• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

rhin0cer0s

Sep 26, 2022
California
Battlefield Vietnam (the one that released after 1942)

I had so much fun with that online but I'm assuming nobody plays it anymore.

I have the CD-ROMs… it's one of the games that won't convert to Origin (I think 1942, BF2, and 2142 converted after speaking with a phone rep) 😢.

If I only had the resources and players to build out a computer lab!

I'd normally say SOCOM II, but with Xbox Dev Mode and Steam Deck, it's now a reality for me. Would still love BF Vietnam and Bad Company 2: Vietnam to come back.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Just thought of another one.

Modnation Racers. That was the PS3's defining kart racer, and it was damn good and the community was very creative and talented with all the content made for it. Having it get shut down while LBP Karting took its place was heartbreaking. My primary motivation to get a PS3 was for Fat Princess and Modnation Racers, and they both died too soon. Top 5 PS3 games, and I'm not exaggerating.

Grips

Oct 5, 2020
Mainframe
Ive been having the greatest time going back to my old OG xbox and give it another life with Insignia.

Im replaying most of the games I wish I could play again, with multiplayer.

Conker MultiPlayer, Darkwatch MP, Dead or Alive 2U, Rainbow Six 3 MP, Pandora Tomorrow Spy vs Mercs.

I do miss Warhammer Online, it was amazing back then but it was so badly managed.

Last edited:

WildArms

Apr 30, 2022

zeknurn

Oct 25, 2017
Most of the older games like Bad Company 2 and Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory still have players. Most of the refractor era Battlefields are pretty much dead though. I wish EA would rerelease all of them in a collection. I wouldn't mind playing 2142 again with a vibrant community.

Medal of Honor: Allied Assault multiplayer was my bread and butter back in college. Loved playing on round-based objective servers.

This is also my main pick. The Hunt, The Bridge, V2 Factory, such intense experiences. I tried the revival mod last year, but its not the same and there's barely one full server.

CaptainBearTV

Dec 20, 2023
Rainbow Six : Raven Shield on PC when the Multiplayer Userbase was at its peak.

Most fun I've ever had in a shooter.
Even though I played a few thousand hours of R6 Siege it simply doesn't compare to the fun I had back then.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Warhawk, Killzone 2, and Killzone 3. Yeah, there's revival projects, but I don't want to bust out my PS3 and the games aren't listed as being fully compatible with RPCS3 or RPCN.

Metal Gear Online 1 and 2 were on that list, but both are playable in their respective console emulators and on the consoles themselves, so I'm happy. Wish more people played them online though.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Gone? Nope it's still on my shelf.
Just because a game is not ported to the latest platform does not mean it's gone.
Gone on PC though. I had a nightmare finding my download for War on... because it wasnt even tied to my Steam Account, but it was purchased as a standalone download for whatever reason. So you cant even pull the "well its still on your steam account!" bit.

Games are also delisted, so even for older consoles, your options to get these games are limited to hoping you brought them at the time. And considering how much better the PC ports were (blessed 60FPS options), its a real downer to have them "gone".

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
Lawbreakers.

Thought technically not "again" since I missed it the first time, even though I bought. I just waited a bit too long to try it.
But I'm getting my wish now, since they're reviving it (unofficially).

Icarian

May 9, 2018
Not quite a dead game, but I wish I could experience 2003-2006 FFXI again, not just the game but that whole era.

No youtube.
No monetising everything, which in turn meant nonexistent rush to pump out meta stuff everywhere.
Discussion forums/communities where you could discuss about the game instead of communities filled with memes and the same 5 casual questions spammed ad-nauseam.

tenor.gif

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
Gone on PC though. I had a nightmare finding my download for War on... because it wasnt even tied to my Steam Account, but it was purchased as a standalone download for whatever reason. So you cant even pull the "well its still on your steam account!" bit.

Games are also delisted, so even for older consoles, your options to get these games are limited to hoping you brought them at the time. And considering how much better the PC ports were (blessed 60FPS options), its a real downer to have them "gone".
I thought this thread is about games that you can't play anymore. Not just games that can't be bought.
Because if it's the latter, I sure have a lot of dead games!

deadkraken

Oct 27, 2017
Marvel Heroes Omega.
It was one of the only ways that you could get a full hands on experience with your favorite superheroes from the Marvel universe and who doesn't love a good isometric action rpg?.
youtu.be

Marvel Heroes Omega Official Launch Trailer

Marvel Heroes Omega assembles one of the largest gatherings of iconic Super Heroes, Super Villains, and locations from the Marvel Universe for PlayStation®4 ...

Smash + Grab.
Now this one I loved so much, made by United Front (Their actual last game) It was launched in Early access and had some quick and pretty hectic matches going around urban landscapes looting and defeating your opponents, there was quite a good blend of third person combat with MOBA elements just wish they got some more exposure.
youtu.be

SMASH+GRAB | Early Access Launch Gameplay Trailer

Available on Steam today: http://store.steampowered.com/app/412720/Get ready for SMASH+GRAB, an underground competition where gangs of the future battle it o...

X-Men legends ( We need a remake a remaster anything at this point ) With the current wave of popularity for our favorite mutants I do think that this is one that needs to be revisited even if somehow GOG can get the PC version licensed and functional for co-op.

I've got so much more I'll just mention Lawbreakers and Phantasy star online (OG) as well.

PinkSpider

Oct 27, 2017
Bad Company 2 on Xbox 360. I played the sniper class with a SMG. Take down buildings from afar on rush then charge with motion detectors. That and engineer tracer darts into helicopters and then rocket. Rush in the games after was never the same.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Foamstars. The first weekend after it released, in particular.
Dang. That game still feels "new" in my mind. Did it crash and burn already?!

I still miss Marvel Heroes a lot
Oh man, this is a good answer. I had fun playing the game as little as I did (wish I got into it sooner...).

I guess for my answer? I'll say Doom (2016) on PS4, lol. I actually don't want to play it all that much (even though I DID have fun with it back on launch for a bit. Underrated), but I cannot get the platinum for the PS4 version of the game since I simply can't find a match to play. I've tried just letting the game sit and sit on the "searching for match" screen (or whatever it says, lol. It's been a while since I last tried) and I get nothring. Really frustrating that it's the only obstacle for the game's platinum to me is just winning a single multiplayer match and I can't get one.

M-TRNL

Oct 25, 2017
Bronx, NY
Other than SMB35, Playstation All-Stars 2v2 was so damn fun. Maxed out every character's level. Don't wanna buy a Vita and wifi adapter just to play it online again without Parsec but I'm thinkin about it

Also, it's only dead in the population sense but Just Cause 2 MP was most active when my PC was dogshit.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Inspired by a thread from yesterday I believe, UC2 multiplayer. A recent thread made me sit and remember just how much pure fun I had with that mode for a summer back in highschool. That mode had no right to be as fun as it was. I'm genuinely sad I'll never get to experience it again but the memories are great either way.

Buzzkiller_20

Oct 27, 2017
I wish Killzone 3 multi-player was still around. I loved operations. Assassin's Creed is another one I miss. I regularly came in first place there due to have more Stealth kills than most other players. Most players would run around trying to rack up as much kills as possible, but since you don't get that many points on a per kill basis, and instead on how stealthy you do it; they would always be at the bottom of the scoreboard at the end. It was such a fun game. Marvel Heroes was also really cool. Never got to play too much of it though. Disney needs to be broken up, Smh.

Merv

Oct 27, 2017
WoW Classic - but with everyone playing it for the first time and with all the acccumulated game knowledge erased.

This. I was thinking of Everquest as well. I did go back to EQ via project 1999, and it was great. I prolly saw more content than I would have if there wasn't very knowledgeable people, but also the content was somewhat lessened with the modern tactics.

Mandelbo

Oct 30, 2017
After the recent server shutdown news…

LITTLEBIGPLANET-2-BOX-ART.jpg

Specifically around a year or so after launch once there were a few QoL patches and a good supply of quality community levels.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
In fact i miss all those mid-late 90's AOL subscription games i can't remember the name of the service but they had a aliens online game, godzilla online, starship troopers online etc.

I came to say Aliens Online. Was a buggy mess of a game, but my brother, friend and I were fucking obsessed with it. I wish some form of it still existed to see again.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
FFXI in its heyday. crazy to think 20 years later, how far online gaming as come, much less gaming itself, it's still super unlikely I'll ever experience anything like that again

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Warhawk and Fat Princess. I didn't like COD like everyone else back then so these 2 were my jam.

Grain Silo

Dec 15, 2017
Section 8: Prejudice

Such a great little game. Spawning in by meteor-dropping from the sky, building turrets, calling in motorcycles and mechs. I miss it.