• Numbers

Votes: 114 16.9%
  • Peeps

Votes: 4 0.6%
  • Something else

Votes: 22 3.3%

• Total voters
Mar 30, 2019
I kinda knew it was pips but looked up the etymology anyway. Didn't know it applied to dominoes (makes sense), playing card spots, and the diamond shape segment of a pineapple.

FFNB

Associate Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I actually never knew they had an official name! XD XD

I always called them "numbers" since that's what they tended to represent, and a lot of various game manuals with dice usually referred to them as numbers (ie, "have each player roll a dice. the player with the highest number goes first"). lol

HTupolev

Oct 27, 2017
Spheroid depressions infilled with color contrasting the surrounding planar surface.

I guess I'd call them dots, but I usually don't refer to them at all. What am I, a die manufacturer?

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If asked? Pips.
In every day? Dots. Too many people didn't know what pips were and got confused when I used the word.

MaxAugust

Jan 28, 2018
Dots.

Dominoes, however, have spots.

Both could technically be pips I guess, but I'd never say it. In my mind pips are mostly for something you might lose. Like hit points in a video or board game.

refusi0n1

Oct 27, 2017
Dots on ice?

Dippin' dots
KE7iy.jpeg

Oct 29, 2017
Florida
I know they're called 'pips' but I just call them 'dots' or 'numbers' because I imagine a decent chunk of people wouldn't know what you meant if you said 'pips'.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
They're called pips, I know, but I wouldn't call them that if I had reason to reference them. Because I wouldn't be confident whomever I was speaking to would know that. So I'd still say "dots".

Nell

Oct 27, 2017
Number.

I would ask when playing a game with dice: what number on the dice did you get?

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
I don't. I've heard the word for them is pips before I think, but on the spot I would probably call the dots.

Vaenyr

▲ Legend ▲
Mar 16, 2019
In Germany they're called "Augen", which means eyes. Never thought about what to call them in English.