ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
Boardwalk Empire is good for a bit. Something happens that feels like it should be something of a series finale, and it isn't. You might want to stop there? I don't know, I never finished it.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
TREME is just okay. But don't sleep on David Simon's GENERATION KILL.

OZ is also another great longer drama that really set the format for so much that came later.

Definitely check out BOARDWALK EMPIRE as well.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
euphoria-hbo-season-1-ratings-e1560730543934-768x262.jpeg

Deleted member 18407

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mr Show with Bob & David gave us Odenkirk's catchphrase of "GOD DAMN IT!" so it's the best show that ever aired on HBO.

TTG

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Comedies:
Veep(seasons 1-4 anyway, haven't watched the later ones. No, Trump doesn't ruin it) This goes on the Mount Rushmore.
Succession
Barry
Silicon Valley. I wouldn't ordinarily recommend it, but it's one of the very few shows on HBO that you can fall asleep to. So much of their stuff is edge of your seat, 100 mph
Curb, if it's to your taste. Sometimes it's hard to get past that so much of it is lightly edited improv.

Drama:
-The Wire. I'm not gonna say anything that hasn't been said before, except you can skip right over the other David Simon shows. And I say that having seen The Wire at least 3 times all the way through and read his book. The Duece, Treme, all that stuff doesn't have the same magic, but how could it?
-Yes, Game of Thrones and Westworld. They're not masterpiece shows, but have you seen some of the other shit out there? This is entertaining television that only seldom makes you cringe.
-Deadwood, if you're into it.

I have yet to check out Chernobyl. There's a bunch of shows that I enjoyed watching while they were on, but are not an outright recommendation. It depends on how much tv you're watching, if you run out of stuff, there's a lot of solid HBO drama content. I haven't mentioned the Sopranos, so there's that.

The Newsroom lulz

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Comedies:
Veep(seasons 1-4 anyway, haven't watched the later ones. No, Trump doesn't ruin it) This goes on the Mount Rushmore.
Succession
Barry
Silicon Valley. I wouldn't ordinarily recommend it, but it's one of the very few shows on HBO that you can fall asleep to. So much of their stuff is edge of your seat, 100 mph
Curb, if it's to your taste. Sometimes it's hard to get past that so much of it is lightly edited improv.

Drama:
-The Wire. I'm not gonna say anything that hasn't been said before, except you can skip right over the other David Simon shows. And I say that having seen The Wire at least 3 times all the way through and read his book. The Duece, Treme, all that stuff doesn't have the same magic, but how could it?
-Yes, Game of Thrones and Westworld. They're not masterpiece shows, but have you seen some of the other shit out there? This is entertaining television that only seldom makes you cringe.
-Deadwood, if you're into it.

I have yet to check out Chernobyl. There's a bunch of shows that I enjoyed watching while they were on, but are not an outright recommendation. It depends on how much tv you're watching, if you run out of stuff, there's a lot of solid HBO drama content. I haven't mentioned the Sopranos, so there's that.

The Newsroom lulz

Would succession really be considered comedy? I just assumed it was drama with some comedy sprinkled throughout

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Chernobyl is a miniseries event. Only 8 episodes. So is The Night Of. Both are 10/10.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Boardwalk Empire is good for a bit. Something happens that feels like it should be something of a series finale, and it isn't. You might want to stop there? I don't know, I never finished it.

it's one of the greats. problem is terrence winter got super interested in Vinyl (for some reason, show sucked) and couldn't wait to close out Boardwalk. so you got a half baked afterthought of a final season. but all things considered it ended okay

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Barry is excellent. It's a breezy watch too since the eps are only 30 min each.

True Detective S1 is one of my favorite seasons of television ever. Definitely a must watch.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
Barry is amazing
Band of Brothers is an absolute classic
Oz is huh... Interesting... Not sure how it holds up in 2019 tho

Jocund

Mar 9, 2018
As for the lesser known but impeccable:
Enlightened
Generation Kill
Boardwalk Empire
Sharp Objects
Insecure
Euphoria

TTG

Banned
Apr 16, 2019
Would succession really be considered comedy? I just assumed it was drama with some comedy sprinkled throughout

It blurs the line more than most shows, but yea. It's a lot more character driven and less episodic than most comedies and they almost always play it straight(music and cinematography), but it favors comedy more than other genre.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
Oz is huh... Interesting... Not sure how it holds up in 2019 tho

watched the whole thing recently, pretty good. obvously a pre-prestige era show (i.e. pre-Sopranos) and one of the story arcs is infamously stupid

but pretty good if you can stomach it - it's a pretty bleak show even by today's standards

Whitemex

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Getting On was underrated
I kind of enjoyed that Stephen Merchant show that only lasted one season and got a movie

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
watched the whole thing recently, pretty good. obvously a pre-prestige era show (i.e. pre-Sopranos) and one of the story arcs is infamously stupid

but pretty good if you can stomach it - it's a pretty bleak show even by today's standards
Yeah I remember the show being REALLY ROUGH to watch... You will never see J. Jonah Jameson the same way lol.

I also love that they basically released Augustus Hill's book that he spends the whole show writing...

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017
Enlightened and The Comeback are legit some of the best shows ever. Getting On is also great.

Boardwalk Empire was great for most of its run but they rushed the shit out of the rest of the story to get Vinyl on the air (ugh) so I'd hesitate to put it on any "Best Of" list - that final season was a total mess. (it also doesn't really qualify as being outside the obvious because it was one of HBO's highest profile shows ever)

Haven't seen the others but Animals is really bad

With the exception of maybe an episode or two, Animals was fucking terrible.

Always felt Big Love was underrated and more Bill Paxton is never a negative.

Big Love is one of HBO's best, though season 4 took the show into some bizarre and kinda sucky territory. Season 5 was a solid course correction but also felt rushed.

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Deuce, Jinx, and of course Rome.

If you aren't watching Succession you're missing out of TVs best show on right now

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017
Enlightened is the answer here. Was barely watched by anyone but was consistent critical hit, managed two amazing season and still had a respectable ending despite being cancelled.

WATCH ENLIGHTENED

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
  1. The Sopranos
  2. The Wire
  3. Veep
  4. Vice Principals
  5. Game of Thrones
  6. Oz
  7. Barry
  8. Ballers
#1 and #2 are so close I wish I could have combined them.

I am still working through their current season so I didn't want to include new shows.