PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
tSo introduced in the Buu Saga and the last stage of Super Saiyan introduced in the manga:

latest

SSJ3 Is undeniably a memorable transformation especially with how much it stands visually compared to the other forms. It is a mainstay for sure but what are your overall thoughts on the transformation?

RisingStar

Banned
Oct 8, 2019
Memorable transformation scene and just absolutely absurd as an idea. Ruined within the same arc and forever useless because of how shit GT and Super are.

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Useless ass form in hindsight, ruined by the lack of eyebrows forever

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
I like when they leaned into how unwieldly it was. Like originally it didn't seem to work all that well with a mortal body. Once it just became another SS form it's like eh.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
The long hair gets in the way when fighting ( and airplane turbines) and the no eyebrows is not flattering.

red mage

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 17, 2023
Goku could have wrecked Majin Vegeta at any second but he held back because he wanted to preserve his ego 😂

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
It's literally pointless

Toriyama created the form just so it could do absolutely nothing. I feel like he had to have done that on purpose lol

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Did anyone ever win a fight with this form? Aside from form 1 Janemba in the movie?

Rendered useless in the same arc when it's revealed Gohan can go beyond it without transforming, and confirmed in Super when Vegeta pushed SS2 past it.

Great debut scene, little else.

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
It was barely even used. Gohan and the Z sword as well. Just a mistake like the whole Buu saga.

red mage

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 17, 2023
Rendered useless in the same arc when it's revealed Gohan can go beyond it without transforming, and confirmed in Super when Vegeta pushed SS2 past it.

It's basically like the bulky SSJ1 forms from the Cell Saga. "SSJ3" is kind of a misnomer in that respect (since the bulky SSJ1 forms didn't get their own numbers unlike SSJ3).

wisdom0wl

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
completely worthless transformation lol

should've just capped the blonde transformations to SSJ2.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's ragged on way more than it should.

Super Saiyan 1 and 2 look WAY too similar. I dig 3 to be honest.

-JD-

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It had the best faulconer score for a SSJ transformation/ascendance scene.

Oct 30, 2017
It lacked the moment where it was decisive to a fight. It's kind of cool. But not super relevant.

SSJ1 was what elevated Goku over Frieza. Trunks over Frieza. And Vegeta over Android 19.

SSJ2 was what elevated Gohan over Cell.

SSJ3 basically put Goku on par with Fat Buu and Kid Buu. And Gotenks still wasn't at Adult Buu's level.

SSJ4 brought about decisive victory over Baby and a number of Shenrons in GT.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Superfluous and didn't achieve anything. Vegeta base SSJ2 was enough to hold off Buu until fat Buu came. Kid Buu was robbed.

Heresy but I liked SSJ4 better (sans Vegeta and the stupid machine).

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Great form but poorly underutilized and overshadowed due to the fact it was introduced halfway with the last arc in DBZ and then succeeded quickly by SSG in Super and SS4 in GT

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
That's because before SSJ3 was a thing, SSJ2 wasn't actually "2", it was just meant to be Gohan's true SSJ form.
Yeah it's funny how obsessed with forms we all became but in the original series they don't even call it 2 except for one panel to give context to 3 lol. It was just a juiced-up SS and they pretty much only use that during the last arc.

INST

Nov 2, 2017
Still one of the greatest transformation scenes in anime

Which is kinda weird because emotionally it had literally nothing. Goku pulled that shit out of his ass but damn the scene itself was dope. I think if it had any type of character / emotional beat within the story it could have been up there with the best SSJ transformations.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
It was a cool introduction, but overall, worst SSJ level. The massive ki consumption makes it almost impractical to use. And in Dragon Ball, you can't beat the villain in a short time. It also loses points because of the lack of eyebrows.

Anth0ny

Oct 25, 2017
it's fucking cool, looked great in every episode of dbz and movie it was featured in

dragon-ball-z-goku.gif

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Which is kinda weird because emotionally it had literally nothing. Goku pulled that shit out of his ass but damn the scene itself was dope. I think if it had any type of character / emotional beat within the story it could have been up there with the best SSJ transformations.

At the time it was just hype suddenly realizing Goku had come up with an even stronger form

Seik

Jan 5, 2023
Québec City
For the brand new form that it was, it had very little impact in the series as a whole. It's weird tbh.

As for the look, it's fucking awesome and I always liked it, pretty much better than any palette swaps we got out of Super.

Jan 20, 2023
never watched DBZ so all i know of SSJ is that they go blonde and become more powerful

and in that sense its equivalent to super sonic, and its super silly, and it owns

what do the different levels look like?

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
I think it looks good on Gotenks, but I don't care about the form on Goku personally. I feel like the power scaling never took the time to show how strong SSJ3 is compared to 1 or 2. When Gohan goes SSJ2, you see how much stronger it is than SSJ1. SSJ3 Goku I never really felt like he was fighting against Buu better than SSJ2 Vegeta did. Gotenks arguably had bigger W's against Super Buu before he went SSJ3 as well.

Skeeter49

I wish Jim Ryan would eat me
Oct 25, 2017
never watched DBZ so all i know of SSJ is that they go blonde and become more powerful

and in that sense its equivalent to super sonic, and its super silly, and it owns

what do the different levels look like?
SSJ1 is the blonde hair.
SSJ2 on some looks exactly the same hair style wise, but on others look different. Gohan's SSJ2 hair is different than his SSJ1 hair, but Goku's is exactly the same. The main difference is there's electricity around the person.
SSJ3 their hair grows longer and they lose their eyebrows.
SSJ4 is tied to their Oozaru form, or their Great Ape form. They become hairier all over their body and that's the main difference.
Super Saiyan God they have a slimmer body/ red hair/eyes.
SSB or Super saiyan God super saiyan, they get Blue hair/ eyes.
Legendary Super Saiyan they get Green hair. Only two people in the series have been able to achieve this form.

Every SSJ form besides the Legendary form is a multiplier, so just having hte forms isn't enough, you have to have a strong power level without the SSJ forms for the SSJ forms to be multiplied enough to be of value.

There's also Ultra Instinct/ Gohan Beast, but it's unclear if tehy're technically super saiyan forms, as one is when you learn to dodge and attack without thinking/ the other one is a buff to Gohan's Ultimate form which isn't a SSJ form.

OP
OP
PhoenixAKG

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
I think it's ragged on way more than it should.

Super Saiyan 1 and 2 look WAY too similar. I dig 3 to be honest.

Especially for Vegeta. Like you can never tell when Vegeta is SSJ or SSJ2

Superfluous and didn't achieve anything. Vegeta base SSJ2 was enough to hold off Buu until fat Buu came. Kid Buu was robbed.

Heresy but I liked SSJ4 better (sans Vegeta and the stupid machine).

I think it looks good on Gotenks, but I don't care about the form on Goku personally. I feel like the power scaling never took the time to show how strong SSJ3 is compared to 1 or 2. When Gohan goes SSJ2, you see how much stronger it is than SSJ1. SSJ3 Goku I never really felt like he was fighting against Buu better than SSJ2 Vegeta did. Gotenks arguably had bigger W's against Super Buu before he went SSJ3 as well.

Not really. Vegeta got his shit wrecked and only got a few hits in due to Buu not taking him seriously