Votes: 28 6.2%
  • Cleaning

Votes: 27 6.0%

• Total voters

the_bromo_tachi

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Japan
I've worked various jobs before doing what I do now and from my experience, retail isn't that bad as long as you don't interact with customers. Plus some supermarkets in the US are backed with unions so you actually get a decent amount of benefits that no other retail jobs have.

I was a porter and while cleaning other people's shit sucked, I almost vomit once, but you set the schedule and most of the time, you're on your own.

I also worked in fast food and the coworkers, minus a few, were really nice. Once again, it's mostly interacting with people that made the job suck. However, the repeated customers or people complimenting you made the job somewhat bearable.

IMO, it would be a good thing if people actually worked in one of these jobs just so they can know how tough it is and stop treating the person behind the counter like shit. Or maybe Americans can stop tying a person's worth to the job they do. Or perhaps, how people think rich == smart, but I digress.

Jaymageck

Nov 18, 2017
Toronto
I've done both inbound call centre and cleaning and I'd do either of them again in a heartbeat before any kind of industrial job with a risk of dying horribly.

But of those 2, call centre is worse. Especially if you have handle time targets pushing you to get people off the line fast.

Rat Face

Sep 2, 2023
Fry's Electronics. I worked the front door where my only job was to greet people and then check receipts as they left. I could only take getting yelled at by people as I checked their receipts so many times. Quit after 3 weeks. So yeah, retail sucks.

geardo

Oct 27, 2017
Idk probably retail because you have the pleasure of being treated like shit by horrible customers everyday. Anything customer facing is trash.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
oh this is interesting. Please more details, what's particularly bad about that?
Well, you're surrounded by people who are at the end of their lives, but they wake up every day not realizing it. Some of them may feel like they were in the 20s when they went to bed last night and wake up in their 70s... Others are children, and you can't explain what happened to them. You have to feed, bathe, clothe, and perform all other care for the people whose families have abandoned because it's too hard for them to process what's happening to their parent/grandparents, so instead they live with no one there to anchor them. You may be the closest thing to a friend or family they have, and you watch them slowly lose themselves every day. I can't tell you how many people I sat next to and just talked about anything and everything while they were dying. Some dementia patients have moments of clarity before they go, like their brains are giving one last push trying not to die and they suddenly start speaking fluently again and you just have to sit there and talk knowing what's coming. Hearing is the last thing that goes, so even after their last breath, you keep talking to them for a few minutes, so they don't drift off in silence, or worse, hearing people talk about them dying.

Your days are filled with shit, piss, vomit, dealing with patients having existential panic attacks every single day. Some get combative, others get suicidal... The worst part is when they first get there, when they have more lucid days than not. Because then you're having to have the really difficult talks with them as you're helping them get ready or eat because, again, you are the only person who's there every day for them to confide in.

malingenie

Oct 29, 2017
Whichever job makes you cold call people in LinkedIn or conferences. I would hate to do that to people.

OP
OP
Lightjolly

Lightjolly

Oct 30, 2019
Well, you're surrounded by people who are at the end of their lives, but they wake up every day not realizing it. Some of them may feel like they were in the 20s when they went to bed last night and wake up in their 70s... Others are children, and you can't explain what happened to them. You have to feed, bathe, clothe, and perform all other care for the people whose families have abandoned because it's too hard for them to process what's happening to their parent/grandparents, so instead they live with no one there to anchor them. You may be the closest thing to a friend or family they have, and you watch them slowly lose themselves every day. I can't tell you how many people I sat next to and just talked about anything and everything while they were dying. Some dementia patients have moments of clarity before they go, like their brains are giving one last push trying not to die and they suddenly start speaking fluently again and you just have to sit there and talk knowing what's coming. Hearing is the last thing that goes, so even after their last breath, you keep talking to them for a few minutes, so they don't drift off in silence, or worse, hearing people talk about them dying.

Your days are filled with shit, piss, vomit, dealing with patients having existential panic attacks every single day. Some get combative, others get suicidal... The worst part is when they first get there, when they have more lucid days than not. Because then you're having to have the really difficult talks with them as you're helping them get ready or eat because, again, you are the only person who's there every day for them to confide in.
Even after all this I'd still rather do that than get yelled and berated by angry people on a phone all day.

Don't know something about being there for someone during their final moments seems altruistic

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
Has to be telemarketing because of the constant rejection and the knowledge you are making the world a worse place one phone call at a time.

Mining or logging, surely.
Maybe 100 hundreds years ago. Modern mining and logging jobs mostly involve sitting in an air-conditioned machine for 10-12 hours a day.

Mining also pays quite good. Not sure about logging.

SwampBastard

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
I've done call centre work for three different jobs, two were for banks and one of them was for a debt collection agency.

Never ever again!
Collections seems especially brutal. I had a girlfriend who got a job doing collections on mobile homes. Once she got trained and actually started doing the work, she'd come home and cry pretty much every day. She only lasted a few weeks before she had to quit for her mental health.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Of those in the poll and from my experience, a call center. Sure, it can be nice to have a seat, but the constant monitoring and churning cold calls throughout the day was quite awful. I quit after my first week (which was just training/orientation). There's worse out there, and more dangerous, but this is just from my experience.

Rob's Zombie

Sep 28, 2022
Manchester, UK
Collections seems especially brutal. I had a girlfriend who got a job doing collections on mobile homes. Once she got trained and actually started doing the work, she'd come home and cry pretty much every day. She only lasted a few weeks before she had to quit for her mental health.
It's pretty brutal stuff, I'm sorry she went through that, mate.

Weirdly enough, it was the insane hoops laid out by management and constant new rules, guidlines and other shit that the people up above would come up with that really drove me insane the most, I was pulled up once for being too nice.

I wanted to throw myself out the window from sheer stress at one point and the commute to work I almost had panic attacks just over the idea of having a terrible day, also suffered from the Sunday scaries aswell.

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed my stay working at a warehouse... While collecting an order. I could just walk around mindlessly and do my stuff and it payed decently.

Never worked at a call center, but that sure feels like a soul draining one.

Lilification

Mar 28, 2024
Retail, especially Walmart. Walmart forced me to work standing at a greeter position after I fell off one of their ladders working in the dairy section and ruptured a disc. Couldn't even get worker's comp because of some shit the doctor they sent me to pulled.

I quit after 3 days of that, it wasn't worth it.

Juryvicious

Oct 28, 2017
I've worked most of them before finding my groove as a scalehouse clerk/ administrator.

Working with the public will slowly erode your mental health.

Physical work, inside where it is closed off, or outside in all types of weather, sucks.

It's basically how long can you manage before quiting.

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
I think for me anything in sales would be awful. Pretty sure I'd rather do anything over that.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
It all depends on who you work for and work with - any job is tolerable if the people you work for/with are good people, and any job is hell if you work for/with assholes.

Stuntman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Call Centers and Retail are the worst because they are the most common and accesible.

Most people are proud imbeciles.

Nostremitus

Nov 15, 2017
Alabama
Even after all this I'd still rather do that than get yelled and berated by angry people on a phone all day.

Don't know something about being there for someone during their final moments seems altruistic
Having had both types of jobs, I'll take just getting yelled at any day.

Because with the dementia job you're also getting berated and yelled at in person (and punched/kicked) by people on a daily basis too.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Tech support at a call center. Not only do I have to try and figure out the problem about half the customers are fuck faces on top. Also at the time at least I had to follow a trouble shooting script, so after a while I could tell imminently what some problem was, but until the system told me I could do X I was powerless. So here I am with some assclown who knows what the problem is, I also know what the problem is, but I have to go through all the steps. My calls are all recorded so if I skip a step it is my ass, but the fuckface is fighting me on every step, telling him that we just have to quickly go though the steps doesn't work, so what would take 10 minutes is now pushing 30+ because he has to argue with me the entire way. Finally, when I am done he tells me I am shit at my job and hangs up, then my manager comes over and also tells me I am shit at my job because my metrics now suck. My manager would also be the first to nail my ass to the wall if I skipped any steps, so literally nothing I can do, but eat shit.

Moral of the story is don't be an asshole to the people you want to help you. You just make things worse for everyone. A few of my friends worked at the unicorn call centers that would let you hang up when customers were being nasty and they seemed to really enjoy the work.

Mupod

Oct 25, 2017
Cleaning jobs. Particularly anything that involves cleaning toilets.

20ish years ago I worked at a college as a cleaner and 99.99% of the time it was just a simple routine. For anything actually gross I just had this dessicant powder I dumped all over stuff and it turned it into dust you could just sweep up.

While I don't know if I could handle being on my feet 8 hours straight anymore, I would still do that job over retail anytime. Just listened to music all night and nobody bothered me, if I finished early I could fuck off and hide until the end of the shift. Was in great shape too.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
This is an odd one, but I'm going to say leather tanning. Those chemicals, man. I couldn't do it.