• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BloodRayne

Jul 3, 2020
In a couple of weeks/months I'll be attending Death Metal and Black Metal shows for the first time. I've been to Metal shows before (Metallica, Megadeth, Rammstein...) where the audience is so large that it wasn't difficult to avoid the mosh pits for the most part lol but now I'm going with someone to these other shows where I think I'm gonna be thrown around like a ragdoll.

The shows will take place in medium-sized venues. First it's the Death Metal show, the band is Carcass and I'm just starting to listen to their songs. The Black Metal show will take place in a few months, the band is Asagraum. Never heard of them before, pretty intense.

I'm anticipating these shows will be very intense and I'll probably get trapped and pulverized in a mosh pit. Also, Black Metal kinda doesn't have the best reputation... I think. But the person I'm going with is like "don't worry, it's gonna be fun" šŸ˜‚ I'll report back if I survive.

So, to those with experience in this: What can I expect from these shows and their crowds?

eZipsis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
In my many years of experience, at least with Australian crowds at shows like this, the mosh pit can be pretty hectic but the majority of the time everyone there is great and just wanting to have a good time. If you fall over people will clear around you and help you up.

The only issue I've ever had was when I caught a drumstick and a guy twice my size tried to take it from me. He didn't get it.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
You'll be fine. The pit isn't a vortex that pulls you in, if you want out you can get out. Worst thing might happen is someone knocks into you a bit and you lose your balance some but that's it.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Death Metal crowds are cool, most metal crowds tbh. Some of my favorite shows to attend, went to one on Sunday. Was sludge/doom metal.

Now black metal? lol, are you a minority? Gonna have to do some research on the band then. Looks like there was some smoke on Asagraum.

sejny

Oct 30, 2017
Carcass Heartwork is one of the best albums of all time! I used to go to a lot of metal shows but it's been a while. You should be able to find a relatively safe spot to enjoy the show. Have fun - I'm jealous!

FirstBlood

Oct 27, 2017
Philadelphia
Can't imagine either of those shows will be particularly rowdy. Carcass will probably just be all oldheads headbanging, and Black Metal shows aren't typically that intense physically.

EraldoCoil

Oct 28, 2017
Cali
Metal shows are the dopest. Pit always keeps to itself and is usually popping and they are pretty careful about the people around them. Everyone is chill too, met lots of dope people at small to mid size metal shows

h0tp0ck3t

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
In my experience at metal shows the pit is always by the stage. If you hang by the bar you'll be fine. Also the crowds are always great

Jeffolation

Shinra Employee
Oct 30, 2017
The pit is easily avoided as mentioned, enjoy the music and have a good time. Always wanted to see Carcass live, would be a trip to see the early stuff played.

Mar 21, 2018
Good natured nerds. I've been going to metal gigs for 25 years and the only times I encountered arseholes were skinheads in the pit at Slayer shows.

Metal peeps are chill.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
My limited experience at black metal shows is that they are...weirdly more chill than some. That mostly comes from the fact that the venues just aren't big enough for things to get really out of hand. I saw Abbath most recently and there was enough space in the (small af) venue to find a spot and basically not have anyone come close enough to me to be worried about.

Obviously right up front or near the pit is a different story, but that's kind of true regardless of metal subgenre or band.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
things can get nuts but it's 2024 the etiquette mostly changed. caveat is if you push back too much some will take it as personal aggression and will respond thus

astroturfing

Nov 1, 2017
Suomi Finland
only been to one black metal show, slept through all five no-name bands lol. venue had a couch and all the bands just sounded the exact same, so what can you do.. literally put me to sleep.

seriously though the number one thing to do is google the black metal band first to make sure they're not nazis.. i think there's a list somewhere.

Death: waaaay to much energy for their own good but they will take care of you.

Black: chill and more solitary experience. Screen the bands before for NSBM trash. If DSBM the piercing screams around you are normal.

Blackened Death: Don't look them in the eyes and don't engage in their mosh.

Garble Slew

Oct 27, 2017
Atlanta, Georgia
I've been going to metal shows for over 20 years and aside from the occasional skinhead showing up and getting too aggressive in the pit it's always been chill. Also, I don't recall ever being in a pit that I didn't want to be in and I haven't been in one in a decade+.

I don't keep up much with black metal anymore so I don't know anything about the band you're seeing but you'll have a great time at Carcass.

Oct 27, 2017
moshpit-ekrom.gif

9wilds

Jan 1, 2022
I've seen people stomped, beaten and murdered. There's no way to ethically attend a death metal concern. If you do go, there's usually an animal sacrifice before the show, which is a great time to have some rites performed. Make sure you're there for that.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
Carcass is my favorite band of all time, I've seen them probably 10 times or even more. A pit is definitely going to form but as long as you stay out of it you should be fine if that's not your thing (I can't do them anymore myself, I'm getting too old lol).

Black Metal can get dicey because some bands are... uh, pretty white supremacy-y so I'd do research for whoever you're seeing and their crowd.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020
Closest I've been to was a few Cradle of Filth gigs back in the 00s. It wasn't much different to a modern day Enter Shikari or Don Broco gig except there was more corpse paint and middle aged men.

Just stay out of the centre of the crowd since that's where they'll get a wall of death going at any kind of mildly alternative concert.

edit: Hell, I saw Sum 41 two years ago and the crowd for that was more aggressive than the CoF crowds I was in.

Last edited:

beelulzebub

Oct 25, 2017
Death metal nerds are gentle people IRL, and that includes the pit. I go to around a dozen small and mid sized metal shows a year and more often than not the pit is self-regulating. There are often guardian angels that make sure everyone gets picked up if they fall and to keep the more unruly people in order. The pit is also very easy to avoid if you're fine hanging back a bit.

The crowds are generally pretty cool. I'll often go solo and meet cool people there.

DarthSpider

The Fallen
Nov 15, 2017
Hiroshima, Japan
I've never had an issue at a metal or punk show. Everyone in the pit has always observed pit etiquette. When hardcore started getting big in the late 90s and early 2000s I remember having a bad time at some of those shows because there were lots of dudes who would just swing and flail their arms obviously hoping to connect with someone. Those people usually got taken out pretty quickly though.

Siyou

Oct 27, 2017
Vett your black metal bands before supporting them. I cannot emphasize this enough. The last thing you likely want to do is support NSBM bands. The black metal scene is rampant with this, which is why I'm actually having the toughest time trying new bands out from the genre because of how prevalent NSBM is.

mightyrat

Sep 30, 2022
Just don't enter the pit if you dont want to. Stand back, find a good viewing point and enjoy the show.

If you decide to go into the Pit youll have a great time until you get exhausted then you can leave and watch the show from a comfy position.

Oct 29, 2017
Minnesota
More chill than you think, at least in my limited experience. Expect a lot of dudes with frowns crossing their arms, not moving. This is how they show their appreciation for the music.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've seen people stomped, beaten and murdered. There's no way to ethically attend a death metal concern. If you do go, there's usually an animal sacrifice before the show, which is a great time to have some rites performed. Make sure you're there for that.
hey man they signed pain waivers

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Death metal audience is fine, seen Carcass too, great fun. Doubt they're likely to play Keep on Rotting but the harmony in that one is a classic. Black Metal on the other hand has a shit load of of Nazis. Not all Black Metal is Nazi's but there's enough of it that you should research the band, and even then you're likely to have some in the audience regardless.

A quick Google and I found the BM band you're looking at support eugenics and think the mentally ill should be executed, so yeah, fun bunch. Actually found a quote from an interview with the main songwriter that's been largely scrubbed from the web, but can still be tracked down with a bit of work.

We kill the human evolution with keeping every genetically and intellectually degraded individual alive artificially on societies costs! The politically correct, weakness-protecting cattle of degraded sheep may drop dead and I hope the Wolves will stand up inspired by black metal!

They also have worked with neo nazis and produced an album under a neo nazi label. They're actually pretty deep in even for BM imo. You can probably expect an outwardly fascist audience for them

Last edited:

Shane

Oct 25, 2017
Always friendly. I stay out of any pits in those smaller venues but it's easy to see that everyone is looking out for each other.

9wilds

Jan 1, 2022
Death metal audience is fine, seen Carcass too, great fun. Doubt they're likely to play Keep on Rotting but the harmony in that one is a classic. Black Metal on the other hand has a shit load of of Nazis. Not all Black Metal is Nazi's but there's enough of it that you should research the band, and even then you're likely to have some in the audience regardless.

A quick Google and I found the BM band you're looking at support eugenics and think the mentally ill should be executed, so yeah, fun bunch. Actually found a quote from an interview with the main songwriter that's been largely scrubbed from the web, but can still be tracked down with a bit of work.

They also have worked with neo nazis and produced an album under a neo nazi label. They're actually pretty deep in even for BM imo. You can probably expect an outwardly fascist audience for them

God damn.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
This is all true.

If you wear glasses, best stay out of the moshpits

Latonin

Sep 23, 2023
Just to add to everything. Metal shows are generally very chill. Just stay out of the center/front center and it should be fine.

Even if you are in the center people will let you out real quick if a pit starts.

Even if you go into the pit the people there generally take care of each other...watch your toes though.

coma

Oct 28, 2017
You'll be wishing Carcass weren't playing so many of their lamer tracks.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
The people at both shows will be ridiculously kind. That's true of metal in general. DM peeps are like a mix of old heads, punks, and nerds. BM peeps are the same mix, but with a higher nerd ratio. The worst thing you'll have to deal with at a BM show will be chuuni teens that make you cringe a bit.

But hold up. Carcass is not a simple DM band. They're a goregrind/gridcore band. Core means punk. Punks are also usually lovely, especially at metal shows, but they're also the only people you ever have to worry about going a bit too far in the pit. Like, if you'd said you were going to see Krisiun, I'd be like "death metal crowd: don't give it a second thought", but if you were going to see Black Flag, I'd be like "punk crowd: keep an eye out for flying elbows".

A band like Carcass or Napalm Death is going to draw more punks, but the vibe will be a metal show. So there will be two bald guys going apeshit as opposed to like eight.

Edit: whoa, hey, yeah maybe rethink the BM show if they're racists

Last edited:

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
You should be fine with metal shows. Like 9 out of 10 people there are really chill and usual call out (or sometimes lay out) the person being an asshole.

I agree with some of the posts in this thread about looking into the black metal band, unfortunately that genre of metal is kind of a minefield in of itself.

Polk

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe it's regional thing but outside of festivals everything is chill here. There might be small pits here and there. Lot of people in their 40-50s so it might be explanation.

Also please wear earplugs.

Edit: whoa, hey, yeah maybe rethink the BM show if they're racists
Unfortunately that's my biggest pet peeve with gerne. Too many "whoo was that supposed to be just shocking/blasphemous or are they nazis".

Last edited:

gilded_Pb

Oct 27, 2017
Its totally fine.

I also saw Carcass a couple weeks ago and am seeing Suffocation/Revocation later tonight.

Turin

Oct 27, 2017
People are generally very nice at metal shows. I very much need to see Thou live before I die dammit šŸ˜©

Maybe I'm tinfoil hat-ing here but sometimes I think bands that sound like BM will just elect to identify with a different genre bc of the accumulated baggage over the years

CoolAssGoat

Oct 27, 2017

There's something rich about desiring to kill all mentally ill for the sake of evolution when your only contribution to mankind is a shitty neo-nazi BM band whose only gimmick is that it's an all-female outfit.

TommyTheGunn

Apr 18, 2024
Just like any show depending on where you stand you'll get a different experience. I seen slayer on their last UK tour and the circle pits were crazy fun, if anyone fell over everyone would stop pick them up and make sure they're okay then i've been to hardcore shows and it's a free-for-all but mainly at the front. You'll be alright, everyones there to have fun at the end of the day.

Melody Shreds

Oct 25, 2017
Terminal Dogma
It's generally a friendly and chill place, at least around here. hardcore metalheads tend to be some of the nicest people ive ever met and well, i'm one of them myself! Been in the mosh pits and people are even careful to make sure nobody ever gets hurt.