OP
OP
astro

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you everyone.

Decided to get Metal Gear Solid and PS4 for now.

Killzone soon, and will check this thread again next time I need a game.

Novocaine

Oct 26, 2017
Project Diva 1/2
Velocity Ultra/2X
Spelunky
Super Stardust Delta
TxK
Soul Sacrifice Delta
Wipeout 2048/HD
Dragons Crown
Hotline Miami
Danganronpa 1/2

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
For more casual portable play:
  • Lumines: Electronic Symphony
  • The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
  • Rogue Legacy
The Vita is pretty great for roguelikes and the like. There are plenty of other small titles, but these are by far my most played.

llLeonhart

Oct 21, 2019
Persona 4 Golden
Killzone Mercenary
Muramasa Rebirth.
Soul Sacrifice
Freedom Wars
Also, there's a game I can't remember the name for the life of me so I'd have to check at home, that is a 2d game where you play as the rebellion commander on a kingdom, There's a ps4 version as well which you plays as the queen of the kingdom. It looked pretty neat, but I didn't get around to it.

AwShucks

Oct 27, 2017
So many.

Tearaway
Motorstorm RC
Persona 4 Golden
Gravity Rush
Danganronpa
Steins;Gate (and 0)
Lumines Electronic Symphony
OlliOlli
Salt & Sanctuary
Soul Sacrifice Delta

Merrill

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax
Is the vita better than the psp for retro gaming? I want something for when I want to play chrono trigger etc on the go.

psynergyadept

Shinra Employee
Oct 26, 2017
First post wins again! Other recommendations:

Muramasa Rebirth
YS IV: Memoeries of Celceta
Freedom Wars
Killzone Mercenaries
Uncharted: Golden Abyss
Freedom Wars
Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel 1 & 2

PSP:
Final Fantasy Dissidia 012
YS: 1&2/ 3/ 7

PS1:
Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky FC/SC
Breath of Fire IV
Xenogears
Parastie Eve 1& 2
Final Fantasy 7/8/9

ventuno

Nov 11, 2019
I just started playing MGS1 on my pc and I'm used to the controls, so it should be okay.

Any reason to go through the bother of transferring the HD version? It will be a bit of effort...

Not unless you Absolutely need it on your Vita...

Also seconding iceblade's Undertale rec if you haven't played it, it's a great experience!

Sid

Banned
Mar 28, 2018
Uncharted Golden Abyss, Killzone Mercenary, Gravity Rush, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3, Resistance Burning Skies (I liked it) and Soul Sacrifice

Oct 28, 2017
All of them. Even bad games are made better just by virtue of being on the Vita. It's what sets Vita apart from every other platform. You don't play Vita because it has a game. You play a game because it's on the Vita.

But to answer the question, good lord where do I begin? On the visual novel front you've got all time greats like Steins Gate and to a lesser extent Steins Gate 0, Virtues Last Reward and all 3 Danganronpa games. All must plays. Killzone Mercenary is still the top FPS on a portable. Spelunky, Binding of Isaac and Rogue Legacy all great roguelikes. Get TxK one of the top Vita games for sure. Vita has such a killer library I could go on and on.

Oct 27, 2017
Shinobido 2 is my favorite game on the Vita; definitely a must have if you're a fan of stealth games (particularly the Tenchu series). You get a grappling hook and wingsuit that allows you to traverse the maps Batman: Arkham style, a good amount of tools that you can use throughout the levels, and it has a fairly expansive alchemy system that allows you to create your own gadgets.
Muramasa: the charm of Vanillaware's art style with a great combat system.
Persona 4 Golden: best Jrpg!
Killzone Mercenary: how to make a good portable handheld, and honestly great game.
Wipeout 2048: my favourite racing series! May as well apply to pure/fusion from psp.
Tearaway: just so goddamn charming!!
That, for starters.
Edit: toukiden and god eater are guilty pleasures as well, can add Soul Sacrifice.
Persona 4 Golden, Muramasa Rebirth, Steins;Gate/Steins;Gate 0/Chaos;Child, Shiren the Wanderer, Stranger of Sword City Revisited, Demon Gaze, IA/VT Colorful, Project Diva f/F 2nd/X, Taiko no Tatsujin V, Dragon Quest Builders, Tearaway, Killzone: Mercenary, The House in Fata Morgana, LittleBigPlanet Vita, Disgaea 3+4, Soul Sacrifice Delta, Freedom Wars, Risk of Rain... and I'm sure I'm forgetting some.
Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling Together.

It's a PSP game, but fuck it. Play it on Vita anyway.
Few people ever mention Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines but it's secretly the only good JRPG on the system and actually a bit unique. Tearaway is fantastic too and Gravity Rush is something everyone at least should try although preferably on the PS4.
Do you want PSP stuff too? War of the Lions, if your vita is hacked, slap the speed fix hax and you are good to go.
Tearaway is pretty fun too.
Soul Sacrifice Delta, Freedom Wars, Killzone Mercenary, Gravity Rush, Persona 4 Golden, Muramasa Rebirth, Uncharted Golden Abyss. There's more but I don't remember now.
Good list here. There are some really solid titles mentioned.

I'd also add in:

VA-11 Hall-A: Cyberpunk Bartending Action - It's a relaxing read that has a great setting and interesting (and funny) characters). It sucks you in and keeps you interested throughout. The soundtrack is also fantastic.
Undertale (if you haven't played it) - I haven't played it yet, but have enjoyed what I've tried of it, and it's been said to be a really good game too.
Cosmic Star Heroine - I really enjoyed this. It's an RPG that is quick and to the point, but has a really fun battle system (one of the best ones I can remember) and interesting settings.
The Longest 5 Minutes - An admittedly pretty easy RPG, but it had an interesting enough story and I thought it was charming. I also liked waht it did with its premise (the game takes place in 5 ingame minutes).
Child of Light - This also has a fun battle system, and the story is told in rhyme which sounds weird at first but is actually decently well done. It also looks really pretty and before the Switch version came out the only way to get it physically was on Vita.

Those are all shorter games, but definitely fun and worth a playthrough.

Oh, one more, longer, recommendation. I haven't played it and it is a divisive recommendation (so perhaps not essential) but if you do wind up liking Persona 4 Golden, be aware you can also play Persona 3 Portable on the Vita. That'd be a way to scratch the Persona itch if you don't have a PS3 available. If you do opt to continue with the series though, Persona 5 is of course available on PS4, and will be $10 for the Black Friday sales.
Muramasa Rebirth Complete (the DLCs are awesome)
TxK
Persona 4 Golden
Shinobido 2: Revenge of Zen

One of the best stealth games ever.
Spelunky
Sound Shapes
LittleBigPlanet (easily my favorite game in the series)
P4G
Tearaway
Hotline Miami
Project Diva 1/2
Velocity Ultra/2X
Spelunky
Super Stardust Delta
TxK
Soul Sacrifice Delta
Wipeout 2048/HD
Dragons Crown
Hotline Miami
Danganronpa 1/2
So many.

Tearaway
Motorstorm RC
Persona 4 Golden
Gravity Rush
Danganronpa
Steins;Gate (and 0)
Lumines Electronic Symphony
OlliOlli
Salt & Sanctuary
Soul Sacrifice Delta
First post wins again! Other recommendations:

Muramasa Rebirth
YS IV: Memoeries of Celceta
Freedom Wars
Killzone Mercenaries
Freedom Wars
Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel 1 & 2

PSP:
Final Fantasy Dissidia 012
YS: 1&2/ 3/ 7

PS1:
Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky FC/SC
Breath of Fire IV
Xenogears
Parastie Eve 1& 2
Final Fantasy 7/8/9
It's a PSP game, but Jeanne D'arc is one of my favorite strategy titles.
All of this.

Fright Zone

Dec 17, 2017
London
Stardew Valley, Binding of Isaac, Rogue Legacy, and Hotline Miami are all perfect to play on Vita.
I put countless hours into all of them.

skLaFarebear

Oct 25, 2017
Utawarerumono Trilogy is a must own, Trails of Cold Steel 1&2 and Muv Luv Extra/Unlimited and Alternative as well.

tommyv2

Nov 6, 2017
Danganronpa Trilogy
Zero Escape Trilogy
Stein's Gate 0

Those alone are smashing experiences.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not Vita specifically, but Killzone Liberation on PSP is excellent. I think you can play it on the Vita, I'm not sure.

Jakke_Koala

Sep 28, 2018
P4G
Tearaway (better version than PS4)
Danganronpa
Dragon's crown
Guacamelee
Uncharted
Assasin's Creed Liberty
Gravity Rush
Jak & Daxter
Hotline Miami
OlliOlli2

Those are my favorite games on the Vita
The guacamelee team also made Severed, but haven't played it, because my Vita died

Issen

Nov 12, 2017
Shinobido 2 is my favorite game on the Vita; definitely a must have if you're a fan of stealth games (particularly the Tenchu series). You get a grappling hook and wingsuit that allows you to traverse the maps Batman: Arkham style, a good amount of tools that you can use throughout the levels, and it has a fairly expansive alchemy system that allows you to create your own gadgets.
I like you. Let's be friends.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
Killzone Mercenaries. It's the best FPS handheld game can find. It's more structured around the portability, it's got great visuals for what it does, the games really got a fun fleshed out MP mode with bots.

Tearaway. Most charming game I've played that puts a smile on my face throughout the whole duration. Makes unique use of the Vita features for gameplay/platforming purposes.

Soul Sacrifice Delta. Very fun gameplay, incredible lore, great bosses. I've played through a lot of monster type games and this was my favourite one.

LBP vita is often overlooked but it's a great game that's just as good as the console versions but it's shorter in length.

vhm74

Oct 30, 2017
Soul Sacrifice Delta
Persona 4
Muramasa Rebirth Complete
Wipeout 2048
Everybody's Golf
Danganronpa Trilogy
Ys Origins
Tales of Hearts R
Freedom Wars
Uncharted Golden Abyss
Killzone Mercenary

Suikoden 1+2
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Tactics Ogre
Persona 3 Portable

La-Mulana
Spelunky
Rogue Legacy

OP
OP
astro

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Question for all of you:

Which screen mode do you use when playing ps one classics on vita?

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
I say this as a huge fan of portable gaming and a long time owner of the Vita. The Vita's biggest problem is that it has no must have games. Every single game I usually recommend for the thing is available elsewhere or more usually a PS1/PSP classic.

OP
OP
astro

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I say this as a huge fan of portable gaming and a long time owner of the Vita. The Vita's biggest problem is that it has no must have games. Every single game I usually recommend for the thing is available elsewhere or more usually a PS1/PSP classic.
I can see that from the lists here, pretty much. Saying that though, the biggest draw for me is not exclusivity, but portability. Just played the opening 2 hours of MGS at my girlfriend's house while she took a nap.

Also indie titles... when I had a Switch I spent most of my time playing those. The vita is such a great retro/indie machine.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus
Sonic All-Star Racing
Shinobido 2
Soul Sacrifice

Just some recent titles that come to mind. It is a great system.

OP
OP
astro

astro

Oct 25, 2017
MGS plays so well on this system, not sure why people were saying it controls badly

Disabled back pad and moved l2 and r2 to the right hand side of the screen (l2 top, r2 bottom) and it plays great.

The one thing it took me time wrapping my head around coming back to this game was no crouch stealth.

Deadceptor

Oct 26, 2017
Let me add some games that haven't been mentioned a lot.

Perfect quick fix games:

Downwell
Hotline Miami
Luftrausers
SteamWorld Heist

Great meaty games:

BlazBlue Chronophantasma Extend
Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth
Dragon Quest Builders
Lost Dimension
Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines
Shinobido 2
SD Gundam G Generation Genesis
Stardew Valley
Super Robot Wars V
Trails of Cold Steel 1-2

Play these only if you have 3.60 Henkaku Enso CFW with LOLIcon/PSVshell and Vitagrafix plugins + other misc tweaks:

Borderlands 2
God of War Collection
Killzone Mercenary
Trails in the Sky 1-3 + Zero Evolution (with English patches)
Minecraft
Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus 1+2
Taiko No Tatsujin V (with English patch)
NFS Most Wanted

Generally I'd advise everyone to crack their Vitas and install 3.60 Henkaku Enso in order to use Micro SD cards and enjoy stable 30/60fps with bunch of games running native res.

Baron Von Beans

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
While I can't fully support this as a must have, it's damn close. I bought this at Vita launch, and it's one incredibly huge package, with lots of gameplay to be had. Tenchu essentially in handheld form, without the level editor, but there is a metric ton of things to do in the game. Duck it, yea, it's an essential game all right.

oldmess

Oct 18, 2018
Haven't played mine in a while, but my final lineup was something like:

• P4G (best game on the system)
  • Binding of Isaac: Rebirth (my most played game)
  • Rayman Origins
  • Danganronpa 1
  • Final Fantasy X HD
  • Rogue Legacy
  • Spelunky
  • Shiren The Wanderer
  • Hotline Miami
  • Shovel Knight
  • P4 DAN