Oct 25, 2017
So I always wondered what would happen if an actor died that was pivotal to a movie series or tv show.

I'm not talking about a movie thats a one-off or show.

For example, Game of Thrones. Now I'm not going to name an specific actor because that is bad luck and bad taste, but lets say one of the major characters died from that show in real life. Like, a character that is clearly integral to the next season that hasn't begun shooting.

What would happen exactly?

Obviously film and tv studios have an emergency plan for such an event, right? Does anyone know the standard procedure for such things?

In my Game of Thrones example, what would they do? Recast the person I'm guessing, 8 seasons in? Write the person out somehow? (although if they were integral I'm assuming this would be impossible). Cancel the show?

Has this ever happened before? Maybe Paul Walker, but he already shot lots of his scenes, and it was pretty easy to write him out of the next movie.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dumbledore in the Harry Potter movies was replaced when the actor died and a lot of people didn' t even notice

Darknight

"I'd buy that for a dollar!"
Oct 25, 2017
They cancelled Training Day when Bill Paxton passed away.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
There are running series that is just built in that they recast every so often, Doctor Who, James Bond.

They changed The oracle in the matrix sequels for this reason, they just said she'd had to take on a new form, which didn't break the story.

The dark knight rises would have presumably featured the joker if the actor was still alive.

Of course these days with blue screen and CGI, you can do what the fast and furious movies did and piece together a posthumous riding off into the sunset scene.

Avis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If that person is extremely integral, consider cancelling. Though this is rare, and usually only done if the show was losing viewers anyways.

Otherwise, replacement actor/off screen death.

And in some cases, CG.

uncelestial

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco, CA, USA
Seems like Game of Thrones is the least of your worries given that they kill main characters on the reg.

I've seen the characters just ghosted -- as with Troy McClure and Lionel Hutz when Phil Hartman was murdered. I've seen their death get written into the show -- as with Ms. Krabappel when Marcia Wallace died, and Lyvia Soprano when Nancy Marchand died (which required the use of awkward CG to pull off). Depends on the show and the character, really.

If, say, Kramer had died in 1996, I bet the show would've gone on. It's a comedy. Unless it's *the principal character* -- like, Cranston dying during Breaking Bad -- I would wager most shows that were making money would try to find a way.

PreeminentDB

Oct 25, 2017
John Ritter died during the 2nd season of 8 Simple Rules. He was the main character. They wrote in that he died, and added Jim Garner as his dad, and David Spade as Ritter's nephew.The show went on for another year, and was canceled after the third season.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This made me think of when of Guardians Vol. 2 teased that the next movie has the Guardians 3000 playing a big part and I was in the theater thinking "What if Sylvester Stallone dies?"

grang

Nov 13, 2017
I think the biggest most recent one is 8 Simple Rules, when John Ritter passed.

Here's a video of the episode if you want to see how they handled it (sorry for the quality, it's the only one I could find): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QefbqSn5Hc

John Ritter died during the 2nd season of 8 Simple Rules. He was the main character. They wrote in that he died, and added Jim Garner as his dad, and David Spade as Ritter's nephew.The show went on for another year, and was canceled after the third season.
Beaten to the punch!

GotMineGood

Banned
Nov 25, 2017
All depends on what the studio, writer, and producers want to do. Each scenario is different. If it happens on GoT, I'll let you know.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't the main actor in Spartacus die in between seasons? If I'm not mistaken, I think they fixed the show by making the rest of the seasons prequels.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be a bit surprised if Trailer Park Boys continues past the most recently filmed season, with John Dunsworth being dead. I know it can continue without him, but it wouldn't feel right without Lahey.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Back in 2002, ABC had a family sitcom waiting called 8 Simple Rules, starring John Ritter and Katey Sagal. They played the main characters, the parents of the family. But in 2004, John Ritter died and the cast and crew of the show didn't know what to do. After a month hiatus of the second season, the show came back on air and acknowledged Ritter's death by killing off the character too. The few episodes that aired after Ritter's death were mourning the character and actor. Then Katey Sagal took on the lead role by herself as a single mother and also had the help of a couple of new characters from the family.

That was done pretty well but the show obviously was never the same after Ritter passed away. ABC decided to renew the show for a third season and it didn't do so well so it ended up being the last one. Many people have said that ABC should've cancelled the show after season 2.

Overall, it's a very messy situation and if the show is good enough without the main character, then it will continue. Otherwise it'll just get cancelled.

EDIT: Geez. Beaten twice over.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Paul Walker died. They used his brothers and CGI inserted his face on them to finish shooting.

okay

Oct 25, 2017
Replace him with Jude Law, Johnny Depp and Colin Farrell and add in a shapeshifting plotline.. or something

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Look at Spartacus the show. When Andy Whitfield died, they recast him and kept the show going. The new guy wasn't anything great but he was filling massive shoes left behind.

spartacus-vengenacerrs7n.jpg

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
It's pretty much 3 choices. Re-cast the character, re-write the script and/or kill off the character, or if they were crucial to the product's success, cancel.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
When Phillip Seymour Hoffman died before the filming of Mockingjay part 2 was completed, they just used alternate shots to not show his face or just CGed his face on the body of a double.

Same thing in Gladiator when Oliver Reed died of a heart attack while filming.

Then you have horrible examples like this with Bruce Lee in Game of Death or Peter Sellers in Trail of the Pink Panther where archived footage or deleted scenes footage from another movie are spliced together to make a film years after the actor died.

Last edited:

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
In the current shows that I watch, they'd pretty much have to be canceled if the main actor died. I couldn't imagine Mr. Robot without Rami Malek, or Arrow without Stephen Amell.

I mean, they could recast Amell by coming up with some dumb other world excuse, or hand over the show to John by making him the new Green Arrow for real, but it wouldn't be the same.

boxter432

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Seems like Game of Thrones is the least of your worries given that they kill main characters on the reg.

I've seen the characters just ghosted -- as with Troy McClure and Lionel Hutz when Phil Hartman was murdered. I've seen their death get written into the show -- as with Ms. Krabappel when Marcia Wallace died, and Lyvia Soprano when Nancy Marchand died (which required the use of awkward CG to pull off). Depends on the show and the character, really.

If, say, Kramer had died in 1996, I bet the show would've gone on. It's a comedy. Unless it's *the principal character* -- like, Cranston dying during Breaking Bad -- I would wager most shows that were making money would try to find a way.
speaking of Hartman, they wrote in his death in Newsradio, to start off season 5. it was tough to watch.
wiki: "The cast could barely get through reading the script due to the death of Phil Hartman. They broke down in tears several times while filming the episode."

Whitemex

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
The Crow

Brandon Lee was killed while filming the movie. They decided to finish the movie with his stunt double (if I remember) filling in

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
When Phillip Seymour Hoffman died before the filming of Mockingjay part 2 was completed, they just used alternate shots to not show his face or just CGed his face on the body of a double.

Same thing in Gladiator when Oliver Reed died of a heart attack while filming.

But sometimes it can go wrong like with

Then you have horrible examples like this with Bruce Lee in Game of Death or Peter Sellers in Trail of the Pink Panther where archived footage or deleted scenes footage from another movie are spliced together to make a film years after the actor died.

Bahahahahaha

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
In the current shows that I watch, they'd pretty much have to be canceled if the main actor died. I couldn't imagine Mr. Robot without Rami Malek, or Arrow without Stephen Amell.

I mean, they could recast Amell by coming up with some dumb other world excuse, or hand over the show to John by making him the new Green Arrow for real, but it wouldn't be the same.

With the number of alternate earths there are in the Arrowverse, recasting the role would be pretty easy.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
While he wasn't necessarily integral, GoT had no problems recasting guys like the Mountain and Dario... 8 seasons in it might be tough but I'd think they'd do it and people would understand.

But yeah, the Hunger Games trilogy was a good example where Hoffman's character was integral to the plot and it was an adaptation so they couldn't change much, and luckily they were able to hack it together with existing footage. Same, I'm sure, with Leia in the new Star Wars.

Although there's still debate over whether they changed it because of this, Mark Hamill was in a car accident where his facial structure was altered, and they had him mauled by a Wampa early on in Empire.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
Lets say, and shit I hate doing this, but lets say the actress playing Danaerys died today or something.

Like, what would HBO do? Clearly she is important to the series and the last season.

I guess recast? It would be jarring to say the least.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Lets say, and shit I hate doing this, but lets say the actress playing Danaerys died today or something.

Like, what would HBO do? Clearly she is important to the series and the last season.

I mean sure it would be jarring, but people would get over it.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017

Where is series based on a book that has definitive way that it's going to end? They would recast. Like they did with Harry Potter.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I mean they recast tv shows and movies a bunch, mainly because of contract disputes. Aunt Viv in Fresh Prince, Becky in Roseanne, Ann/Egg in Arrested Development (which will also have to do another recasting or exclusion because of Tambor), Rhodey in Iron Man, heck, Katie Holmes to Gyllenhall in the Batman films. Besides Ann, none of these were minor characters.

PreeminentDB

Oct 25, 2017

20 year older example, but Jack Soo died during the run of Barney Miller. He was main cast, and important, but they moved on. Now if Hal Linden, who played Barney, died, the show would have been over.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Recast. This happened to Starz's excellent Spartacus series, when the star Andy Whitfield's untimely loss derailed production after season 1. A prequel miniseries was released to give everyone time to regroup, and then Liam McIntyre stepped into the lead role from season 2 onward.

He started out rough, but most fans embraced him by the end. I'm sorry to say that I couldn't. Andy was the perfect Spartacus and the series never felt the same without him. I just couldn't trick myself into believing that I was watching the resolution of his story.

OP
OP
Oct 25, 2017
I mean they recast tv shows and movies a bunch, mainly because of contract disputes. Aunt Viv in Fresh Prince, Becky in Roseanne, Ann/Egg in Arrested Development (which will also have to do another recasting or exclusion because of Tambor), Rhodey in Iron Man, heck, Katie Holmes to Gyllenhall in the Batman films. Besides Ann, none of these were minor characters.

I guess, but I wouldn't say integral. I'm talking Uncle Phil, John Goodman, GOB, Robert Downey Jr.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there's a standard for them, since it's always done by a case by case basis. I think typically the show tries to go on, if possible.

Couple of examples:

In The Matrix, the lady who played the Oracle in the first two movies died before the third movie was shot. She was replaced by another lady who obviously looked different, but acted with the same attitude. There were a few sequences added to the third movie that implied she was killed and had to move to a new body.

Persona 5: The voice actor for Igor (not a main character but a very important recurring character in the series) died and was replaced with another voice actor. Game made no mention of the change.

Haikyuu: The voice actor for the team's coach died and was replaced mid-season. Obviously looked the same since this is an anime, but he sounded different.

In a few cases where the actor DIDN'T die but was quietly replaced:

- In the Matrix, Tank's character was quietly replaced with Link. Tank was sort of killed off camera somewhere between the first and second movies.
- In Iron Man, Rhodes was recast between 1 and 2, but the movie made no mention of it.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Dumbledore in the Harry Potter movies was replaced when the actor died and a lot of people didn' t even notice

I think people didn't really notice at the time since:
  1. Director Chris Columbus and Richard Harris decided to play the character straight as a generic wizard.
  2. It was still very early in the series before the films started moving to different directors.
You would have to be blind to not see the difference between Dumbledore in Chamber of Secrets and the next film. Michael Gambon moved around a lot and was more expressive than Richard Harris was in that role.

Just_a_Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I remember when Jon Lovitz was brought in to replace Phil Hartman on Newsradio. Felt like a weird zombie show, and it ended up getting cancelled not long after that.

BorkBork

Oct 25, 2017
Lots of people noticed and criticized the change in Dumbledore. I am not a fan of Gambon's version myself.

As for the original question, you just gotta roll with it. Recasting is always a tricky business.

Oct 25, 2017
Arizona
But yeah, the Hunger Games trilogy was a good example where Hoffman's character was integral to the plot and it was an adaptation so they couldn't change much, and luckily they were able to hack it together with existing footage. Same, I'm sure, with Leia in the new Star Wars.
Fisher had already wrapped filming, so there was no issue there. She had not however completed ADR, so they had to sink a lot of time and effort into cleaning up her audio.

Lots of people noticed and criticized the change in Dumbledore. I am not a fan of Gambon's version myself.

As for the original question, you just gotta roll with it. Recasting is always a tricky business.
Harris was great for the whimsical wizard without all that much depth of the early stories, but Gambon was a better fit for the more complex and layered character he becomes by the end of the series.

litebrite

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yep, there was an 80's show tltled Valerie that starred Valerie Harper and after the first season they had a contract dispute and they wrote out the lead character the show is named after. LOL The show was still successful and lasted for like 5 seasons afterwards and kept retitling the show to Valerie's Family to The Hogans to finally The Hogan Family.