Deleted member 47076

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 25, 2018
I think you've listed the majority of the benefits. As someone who is looking to investing into a PC maybe a year from now, I'm not sure is a series s/PC is the play or a series X/PC. My biggest issue is storage I guess, if the series s had like 750gb it would be a no-brainer

Main reason why is because I have a sibling that prefers PC over consoles, personally I don't care too much

Keep in mind the Series S is supposed to have game file sizes that are 30% smaller on average, so the SSD is potentially more around 665GB relative to the Series X (if my math's correct on that one).

Oct 25, 2017
A Series S is slightly more expensive than a NVIDIA Shield, and offers a much better and more wide range of gaming options for the living room in my case.

Splader

Feb 12, 2018
I'd say wait untilt he Series S drops even lower, possibly hitting that 199 USD sweet spot in a couple years.

At that price, the companion console is worth it. Otherwise? You have a beefy PC, unless you really don't like playing on PC (like myself), there's little need to get a launch price console.

Aeroucn

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes in console you get more AAA games on Game Pass because they are not available at the microsoft store but that's it

Mukrab

Banned
Apr 19, 2020
gamepass ultimate and cross saves. Im not intending to buy a console but if i did it'd probably be the series x so i could keep playing the games where i left off on pc.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
My pc is at my desk, not at my couch/bed. Splitscreen multiplayer with my SO. Enough benefits for me.

Dega

Oct 25, 2017
For me personally my PC is getting old and I don't really feel like spending $1k (2k?) + upgrading everything atm. I use gamepass a TON and I usually buy consoles anyways so it seems like a good purchase for now.

Kromis

Oct 29, 2017
SoCal
MICROSOFT REWARDS on console! That combined with the quests from the Game Pass app, you can accrue tons of points to redeem shit with (like gift cards).

dgrdsv

Oct 25, 2017
Xbox b/c is the only reason really. You can't play Gears2/3 or RDR1 on any other modern platform.

Suedemaker

Linked the Fire
Jun 4, 2019
It's not just that HDR is generally handled better and easier to take advantage of on consoles, the Series X supports Dolby Vision and Dolby Atmos.

dep9000

Banned
Mar 31, 2020
I have a gaming pc but I'm getting an xsx mostly because my pc is now several years old and the xsx will act as a stop gap until i upgrade my pc next year or later.

ThatNerdGUI

Prophet of Truth
Mar 19, 2020
With Gamepass Ultimate and Play Anywhere I don't have to buy some games twice so me and my kid can enjoy games simultaneously. Also get the best version of games that don't come out on PC for a long period of time similar to RDR2 for example. Oh and backwards compatibility.

dmix90

Oct 25, 2017
Positives
- Walled Garden -> one store, one login, one friendlist, one library
- TV friendly... everything in UI can be managed using one input device -> gamepad, without any scripts and other mumbo jumbo on PC that will fall apart as soon as any usage edge case arrives
- Cheap and tidy device that should play everything for years without thinking about any upgrades and it's hardware will most likely be used to it's full potential
- Seemingly good BC and improvements to existing library
- Decent UHD Blu-Ray player

Negatives
- Walled Garden
- Ray Tracing probably gonna suck compared to powerful PC

Bede-x

Oct 25, 2017
I like the synergy between the platforms (especially with the play anywhere titles) and often switch between them from game to game, depending on where I feel a game is the better fit. The controller support is also far superior on console, compared to the Xbox App that has limited joypad integration and an interface that isn't really fit for the living room.

There can also be differences in which titles come to which platform on Game Pass + Xbox has hundreds of backwards compatible games (Lost Odyssey, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Ninja Gaiden Black etc.), some of which are not available on any other platform. Just like it can make sense to buy a SNES Classic or similar to have access to a small selection of games, Xbox gives you access to a selection of games from four generations of the platform (if we include the upcoming) going back to 2001.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2020
I strictly play pc games via monitor. Xbox via oled tv. I think they compliment eachother well. On top of this if you have a significant other it makes life alot easier for playing together.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Looking at the future of XGS, if you like RPGs and don't mind using a controller, having an XSX would be handy if you ever wanna play those games on the TV as for first party games your saves will more than likely transfer over (the game needs to be a Play Anywhere title, but almost every first party game is)

firstseeker

Dec 4, 2019
For me personally my PC is getting old and I don't really feel like spending $1k (2k?) + upgrading everything atm. I use gamepass a TON and I usually buy consoles anyways so it seems like a good purchase for now.

PC Upgrade costs and couch gaming are the main reasons Xbox is still an attractive option for some PC gamers. If history is anything to go by, the XsX should age much better than gaming PC's, but that may change with DLSS 2.0/3.0.

For me personally, I have no problem spending $2k every 2-3 years for PC gaming and yet I'm contemplating getting an XboX in a couple years for the living room

Oct 25, 2017
For folks here and the kind of pcs they have? Probably not much but you gotta remember a lot of folks irl just aren't playing on a top of the range pc at all times, nor will be any time soon. So the biggest reason to grab an xbox if you care is $$$, it's a great deal for what's in it.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
I sit in front of my work PC for HOURS. So at end of day I just want comfy couch. I could probably get some type of home theater pc but nah. Yet another stupid PC to maintain. No thanks.

So it's good for comfy coach, conveniece, playing with people who own Xbox, local co-op and if you have kids.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I think price is the obvious answer for most people.

I game on both PC and consoles and my gaming PC is perfectly competent on my 1080p monitor in my office. But the CPU is getting a little old in the tooth now and I'm still running an old HDD in it. If I wanted to upgrade it to anything approaching the Series X/PS5 and future-proof it for the upcoming gen to use at 4K/60 I'd be looking at new CPU, new motherboard, new SSD etc before even getting to GPU prices. Most people are in this boat. Most people, outside of enthusiasts, aren't gaming on Series X level rigs at the moment. I've been able to buy a Series X and a PS5 for what I would spend upgrading my PC at the moment. So my PC will stay perfectly happily playing games at 1080p in another room at a desk while my consoles are on my big 4K TV.

The Series S is silly cheap for what you get in terms of a next gen console even as a luxury, TV box addition to your house. It only costs ÂŁ70 more than buying an Apple TV. It's ridiculous.

Jul 26, 2018
I just wish I could get a similar PC for the price of an X. The mods plus way cheaper games are hard to beat. And I'm saying this even though I got a pre-order for an XSX without thinking it twice but maybe I'll just cancel it. A dedicated 4k PC on the living room would be my ultimate gaming experience.

GameSeeker

Oct 27, 2017
I own a Xbox One X and a gaming PC. With Gaming Pass on the PC, I don't see any reason to own a XSX or XSS. I would be wasting my money. as my gaming PC completely outperforms the Xbox consoles and delivers the better gaming experience. Plus investing in a gaming PC gives me access to a ton of other PC games via Steam, GOG or EGS.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
I don't see a good reason to buy an Xbox if you own a PC that's capable of gaming
Comfy couch gaming of course. My PC is hooked up to a high refresh rate monitor. Capable of gaming....so any PC? lol the XSX is gonna be kicking better performance than the 1060, aka the most popular steam gpu. I get it if you have a super high end PC, but XSX seems to be a better deal to average person.
but this is why MS gives you the option

sjackso3

Oct 30, 2017
Houston
I personally can't relax at the same place I work 10 hours a day. That's the main benefit for me. Also, my rig is "okay," 1070/i7, but it's rapidly getting long in the tooth. Trying to keep up these days in the PC space is damn expensive. At this point I will just get a series X to tide me over for the triple As until I commit to a new build.

toastybanana

Oct 27, 2017
MICROSOFT REWARDS on console! That combined with the quests from the Game Pass app, you can accrue tons of points to redeem shit with (like gift cards).
Yep, this is why I kept my launch Xbox One. Not sure how long the rewards program will keep going on the older machines. Maybe I'll get the Series S later on. Unless they make a PC app..?

Altair

Jan 11, 2018
The only benefit for me is that a lot of my friends still play on Xbox. I have quite a bit on PC as well, but the ones that play on Xbox don't have any interest in PC. So I may pick up a Series S down the line just so I can play with them.

TacoSupreme

Jul 26, 2019
Eventually I'll sell my Xbox One X and get a Series X purely for backwards compatibility of old 360 games that never got a PC port. Gears 2 and 3, Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, Red Dead Redemption, and many others are a very good reason for me personally to own a Series X.

All of that being said, it'll have to drop in price a LOT before I touch it.

sjackso3

Oct 30, 2017
Houston
Keep in mind the Series S is supposed to have game file sizes that are 30% smaller on average, so the SSD is potentially more around 665GB relative to the Series X (if my math's correct on that one).

I am also concerned about the SSD size of the Series S and wish that MS would offer more of a variety of size expansion cards at launch. I look at the Seagate proprietary SSD more like a traditional memory card. A $50 256GB and a $100 512GB would have been nice to have for people trying to save money and still be able to get the ability to hold another 3 to 6 next gen games. That would be a great option until the price of memory comes down and you can snag a 2TB for maybe $150.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
You're paying less money for the hardware and it's more comfy couch friendly.

Outside of that, nothing comes to mind. Games are cheaper on PC, and the free games Epic has given out blows away what Live Gold "gives".
You're also getting access to way more games on PC. We'll probably be seeing a lot more Sony stuff in the future, which Xbox will never get.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
I personally can't relax at the same place I work 10 hours a day. That's the main benefit for me. Also, my rig is "okay," 1070/i7, but it's rapidly getting long in the tooth. Trying to keep up these days in the PC space is damn expensive. At this point I will just get a series X to tide me over for the triple As until I commit to a new build.
I don't know how people can be on their PC all fucking day. First for work, then gaming. So much physical stress on the body, and even the mind in my opinion. Maybe I am old but that's how I feel.

rainz

Nov 1, 2017
For me a lot of it is playing on my large tv with a controller vs sitting at a desk, specially after sitting at a desk all day already. And the times the tv is in use cross progression is nice indeed..

MrBenchmark

Dec 8, 2017
PC is fine but sometimes I don't always wanna sit at my desk and the PC I have hooked to my tv is my live tv plex server. And sometimes it's nice gaming on a tv and not consuming 500-700 watts for hours and hours.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
This is why I opted for the Series S. I have a good PC so I'm largely getting it as a BC machine
This is my logic for my PC and Series S pairing. I have Game Pass so I'll play a lot of the games on PC and when I want a break from being on the computer I'll pop on the Series S and relax. Is performance going to be as good as my PC? Of course not but it will be good enough for the games on Series S I'll occasionally play.

KillaKap

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Most first party games are cross play with pc so the friends thing is less relevant for that.

MikeSan

Oct 27, 2017
Liège, Belgium
The Gamepass library, the more stable user experience regard to Xbox Games on PC.

I have a pretty decent computer but it's not in the living room and I really dig playing games on my OLED 55" LG, so that's why I'll take both next gen consoles.

Aug 30, 2020
A lot of the comments in the OP and thread talk specifically about laying down even more money for "cost saving" benefits. But if you have a high end PC there really isn't much reason.

For me the following are the reasons I have both

-My gaming PC is a lot noiser,

This comment made me feel a bit sad for you. My gaming PC is quieter than my Xbox One and PS4, even upon initial startup (no game in play nor inserted in drive).

If noise bothers you, look into your quiet build options, a Fractal Design Refine with no windows and a big air CPU fan.

Kayotix

Oct 25, 2017
i got the Series X more for family gaming on my huge TV. My Gaming PC is more for me and single player stuff with a online shooter once and awhile.

Ill have a PS5 eventually as well

tacocat

Alt account
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
Is say there are zero compelling reasons for a gaming PC owner to get an xbox. That's why I have zero interest in the new one.

Deleted member 47076

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 25, 2018
I am also concerned about the SSD size of the Series S and wish that MS would offer more of a variety of size expansion cards at launch. I look at the Seagate proprietary SSD more like a traditional memory card. A $50 256GB and a $100 512GB would have been nice to have for people trying to save money and still be able to get the ability to hold another 3 to 6 next gen games. That would be a great option until the price of memory comes down and you can snag a 2TB for maybe $150.

Agreed that more options would've been nice. Personally I'm going with a USB drive for cold storage for now until prices drop or something.

Heshinsi

Oct 25, 2017
Sports games for one. 2K is garbage on PC, and FIFA's online community is eh on there as well. The Windows store is a very enticing reason I don't want to deal with playing Microsoft games on PC. If I'm playing a single player game on PC, I want mods, and I want the ability to be able to use community fixes for things the devs left out or haven't fixed. The fact that I can't even open the folder where games and apps are installed is infuriating.

Zojirushi

Oct 26, 2017
Still funny seeing so many people listing "couch" as some console exclusive feature in 2020 lol.