating is that the little flavors you got of gameplay felt fun, even if it was a typical cover shooter. There was one weapon that was interesting that fired like gas rounds that you were then able to ignite but I think you only get to use that weapon in one brief section.

The game felt practically on-rails.