• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JimNastics

Jan 11, 2018
In terms of classics, the severed head in Jaws still gets me every time, even though I know it's coming and I set myself for it.

Nov 13, 2017
insidious-patrick-wilson.jpg
Yep!

Oct 27, 2017
One that really got me as a kid is from Independence Day. When they're dissecting the alien, cutting his face and then it suddenly splits open.

Also, the birthday party scene in Signs when the alien comes out of the bushes.

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
It's poor quality, but I remember this jump scare from The Conjuring pretty effective when I saw it in theaters. I think what makes it powerful is the reveal through what's just a fairly subtle tilt of the camera:

This one's great, too because it utilizes no cuts and never obscures the source of the scare - that ramp-up in speed is enough to elicit an "Oh, shit!"

Addleburg

The Fallen
Nov 16, 2017
And I guess, unsurprisingly, while all of the scares posted here so far are good, they're not scary when viewed through slowed down gifs, no sound or music, poorly compressed videos, and without the benefit of the long build-up of dread you experience over the course of the film leading up to these moments. :p

orava

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 10, 2019
The recent Invisible Man movie had some really good ones. I'm so glad that i managed to stay spoiler free for it.

Nov 27, 2017
I remember there was this image people posted on forums of a living room scene or something, and they said to stare at it and after a few seconds, it would change and you were to post what differences you saw or something like that. Me, being young and new to the internet at the time, fell for this nonsense. Once the jumpscare popped up, I jumped halfway across the room in fright.

Objectively, it's probably one of the ones from movies that people have mentioned in this thread. For me personally, it's probably something similar to this post.

Deleted member 24118

User requested account closure
Oct 29, 2017
I'm surprised nobody mentioned Mann's failed docking scene in Interstellar. It's not a horror film but seeing that in theatres was like holeee shit.

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
The
bathttub
scene in Eternal Darkness on Gamecube got me bad because the game doesn't really have much in the way of jumpscares otherwise.

Last edited:

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
The first Amnesia jumpscare. It builds up the tension for so long, you are in the light (which makes you feel "safe") it's really well done.

(timestamped for 0:40)

I can't find any good videos on it. It's also hard to explain since the magic of games is that they are interactive, making you SO MUCH MORE engrained with what is going on.

SasaBassa

Oct 25, 2017
No love for Bilbo right at the beginning of fellowship? That motherfucker got me. Seared into my brain.

Tuorom

Oct 30, 2017

This is it for me.

I fell into it by my friend and he made me wear headphones and he was like wait turn the volume up. God what an idiot I was, so gullible.

I threw the headphones at the monitor lol

But then I watched as another friends mom came down and did it, and laughed at her being scared by it lol

Moppeh

Oct 28, 2017
mulholland-drive-diner-scene-1108x0-c-default.jpg

Mulholland Drive

That's the first one to come to mind. It's no longer scary for me but it is still very unsettling. I remember watching Mulholland Drive with my sister and this scene fucked her up big time.

Argento's Deep Red has a pretty good one with a doll or something. It's been a while, I should revisit it.