• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
__kujo_jotaro_haruno_n2kia.jpg

These game was a major fixture for me, and a fantastic way to learn about shonen manga. Since the DS, we've gotten other Jump crossover games and other Ganbarion platform fighters, but I've always longed to see this series return.

Since it's been quite a while since the last one, there's certainly a lot of new material that a game could pick from. I mostly live under a rock, though, so I'm just going to start us off with stuff that I would be excited about even at the time:

010015753456saje2.jpg

I don't think it's the most well-known version, but the first piloted giant robot series actually got its start in Weekly Shonen Jump. A few months after it would get its anime and an accompanied second manga for another magazine - I'm honestly not too aware about the details, but I get the sneaking suspicion that behind the scenes issues might be a challenge for this one.

cb6f3a9cx2jcg.jpg

I was really big on JoJo's Bizarre Adventure when Jump Superstars was announced, and so I was also looking into other Hirohiko Araki works where I could find them. Baoh was an early one which managed to be popular enough to get an OVA and be referenced in a few games like World Heroes - it's conceptually similar to Kamen Rider where the hero is modified into a bioweapon and fights bac against the evil organization that transformed him, but it's a more organic and violent take on the concept. Baoh made it into JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: All Star Battle, but let's see it jump to a crossover game as well. Let it stand as its own series.

o04800754135125980439djyk.jpg

When Jump Ultimate Stars was announced, Fist of the North Star hadn't been included. The idea of introducing a serious famous for making characters' heads explode into a colourful manga crossover was the funniest thing to me. Dark Schneider from Bastard!! strikes me as hitting a similar note; he's a womanizing megalomaniacal wizard with aspirations of world domination, powerful enough to revive himself from the dead (but not necessarily bringing his clothes with him). The whole thing's got a Frank Frazetta vibe that doesn't seem like Weekly Shonen Jump would be the place for, but it was in its weekly magazines or special issues for over ten years.

Fans of Guilty Gear might be interested in knowing that this is where it got the reference-loaded heavy metal fantasy setting from. For example, Dark Schneider is named after Udo Dirkschneider. At the time of manga's creation, he had recently left Accept to form his own band, U.D.O..

jo171kia.png

Jump Superstars was notably not an anime game, it was a manga one. This is significant for Yu-Gi-Oh!, as the manga was not originally based around the card game, but was originally a darker work where the yet-unnamed Atem challenged miscreants to games and hit them with a magical curse if they lost. Jump Superstars had a few references to early Yu-Gi-Oh!, such as allowing Yugi to deliver a Penalty Game that pixelates another player's vision, rolling d20, or summoning his virtual pet.

While the Konami-backed anime gave Kaiba a much more prominent role, Joey was originally the second lead, with a number of his "games" being more like gimmicky fights. Having him be playable would be a great opportunity to show off the early manga, giving us a very different character from Yugi. Remember when Joey kicked a guy in the face in a game of laser tag? Remember when he fought off yo-yo wielding gang? Remember when he fought Leatherface in a tar pit? You're not going to get this stuff in a typical Yu-Gi-Oh! game, but Jump Superstars 3 could give it to us.

61pubfcltvl9qkx4.jpg

For Akira Toriyama fans, Sand Land has received a lot of praise. The series captures what Toriyama was aiming for with early Dragonball. It's an adventure manga that manages to build a setting while balancing lighthearted qualities. Beelzebub plays a similar role to Goku, being a mischievous but earnestly good-natured hero.

81idnjn-r3l2wj3q.jpg

A big talking point I heard flying around at the time was how you'd make Death Note playable in a fighting game. The series was hot, it seemed like one of the big draws. But it just didn't happen. Death Note characters were summons, but they never became playable. Lame! Light's appeared in later crossovers too but still hasn't made the jump. Now that we're in a post MvC3 Phoenix Wright world there's no longer an excuse of this. Give the man an attack where he heads potato chips and the opponent gets hit by the crumbs.

That's all of the things that I thought of, but there are plenty more possibilties out there. What would catch your interest?

Last edited:

Roliq

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 23, 2018
Feel that both Jujutsu Kaisen and Demon Slayer will get at minimum 3 fighters because of their popularity but honestly the thing i want the most is for them to add more variety of series, Jump Force was horrible, so many characters that had no business being there like Sabo, Gaara and Cell and yet for the DLC decided to keep adding more characters from the already overrepresented franchises

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
It's a basic and likely easily granted request, but I'd like to play as Asta from Black Clover. Finral's portal powers could also make for an interesting moveset as well.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Senku (Dr Stone)
Tanjiro and Nezuko (Demon Slayer)
Megumi Fushiguro (Jujutsu Kaisen)
Andy and Fuuko (Undead Unluck)

All these newer series need attention in the next Jump Crossover game. Even Demon Slayer hasn't been in one yet.

Palazzo

Oct 25, 2017
A Jump Ultimate Stars follow-up would be so much more interesting than the recent cheap arena fighters. Jump crossover fighting games have a lot of potential; it's a shame to see them go the route they have.

I'd just be interested in seeing how Chainsaw Man and Assassination Classroom would get represented - moreso the former, I assume the latter would just see Korosensei playable.

ShroudOfFate

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
Give me more HunterXHunter reps. Gon, Killua, Hisoka and Meruem should stay, maybe replace Bisky with Pitou or Kite

Nov 1, 2020
Since you're specifying Super/Ultimate Stars, that means there's room for the recent series that haven't blown up yet. Mashle and Undead Unluck are probably then the newest series that can still be viable candidates for a hypothetical game coming out 'soon'. From Mashle, the only real choice is Mash himself. Undead Unluck's probably Andy, or Andy/Fuuko. Not gonna lie though, I would like to see Shen in there as his Untruth would allow for some sweet, sweet assholery in a fighting game.

Chainsaw Man/Jujutsu Kaisen/Kimetsu no Yaiba would be locks for some representation.
From Chainsaw Man, the protagonist Denji is a no brainer. But the second character I'd want is actually Kobeni with her sick DDR skills. Or Kobeni's car. Unfortunately both her and her car fell in the 2nd popularity poll (Kobeni from #8 to #10 and her car from #7 to #15; I'm disappointed in you, CSM fandom). Odds are in favor of one of the other members of the main cast.
Jujutsu Kaisen has plenty of options beyond protagonist Yuji. Looks like Megumi's #2 and Gojo-sensei is #3. I'd probably go with Gojo, because it's his world and we're living in it. But my real other pick is actually original protagonist Okkotsu Yuuta. Actually, this series is probably hot enough to get the four named in.
For Kimetsu no Yaiba... sorry anglosphere, but in the most recent popularity poll, Japan has anointed Zenitsu as #1. Can't escape his inclusion. Tanjirou still makes it in by being the protagonist. KnY's mega popularity in Japan probably gets you 2 or 3 pillars on top. By poll, they'd be Giyu/Muichirou/Shinobu. My picks would probably be Shinobu/Kyojurou/Muichirou.

Dr. Stone probably has a shot to get Senku in.

Outside of those, I'd like to see some 2010's representation, if not as playable fighters then at least as supports. Pretty reasonable/likely to see the likes of Shokugeki no Souma/Nisekoi/Bokuben/Promised Neverland/Hinomaru Sumo to at least get support/helper representation. I'm on the fence as to whether World Trigger can get a playable, but it's at least support/helper representation level. The playable rep would be either Osamu or Kuga.
And I swear, if it wasn't for what happened last August, Act-Age would at least get support/helper representation in this hypothetical game.

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid
Magu-chan as a joke hyperboss you can't defeat. Read Magu.chan, is awesomely wholesome and funny.

OP
OP
L Thammy

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Is Mazinger/Go Nagai stuff still under Jump's dominion? Didn't he let off from the publisher?
I'm pretty sure it's Dynamic Pro that controls Mazinger as a whole, but I honestly don't know how manga legal stuff works, like who would need to authorize a new printing of the manga itself.

Looking at Jump Superstars' credits, the copyright sign is shown for individual creators for every series:
youtu.be

Jump Ultimate Stars - Final Boss Fight + Ending Credits

Final fight of Jump Ultimate Stars. Bosses include Frieza/CARAMELMAN J and Majin Buu/Dr MashiritoEnjoy the ending and credits.

So I'm not even sure if Shueisha firmly controls all of the manga in the previous games to begin with.

Last edited:

Zeroth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Monster/Kaiju 8 would be pretty cool, although I think the series needs a bit more time to build more its characters

Nov 1, 2020
While Kaiju no. 8 (and Spy x Family for that matter) are the new hot stuff that by pure numbers would easily make it in, they're Jump+ instead of WSJ. And it's uncharted territory whether a WSJ based game would include Jump+ material. Along those same lines, you fast forward enough into the future, and there'd be question of whether Chainsaw Man pt. II would be eligible in this hypothetical game.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I would just want it to exist. All the other jump fighters were trash.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
Korosensei for sure, also Denji would be pretty cool. If Jump+ counts Loid or Yor (or both) would also be great to have!

OP
OP
L Thammy

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
While Kaiju no. 8 (and Spy x Family for that matter) are the new hot stuff that by pure numbers would easily make it in, they're Jump+ instead of WSJ. And it's uncharted territory whether a WSJ based game would include Jump+ material. Along those same lines, you fast forward enough into the future, and there'd be question of whether Chainsaw Man pt. II would be eligible in this hypothetical game.
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is a mainstay even though the series has since moved to Ultra Jump, so I guess there's sort of precedent for pulling from other Jump publications.

I think V Jump would be a good one. It's also a shonen magazine so the target audience is similar enough to have Jump sequel series, and it's also a video game magazine so there's natural synergy when you're making a crossover video game. I'd personally go with Dragonball Super, Ryu Knight, Kinnikuman the Second, and Go Go Ackman.

k3k3m.jpg

0011383231ll4bkjn.jpg

a1b-mcebgslbzkhs.jpg

61wmruwgnzlzpjp2.jpg

Boruto's there now too, although it started in Weekly Shonen Jump.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
They better not shaft Gintama like Jump Force did.

I don't care about the series having limited appeal to Westerners, Gintoki needs to be mainstay in these games

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I dont know but old school series and non battle series would probably get shafted HARD

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I dont know but old school series and non battle series would probably get shafted HARD

Depends on what you mean by shafted

Jump characters from the 80's were playable and rom coms had summon/support shouts outs like Ichigo 100%

Unless you mean they'd be shafted cause of the awful awful roster that Jump force has.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
That's weird because Gintama seems popular in the West.

Like I've seen memes of it in unexpected places.
It doesn't have a dub and most of the manga was never officially translated, very unusual for what was a pretty major Jump series. It's so loaded with Japanese puns and pop culture references that they just didn't want to bother with it, I guess. I think there's a handful of dubbed episodes floating around, but that's it IIRC.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It doesn't have a dub and most of the manga was never officially translated, very unusual for what was a pretty major Jump series. It's so loaded with Japanese puns and pop culture references that they just didn't want to bother with it, I guess. I think there's a handful of dubbed episodes floating around, but that's it IIRC.
Oh they out the first love action movie on Hulu lol.

But I feel like it has a surprising word of mouth in the west. Like I've seen non anime fans post memes of it on FB. #relatable

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
With the cheer amount of character I always wondered why they never made a straight mobile gacha game with the Supertar formula, they can easily make content for years.

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I want the Pirate logo playable.

No, seriously.

OP
OP
L Thammy

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I do think it's interesting to look at other, similar games to get an idea of what is within the realm of reason. One Piece Grand Battle X on the 3DS is by the same developer and might be what a game on the 3DS would have looked like, although I've never played it myself due to region lock:

Jikkyou Janjan Stadium shows that they aren't totally opposed to having non-fighters playable in fighting games (Light Yagami) or picking characters who have moved from Weekly Shonen Jump to another Jump magazine (Dark Schneider).

A roster like this with the above gameplay and visual style wouldn't be bad, although a few years out of date I guess:

screen-8.jpgfakeurl1t25ktc.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2020
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is a mainstay even though the series has since moved to Ultra Jump, so I guess there's sort of precedent for pulling from other Jump publications.

I think V Jump would be a good one. It's also a shonen magazine so the target audience is similar enough to have Jump sequel series, and it's also a video game magazine so there's natural synergy when you're making a crossover video game. I'd personally go with Dragonball Super, Ryu Knight, Kinnikuman the Second, and Go Go Ackman.

k3k3m.jpg

0011383231ll4bkjn.jpg

a1b-mcebgslbzkhs.jpg

61wmruwgnzlzpjp2.jpg

Boruto's there now too, although it started in Weekly Shonen Jump.

The technicality for JoJo's is that it was still in WSJ up until after Steel Ball Run started. So Stone Ocean and earlier were all entirely in WSJ. And there's wiggle room for Steel Ball Run since it did start in WSJ. So we'll have to wait and see whether JoJolion gets used.