papertowel

Nov 6, 2017

If this 30 second clip is from launch to orbit, which is an assumption. It would mean this gif is sped up by about 16x real speed. Launch to orbit is about 8 minutes for most rockets.

If you pay attention near the end, you can see the booster stage burning up as it falls back down to Earth.

This is the source of the gif.

Last edited:

Deleted member 45211

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 19, 2018
When do we get VR experiences of being in the ISS or doing spacewalks?

I dunno anything about VR, so it's possible they already exist.

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Clever, but you can see the distortion artifacts around the curved surface so they can push the round earth agenda. Not buying it.

Time lapse of footage from the ISS ft. thunderstorms, non-kitchen-localized aurora borealis.

Deleted member 45211

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 19, 2018
There's an ISS one. There's also one where you can experience the entire Apollo 11 mission in real time if you want.
Cool. Are they sold individually as movies or games or something?

Is there a lot of variety? My uncle is into opera, especially when performed in ancient and historical venues. I wonder if they have stuff like that. Sorry for the off topic.

Dan

Oct 25, 2017
Cool. Are they sold individually as movies or games or something?

Is there a lot of variety? My uncle is into opera, especially when performed in ancient and historical venues. I wonder if they have stuff like that. Sorry for the off topic.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/457860/Apollo_11_VR/

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/games/apollo-11-vr-ps4/

They are games.

With regards to spacewalking in VR, doesnt exist yet. I think the most advance they have got with cameras is 4k in resolution. Any equipment that gets taken up to the space station and has to be exposed to space as part of an EVA has to go through very rigorous qualification. I think we may see it in future, certainly.

D23

Oct 25, 2017
Space is so calming. Everytime I think about space,all my worries and anxiety are gone.

Thx for sharing

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That moves way faster than I expected.
From a fixed point above the earth, the surface of the earth appears to move ~1,000 miles per hour. That's what it needs to do to get everyone spun once every day.

You're spinning 1,000 miles per hour relative to the ISS, 67,000 mph around the Sun, god knows how fast around the milky way.

skyappl

Oct 25, 2017
This is one of the best things I've ever seen.

EDIT: I love our planet.

Last edited:

GeoGonzo

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Madrid, Spain
From a fixed point above the earth, the surface of the earth appears to move ~1,000 miles per hour. That's what it needs to do to get everyone spun once every day.

You're spinning 1,000 miles per hour relative to the ISS, 67,000 mph around the Sun, god knows how fast around the milky way.
Nitpicking: That'd be correct if the ISS happened to be on a fixed point above the Earth (like a Lagrange point), but it is actually flying much, much faster in order to keep such a low orbit: It laps around the Earth every 90 minutes at 17,000 mph (27.500 kmh).

Damn it humans do more space shit

Just in case you didn't know: NASA is attempting a Mars landing this monday (26th). Should be exciting!

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
There's an ISS one. There's also one where you can experience the entire Apollo 11 mission in real time if you want.

OOOOOOOOOOH???????

I'm about to buy a PC Headset to go with my PSVR.

Is that Apollo one the one that has been on the Playstation store for a while now?

Space is so calming. Everytime I think about space,all my worries and anxiety are gone.

Thx for sharing

Which is one reason I want to get a VR Headset. After all the shit that goes on in life, I could just leave the world and view it from out there for a few minutes... then be humbled. At least that is what I think I'd get out of it.

Last edited:

samoyed

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nitpicking: That'd be correct if the ISS happened to be on a fixed point above the Earth (like a Lagrange point), but it is actually flying much, much faster in order to keep such a low orbit: It laps around the Earth every 90 minutes at 17,000 mph (27.500 kmh).
Ah right I imagine the "speed" is mostly the ISS's.

stoff

Oct 27, 2017
If this 30 second clip is from launch to orbit, which is an assumption. It would mean this gif is sped up by about 16x real speed. Launch to orbit is about 8 minutes for most rockets.

If you pay attention near the end, you can see the booster stage burning up as it falls back down to Earth.

This is the source of the gif.

Amazing footage.

How can so many people be so unfazed by space exploration, when we have stepped into the realm of gods and myth? This is the most amazing time in the history of mankind.