awake4ages

Neo•Geo Saver
Oct 27, 2017
Title says it all. I decided not to buy Origins until it hits a sale which leaves a big Sonic-shaped hole in my heart.

I've played Freedom Planet, and just picked up the Spark the Electric Jester series upon recommendation in the Steam sale (really enjoying it!) - what other great stuff is out there? I'm moreso looking into 2D stuff right now to scratch that itch but not opposed to 3D either.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
The Spark dev also made Sonic Before and After the Sequel, which are good. They also made 3D sequels to Spark, with Spark 3 coming out soon.

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017
Freedom Planet and Spark are two solid choices (I was going to recommend them when I opened the thread), I'll say that you need to pay attention to the SAGE Expo because you'll find plenty of either Sonic fangames or indie games heavily inspired by Sonic (both games you mentioned were first shown at SAGE).

I'll post the trailers for the last 2 SAGE editions so you can skim through it and see if there's anything that catches your eyes.

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Play as the titular character, Eggman, Knuckles, or Super on this fan-game.

New ice/glacier level now in development.

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
your mom's house
srb2-title.png

This game fucking rules. Almost any comp can run it and it's a full experience.

latest

MV5BY2VkNmQ5ZWYtOGJhMy00YjBjLWE2N2UtOGUwYzI2MTJkMDhlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTA0MTM5NjI2._V1_.jpg

coop1.png

Go and play

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Oh boy, I'm happy you asked!

Sonic Robo Blast 2

SRB2 is my favorite 3D platformer overall. Not among fan games, or among Sonic games. Just 3D platformers in general. It feels like a 2D platformer in 3D in a way that no other game ever has to me. The controls are so fast and breezy, heavily affected by momentum in a way that gives it so much depth. The levels are elaborate multi-layered interconnected environments that translate the tiered level design of 2D Sonic games into 3D in a way that I didn't even know was possible.

THAT SAID, this game has a pretty steep learning curve. It's going to feel slippery. You're going to feel like your acceleration is way too fast. You're going to get lost in the levels. Everything comes together eventually—you learn how to control your momentum, you learn to use your speed to your advantage, you learn the design philosophy behind the structure of SRB2 levels and never get lost again. But until that point, you won't really get the full experience. Which is a shame, but I suppose the advantage of fan games is that it's allowed to be niche in a way that a commercial product could never be.

We have a pseudo-OT here:

www.resetera.com

Sonic Robo Blast 2 (3D Sonic fangame in development for 20+ years) releases huge new update. [New July 2020 update.]

What is Sonic Robo Blast 2, and why is the name so dumb? Sonic Robo Blast 2 is a 3D Sonic fangame that's been in development since March 1998. It predates the release of Sonic Adventure, so it represents a stark divergent point in the way 3D Sonic gameplay should be handled. No homing attack...

Last edited:

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I really like the Spark the Electric Jester games & the demo for Sonic Storm is pretty promising

I also really dig Polyroll but I think thats because its leaning into the "DOS knockoff of Sonic" vibe of games like Jazz Jackrabbit that I grew up with

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
I played Sonic GT late last year, and that was pretty cool. Lots of branching paths, but it rarely feels like you're lost. Granted, the times I did get lost were in the first level.

www.youtube.com

Sonic GT: S Rank All Stages!

Yo guys, thanks for tuning in. Today I'm showcasing SonicGT. This amazing fan project needs no introduction. Just make sure that you try it out if haven't ha...

The Deleter

Sep 22, 2019
I know everyone is recommending 3D games to start out with, but I also have to throw Sonic GT out there as well to start with lol. It's probably one of the more well-realized 3D Sonic games with rolling, loops, and insane speeds, so it's worth checking out for the Modern-Classic fusion alone that many people believe to be impossible to do.

As for 2D games, some of the most notable projects would be

Sonic Triple Trouble remade in 16 bit graphics

A Sonic Chaos remake in 16 bit graphics

And Sonic Galactic

There are other 2D games out there that are equally worth checking out but these are the ones that come to mind, as I don't remember as much of the scene as the 3D works unfortunately.

I do know if you're looking for a good Sonic-inspired fan game, Kyle and Lucy is definitely worth checking out, though iirc it's only a short demo for now.

lapper-unknown.jpg

https://sonicfangameshq.com/forums/showcase/kyle-lucy-wonderworld.234/

Play as the titular character, Eggman, Knuckles, or Super on this fan-game.

*video*

Oh this looks amazing. Whenever I see a Dreams Sonic fangame I'm always impressed by the worlds they manage to create; I need to keep paying attention to them at this rate.

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
To continue talking about good games with terrible names, I want to next mention Sonic vs Darkness: True Nightmare Revived. If you like Sonic Rush, this is an improved version of its formula.

OP
OP
awake4ages

awake4ages

Neo•Geo Saver
Oct 27, 2017
Lots of incredible suggestions in here, thanks everyone!

I wanted to toss in one of my own, Sonic Time Twisted. I discovered it last night and it has been my current obsession today! Plays almost like a sequel to Sonic CD with Sonic 3's shield system. Even adds some new elemental shields of its own!

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sonic GT, Sonic Robo Blast 2, and Sonic Smackdown are everything. Will all make you wish they were officially sponsored.

flashman92

Feb 15, 2018
I went back to Utopia recently, and the novelty has kinda worn off. Ignoring the fact that it's not really a game, even the momentum isn't as satisfying as something like GT, or even my new favorite "fan game/demo" Project Rascal.

Really high hopes for this one if it ever comes out.

Nov 9, 2017
Réunion
This is a repost of what I wrote in the Sonic Origins OP:

I don't want to create a thread about it, so I'll post that here.

While I was on Twitch, I saw someone playing a game called Sonic and the Fallen Star and I didn't know what it was. Turns out it's a brand new 2D fan game that was released maybe one day ago. I don't know if the game is good or not but I have to say I liked the style they chose for this game, the sprites seem unique.

You can download the game and the soundtrack here.

Last edited:

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
I know everyone is recommending 3D games to start out with, but I also have to throw Sonic GT out there as well to start with lol. It's probably one of the more well-realized 3D Sonic games with rolling, loops, and insane speeds, so it's worth checking out for the Modern-Classic fusion alone that many people believe to be impossible to do.

There are other 2D games out there that are equally worth checking out but these are the ones that come to mind, as I don't remember as much of the scene as the 3D works unfortunately.

I do know if you're looking for a good Sonic-inspired fan game, Kyle and Lucy is definitely worth checking out, though iirc it's only a short demo for now.

https://sonicfangameshq.com/forums/showcase/kyle-lucy-wonderworld.234/

Oh this looks amazing. Whenever I see a Dreams Sonic fangame I'm always impressed by the worlds they manage to create; I need to keep paying attention to them at this rate.
Looks like Sonic Galactic is coming along nicely

View: https://twitter.com/Sonic_Galactic/status/1672985664860585984?t=DqfKeRtZTZEb_ti5G6fT-Q&s=09