Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Opposite now , which movies saved careers?

Iron Man pretty much saved/revived RDJ career
Matrix 1 saved Keanu's career (more of personal opinion for me)
Pulp Fiction revived Travolta's career (for a little bit before he ruined it again).

Oct 27, 2017
Little Children brought Jackie Earle Haley back from former child actor obscurity, and Watchmen was a shot in the arm as well. I think since then he's settled more into character parts but has had a healthy resurgence of movie and tv roles.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Minari for Steven Yuen, for all the fucked up reason. If he was a white dude he would have been beating off roles with a stick after Walking Dead. But he had to go and be exceptional to be even be considered in Hollywood

thekonamicode

Oct 27, 2017
Matthew McConaughey went from indie film stand out to romcom schlock to Oscar winner in the course of 20 years, so Dallas Buyers Club?

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Minari for Steven Yuen, for all the fucked up reason. If he was a white dude he would have been beating off roles with a stick after Walking Dead. But he had to go and be exceptional to be even be considered in Hollywood

You're probably right for features, but he's gotten a lot of work. Dude has done a lot of voice acting.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
Mickey Rourke in Sin City maybe? It was a major comeback for him and led to The Wrestler which was hailed as his greatest performance, as well as other roles like in Iron Man 2 and The Expendables.

Though he seems to have fallen off again in the last decade.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
John Travolta with Pulp Fiction

a682158dea74fdf2754a1b5fcff6705bd6-23-travolta-pulp-ficion.2x.rsquare.w330.jpg

Career was all-but-over, but this film completely turned around his career and public persona.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
I was going to say Keanu with John Wick. His career wasn't dead prior, but it was another shot in the arm.

Yeah a shot in the arm is a good way to put it. I'd add Taken for Liam Neeson to that list of "not saved but certainly boosted." He was still in some big stuff up till then but that movie basically gave his career an entire second act as an action hero.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Johnny Depp and Pirates of the Caribbean
Ryan Reynolds and Deadpool
Christoph Waltz and Inglorious Basterds

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017
Travolta with pulp fiction is like yhe dictionary example here. Such a complete 180 on his trajectory and image

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017

Hasn't Yuen flat out said he doesn't do a lot of Hollywood roles because he just doesn't want to?

MamaSpaghetti

Banned
Mar 17, 2022
latest

Brought Mickey Rourke back into the limelight, and then he promptly threw it all away again right after :p

Temp_User

Oct 30, 2017
Tom Cruise needed Tropic Thunder to take the stink of his meme-worthy Oprah appearance and Scientology leanings.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Patricia Arquette - Boyhood
Sly Stallone - Creed

Directors:
MNS - The Visit/Split
Wes Craven - Scream
George Miller - Fury Road

Last edited:

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Does it have to be a movie they were in to count?

If not: Ke Huy Quan was inspired by Crazy Rich Asians to start acting again after an almost 20-year gap

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Tom Cruise needed Tropic Thunder to take the stink of his meme-worthy Oprah appearance and Scientology leanings.

when i heard he was joining a ben stiller comedy for a bit of PR rehab i thought oh no... dude's career is so fucked.

obviously what i had in mind was completely different from what kind of role it actually was

Autumn

Avenger
Apr 1, 2018
Brooklyn for Saoirse Ronan. She got a Oscar nomination for that film and two more after. She was always considered a good actress but post-Brooklyn made her one of the best of her generation and only 27.

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
The Godfather for Marlon Brando. Then later that year, Last Tango In Paris had its premiere. Two wildly different masterpieces in the same year, what a comeback.

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
Depp is an interesting case. He was considered box office poison during the 90s despite making a number of very good films. That along with his off-screen reputation and general… Deppness made him a controversial choice for Pirates even with Disney.

Saving isn't the right word because he famously didn't care and was still plenty popular in the 90s doing his own thing, but Pirates absolutely catapulted him to A-list status, made him world-famous and transformed his career - arguably making it a lot less interesting.

I think that's another one for the "shot in the arm" list, though it could be viewed negatively as far as the overall quality of his post-Pirates movies.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
Tom Hanks was so miserable after Bonfire of the Vanities he legit thought his career would never recover, but Penny Marshall convinced him to play Dugan in A League of Their Own and he got his mojo back.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Depp is an interesting case. He was considered box office poison during the 90s despite making a number of very good films. That along with his off-screen reputation and general… Deppness made him a controversial choice for Pirates even with Disney.

Saving isn't the right word because he famously didn't care and was still plenty popular in the 90s doing his own thing, but Pirates absolutely catapulted him to A-list status, made him world-famous and transformed his career - arguably making it a lot less interesting.

I think that's another one for the "shot in the arm" list, though it could be viewed negatively as far as the overall quality of his post-Pirates movies.

Agreed. Really Edward ScissorHands took him from a pinup TV star to a movie actor, beyond his good looks.