• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravensmash

Oct 25, 2017
I gave up on The Stand :(

I liked the writing overall, but I was reading it in drips and drabs and found myself only 200 odd pages in after a few weeks. The disjointed nature didn't help, so I've decided to shelve it for now but hopefully I'll pick it up again one day.

Reading Pyramids by Terry Pratchett at the moment, but I'm not enjoying that too much either haha.

I think you can tell that it's very much a stand-alone entry in the Discworld series - the characters don't seem as developed and I'm struggling to visualise the world/characters as much as I normally do with the novels.

But, it is beginning to grow on me a bit and I'm excited to get onto other books in the series.

I want something light and fun as a next read - any genre will do.

Donthizz

Oct 26, 2017
many years ago I gave up on Lord of The Rings because I hated the writing style. last week I tried reading it again. now i'm having a blast.

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pyramids is weird in the Discworld saga, for sure.

If you want light and fun you could try Hitchhiker, or look up various series by Patricia Wrede. She does YA fantasy and it's definitely light reading, but amusing.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
35560263.jpg

I finished Nevermoor: The Trials of Morrigan Crow by Jessica Townsend last night. I'm not a big middle-grade reader so it took me a while to get into it. I ended up liking it for the most part and will probably read the next book and some point.

25499718.jpg

This morning I finished up my audiobook of Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky. I absolutely loved it. Hard to believe that I was rooting for giant, sentient arachnids... but I was. The sequel comes out in May, and seems like it's set thousands of years in the future which is great. I loved the scope of this story(which takes place over several centuries at least), so I'm glad the sequel is doing the same.

11254578.jpg

Today I am going to start Theft of Swords by Michael J. Sullivan. I've been in the mood for a good fantasy, and I've heard this has some Gentleman Bastards vibes(at least in regards to the protagonists).

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
Today I am going to start Theft of Swords by Michael J. Sullivan. I've been in the mood for a good fantasy, and I've heard this has some Gentleman Bastards vibes(at least in regards to the protagonists).

I would recommend the Greatcoats series as well. It's not a heist style like Bastards, much more of a homage to the 3 Musketeers, but I really enjoyed the entire series.

20887238.jpg

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
I would recommend the Greatcoats series as well. It's not a heist style like Bastards, much more of a homage to the 3 Musketeers, but I really enjoyed the entire series.

20887238.jpg
It's funny you say that! Greatcoats is high on my to-be-read list, and I debated between starting it or Riyria this morning. I'll definitely be reading it in the near future -- I've heard great things about it and love the Three Musketeers.

Jag

Oct 26, 2017
It's funny you say that! Greatcoats is high on my to-be-read list, and I debated between starting it or Riyria this morning. I'll definitely be reading it in the near future -- I've heard great things about it and love the Three Musketeers.

Honestly I didn't love the writing in Riyria. It's a good enough series, but something about his style bothered me. Still a good story and good characters.

Well that's interesting.

pixeldreams

Oct 27, 2017
51jMfbkoQ6L._SX332_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Just finished this, fantastic read. Her transsexuality is obviously the crux of this book but also is a really good collection of crazy band stories and dealing with the music business.

Definitely torn on what I want to read next:

- How Music Got Free
- Bad Blood
- Five Days at Memorial
- Console Wars
- Kitchen Confidential

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
40874032.jpg

Finished "Vicious" by VE Schwab. Didn't find it all that great to be honest. The story was very by the numbers and felt too familiar to anyone who has ever read/seen a superhero story. It picks up by the end, but then it's over quickly. I also didn't find most characters interesting and feel it was targeted towards a younger audience (teens/YA). I'll probably never read the sequel.

Next will be one of these:
32758901.jpg

38362809.jpg

20518872.jpg

Any suggestions on which one to read first? I'm inclined to go with All Systems Red for a quick sci-fi fix and then move on to one of the other 2.

Dandy

Oct 25, 2017
40874032.jpg

Finished "Vicious" by VE Schwab. Didn't find it all that great to be honest. The story was very by the numbers and felt too familiar to anyone who has ever read/seen a superhero story. It picks up by the end, but then it's over quickly. I also didn't find most characters interesting and feel it was targeted towards a younger audience (teens/YA). I'll probably never read the sequel.

Next will be one of these:
32758901.jpg

38362809.jpg

20518872.jpg

Any suggestions on which one to read first? I'm inclined to go with All Systems Red for a quick sci-fi fix and then move on to one of the other 2.
I haven't read the other 2, but All Systems Red is great. The Murderbot Diaries are some of my favorite books from last year.

OP
OP
ara

ara

Oct 26, 2017
40874032.jpg

Yeah, this was a real bummer. I saw the praise and I saw the mentions of it being for mature audiences and I saw that MAGNIFICENT cover, so I expected something great. What I got was a bog standard superhero/villain story that didn't seem to introduce anything new to the formula narratively or thematically, with fairly snappy writing, some satisfying moments and an annoying edgelord-ish protagonist that I immediately knew would have a bunch of female fans gushing over him in Goodreads reviews (there were some, though not actually as many as I expected). It wasn't bad, I just really don't know where all the praise is coming from.

All Systems Red sounds very intriguing, however, and a shorter novella is exactly what I need to get back to reading. Think I'll check it out asap.

Ribbon

Oct 27, 2017
The Winternight trilogy was a treat. I'm actually bummed that it's over. Hopefully there'll be more.

I'm so glad that someone else has read this trilogy! No one I know is reading this trilogy and it's a shame. Although I did buy The Bear and the Nightingale for a friend during our annual Yule book exchange and she's promised to read it next.

I'm almost done with The Winter of the Witch myself, and I'm delighted that the series has only gotten better with each book. I love Katherine Arden's style and her perfect marriage between Russia's history, its culture, its mythology, and its folklore. Vasya herself is a fascinating main character, too.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Finished Raven Strategm by Yoon Ha Lee. Liked it a lot though it only really started to come together at the end, I still have unanswered questions though that in two books haven't been answered, not story related but technology and universe lore I feel are important that are glossed over or barely explained. I still really like the series so far though.

Going to fire up Revenent Gun next to finish the trilogy.

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
I'm so glad that someone else has read this trilogy! No one I know is reading this trilogy and it's a shame. Although I did buy The Bear and the Nightingale for a friend during our annual Yule book exchange and she's promised to read it next.

I'm almost done with The Winter of the Witch myself, and I'm delighted that the series has only gotten better with each book. I love Katherine Arden's style and her perfect marriage between Russia's history, its culture, its mythology, and its folklore. Vasya herself is a fascinating main character, too.

I feel the same! The first book started off slowly and the third opened with quite a bang, but it all came together in the end. I also liked how the Bear was written - from someone completely irredeemable to someone...slightly less so.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if anyone is interested as it's YA but The Percy Jackson Heroes of Olympus series is on kindle sale on amazon uk for 99p each. (less than £5 for the whole set).

I quite liked the first series when I read it a few years ago so snatched these up for some easy reading at work.

Ribbon

Oct 27, 2017
I feel the same! The first book started off slowly and the third opened with quite a bang, but it all came together in the end. I also liked how the Bear was written - from someone completely irredeemable to someone...slightly less so.

Yes! The Bear is a character that I've really grown fond of in terms of him becoming a more complex character that has broken some of the stereotypes of what an antagonist should and shouldn't do.

I'm on part five where
Vasya and everyone still have to deal with the threat of the Tartars and she has just released the Bear from the golden bridle — something I wasn't expecting her to do nor for him to actually agree to help her. I haven't read beyond this part though, so I'm interested to see if he actually keeps his word.

Konstantin is a fascinating character as well and I feel that he's not talked about enough.

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
Yes! The Bear is a character that I've really grown fond of in terms of him becoming a more complex character that has broken some of the stereotypes of what an antagonist should and shouldn't do.

I'm on part five where
Vasya and everyone still have to deal with the threat of the Tartars and she has just released the Bear from the golden bridle — something I wasn't expecting her to do nor for him to actually agree to help her. I haven't read beyond this part though, so I'm interested to see if he actually keeps his word.

Konstantin is a fascinating character as well and I feel that he's not talked about enough.

You're definitely at the most interesting part. I really liked the dynamic between Vasya and the two brothers. Konstantin was a constant source of annoyance :P. I also liked the little mushroom guy.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I haven't read the other 2, but All Systems Red is great. The Murderbot Diaries are some of my favorite books from last year.
Yeah, this was a real bummer. I saw the praise and I saw the mentions of it being for mature audiences and I saw that MAGNIFICENT cover, so I expected something great. What I got was a bog standard superhero/villain story that didn't seem to introduce anything new to the formula narratively or thematically, with fairly snappy writing, some satisfying moments and an annoying edgelord-ish protagonist that I immediately knew would have a bunch of female fans gushing over him in Goodreads reviews (there were some, though not actually as many as I expected). It wasn't bad, I just really don't know where all the praise is coming from.

All Systems Red sounds very intriguing, however, and a shorter novella is exactly what I need to get back to reading. Think I'll check it out asap.

Hmm...I thought the two V.E. Schwab books got a lot of praise in a previous month's thread? I borrowed them because of it, but haven't gotten to them yet. I was hoping to soon.

Is it a waste of time?

Deleted member 46493

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
I want to read more novels this year. I pretty much only read nonfiction - history and art history books mostly. The problem is that I've picked up some bad habits by reading nonfiction. Specifically, skimming. Unless the material is new to me, I find myself semi-skimming paragraphs or sentences. Not always, and it's not like I'm skipping chapters but it's very easy to not give a nonfiction book 100% of your attention and still enjoy it.

I picked up North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell, and I am liking it but since you can't skim novels (at least I can't, or I get super lost) it's more "work" to read. I put that in quotes since I am having fun with the book but it's a different reading experience. I'm also not sure I can read this during my work commute as I usually have to stop reading mid sentence.

Has anyone gone through this recently? Feels silly because I am a huge reader but it feels like a completely different skill.

Ribbon

Oct 27, 2017
You're definitely at the most interesting part. I really liked the dynamic between Vasya and the two brothers. Konstantin was a constant source of annoyance :P. I also liked the little mushroom guy.

I am so glad that it doesn't get boring from here. It can be really disappointing when novels start to drop off towards their end. Yes! The dynamic is great. Nothing is ever simple between the brothers, or either brother and Vasya. Mushroom guy was great!

Dec

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Haven't read the last book of Winternight trilogy as the library doesn't have it in yet, but read the other two last year. I liked the first much more than the second, and the horse stuff gets pretty weird, but they pretty good.

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England
I loved the Winternight trilogy as well - the third volume really brings it together, and I liked that it didn;t go down any of the obvious paths.

Anyone looking for something similar should read Spinning Silver if you haven't already.

1000 Needles

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Probably biting off more than I can chew, but I'm actively reading 4 books at once.

Continuing to read Barack Obama's Dreams From My Father. I admit it has its dry sections, but overall it's a good read so far.

Started to read Stephen Fry's Heroes, which by his own admission is basically just part 2 of Mythos, which was fantastic. His tongue in cheek way of retelling these classic stories breathes new life into them, and it's just delightful

Thirdly, I returned to Isaac Asimov's Foundation series with Foundation's Edge. I enjoyed the original trilogy immensely, so I have high hopes for seeing how they resolve further Seldon crises.

And finally, started Brandon Sanderson's Reckoners series with Steelheart. YA isn't something I typically read, but I enjoy him immensely as an author, so I expect it to still be enjoyable.

flook

Oct 28, 2017
I finished Sea of Rust which, while I found enjoyable, I would hesitate to give a blanket recommendation. Mainly due to one scene quite near the end which I felt marred the feel of the tale and was entirely unnecessary. I suspect this will be a movie before long.

I'm on to Norse Mythology by Neil Gamain - it's a brisk read and is filling up some of the gaps in my knowledge of these stories nicely. The gods are all dicks btw - I suppose it comes with godhood. Except Freya - I like Freya.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
Have been reading a couple of chapters more of Dune, and there's so many descriptions and whatnot I don't register or skip and don't understand up in my head. I can't say it isn't a struggle to read. It's still interesting though. I'm 120 pages into the Kindle edition, while I wait for my physical paperback to arrive.

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017
Finished:
21911720.jpg

Firefight by Brandon Sanderson

Loved it. Ended up liking it even more than the first book. I was a little worried near the end when I thought it was going to suddenly have a similar twist to another Sanderson book, but it rallied back and really finished strong. I think the characterization was better in this one and the plot overall felt more naturally flowing. Barely sat it down once I started.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
I finished Sea of Rust which, while I found enjoyable, I would hesitate to give a blanket recommendation. Mainly due to one scene quite near the end which I felt marred the feel of the tale and was entirely unnecessary. I suspect this will be a movie before long.

I'm on to Norse Mythology by Neil Gamain - it's a brisk read and is filling up some of the gaps in my knowledge of these stories nicely. The gods are all dicks btw - I suppose it comes with godhood. Except Freya - I like Freya.
Which scene out of curiosity?

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018

I read this book after finishing God of War :P Baldur is really different

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Have any of you read either of these? I think they're pretty new, but know that advanced copies sometimes go out. GoodReads also says that the second one is a couple of years old, except it's listed as a new release everywhere else.

51ks1zLPwbL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

y648.jpg

DarkChronic

Oct 27, 2017
Been struggling to find something I really like. I keep bouncing around things but nothing has stuck.

The Obelisk Gate, Book 2 of The Broken Earth Trilogy. Devoured book 1 but for some reason book 2 isn't sticking with me. I'm about halfway through it and haven't been motivated to touch it.

Summer of Night by Dan Simmons. Hrm. Hurts to say I'm disappointed by this. Hyperion is probably my favorite sci-fi book of all time, so I figured I'd check out some of Simmons' horror stuff. This reads like a lesser version of "It". I'm about 1/4 into it? Hoping it gets better but damn, it's pretty boring. I also picked up Carrion Comfort which I'll hopefully attack after Summer of Night.

Lastly, I have Stephen King's The Outsider sitting on my table untouched. Huge King fan - just haven't gotten to it yet.

If anyone has any thoughts on any of these three books, would love to hear them. Guess I'm just in a bit of a reading slump.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
Been struggling to find something I really like. I keep bouncing around things but nothing has stuck.

The Obelisk Gate, Book 2 of The Broken Earth Trilogy. Devoured book 1 but for some reason book 2 isn't sticking with me. I'm about halfway through it and haven't been motivated to touch it.

Summer of Night by Dan Simmons. Hrm. Hurts to say I'm disappointed by this. Hyperion is probably my favorite sci-fi book of all time, so I figured I'd check out some of Simmons' horror stuff. This reads like a lesser version of "It". I'm about 1/4 into it? Hoping it gets better but damn, it's pretty boring. I also picked up Carrion Comfort which I'll hopefully attack after Summer of Night.

Lastly, I have Stephen King's The Outsider sitting on my table untouched. Huge King fan - just haven't gotten to it yet.

If anyone has any thoughts on any of these three books, would love to hear them. Guess I'm just in a bit of a reading slump.

The Outsider was quite good

RepairmanJack

Oct 27, 2017

I felt the same way about The Broken Earth trilogy. Second and third book were definitely a down swing compared to the first book.

I would also third The Outsider being quite good.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I finished Seven Surrenders (Terra Ignota #2) by Ada Palmer, I liked it a lot, but not quite as much as the first book. The world lost a bit of wonder for me. I'm going to take a bit of a break before reading the 3rd book, I've heard it changes format drastically, but I am still worried part of this reaction is from me reading the first two books back to back.

Now I am taking on the task of reading The Wiseman's Fear (Kingkiller Chronicles #2) by Patrick Rothfuss. I wasn't a huge fan of the first book, but I've given it about a year since I read the first book and I feel like I should read the second one before I forget too much. Through 10% it feels better? It is still early, but Kvothe isn't quite as big of a shit so far, which is an improvement.

Edit: For anyone looking for a supremely interesting sci-fi book, please do check out Too Like The Lightning (Terra Ignota #1), the book blew my socks off after I got my mind around it and got over the narrator.

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England
I finished Seven Surrenders (Terra Ignota #2) by Ada Palmer, I liked it a lot, but not quite as much as the first book. The world lost a bit of wonder for me. I'm going to take a bit of a break before reading the 3rd book, I've heard it changes format drastically, but I am still worried part of this reaction is from me reading the first two books back to back.

Now I am taking on the task of reading The Wiseman's Fear (Kingkiller Chronicles #2) by Patrick Rothfuss. I wasn't a huge fan of the first book, but I've given it about a year since I read the first book and I feel like I should read the second one before I forget too much. Through 10% it feels better? It is still early, but Kvothe isn't quite as big of a shit so far, which is an improvement.

Edit: For anyone looking for a supremely interesting sci-fi book, please do check out Too Like The Lightning (Terra Ignota #1), the book blew my socks off after I got my mind around it and got over the narrator.
I liked the third book, but I'm finding it difficult to judge completely without the 4th, which we'll hopefully see later this year - so much of the thematic and political depth thrown up by the earlier books depends on whether it wraps up satisfactorily.

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan

I've been enjoying it so far but I can get where you're coming from. I think it might have to do with there being more of a narrative hook to the first book. Having 3 different perspectives in the first book, and they were all compelling made it more of a page turner. I still enjoy the story being told and the world that's being built in the 2nd book but the one perspective definitely isn't grabbing me as much. I'll finish it before Saturday though because I already have The Stone Sky ready to be picked up at the library.

Obviously all perspectives in the first book end up being the same person, and it wasn't a huge shocker/twist by the end but it was still very effective. I didn't see it coming when it was revealed that the young girl was also Syenite, but I might just be naive when it comes to reading. Nassun is an important perspective in the 2nd book but that's the storyline that isn't grabbing me as much. Seems like ti might develop to be very important in the 3rd book though.

I've also got Hellboy in Hell to get through before picking up Aya and B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth Vol 4 as far as graphic novels go for the month. Maybe start/finish either Little Fires Everywhere or The Power since those are both lying around the house now.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is this the thread to ask for book recommendations? I want to read more.

Right now I have American Gods on the backburner and the last book I finished was Mogworld in January. I have Anansi Boys and the Temeraire boxset on my Chapters wishlist but I don't know where to go from there.

Pau

Self-Appointed Godmother of Bruce Wayne's Children
Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to read more in Spanish so I picked up this book on Colombian myths and legends from the library.

b6sTMf9.jpg

It's a bit more academic than I expected. Haven't even gotten to the actual stories yet.

I've also been trying to find Latin American authors writing science fiction and fantasy in Spanish. It's hard. :(

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
Is this the thread to ask for book recommendations? I want to read more.

Right now I have American Gods on the backburner and the last book I finished was Mogworld in January. I have Anansi Boys and the Temeraire boxset on my Chapters wishlist but I don't know where to go from there.
We can give you suggestions but knowing what kind of things you like can point us in the right direction. Any favorite authors? Books or genres help. If not then have a read through the thread as people constantly post what they are reading and their thoughts, I've gained quite a few recommendations myself from here.

Based on Mogworld and American Gods might I suggest Terry Pratchetts Discworld series if you haven't read it or perhaps In the Company of Ogres by A. Lee Martinez. If you want something a little darker but still funny then I highly recommend the Rivers of London series by Ben Aaronovitch.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We can give you suggestions but knowing what kind of things you like can point us in the right direction. Any favorite authors? Books or genres help. If not then have a read through the thread as people constantly post what they are reading and their thoughts, I've gained quite a few recommendations myself from here.

Based on Mogworld and American Gods might I suggest Terry Pratchetts Discworld series if you haven't read it or perhaps In the Company of Ogres by A. Lee Martinez. If you want something a little darker but still funny then I highly recommend the Rivers of London series by Ben Aaronovitch.

My favourite books are Dresden Files and John Dies At The End. I like Urban Fantasy, alternative Fantasy (so no straight up Swords and Sorcery Medieval Europe), sci-fi, and steam/cyberpunk.

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017
My favourite books are Dresden Files and John Dies At The End. I like Urban Fantasy, alternative Fantasy (so no straight up Swords and Sorcery Medieval Europe), sci-fi, and steam/cyberpunk.
Rivers of London is essentially British Dresden Files, so that may be right up your alley. It's about a London policeman who while guarding a crime scene sees a ghost and ends up interviewing him as a witness before being singled out into a department of the police no one talks about. I think there are seven books in the series so far though I've only read the first six. They are funny and dark, written by a former Doctor Who writer. You'll especially appreciate it if you've been to London ha ha.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I finished the fourth Mortal Engines so that's me done with them. Enjoyed them overall.

Now I'm moving onto this which caught my eye in the supermarket yesterday. It's probably going to be generic as fuck.

du6KV0m.jpg

Captjohnboyd

Oct 25, 2017
Can anyone recommend some audio books from audible? I'm not usually an audio book person, in fact I'm not sure I've ever listened to one, but I have three credits from a lapsed trial. I'd like to get them in before I cancel.

I'm a big sci-fi reader but I don't even know where to start having read so many sci-fi books in the last couple of years. I've already gone through all of Alastair Reynolds, Peter Hamilton, Neal Asher, Frank Hebert and the Hyperion cantos books (as well as carrion which was fantastic). Wasn't a big fan of the expanse series (well I was but then I just felt like it was dragging on by book 4 I think). I've considered Neal Stephenson. I know he's well liked but I tried to read one of his books and it didn't connect. I can't even recall which one at this point. Perhaps I should give him a go again.

I've also done a fair amount of fantasy lately. Read all the way of kings series out so far and enjoyed them. The first mistborn trilogy was lots of fun. Really enjoyed the first law books by Abercrombie

I have been looking at several non fiction books lately (sapiens, nixonland) but I worry they're too dry for audio books.

Anyway if anyone has any good recs for fantasy/sci-fi for audible based on what I've read so far let me know. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.