Would you like a new 3D Zelda in the "classic" style?

• Yes please!

Votes: 177 54.3%
  • No thanks

Votes: 102 31.3%
  • I don't really care

Votes: 40 12.3%
  • I don't play Zelda

Votes: 7 2.1%

• Total voters

Squid Icarus

Jul 11, 2019
See thread title. The most recent classic style 3D Zelda was Skyward Sword more than 10 years ago, and it's hard to imagine that this should be the truly last one. I don't think there's a way that the BotW formula + 2D Zelda is all there is now. So, how could a new classic style 3D Zelda look like? And would you want that?

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like they really ran that formula into the ground and am personally interested in seeing them grow the foundation set with Breath of the Wild (ideally not at six plus years between games though!).

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
I don't even know if I consider Skyward Sword to be a truly "classic 3D Zelda". I think it was being just as experimental as Breath of the Wild, just in the opposite direction every time.

But yeah, I don't want Breath of the Wild to be all that we get. It's not REALLY the series I loved as a kid. Still really good in it's own right, but I'd kill for a big OoT/WW/TP style game with modern production and quality. Take what you learned from BotW for the overworld, take SS's better approach to story, and bring both back to the classic formula for a Best of Everything game.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
You can simply do a "classic 3D" Zelda while still incorporating stuff you learned and excelled at in the "non-classic 3D Zeldas" you made.

This stuff isn't as black and white as it seems.

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 23, 2022
Depends what traditional 3D will look like, the appeal of open air for me was just skipping the usual Zelda blockers that feel so arbitrary at this point. Am I gonna need proper fire arrows or can I just make them on the fly?

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I don't even know if I consider Skyward Sword to be a truly "classic 3D Zelda". I think it was being just as experimental as Breath of the Wild, just in the opposite direction every time.
Zelda is a franchise built fundamentally on reinventing the wheel every single time. Yet it's one people always loved to throw the "tired formula" line at because they had the dungeons and the iconography of the macguffins and the villain-type. But how you interacted with that world is radically different every time. Starting right from the beginning when they suddenly made a sidescrolling game.

Kahhhhyle

Jun 8, 2021
Voted yes because if I need to choose one or the other I'd pick the traditional style.

But it really shouldn't be either or. We should be able to have decent puzzles and dungeons and combat without the game holding our hand for the first 2 hours.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I can see and would personally enjoy a Zelda that's more "structured" than BotW's absolute freedom, while still overall retaining an open world feel to it.

But if you're asking me if I'd like the series to go back to the Skyward Sword days, then no.

Hell no.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's super easy to see how you could make a game structured more like the older ones while incorporating all the physics and chemistry systems used in BotW for new puzzle opportunities. There's zero doubt in my mind they will dip back into that well eventually.

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
I just don't understand why we can't have a mix of both. Imagine the sprawling open world, but then coming across a huge ass temple that has some secret requirement to getting in and is filled with puzzles and challenging fights all while wrapped in a single unifying theme with unique music and enemies? Like, how hard is that?

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017
Part of me hopes/wishes Nintendo would make an official "randomizer" version of Link to the Past or Ocarina of Time - they could have it be their Legend of Zelda Maker. Or do another version of Four Swords Adventure on Switch.

That way they can get people's money while taking their time with the next mainline Zelda game. I'm not sure I really want to go back to a style like Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
I think the only real strong differentiator is in the dungeons, which for all we know TotK has.

The problem with Zelda prior to BotW is that it had fallen into a structural rut, following the same basic advancement structure since LttP: complete three shrines, get the Master Sword, complete 7-8 dungeons, fight Ganon. But that's just the formula LttP set up; there's nothing inherently "classic Zelda" about it. If you ask me, BotW is more of a "classic" Zelda than many of those middle games, which were just structurally on autopilot. There doesn't need to be some kind of boundary drawn between them, and I don't feel any desire to return to that structure in a Zelda game again. It's been done to death.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
Tbh I'd love to see them take engines from older 3D Zeldas and build sequels that layer in some of the modern/QOL stuff from BotW while keeping the basic fundamentals intact. That'd be a fun way to expand the "eras" of the classics through smaller-scope titles that could be handled by other teams.

Jencks

Oct 25, 2017
Feel like Zelda needs to be at least wide linear if not open world. You just need larger areas to explore considering the adventure type spirit of the series. Like when I think of Zelda I think of rolling green hills and a blue sky that you can run around in.

Oct 28, 2017
www.youtube.com

The Legend of Zelda - Wii U Demo E3

TechHelpCentral brings you...The Legend of Zelda - Wii U Well about a year ago now with the announcement of the Wii U, this game-play was released, no one kn...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxvM1A_uHuI

PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

Even this had a certain charm to it that I wouldn't mid being fleshed out a bit:

www.youtube.com

The Legend of Zelda: Battle Quest 1 The Grasslands - Nintendo Land Wii U

Playing The Legend of Zelda: Battle Quest 1 solo as an archer.This video shows how I played the first quest. This quest is pretty easy.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfvNPX2-WhE

Ashes of Dreams

May 22, 2020
Zelda is a franchise built fundamentally on reinventing the wheel every single time. Yet it's one people always loved to throw the "tired formula" line at because they had the dungeons and the iconography of the macguffins and the villain-type. But how you interacted with that world is radically different every time. Starting right from the beginning when they suddenly made a sidescrolling game.
I love Zelda but I don't agree that it's fundamentally built on reinventing the wheel "every single time". Quite the opposite for a lot of it's run, actually. I think it was built on having a solid foundation for what Zelda was but adding gimmicks and twists on it to keep it fresh every time. Each game absolutely had it's own identity and I never found the formula tired but I don't think we can honestly look at A Link to the Past, Link's Awakening, Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess and say that they were fundamentally reinventing the wheel. There is a very consistent through line.

Last edited:

Bulgowski

Apr 8, 2022
The first 4 3D Zeldas were some of the most impactful games (and honestly, works of fiction more broadly) I played growing up and remain some of the best experiences I've had in the medium to this day.

With that said, I really have no desire to see the franchise go backwards.

I really agree with this take. Skyward Sword, despite having the iconography of a classic Zelda game just felt off to me. Breath of the Wild is a much smarter and generally more memorable evolution of the classic 3D Zelda style that despite deviating from the tropes of the series felt more true in spirit.

Tuck

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I think Elden ring showed it is possible to marry the old and new, better than how BoTW had.

BoTW with more traditional dungeons would be the GOAT

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Just give me real dungeons. Zelda was the only series we had that had you focus on exploring large 3D structures and figuring out how they fit together while solving puzzles. Not even games that take inspiration from Zelda do this.

That was kinda thrown away in BotW in favor of bite sized challenges that were usually either a single room or had the entire thing laid out in a straight line and it sucked. Shrines were absolutely not a replacement for dungeons like people love to claim.

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Only if it learned from Breath of the Wild and didn't hold the player's hand throughout the entire game.

Breath of the Wild shook things up so much that I don't think we'll ever go back though. The sandbox they created is incredible and it seems like a no-brainer that if they ever went back to the old formula, they'd still at least use the new sandbox rather than going back to the old ways of everything being static.

Dascu

Oct 28, 2017
Said it before: I want a Zelda in the style of Ico or The Last Guardian. One massive dungeon with puzzles to explore. Antithesis to BotW.

AndrewGPK

Oct 27, 2017
Just give us BOTW-style overworld and classic Zelda dungeons and bosses. That's really why Elden Ring is such a great achievement. They managed to build an open world with seamless transitions into their classic dungeons.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
No I wouldn't want that. I'd be for more 2d Zelda games, but I honestly don't want to play another classic style 3d Zelda game again.

Part of me hopes/wishes Nintendo would make an official "randomizer" version of Link to the Past or Ocarina of Time - they could have it be their Legend of Zelda Maker. Or do another version of Four Swords Adventure on Switch.

That way they can get people's money while taking their time with the next mainline Zelda game. I'm not sure I really want to go back to a style like Twilight Princess or Skyward Sword.

the unofficial link to the past randomizer is already so good though, and I honestly doubt Nintendo would release a better one.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
Zelda, along with God of War would benefit greatly if they added some of those classic elements back into the series. I'm Zelda's case, dungeons and GOW, more of that classic level design for the linear sections along with mountain sized bosses to take down. I'm not saying they need to pull the clock back and go back to the classic style, just incorporate some of what worked into the new style.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017

Most Zelda games introduce at least some new thing, but I don't agree that every one is radically different from the one before. Hell, OoT is, structurally at least, the same game as LttP but in 3D. Pretty much all of the advancements between those games were in technology and the way it immersed you in the world, but in the end you did all the same things.

sora bora

Oct 27, 2017
Playing Skyward Sword after BOTW crystalized that old Zelda is dead.

Long live the open world king.

Ashes of Dreams

May 22, 2020
So, BotW with more traditional dungeons would be BETTER. But I don't believe you can have true non-linearity without sacrificing part of the appeal of the Zelda formula. A lot of it was built on a ramp-up in both gameplay and aesthetics. The best parts of the previous games were when you got a new item and the dungeon opened up. But the GOAT parts were when you had to use several previous items in the same dungeon. Granted, the series didn't go there that often but when it did things were great. Link Between Worlds made this impossible and Breath of the Wild just threw it out entirely.

If we had to marry the two styles together, it would need to throw away pure non-linearity. I think a good compromise would be to open the dungeons up in groups. Like have a "first half, second half, finale" thing. You can do the first three dungeons in any order, then the second half opens up and you can do the next three in any order, then the final one opens up.

Of course I know some people liked the pure non-linearity but I think despite how you may feel initially it really holds the gameplay back in the long run. BotW had to design everything around it potentially being your first thing so you saw everything the game had to offer in the first 25%. And that first 25% is SUPER memorable and great. But by the end I was really missing any kind of ramp up in anything.

sku

Feb 11, 2018
I would prefer larger dungeons and a smaller overworld. I hope that most games will go in this direction because every open world game I've played has been too large. Keep the seamless travel between areas, but get rid of the open fields I have to ride a horse through.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
A 3D Zelda with the same old 1 solution puzzles and telegraphed easy boss fights and ultra linear progression in service of a rather uninteresting story that is at odds with the game's world?
Yeah that I can do without, if you wanna do traditional make it a more topdown adventure like LBW or Link's Awakening or just incorporate the good aspects in the openworld games.

Jan 3, 2018
If they can figure out how to fit item progression into a world as open as BotW, then I would say the marriage of classic + open world is what my ideal Zelda would be and what I'm hoping for with TotK.

Last edited:

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know, but I would play the shit out of a 2D BotW-like Zelda.

DarkSora

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
Give me the final chapter of the hero of time.

Ocarina of Time
Majora's Mask
???

APOEERA

Oct 26, 2017
the unofficial link to the past randomizer is already so good though, and I honestly doubt Nintendo would release a better one.

Then Nintendo could take it and sell it with a HD version of Link to the Past on eShop and let the unofficial version continue to work. I mean you can play Zelda Link to the Past on HDTVs or on the go now so maybe what I'm looking for is already solved.

But knowing Nintendo, they'll C&D the unofficial version so maybe it's not a good idea.

LumberPanda

Feb 3, 2019
Give me lots of 2D Traditional, but then 3D BotW.

Even as a kid, up until being an adult when BotW hit, I've felt like 3D Zelda was mostly just Link to the Past but with a bloated runtime.

They don't have the courage to do the best thing they could do - 2D Overworld, 3D dungeons.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
It will get relegated to 2D Zeldas.

Outside of that, I genuinely think you're more likely to see that formula get handed off to another IP.

Like tht Star Fox Adventures experiment, but more successful.

Oct 27, 2017
I dont see classic 3d zelda has this radically different thing that you couldnt put elements of in the new style of zelda game
Also why would Nintendo spend money on a classic 3d zelda which would need a big budget still over a botw style game that would sell infinitely moe

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
i'd rather they just make another 2D one than a "classic" 3D Zelda.

i think better themed dungeons with more significant boss battles within is all TotK needs for me to be the GOAT 3D Zelda (BOTW is already the GOAT :)

I feel like at this point the Zelda series has been "Paper Mario'd"

which is a shame

how does this comparison make any sense...

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
While an argument could be made for meaningful difference existing between 2D and 3D Zelda design (the top-down perspective both limits the world design and augments spatial awareness that benefits a spatial-puzzle focus), "classic 3D Zelda" feels uniquely defined by its concessions and limitations.

BotW was the first HD Zelda game, and the first in the series to even be able to harness the associated benefits (bigger game sizes, ways games can be streamed/loaded, etc.). Before that, the older 3D games had to be designed around "what can we fit in this individual room?" and "how can we approximate a sense of grandeur in Hyrule Field when it's actually quite tiny?"

In OoT, the path to Death Mountain and Goron Village is just that: a path. Entirely linear with background visuals to make it seem like the player is travelling far through treacherous terrain, all split up by transitional loading screens. Of course the puzzles and traversal and boss battles had to all be condensed in dungeons because you can't have a seamless open landscape with all those regions on the N64.

However ... in BotW, getting to Death Mountain became a memorable experience for me all on its own since I immediately tried getting to the volcano, only to learn the heat was too great, and had to quickly retreat before stumbling across the Goron hot springs and an old Goron who essentially directed me back to their town where I could purchase protective armour. That level of meaningful traversal was consistent throughout the whole game, and even when I could see its limits and shortcomings, those feelings were second to the uninterrupted sense of adventure throughout large swathes of my time with BotW. The meaningful interaction between the player and the dungeons from games past is now all over the open map.

All of the things I see mentioned as hallmarks of "classic 3D Zelda" are things that can be layered atop BotW's approach. Dungeons filled with puzzles that create a contained arc of progression and exploration can work in BotW (and already existed there with the divine beasts, just with room for improvement). Expanded creature/enemy variety would sit well alongside the tangibly varied biomes (tangible in the sense that certain places are hot and arid, which affects the player/aspects of the game world, and which could lend itself to housing camel-like creatures/enemies that could store water in their humps). More gadgets would be further opportunity to interact with the fleshed-out physics and "chemistry" systems already present.

BotW achieves perhaps the greatest sense of fundamental freedom and adventure in the series, and I see no reason to create a dichotomy between it and the particular strengths of the "classic 3D" entries because BotW didn't eschew those strengths. If anything, it merely made room for them within its expanded scope.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
It would be cool if they aimed for something smaller in scale with more simulation elements to it, more along the lines of Majora's Mask and some of the gameplay feature they wanted to do for Ura Zelda.

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I'm going to bet there won't ever be another classic 3D Zelda, and that sucks because that specifically is my favorite game design ever and there are so few of them to play.

It won't be financial reasons why there won't be another one, it will be because there won't be anyone left at Nintendo with the skills to make one. The last one of these came out in 2011, it would be like 2027-28 (omfg) at the earliest before we see the next console Zelda. Aonuma was a toy/puzzle box maker before coming onto Nintendo and that's why he's in charge of Zelda. Once he's out that's it for that style of Zelda game. He'll be roughly 60 when TotK comes out, he'll have time for one more Zelda before retirement and Nintendo will want him spending that time training a successor and not designing dungeons.

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 23, 2022
If we're doing Zelda hottakes now. Every Breath of the Wild dungeon is better than every Wind Waker dungeon.

the series threw out everything that made it what it was and will never go back

it's worse than the comparison implies to be honest, at least Paper Mario still tries to do it's own thing even if I don't like that thing instead of just becoming another generic open world game
They got rid of the linearity and arbitrary blockers. While it made for a fundamental shift, it's literally the same gameplay.

They've even released two classic games since since then.