• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I only do it when I'm not sure I'll get a copy on release day if I don't and if I know enjoy the fuck out of it.
Only Zelda BotW and Smash Bros will do that.

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
I will preorder games if I'm really hyped for them, but that's usually only a couple of games a year at most. This year has been really good tho. Currently got Wario Ware Gold preordered and the end of the year looks amazing.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
I pre-order everything if there are exclusive bonuses. It's whatever, I like cosmetics and other goodies, feel bad when I miss out on them.

Since I'm all digital though I can usually wait 'til the last minute of the last day, which helps to steer clear of some disasters.

Sushigod7

Oct 26, 2017
The craziest theory I have seen why you shouldn't preorder was the whole your giving X retailer an interest free loan. Most retailers don't require deposits for pre-orders and if they do like GS in store its a minimal amount.

Zhukov

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
I generally think it's a bad idea. Rewards shitty practices on the part of publishers.

That said, I do it myself from time to time. If there's a game I intend to play come-hell-or-high-water and they're offering some extra tidbit that I want as a pre-order bonus then I'll do it. Happens maybe once or twice a year.

melodiousmowl

Jan 14, 2018
CT
I think at one early point it might have been a useful thing for publishers when you have to mfg cartridges (to help guage how many to make). Now I am not so sure.

HBK

Oct 30, 2017
Do what you want with your money
Best first post ever.

My own take is that pre-ordering is A-OK for know pedigrees. Of course bad surprises can and WILL happen.

But for example if you're into Forza games, then there's really little reason not to pre-order either Motorsport or Hoirzon bi-yearly iterations (depending on which you prefer, or both). T10 and PG usually deliver and as long as you enjoy those games and want to play them when they come out, don't bother with some unwarranted "principle".

Of course, when in doubt, then by all means, refrain yourself.

Mr.Knows

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I've pre-ordered something like 6-8 games in my gaming life. Off top head that i recall are:

GTAV (360) - Worth it for midnight launch experience alone.

No Man's Sky - Bought into the hype, major regret.

Persona 5 - Preordered to get 20% off on Amazon. Game was underwhelming for me and remains unfinished, wasn't worth it.

Horizon zero Dawn - Took a gamble here, pretty sure I also pre-ordered this for the 20% discount and some in-game bonus junk. Game ended up fire, worth it

God of War PS4 - Can't recall why I preordered, wasn't much of a gow fan but was hype for this. It was worth it.

South Park Fracture But Whole - pre-ordered for the Stick of Truth bonus on ps4, which to me is better than TFBW. I guess was worth it.

I think that's pretty much it. My verdict is no preorder before reviews unless it has a preorder discount (and you have no huge backlog), or physical/digital perks that interest you.

Last edited:

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
I tend to preorder if I'm getting a collector's edition or if the """day one edition""" is fancy. I've also been suckered by preorder bonuses before.
For a "regular edition" I don't see the point.

I have been trying to tone it down a bit, especially with the CEs, but I'm not sure if I've succeeded.

TheRulingRing

Banned
Apr 6, 2018
I've only been burned once by a preorder (and even then it wasn't entirely the game's fault), so I'll continue doing it until I'm properly burned I guess.

I don't preorder unless I really know what I'm committing to, so I don't currently have any preorders since the games I'm interested in are too far out.

May 4, 2018
I have a Wall of Shame category on my Steam account, filled with all the games that I know I should play but haven't yet. Every time I get some silly notion in my head about having to play some hyped game *right now*, I go look at my Wall of Shame to remind myself that no, I really can afford to wait a few days.

Wozman23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pico Rivera, CA
There is rarely any incentive to preorder a game early.

I'll typically preorder a physical game a day or two before it comes out if it will get me any additional content. Plus, with physical I always have the easy option of canceling to get my money back. But putting money down long before the game comes out theoretically cost you more if you are making any interest off your money. It's a negligible amount, but still, the company you are giving it to is trying to do the same thing, and turn your money into more money.

With digital, especially from Sony, I don't think there's ever been a reason to preorder well in advance either. The same theory holds true for the financial side of things, plus there isn't the freedom of a cancellation policy should you not want the game for any reason. In the cases where the have a preorder discount, I'll just wait until right before release to make sure I can't get a deal elsewhere.

It boggles my mind when I see huge, unproven AAA games - especially new IPs - asking for $60 on PSN months prior to their release, at point when they're not much more than a trailer. I really hope no one is crazy enough to be blindly preordering that stuff.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've never understood what was so bad about it. Sometimes I'll preorder something a week or 2 before it comes out on PSN so I can get some in-game extras or a PS4 theme or whatever. I was absolutely going to buy it anyways.

For example, if I had the money I'd have no problem with preordering something like Spiderman or RDR2 right now. I've seen enough and read enough on them, I feel like I'm going to like them.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I honestly don't see the point. Games pretty much never sell out here so I rather just walk into the store on the day and pay in full then.

"dlc" is worthless to me

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Only if I can get it at a notable discount.

Although, given my growing backlog and the fact that games are becoming better due to post launch patches, I might actually stop preordering altogether.

Shad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I preorder only if I'm fairly certain I'm gonna get it, and I do it through Gamer's Club because I love that discount (gonna miss it when it's gone). I've been trying to steer clear of collector's editions lately, though. They used to be a major reason I would preorder, but I've been not so happy with some of the results lately - looking at you, Ni no Kuni 2 massive-box-of-things-I-really-should-just-donate-to-somewhere.

E3 did a number on my preorder list. Because it's so long and awful, I'll just spoiler tag it:

-Spiderman stupid big box edition
-Anthem legion of dawn edition for both PS4 and XB1 until friends all decide which version we may play so I can cancel one of those
- Mega Man 11 amiibo edition and regular PS4 edition
Mega Man X collection for Switch and PS4
- KH3 deluxe for PS4
- RE2 remake special edition for PS4
- Starlink Arwing edition
- Assassin's Creed Odyssey gold edition for PS4
- Octopath Traveler Wayfarers Edition
- Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu and Eevee both with pokeball pluses
- Soul Calibur VI deluxe for PS4
- Smash Bros Ultimate plus the rerelease of the GameCube controller and adapter
- Shenmue 1&2 for PS4
- ZOE 2nd Runner for PS4
- Off the Hook amiibo
- Octoling amiibo
- Shovel Knight treasure trove amiibo

And most of those won't even get played for the longest time, so wasting money here I come!

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
I only pre-order certain JRPGs or niche Japanese games because I have a history with stores in my area not even getting a copy or getting only a couple of copies of the games. So I pre-order those to make sure I actually get them.

I'll also sometimes pre-order if the game has a pre-order bonus I really like, but in general I don't pre-order.

Gazdavis11

Oct 29, 2017
I get why some people Pre-order. For me I just don't, no point whatsoever.

It's very rare these days a game I want comes out and isn't available to purchase somewhere on Day 1. There used to midnight releases I went to, COD for example but I know I can pick anything I want up from a shop on the day.

Secondly my backlog is that big I'm in a position where I generally won't pick up a game until it's significantly reduced. I'll never be in a position that I won't have a decent game to play.

Sain

Nov 13, 2017
I will pre-order if I absolutely know that I want the game on Day 1, which is rare these days. Most often, the games that I would even consider pre-ordering are sequels/expansions to long-running series (WoW, Gears) or new IP from studios that I absolutely adore (i.e. CDPR). Almost everything else I'd rather just wait on. I have a backlog, albeit small, so there isn't much need for me to get a game until I'm truly ready to play it.

Deleted member 9714

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I pre-order most games I plan on buying at launch because it's easier to just walk into the store and pick it up or have it delivered by mail the day of. I can always cancel a preorder if I change my mind and sometimes by preordering you're able to snag a lower price.

Games I have preordered:
Bayonetta 3
Blade Strangers
Dark Souls Remastered
Disgaea 1 Complete
Fire Emblem: Three Houses
Jump Force (prob gonna cancel depending on how the roster looks)
Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk (prob gonna cancel, not really feeling it)
Metroid Prime 4
Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate
My Hero: One's Justice (might cancel and pick up later when it's $40 or so instead of $47)
Naruto to Boruto: Shinobi Striker (preordered when game was mistakenly $40 instead of $60)
Octopath Traveler
Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu!
Starlink: Battle for Atlas
Super Mario Party
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
The World Ends with You: Final Remix
Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Torna, the Golden Country
Yoshi

Bosh

Oct 26, 2017
Buy a lot of games every year and pre order almost every single one. If I am going to play it I don't mind paying for it.

I do hold off on some games for discounts but I always Finnish a game I pay full price and discount games either never get opened or have a higher rate of not finishing.

I guess you could say I know what games I will like, most don't turn out as turds so I am excited to play them day 1

Alark

Mar 16, 2018
If I know that I'm going to play the game, I'll pre-order it (especially if it's from a franchise that I like).

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I tend to pre-order Atlus games as they become far more expensive very quickly due to miniscule EU print runs. Strange Journey Redux only came out 5 weeks ago and the price is already up 20%, it'll have doubled by the end of the year.

Otherwise I tend to wait and see if I've actually got time to play it, as if not it's better off sitting on my wish list and waiting to see if the price drops or if I still want it a few months later. Often the enthusiasm has passed by then. If I'm still looking forward to it a few days before, and have time to play it straight away, then I'll pre-order it.

Deleted member 29249

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
If it's something I'm sure I'm going to like Red dead or destiny forsaken I'm going to preorder. Helps me keep track of what I'm spending and kinda takes the edge off impulse buys. Anything else I'll wait and see how it is after it hits. Got burnt on sea of thieves so really cut back on buying stuff now.

Cokie Bear

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do what you want but I see it as a bad practice. What incentive to devs have to release a functioning game that accurately reflects the marketing if people are just going to pay for it in advance anyway?

It used to benefit consumers when games weren't as popular and there was a real chance of something selling out, but now it just benefits the publishers.

Oct 27, 2017
Now that I switched to digital, unless I reeeeaaaally want to play a game, I don't preorder anything, and wait when it hits $20 or something.

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
For digital pre-orders, I'll wait as long as reasonably possible. However, if I get paid on a Friday and a game comes out the following Friday, I have no issue with dropping the money early. It's all coming out of the same check anyway.

The rare exception for digital orders comes from Microsoft rewards. Xbox cash that I get through there has an expiration date, so I'll generally use that on pre-orders before it expires.

Otherwise, I use Best Buy/Amazon for physical pre-orders because there's no money down and I can cancel at any time. I really don't pre-order physical copies of games unless there's some kind of discount/bonus attached. Smash Ultimate is the only physical game I have ordered right now because of GCU and the $10 reward cert.

Durante

Dark Souls Man
Oct 24, 2017
I only do it in 2 cases:
  • On Steam, since it's risk-free
  • On other sites if it is a game I really want and I believe that the price will be significantly higher at release
    (This happens sometimes with e.g. GMG or cdkeys preorder deals)
Other than that I don't see much point, given the immediacy of digital distribution.

Raw64life

Oct 25, 2017
I try to only do it for games I really like, especially if they're full price.The only games I have pre-ordered right now are Dragon Quest XI and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, two series I am a lifelong fan of.

The only other game I pre-ordered this year was Street Fighter 30th Anniversary because it was only $32 with Amazon Prime.

I'll probably get at least 5 other games this year but most will probably be bought on Black Friday.

Last edited:

Father Kratos

Oct 30, 2017
Just few weeks back I canceled my pre-orders for Spider-Man and Yakuza Kiwami 2.Have a backlog of about 30 games on PS4 and 3-4 switch games I want to play...so for a change, stopped myself from buying things that I dont need that urgently.

Coming to pre-orders though, I do that only with games I want special/collector's edition....did this last with GoW and SOTC. Will be doing this with Death Stranding and TLOU2...as i think story would be a very big part of the experience and it would be very difficult to avoid story spoilers.

impact

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
Preloading is nice, especially when you work 2nd shift. Come home and your new game is downloaded, installed and ready to play.

Can only do that with a preorder.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I preorder if it's a game I really want. Always on PSN/Nintendo eshop.

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I don't pre-order a ton. I do it for discounts, bonuses, and the very rare occasion that I want what might end up being a tough to find collector's edition. I find it generally easy to tell ahead of time whether I'd like the game or not. Only made a poor pre-order choice once in my entire life (The Order).

LonestarZues

Oct 27, 2017
I do it all the time. Namely for the free themes and sometimes avatars that they give you. With that said I typically don't pre-order until the game is about a week before release. Unless they're having some promos like the spend 100 get 15 back deals.

kdillman

May 12, 2018
Preorders generally go to things I want to play as soon as possible, or that might be harder to acquire normally. Collector's Editions aren't terribly common for me, but I'll grab 'em if they are particularly nice and I love the series (like the After Hours Edition of Yakuza 6)

Otherwise: I'll grab a physical copy from a store.

SweetSark

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Most of them time I wait for the game to come out, see some general opinions for the game, then I buy it or not.

However when I pre-order a game, I am just TOO hype to care if a game is wonderful or crap because I have a general idea what to expect or only the presentation was enough for me (for example the new Doom) or I want to support the developers (for example VA-11 HALL-A when I bought it in ith.io).

Luchashaq

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Pre-ordering is always a bad idea and only encourages the worst behavior in publishers.

Maybe if this was pre-internet and you only had one game store within driving distance and it was a niche release.

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
I preorder when it's something I've been looking forward to for a while and if It's from a reliable dev or if it's a cheap release at it is.
A few examples Yakuza Kiwami 2 (out in the east so I know it should run well). Shenmue 1+2 (a cheap release)

OP
OP
MetalBoi

MetalBoi

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Pre-ordering is always a bad idea and only encourages the worst behavior in publishers.

Maybe if this was pre-internet and you only had one game store within driving distance and it was a niche release.
What about 20% savings, special editions and niche games with limited prints?

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
It's free, it means I don't have to think about buying it when the time comes, if the price goes up, I get the lowest, and it get it day one.

I think it has no downside whatsoever.

Dec 6, 2017
What about 20% savings, special editions and niche games with limited prints?
That gets in the way of his narrative.

I'll preorder any game that I know I'll sink a lot of time into or really loved previous iterations. So for me, anything Destiny, Zelda, Tomb Raider or Mario is 100% blind preorder. Everything else is a case by case basis.