Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm nearly done with the two seasons of Harley Quinn. I only have three or four episodes left. This show is amazing!

Also:
(spoiler for the end of season 1)

I'm nearly done with the two seasons of Harley Quinn. I only have three or four episodes left. This show is amazing!

Also:
(spoiler for the end of season 1)

giphy.gif

Glad ya love it

OP
OP
Conditional-Pancakes

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
Alright, so I could complete Harley Quinn. Turned out I only had one episode left, lol! Thanks so much for the recommendation, I had a blast with this!

(Since I loved Harley Quinn so much and really liked Birds of Prey, I was wondering if I needed to give comic book and superhero movies more of a chance. So I watched Suicide Squad for the first time. You know, it has the same character... Oh, what a mistake! Such a misogynistic and racist piece of garbage that was. I hated it! I can't believe it comes from the same place as Harley Quinn and Birds of Prey. Yuck.)

Owl House takes off once the setting changes. Also, you only just got introduced to Amity, who is the breakout character of the show

I watched another three episodes of Owl House, and it's really growing on me. I find the main character very likable, and the world around her begins to be very fun too. It's a cool show. I really want to know what happens next.

I wonder what I should also begin watching right now in addition to Owl House. I can't decide between Kipo, She-Ra, or Over the Garden Wall. Or maybe something else?

WetWaffle

Oct 25, 2017
If you haven't watched these old ones, try
Spawn (HBO)
Aeon Flux
Sym-Bionic Titan
Static Shock
Spectacular Spider-man
The Proud Family
Over the Garden Wall

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, so I could complete Harley Quinn. Turned out I only had one episode left, lol! Thanks so much for the recommendation, I had a blast with this!

(Since I loved Harley Quinn so much and really liked Birds of Prey, I was wondering if I needed to give comic book and superhero movies more of a chance. So I watched Suicide Squad for the first time. You know, it has the same character... Oh, what a mistake! Such a misogynistic and racist piece of garbage that was. I hated it! I can't believe it comes from the same place as Harley Quinn and Birds of Prey. Yuck.)

I watched another three episodes of Owl House, and it's really growing on me. I find the main character very likable, and the world around her begins to be very fun too. It's a cool show. I really want to know what happens next.

I wonder what I should also begin watching right now in addition to Owl House. I can't decide between Kipo, She-Ra, or Over the Garden Wall. Or maybe something else?

If you like Harley Quinn then you owe yourself to watch The Venture Bros. A lot of the Harley Quinn humor and vibe seems directly based on what the Venture Bros. was doing for over a decade. Not too mention VB is a better show than most live action prestige dramas. Its "The Wire" of animated series.

Nubzcake

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This thread is riddled with excellent recommendations. Thanks to all who made suggestions

grand

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, the Suicide Squad movie is pretty bad despite being the origination of Harley's modern outfit. Thankfully, every other interpretation of Harley is based on her original Batman: The Animated Series character and the other properties she's in tend to be far less gross. And Warner apparently feels the same considering they're already rebooting Suicide Squad lol

Which show you watch next just comes down to what you have a taste for as all three are great.

SHE-RA SQUAD

DO IT OP

lol! OK, OK. I guess it's what I'll be starting next :p

What is that?
Home Movies is an early aughts sitcom/cartoon from the creator of Bob's Burgers

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
lol! OK, OK. I guess it's what I'll be starting next :p
She-Ra's pretty fucking good. The first season's a bit fluffy, is the best way I'd put it. Like the themes and characters are legit all the way through, but the fights and the tone can feel very light at times. By the end of the season it finds its footing and the rest of the series is much more even in its tone and has more weight to it with its action.

Also this intro is fire

Raxus

Oct 26, 2017
Currently airing must watches:
Owl House
Amphibia
Infinity Train (final Season in a few days :()
Harley Quinn

Completed series that are classics:
She-ra
Steven Universe
Over the Garden Wall
Ducktales (all 3 seasons will be available to stream at the end of April)

Simpsons but consistent quality tier
Bob's Burgers

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Excellent thread full of excellent suggestions. Only one I can think of that I haven't seen mentioned is Tron Uprising. Don't skip, it's awesome.

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
How many times was Star Wars: The Clone Wars suggested?

Watch that.

Then watch the sequel Star Wars Rebels The Bad Batch.

Comrade Grogu

Banned
Jun 20, 2020
Star War Rebels is very good, but it takes a bit to get going. "Twilight of the Apprentice" and "Twin Suns" are up there with the best TCW episodes.
Yeah, I liked it, but it doesn't scratch that TCW itch that was missing; it was basically it's own thing.

Which is fine.

But I wanted more TCW, even if it took place in the Imperial era eventually, which is pretty much what we're getting.

Hopefully, we'll see the Ghost crew again in their own sequel series to Rebels.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Star Wars: The Clone Wars -- The best Star Wars anything ever created (Full disclosure though, takes a while for some people to get into)
Samurai Jack -- Genndy Tartakovsky's masterpiece series
Primal -- Also Genndy, also good
Scooby Doo! Mystery Incorporated -- The best Scooby Doo series ever, with a focus on serialization, really fun watch -- Also, this is going to be the closest thing, vibe-wise to Gravity Falls, if you enjoyed that.
Venture Brothers -- Great adult comedy show, parodying Johnny Quest and a wide range of other things
Gargoyles - Fantastic show from the 90s
Harley Quinn - Adult comedy set in the DC universe
The entire "Timmverse" of DC Superhero stuff (Batman: The Animated Series, Superman, Justice League/Unlimited, Static Shock)
Young Justice -- Similar vibes to a lot of the old Timm stuff, but newer.
Batman: The Brave and the Bold -- More of a comedic fun romp than the other DC toons listed here.

Also airing now, new: Invincible.

Godfather

Game on motherfuckers
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Primal
Harley Quinn
She-Ra

If you like Star Wars at all:
Clone Wars
Rebels

OP
OP
Conditional-Pancakes

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
SHE-RA SQUAD

DO IT OP

You weren't kidding... I began watching She-Ra yesterday and I'm 5 episodes in. It's great! I really like the overall tone, and the characters are intriguing and very likable. I'm very early in the show, but I'm already hooked.

She-Ra's pretty fucking good. The first season's a bit fluffy, is the best way I'd put it. Like the themes and characters are legit all the way through, but the fights and the tone can feel very light at times. By the end of the season it finds its footing and the rest of the series is much more even in its tone and has more weight to it with its action.

Also this intro is fire

The intro is amazing!

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
Catra did nothing wrong

Catra did some things wrong but it was out of a reaction to abuse and neglect and lingering anger due to her abandonment issues

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
You weren't kidding... I began watching She-Ra yesterday and I'm 5 episodes in. It's great! I really like the overall tone, and the characters are intriguing and very likable. I'm very early in the show, but I'm already hooked.

The intro is amazing!
there is a full version

and to celebrate the final season they had the voice actress for Catra (who happens to be in a band with her sister and has been for a long time) do a different version of it

I spoilered them only because technically the thumbnails might be minor spoilers :P

Kharnete

Has Hecht’s Number
Oct 25, 2017
Genndy Tartakovsky's Primal. Caveman and Dino suffer tragedy before joining forces to survive in a harsh unforgiving and relentless prehistoric fantasy world. No dialogue, no exposition, just raw animated beauty and carnage.

Primal%2B%2528Top%2BPick%2529.gif

How the hell I didn't know this was a thing.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
Oh shit are you talking about the old show from the 90s? Wow, I only have very faint memories of it. Is it good? Does it hold up?
Yes, it's very good. Season 3 sucks though, the creator of the show did a comic continuation that continues after season 2, it's collected in the two Clan Building trade paperbacks (plus one trade paperback of the Bad Guys spin-off which was also pretty good)

There are a lot of Ducktales suggestions in the thread. As someone that didn't really watch the original and don't have any nostalgia about it, is the reboot still worth it?
It's definitely worth it.

I also think you'd like Steven Universe, it's a slow burn at the start but so worth it. It's five seasons, the movie and then the Future epilog season after that.

You also said not to recommend anime but I'll do it anyway because they're really just Japanese cartoons, functionally there's no difference, you just have too pick the right ones just like with American cartoons.

"Your Lie in April" is about a young pianist who has a mental breakdown after the death of his mother and stops playing until he meets a young violinist. It's a very good series, very emotional.

"Carole & Tuesday" is about two women forming a singer/songwriter duo.

Both are dubbed on Netflix so there's no language barrier.

goku01899

Oct 29, 2017
For good slice-of-life comedies definitely check out:

Big City Greens (Disney+)
Craig of the Creek (CN/HBO Max)
O.K. KO! (Hulu/HBO Max)
Apple and Onion (HBO Max)

grand

Oct 25, 2017

The intro is amazing!
Yeah, if you're already hooked, you're gonna love the show. It only gets better as it goes on

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
Close Enough (HBO Max)
Glitch Techs (Netflix)
Amphibia (Disney Channel/ Plus)
Big City Greens (Disney Channel/ Plus)

Oct 27, 2017
Another major vote for:

Steven Universe (HBO Max)
Kipo & The Age of Wonderbeasts (Netflix)

Both shows (while they do very different things with them) have really really really good music.

Also, fun fact, OP: Noelle Stevenson actually directly cites Steven Universe as the reason she was able to make She-Ra as inclusive as it was.

I was going to link to the article, but it contains major SU spoilers, so I decided against it, lol.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Most of the greats have already been mentioned so I'm going to expand on one of the shows mentioned a few times here:

Star Vs The Forces of Evil

I noticed that some of the people here who posted in the original Star Vs thread declined to recommend the show which I can understand and relate to. I would say most of us who watched the show to the end have mixed feelings about it.

The main problem with the show by the end, imo, is that it opened up a lot of interesting things that it ultimately couldn't deliver on in a satisfying manner. Whether that be with character relationships, villains, side plots, or arcs, the show runners just couldn't seem to deliver on them despite showing a lot of promise early on. The ending also had a lot of us saying "ok, I guess that may as well happen" which probably isn't the reaction you should be looking for in a series Finale.

However, even with all this said I still think you should give the show a shot. Watching it was a fun experience and there is great moments to be had even with its faults. Journey not the destination and all that jazz.

One more thing if you decide to jump in, and I know your probably tired of hearing this, but watch until the end of season 1 to get a proper opinion on if you might like the series or not. Most of season 1 is slice of life stuff and misadventures which oddly feels enduring now considering season 2 and onwards focuses heavy on the overarching plot without many episodes to stop and take a breath.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
Catra did nothing wrong

Catra did some things wrong but it was out of a reaction to abuse and neglect and lingering anger due to her abandonment issues

Granted, I'm only in season 2....

But Catra did a lot of fucking things wrong. She gets on my nerves so much.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
To paraphrase George RR Martin: "you know you've written a realistic character when the fanbase is divided on loving or hating them"

OP
OP
Conditional-Pancakes

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
I could finish watching season 1 of She-Ra. I love it so much! I really like the overall design of the world and the characters. They're all great, but I particularly love Catra, what a beautifully complex character. And Mermista and Scorpia always make me laugh so much.

Can't wait to begin season 2 (although S2 and S3 really have a low number of episodes compared to the other ones, I wonder what happened.)

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
I could finish watching season 1 of She-Ra. I love it so much! I really like the overall design of the world and the characters. They're all great, but I particularly love Catra, what a beautifully complex character. And Mermista and Scorpia always make me laugh so much.

Can't wait to begin season 2 (although S2 and S3 really have a low number of episodes compared to the other ones, I wonder what happened.)
That's a thing Netflix likes to do, releasing what was produced as a single season as two seasons.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
What should I be watching next? And please tell me why I should watch the shows you're recommending :)
(Also, please note that I'm not an anime person at all, so please do not recommend anime shows as I probably won't want to watch them.)

Over the Garden Wall

Rilakkuma and Kaoru

They are both wonderful, wholesome, imaginative, fun and align with your tastes really well.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017

Catra is one of my favorite characters in a very long time when it comes to Western animation. Phenomenal. Her and Glimmer are my favorites

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020

It's technically just one season but for some reason Netflix split it in two. She-Ra is really 4, 13 episode seasons and not 5 seasons.

Also yes, stan Catra (even though she does so much wrong).

Jan 29, 2018
Central Park on Apple TV+ is great. It's from the Bob's Burgers creator(s) and has two or three musical numbers per episode. I'm eagerly awaiting the second season.

xChildofhatex

Oct 25, 2017
Off the top of my head:

Samurai Jack
Young Justice
Avengers - Earth's Mightiest Heroes
Trollhunters
New Ducktales

Dustlander

Dec 25, 2017
Brazil
The Owl House and Infinity Train are two of my recent favorites, both are phenomenal.

Also, if you haven't yet, please watch Over the Garden Wall asap. It's a miniseries so only one season, but it's an obligatory watch for any animation fan.

OP
OP
Conditional-Pancakes

Conditional-Pancakes

The GIFs of Us
Jun 25, 2020
the wilderness
Over the Garden Wall

Rilakkuma and Kaoru

They are both wonderful, wholesome, imaginative, fun and align with your tastes really well.

The Owl House and Infinity Train are two of my recent favorites, both are phenomenal.

Also, if you haven't yet, please watch Over the Garden Wall asap. It's a miniseries so only one season, but it's an obligatory watch for any animation fan.

Over the Garden Wall is definitely on my list.

Right now I'm watching She-Ra and The Owl House, and right after I'll probably go for Over the Garden Wall.

Right now on my "will watch for sure!" list I have:
- Over the Garden Wall
- Kipo and the Age of Wonderbeasts

Everybody is talking about Infinity Train so I probably should put it on the list, but I'm not quite sure about the theme. There are also a lot of recommendations for the Ducktales reboot, but it's another case of me not being quite sure if I'll like the overall theme.

And you know one thing I find interesting with this tread? So far there aren't any real recommendations for Rick and Morty. I never watched it, and from what I read I'm not sure it's something I would like, but I thought this show was generally well liked? I was sure the thread would be full of Rick and Morty recommendations.

Thanks for all the recommendations everybody! Please keep them coming and keep telling me what you like about these shows!!

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Everybody is talking about Infinity Train so I probably should put it on the list, but I'm not quite sure about the theme. There are also a lot of recommendations for the Ducktales reboot, but it's another case of me not being quite sure if I'll like the overall theme.
The actual theme of Infinity train is different each season, and a synopsis doesn't cover it very well.
As for ducktales, if you have any like for any 80s/90s disney afternoon cartoons it's an absolute must watch, but even without any love for those it's still a very well crafted adventure with some overarching plots and great characters. Like, it does the impossible. It makes Donald Duck a likable character.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
And you know one thing I find interesting with this tread? So far there aren't any real recommendations for Rick and Morty. I never watched it, and from what I read I'm not sure it's something I would like, but I thought this show was generally well liked? I was sure the thread would be full of Rick and Morty recommendations.
It's one of those cases where some fans were obnoxious, ergo Era hates it now. It's still a solid comedy, though I haven't watched season 3+ myself.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Over the Garden Wall is definitely on my list.

Right now I'm watching She-Ra and The Owl House, and right after I'll probably go for Over the Garden Wall.

Right now on my "will watch for sure!" list I have:
- Over the Garden Wall
- Kipo and the Age of Wonderbeasts

Thanks for all the recommendations everybody! Please keep them coming and keep telling me what you like about these shows!!
People generally assume everyone has watched Rick and Morty.

It is one of the most hilarious and consistently entertaining animated shows ever made, you definitely should see it asap.

Salamande

Oct 25, 2017
Here's something a bit different that I haven't heard suggested.

The Midnight Gospel is about a kid who goes to different realities to interview the inhabitants, but it's also based on a series of podcasts by Duncan Trussell, with visuals by the guy behind Adventure Time. The juxtaposition between the dialogue and the happenings on screen is one of the most fascinating things I've seen a TV show do, and some of the episodes are absolutely killer emotionally. It's a really ambitious, yet deeply personal show that I love.