OP
OP
oni-link

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
A lot of people are saying "hope Sony fuck up" but how do you see them fucking up?

Would no BC be enough of a fuck up to send that many people to Microsoft?

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
A lot of people are saying "hope Sony fuck up" but how do you see them fucking up?

BC with PS4? Possibly, as you are essentially kneecapping your biggest strength and giving consumers a reason to view this as a fresh start.

BC with prior consoles? No.

Oct 27, 2017
Bloodborne, The Last Guardian, and even Until Dawn sold well. Then they have PSVR and games that can only be played there.
Fair enough, I will give you those

They also have other new third party exclusives that have sold very well like Nier Automata, No Man's Sky, The Witness, and I'm sure a few others I'm forgetting. [/QUOTE] Those are all on steam.

They also have a lot of upcoming new exclusives like Detroit: Become Human, Spider-Man, Days Gone, and Ghost of Tsushima.[/QUOTE] Not out yet but ok, also dont forget god of war.

As you said I am sure that there are some that you have not listed. But once we put the list down it isn't a whole heck of a lot that is platform exclusive is it?

Sloane Ranger

Oct 27, 2017
New Albany
Totally disagree with those two points bolded. Options are good for the player.

GaaS are where the industry is going and where longstanding games become phenomenons. They aren't "bad things". Sea of Thieves for example, a really unique game that only MS/RARE would make.

Yeah agree - having the option (GaaS) is great - I enjoy many online only games, just don't make it the focus - because some people, myself included do not want a future with a majority of GaaS only games.

The future is what people make of it, or in some cases just what people let let happen, and then complain about later.

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Come out of the gate with a product that's as powerful as Sony's and either costs the same or is cheaper.

Doesn't matter if you make it more expensive but drop the price later. By then people will buy the systems that all their friends have, which will be the one that was cheaper before.

Saint-14

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Nah, I don't think BC alone will make people abandon the PS4, I'm mainly thinking of what happened with the PS3, a big price difference, launching a year later, mistakes I highly doubt Sony will do again.

Sony

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
More powerful hardware + games. Xbox' services are leagues ahead of PS for now and they should continue building on that.

Oct 27, 2017

My opinion is that other than the exclusives they really do not offer anything more than other competition without that they really do not shine elsewhere. Their hardware in my opinion seems to be lower quality as far as the ps4 goes..especially the controllers, there online is woefully underdeveloped for a paid service, their software support of hardware features- I am looking at you ps pro/ backwards compatibility are not really great. I am not saying that they will completely falter next gen if they continue how they are but they will definitely lose some ground.

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
What a terrible idea.

Why do you guys love limiting your choices on how and where to play?

MS is giving you the freedom of where to play with a free extra copy so why on earth anyone is against this?
Because I need my box to win (whatever the hell that means) even if it means I lose benefits!

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
In terms of interest in Europe, don't assume we give a toss about US sports. If you are doing a global launch of something pitched as a media centre, you still need to tailor it to each market rather than have a show clearly aimed at only one country's interests that badges everyone else as second class customers. Regaining market share in the UK is going to revolve around price and being the first mover, mainland Europe is a far harder proposition and needs local knowledge that MS doesnt seem to think is important.

Deleted member 8579

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if they would buy Epic Games and license out an engine, physics, cloud package for all game platforms and getting Fortnite IP.

bane833

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
1. Good hardware at a decent price.
2. Keep working on their BC system, it´s their strongest feature at the moment.
3.Games Games Games.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
In house exclusive. Reveal not so much MS have made up for that. It's the games that keeping them back.
Outside of games them and Sony are pretty equal in my eyes hence why people that already own a PS4 won't pick up an X, cause they are basically the same damn thing.

Oct 27, 2017
No way they need to keep doing this. There are people that want a powerful PC and those who don't. This way caters to both, the games are cross compatible increasing player bases. Everybody wins.

I love beening able to play games on my X one one tv or later boot it up and playing it on my desktop/laptop. This feature is not going anywhere. If anything this needs to be more commonplace with 3rd party companies too.

Deleted member 8579

Oct 26, 2017
I dont think that would change anything. Remember they bough minecraft and that is still available on sony products

I dlove not mean taking away from other platforms. They would still be open to all. I went off on a tangent to the OP into what makes Microsoft bank.

Anyway, doesn't matter. Tencent apparently own 40% of Epic. Don't see Microsoft getting it from their mitts.

Deleted member 268

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Games.

That's the only reason why I still buy consoles.

I want games and I want assurances that they will keep coming. I need them to instil with the confidence that they are committed to first party IPs and studios before I even consider buying back into their platform.

For now, if Sony stay the course, they have a guaranteed purchase in me for their next console iteration.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They need good (real) exclusive games.

For that they need good first-party studios.

For that they need to not mismanage their first-party studios into the ground.

So a good start would be to acquire more studios and start treating them a better way by creating good working conditions and letting them explore new ideas instead of just hashing out uninspired sequels after uninspired sequels.

Oct 27, 2017
They can only hope for a closer result next time. Head to head sales numbers are basically impossible all things considered. Console numbers in Japan aren't too hot, yet still enough to give PS a 6 million boost over Xbox. Add some of the other Sonylands like Germany, Spain, etc. and PS has a good head start by default.

Both are using the same tech, so no one can offer a much better product for the same amount of money or even less.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017

No PS4 BC on PS5 would be a massive fuck up.
People have invested thousands in digital games this gen, taking it away whilst Xbox make a big song and dance about how they aren't, would certainly turn me off PlayStation at least.
Though I'd probably go to PC over Xbox, in that scenario.

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
I don't know why their strategy isn't working but I'd imagine it has to do with the fact that they're blurring the lines between PC gaming and Home Consoles and that is confusing to consumers like myself.

Also I'll admit I came in here to make a joke about the thread title and a reboot of the Genesis gem Gain Ground.
genesis-gain-ground-screen.png

Deleted member 25108

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Worldwide, I think it's impossible. They have at least a generation of audience building outside of the US and UK to do. Something they don't seem particularly interested in even now.

They can easily retake the US next generation and the UK has no loyalty outside of who is the cheapest/best value.

They don't even need to do much. Just keep the games and features coming.

Novocaine

Oct 26, 2017
I love beening able to play games on my X one one tv or later boot it up and playing it on my desktop/laptop. This feature is not going anywhere. If anything this needs to be more commonplace with 3rd party companies too.

Couldn't agree more. Capcom are pretty much the only one in so far I believe? I don't think we'll see Activision EA or Ubi go in because they already have their own dedicated PC platforms. Still plenty of opportunities to be had.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As long as Sony keeps being anti consumer by refusing to have refunds, cross platform play, multi generation backwards comparability and a open Early Access program I think Microsoft just has to worry about messaging these advantages and they could have a similar tie like the 360.

Worldwide they will never gave a advantage. They have tried EVERYTHING to get a foothold in Europe and japan But in the US they can dominate.

sonnyboy

Oct 25, 2017
I'd own one now if they had any games that interested me. That was my reasoning at the end of the last generation, the start of this one and moving forward.

Wereroku

Oct 27, 2017
I mean what do you mean by gain ground? There are probably some territories where MS is never going to beat Sony. If you strictly mean leading in the US/UK again then probably just release a comparable console at less then 399 and have some compelling exclusives.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Worldwide? I don't know if it's possible.

In generation 7 Microsoft released a year earlier, with the better product and a great games lineup at cheaper price and they still ended up narrowly at third place for the generation.

Kraq

Oct 25, 2017
It's all about the games.

That's literally what all of these discussions, threads and videos about Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo's successes boil down to. Sony bounced back in the PS3 era by going on overdrive in the software department. Nintendo had its best year in a decade by pumping out some of its best software ever (although 2018 is giving off red signals). Sony has been consistent in its software and is reaping the rewards. Nintendo is on a high with Switch doing better than anyone thought.

We haven't seen anything from Microsoft yet. They haven't attempted anything similar to Sony's comeback. Their big franchises don't have the same hype as they used to, so they can't pull of a Nintendo-like upset in Xbox 4's first year. On the hardware side of things, they've been hands down the best this gen. The Elite Controller was a brilliant idea. The One X is a better mid gen console than the PS4 Pro. In terms of customer service, they actually offer BC and the ability to access your previously downloaded games, which is something the other two should be ashamed of. Plus they recently released the GamePass which is a great value for money. But ultimately, it's the software that makes the console, and considering that they look like a company without any confidence, I don't know if they have what it takes to pull it off.

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
They have lost this Gen, so they need to focus on what they can do for Next Gen or just bow out of the gaming console market entirely. In the end it is about the software which they have really been lacking in that department as of late.

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
They need the brand to resonate outside of the United States and the United Kingdom. This is not an easy fix. Sony has invested decades into PlayStation having a presence around the world.

erlim

Oct 26, 2017
London
I really don't think they have to do anything; they have BC, gamepass, and a more powerful console. There is the rumors they are acquiring EA, or some other large Japanese publisher.

I feel like the tide change is inevitable. Sony is just treading water, Kaz has stepped down, and they've shown the habit of becoming arrogant. I think it's nice they put effort into AAA singleplayer games, but the market is going away from that more and more.

Nintendo's momentum is also insane; I fully expect Labo to be a huge trend once it releases. Both companies taking over Sony's position is an inevitably in my eyes.

Last edited:

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't think they have to do anything; they have BC, gamepass, and a more powerful console. There is the rumors they are acquiring EA, or some other large Japanese publisher.

I feel like the tide change is inevitable. Sony is just treading water, Kaz has stepped down, and they've shown the habit of becoming arrogant. I think it's nice they put effort into AAA singleplayer games, but the market is going away from that more and more.

Nintendo's momentum is also insane; I fully expect Labo to be a huge trend once it releases. Both companies taking over Sony's position are inevitably lies in my eyes.

Sounds like the age of Sony is done.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
More and appealing exclusives. I already find their console (and product policy) better, but most exclusives I'm interested in are on PS4.

Oct 27, 2017

Nintendo's momentum is also insane; I fully expect Labo to be a huge trend once it releases. Both companies taking over Sony's position are inevitably lies in my eyes.
Sounds like the age of Sony is done.
He is closer to being right than you think.

Argot

Oct 29, 2017
Pretty doable in the US, I feel. The fact that it's stayed as competitive as it has here despite the botched launch tells me the brand is still strong in the States. If the GamePass gamble works out, they launch a good product at a good price and have some games that turn heads they don't even need Sony to screw up particularly badly.

Worldwide? Now there's the puzzle.

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
When I had to choose between a Pro and a One X recently, I made my choice based on the exclusive games I'd rather play.

I chose the Pro, even if the One X would have taken better advantage of my new OLED setup.

Memento

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They cant be late, if PS5 launches in 2019 for example (i dont think that is the case tho) they need to be able to launch the NextBox in 2019. If they launch it much later they will not be able to catch up.

And... I guess they should also hope Sony fucks up somehow. Like, no backward compatibility. That would kill PS5. I dont think Sony is that stupid though.

Last but not least, investing on first party titles and making GamePass such a valuable service that it becomes a system seller feature.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
LOL fair enough. There is always going to be some conjecture when you have this topic type. But the main thing that we are missing is what direction is Sony really going. MS and Ninentdos future plans are laid out pretty clearly. Sony not so much.

The direction they are going is the one they are on now, which is wildly successful. I mean, people can say "single player narrative driven games are on the way out" but Uncharted 4, Horizon and Bloodborne were massive successes, and Spiderman, God of War and TLOU 2 look to follow suit. People can point to Management shake ups and restructuring as bad things (Kaz stepping down), but can you also contexualize as to why? Or is it simply "things are changing so that must be bad". People can point to their "anti consumer" policies but thus far has any of that actually resonated in any meaningful way outside of pockets of the enthusiast circles. Has it actually cost them any real market share? Sony seems in a pretty good spot to me. Obviously that doesn't mean they are invincible, as I said I think no PS4 BC On PS5 would probably be a mistake out the gate, but I don't get this narrative that somehow MS' direction is more clearly defined.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Make some games that aren't Halo/Gears/Forza. Don't downsize first party development. Expand it considerably.

AppleBlade

Nov 15, 2017
Connecticut
They will never close the gap. They can come closer, but that's it.
You can't be serious? This industry is a freaking see saw as far as market leader goes. Nintendo goes from absolute dominance (NES, SNES, Wii) to lackluster sales (N64, GameCube, Wii U) like a yoyo. Sega went from Master System to Genesis to Saturn to DreamCast ... nuff said. Sony went from being unproven to market leader right away with the PS1, achieved utter market dominance with the PS2 and then was smoked for most of the PS3 generation. Microsoft went from lackluster sales with the Xbox to being the market leader for most of the Xbox 360 generation to playing catchup with the Xbox One. If there is anything I know about the games industry is that things do not stay the same.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
LOL fair enough. There is always going to be some conjecture when you have this topic type. But the main thing that we are missing is what direction is Sony really going. MS and Ninentdos future plans are laid out pretty clearly. Sony not so much.
PSNow is pretty clearly their future plan, we aren't close to it being viable though. So Sony in the meantime are breaking into new markets like the Middle East and trying to in China. Whilst going as strong as ever in their established markets.

I'd say their plan is pretty clear. Far more so than Nintendo, but that's understandable as the Switch is still new.