• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
220px-Danger_Days-album-2010.jpg

First started driving around the time Danger Days came out and it was the most consistently played CD I owned.

220px-Two_Door_Cinema_Club_-_Beacon.png

I was introduced to TDCC freshman year of college by a friend when Beacon came out. I had to put in a certain amount of time in the computer lab every week for a math class, which meant listening to a ton of music.

Oct 27, 2017
Bunch of formative albums...couldn't narrow it to just one:

First Exposure (grade school):

They Might Be Giants - TMBG: The Videos 1986-1989 (VHS of music video singles from the albums TMBG & Lincoln)

Middle school / early high school:

Nirvana - Nevermind

Green Day - Dookie

The Prodigy - The Fat of the Land

Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream & Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness

Late high school / college:

TOOL - AEnima & Lateralus

NIN - The Fragile & With Teeth

Last edited:

Pyccko

Oct 25, 2017
220px-MellowGold.jpg
Used to listen to this almost everyday from like 5-7 years old. Taught me the words motherfucker and dildo.

Mi goreng

Oct 28, 2017
Melbourne
Linkin Park
System of A Down
Marilyn Manson
Korn
NIN - The Downward Spiral

My music taste has matured and is a lot different now. Anyone stuck listening to their high-school bands in their 20's is a dummy.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
The Mars Volta's De-Loused in the Comatorium.
Fpskoq4.jpg

The first notes of Son Et Lumiere make me feel like I'm 14 again.

principal

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Feb 14, 2018
lJHlraz.jpg

Had a huge impact on my life. From the people I hung out with, to the way I dressed, and what career path I wanted to pursuit.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
As a little little kid it would be..
Twist and Shout - Beatles
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang Soundtrack

As a teen and a lot more "defining" of my childhood it would be..
Crime of the Century - Supertramp
Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd

Treestump

Mar 28, 2018
51LsN%2BZ5pEL.jpg

I didn't discover this band until 'My Favorite Accident' was on the Burnout 3 soundtrack. Liked the song so much I asked for the album for Christmas that year and boy, this album right here. I was 14 at the time and I never really had music that I identified with. I loved a lot of music/songs but for some reason never really thought of it past just liking it. The moment I finished this one, I replayed it. Something about this grabbed me and made me feel. Sounds cheesy I guess but that's the best way I can put it. This album changed me and gave me one of my favorite bands. So glad I was able to go to their final tour.

71lix6%2BVfWL._SY355_.jpg

Got this for my 15th Birthday and I'll never forget that summer. Don't know what else I can say other than from start to finish this may be one of the best albums ever. I was excited that Gorillaz were back but wow were they back. This combined with IATM above easily defined not only my taste in music from then on but also me as a whole. I will never get tired of putting these on repeat and still feeling the way I did when I first heard them.

Pulp

Nov 4, 2017
Sonataarctica-silence.jpg

Was really into power metal when I was a teenager. If I have to pick one album from that period it has to be Silence by Sonata Arctica. I still listen to their albums today, but I listen to a lot of different music now.

Oct 31, 2017
Unknown
While reading Heinlein as a teen found myself searching out Holst's Planets and was always playing it. Started recognizing it in films. Led me to other classical music. Still listen to it.

wallmeat

Oct 28, 2017
I could never narrow it down to just one, so...

High school:

Green Day - Insomniac
At the Drive-in - Relationship of Command
Weezer - Blue
NOFX - So Long and Thanks for all the Shoes
Less Than Jake - Anthem
Saves the Day - Through Being Cool

Early college:

The Get Up Kids - On a Wire
Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Guided by Voices - Bee Thousand
Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness
Built to Spill - There is Nothing Wrong With Love

I have really fond memories of being on a road trip with friends, sitting in the backseat spacing off while Yankee Hotel Foxtrot was playing on the stereo. What a nice time.

Some days I really wish I could give my high school self a mixtape of all the shit I'm into now to see how I'd react.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
First five Metallica albums. From 13 to 15 years old, they were quite literally the only band I listened to. Throw in some Aerosmith, Ozzy, and Megadeth here and there, but Metallica were IT.

Then the middle of high school happened and I discovered Radiohead, Pink Floyd, and Matthew Good Band.

Oct 30, 2017
The Mars Volta's De-Loused in the Comatorium.
Fpskoq4.jpg

The first notes of Son Et Lumiere make me feel like I'm 14 again.

great pick, i remember leaving school at lunch break to go buy this. and it still shreds!

i was going to say relationship of command but i could go either way.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Linkin Park's Hybrid Theory or Rammstein's Mutter.

If you go slightly younger it's Coolio's Gangster's Paradise.

supernormal

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Ctrl+F - DMX = No results

I'm disappointed ERA.

220px-Flesh_Of_My_Flesh.jpg

Even the artwork sticks with me till this day. Also this.

220px-The_Marshall_Mathers_LP.jpg

I was maybe 9-10 at the time, and it was the first time in my life I liked and chose to listen to specific music. Before that, I just listened to whatever my parents or people in my house listened. These albums shattered all preconceived notions of what I thought music was until then.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
While reading Heinlein as a teen found myself searching out Holst's Planets and was always playing it. Started recognizing it in films. Led me to other classical music. Still listen to it.
Cool. Classical music has always seemed underappreciated. I've gone through a couple of phases in my life where I've listened to and explored the classical composers extensively and been amazed at the variety and complexity. It's really great music.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
Early youth is too much of a mixing pot of radio songs. Didn't start building my own collection until I was in my mid teens. For that era:

41VB3MY1KAL.jpg

Funeral

TheModestGun

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Hmm probably either Make Yourself by Incubus or Good News For People Who Love Bad News by Modest Mouse. Both very formative albums for me in my early to mid teens.

BakedTanooki

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
A lot of Metal and Punk Rock Albums.
"Land Of The Free" and "From The Ashes" by Pennywise, The first 2 Slipknot Albums, The Empire Strikes First by Bad Religion, Shadow Zone by Static X, Toxicity by System of a Down, And out come the Wolves by Rancid, PennyBridge Pioneers by Millencolin, Rise of Brutality by Hatebreed, the first album by The Black Dahlia Murder, and many many more. All when I was like 16 or 17, 13 years ago.

Recluse

Oct 25, 2017
AnthemsToTheWelkinAtDusk.jpg

Emperor - Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk (1997)

Discovered Black Metal when I was like 13... and at first I was like "what is this.. noise...?" But something about the dark imagery and chaotic sound of it all did something to me.
I kept listening to it out of fascination, I wasn't really enjoying it as music.... but I kept listening and eventually I "got it".

Then I spent the next 15 years as an insufferable music snob. I even became a "Kvlt" metal artist myself... ( i.e., Completely failed to make a career out of it.)

I barely listen to any metal these days, but this album definitely shaped who I was as a youth.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
I can't give you just one, just like there's not one year of my childhood there's too many albums that impacted me over that period.

Standouts are Nirvana's Nevermind, Pearl Jam's Ten, Soundgarden's Superunknown, Nine Inch Nails The Downward Spiral and Radiohead's OK Computer.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Foo Fighters' There is Nothing Left to Lose and Queens of the Stone Age's Songs for the Deaf are probably the two that most pushed me into the direction that I found myself in. Dave Grohl was also a pretty decent role model-ish (seemed like a cool down to earth guy and a generally nice guy who treated everyone well). QOTSA's album was released when I was about 13 and I only really found Foo Fighters around the same time. I had liked Learning to Fly earlier when it was released and the music video played on MTV but it wasn't until later that I really started listening to FF and it happened around the same time as I found QOTSA.

I'd also say the the original soundtracks of Final Fantasy VI, Chrono Trigger and Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past were really important too. My appreciation for video game music & orchestral music has just grown since then, but the seeds were really sown back then with those three.