Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
We're not quite done with summer yet and we're still trying to beat the heat. But as they say, winter is coming.

Personally, I love ice levels in video games. Maybe it's because I grew up in southern California so they always had an "exotic" feeling to me, but whenever a game with a lot of different areas doesn't include one, I'm always left feeling a little disappointed. I think something they also do well is there are essentially two types of ice levels: you have the "pleasant winter wonderland" setting and the "harsh bleak tundra" setting that allow you to draw on many different feelings for the player.

Some of my favorites would have to be...

Shiver_Region.png

Chapter 7 from Paper Mario. Once you finally reach the end of the Toad Town Tunnels, you're greeted with a frozen over pipe room before you enter Shiver City. From there, you have penguin murder mysteries, stars in the snow, imposters, mountains, and a palace made out of crystal. This chapter touches on basically everything I love about ice levels in video games and is by far my favorite chapter in the game.

s3-icz-appearanceimg1.png

Yeah, Ice Cap Zone had to be here. The snowboarding, the music, what more needs to be said about it?

M3puYOy.jpg

One of the biggest complaints with DKCR was the lack of ice levels (despite some concept art for it), so Tropical Freeze certainly more than made up for that. Revisiting the setting of the original game, baked in snow and ice, was a sight to behold.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All of Skyrim is probably my favorite example. Other great ice areas include Snowpoint City and the whole route to it in Pokemon Diamond/Pearl, Hebra in Breath of the WIld, and Skellige in The Witcher 3.

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
Octopath_Traveler_Stillsnow-640x360.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Frostlands in Octopath Traveler was my favorite area of the game, there's just something magical about that place, and the music is beautiful too.

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hoth - Star Wars: Battlefront II (2005)
battlefront88-jpg.8900

Colorado Mountains - Syphon Filter 2
maxresdefault.jpg

Blizzard - SOCOM series
maxresdefault.jpg

Tall Trees - Red Dead Redemption 1
maxresdefault.jpg

Rob2K19

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Mulan's world in Kingdom Hearts 2
Frozen's world in KH3.
Snow area in Golden Sun.
Frozen Wilds in Horizon Zero Dawn.

I just love snow areas in general.

Armite

Mar 30, 2018
Since you already mentioned Ice Cap, here's Sonic Mania's Press Garden Act 2:

maxresdefault.jpg

Billy Hatcher's Chilly Castle was lovely in All Stars Racing Transformed:

S%26ASRT_ChillyCastle.png

Christmas NiGHTS always deserves a mention:

LkplrXW.jpg

And of course, Okami always looks good, so combining it with snow was bound to work well:

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Crypt of the Necrodancer's Zone 3, which is also a fire zone. The music changes depending on which part you're in.

Oct 28, 2017
Mine will probably always be snowy mountain from Jak and daxter. It came out right beforehand Christmas in 2001 and it was such a joy to look at shenanigans play.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
I love the Enigmansion from Paper Mario Sticker Star. Great atmosphere, great puzzles, great little subplot running through it.

Snowpeak Ruins from Twilight Princess is another good shout. Very atypical for a Zelda dungeon and I love how they adapted all the usual dungeon mainstays.

Virtua King

Dec 29, 2017
Ice Cap Zone (Sonic 3 & Knuckles and Adventure)
Press Garden Act 2 (Sonic Mania)
Planet Freon (Ristar)
Area F (Mega Man ZX)
Frozen Bell (NiGHTS into Dreams)
Phendrana Drifts (Metroid Prime)

I can count on one hand how many times I've seen snow in real life, but I sure love snow levels.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
Octopath_Traveler_Stillsnow-640x360.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Frostlands in Octopath Traveler was my favorite area of the game, there's just something magical about that place, and the music is beautiful too.

I think my fondness of that area is almost entirely thanks to the music. It's quite atmospheric. The bright sparkling snow held nicely with the sprites though.

Xenoblade on a whole has grand environs.
Mount Valek is cool in the same way of seeing that distant mountain and realizing you can climb it but also for its extreme night and day changes. It's not as cool as the swamp or the Eryth sea but it's still a sight.

xenoblade_valak_6.png

PoshTintedIncatern-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The music matches the visuals perfectly.

*edit - Whoops, I missed that it was already posted so I will add in Strider.
strider-07.png

lush

Oct 26, 2017
Knoxville, TN
Mafia 2

Wmvxkepr.jpg

Oh, the weather outside is frightful
But the fire is so delightful...

Goldeneye 007 - Surface

Zx0mOIGr.jpg

Hitman 1/2 - Hokkaido

M6HyBPJ.jpg

Bully

ZXQHoirr.jpg

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
urge to play rising. too bad i lent a friend of mine my wii u

I replayed it on CEMU recently and it runs pretty much perfectly now, if you have a good enough pc you could maybe give it a shot!

Thats snow? I thought it was some alien ash like thing :^P

Yeah I mean we don't really know what it is, it's a weird mix of different alien landscapes, and I think monolithsoft said it was supposed to be something that had no equivalent on earth or something along those lines, but I consider it a snowy alien area, and alot of people think the same xD

Last edited:

Deleted member 1190

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The entirety of Northrend in WoW. I know that's cheating a bit, as its a collection of multiple areas, but it's all just so damn good.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Does Lake Bresha count from FF13? Crystallised lake, rather than ice, but similar look. The game is ehhh, but the texture work in this location blew me away given the hardware limitations. All the frozen water spray at the tips of these waves. I kept wondering what % of players even stopped to notice this attention to detail =P

1459209619212.jpg

I also really enjoyed Never Alone, mostly for being a great example of how video games can be important culturally. But it's a great snow setting given that cultural value:

header_LgHY6P3-460x215.jpg