I call those extra buttons:

• On PlayStation R1, R2, L1, and L2

• On Xbox: Right Bumper, Right Trigger, Left Bumper, Left Trigger

• On PlayStation: Right Bumper, Right Trigger, Left Bumper, Left Trigger

• On Xbox: R1, R2, L1 and L2

Results are only viewable after voting.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
ZL and ZR don't bother me, since they're just the evolved form of the Gamecube's weird Z button

the real question is why the Gamecube controller only had one of them

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Suppose there was a new platform (Stadia, Luna, etc) that had the same controller form factor, but you hadn't seen the label on the buttons yet and you were trying to tell somebody to press the index finger buttons (literally happened to me recently).
What is the first name that pops in your head? That is what OP is asking.
8c92cec241a362631cb5bdf37d913f5a.jpg

Jaypah

Oct 27, 2017
I call the PS buttons by their name. I call the Xbox buttons left/right trigger & left/right button.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
If I'm referring to all of those buttons collectively, I say "bumpers and triggers." Before that, when triggers weren't a thing yet, I said "shoulder buttons."

If I'm referring to specific buttons, I generally call them by their short name on whatever platform I'm referring to. For example, on Xbox I call them LB, RB, LT, and RT. On PlayStation I call them L1, R1, L2, and R2. On Nintendo I generally say L, R, and left/right trigger, because wtf is a "zee arr." (Yes, I know it's called that because they expanded on N64/GameCube/Wii Remote's Z-trigger; I just think it sounds ridiculous.)

I've never spoken "Left Bumper" or "Right Bumper," and I've never seen anyone else speak those words either. That's at least as ridiculous as saying "zee arr," if not more so. So I didn't vote in the poll lol.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Same, they're bumpers/triggers to me regardless of platform.

The last time I told my roommate to press R1 she clicked the stick, we just call them bumpers.
This. R1 and 2 is just too confusing. Even for me sometimes while I've been playing PlayStation for years. By saying bumper or trigger it's immediately clear which button you mean.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Bumpers and triggers. US. It's a common pattern across controllers regardless of exact labels. I gave up learning the "correct" names of controller buttons years ago. They all basically follow the same template. Brand-specific labels introduce unnecessary confusion.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone who refers to the triggers as L2 and R2 and not "left trigger and right trigger" is a narc. I'm sorry.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Yup.

"Bumper" wasn't a thing until Xbox 360. Can usually tell that someone is young if they're using that naming convention.
Bumpers aren't triggers. They are distinct inputs. The term "bumper" is good and distinguishes those inputs from others.

It's a descriptive term that does a better job communicating what to press than "L1/L2" possibly can.

Triggers are trigger-shaped. Triggers ideally allow analog input, so that they are pressure-sensitive. Bumpers occupy space on the top edge of a controller, and are not trigger-shaped. They are purely digital inputs.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bumpers aren't triggers. They are distinct inputs. The term "bumper" is good and distinguishes those inputs from others.

It's a descriptive term that does a better job communicating what to press than "L1/L2" possibly can.
Even if that is the case, the term didn't exist until the Xbox 360. Us adults had already been using L1/R1/L2/R2 for over a decade before that console came along. The naming convention was already established.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
LB/RB and L1/R1 by their proper names on their respective controllers. Right Trigger/Left Trigger on both controller.

I have also never referred to clicking the sticks as "L3" or "R3". That just never made sense to me.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
In my head I usually think of them as "back L / R" and "front L / R". Also I think "left / right stick click" instead of L3 / R3.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This "us adults" shit is weird and defensive.
It's meant to show that your perception that bumper/trigger is widespread is flawed. It's mostly just kids who grew up with it that think that. L1/R1/L2/R2 existed long before bumpers and triggers, and we "gave up learning the 'correct' names of controller buttons years ago" (as you say) before the 360 came along. Mostly due to Nintendo's ridiculous naming. By the time the 360 dropped and everyone was college-age or older, L1/L2 was already the standard to avoid confusion.

LinkSlayer64

One Winged Slayer
Jun 6, 2018
Even if that is the case, the term didn't exist until the Xbox 360. Us adults had already been using L1/R1/L2/R2 for over a decade before that console came along. The naming convention was already established.
"Us adults" lmao
Bumper and trigger is just easier and more descriptive terminology, that isn't any harder to say. Plus, I'm a pinball wizard, the term bumper comes naturally.

Additionally, I have never been tripped up by ZL/ZR.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm interchangeable between the R1/R2/L1/L2 and triggers/bumpers schemes across all platforms, including Nintendo. I have never committed Nintendo's proper shoulder button lexicon to memory.

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
I call them by their real names except Xbox start/select equivalents because I am never sure if I'm right. View and Menu?

Bman94

Oct 28, 2017
No matter what platform, I call them all Bumpers and Triggers. I still have to look down at my controller whenever "L2" or "R1" comes up on my screen.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Shoulder buttons. I never adopted bumpers. I have used triggers if I was referring specifically to the larger ones, but I usually just say shoulder buttons, and if I need to be specific, I'll just say the actual name of the button.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Growing up with Nintendo and Sony consoles, I'm more familiar with Sony's double shoulder button naming convention, so everything is R1, R2, L1, and R2. Same goes with pressing the analog sticks for R3 and L3.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
On Xbox and PlayStation I call them what they're called on that system. LB & RB and L1 & R1. On a Nintendo system however the names zL and zR on the lower buttons have never really stuck, it's just a super awkward naming convention. I tend to think of the Nintendo buttons as L & R and then the "triggers" are left trigger and right trigger (despite neither being triggers).

Sticks are always L3 and R3.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
I don't give a fuck if I'm playing on Xbox, it's L1-2 and R1-2.

r1,r2 , etc grew up on playstation in the 90s. not stopping
Yeah, for me the shooting button on every football (soccer) game is Square button thanks to Winning Eleven/PES. My brother plays FIFA on Xbox and he knows what I mean when I say "do a Triangle pass" or whatever.

4 Get!

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 8, 2019
Normally whatever they're labeled. I have used the word "trigger" before, but I honestly don't know if I've ever said "bumper" with regards to a controller. I've also never owned an Xbox, so that could be part of it.

First person shooters are usually why people sometimes say bumper, specifically when this configuration was introduced in Halo:

1358490-layout5_bumper_jumper.png

A lot of other shooters followed suit and started calling it that. Thank goodness it was made because I can't stand having the jump action on a face button.

Brick

Oct 25, 2017
I thought this thread was about what used to be the Start and Select buttons, which I still call Start and Select.

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
I use "bumper/trigger", "shoulder/trigger", and "L1, R1/L2, R2" interchangeably.

Does Nintendo even have an official name for L3 and R3?