• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What do you like about Era?

• The community

Votes: 323 31.4%
  • The purple colour scheme

Votes: 325 31.6%
  • The user oni-link

Votes: 58 5.6%
  • Giftbot

Votes: 78 7.6%
  • When the Era logo changes sometimes

Votes: 206 20.0%
  • Voting for Thor 2: The Dark world, in polls

Votes: 482 46.8%
  • Other (Leave a comment)

Votes: 184 17.9%

• Total voters

p3n

Oct 28, 2017
Made me think. Where this site came from and what it has become recently.

Era fell off as a source of gaming news in the last few years. There are no longer any stories breaking on here. Even the news aggregation has become too selective to the point it is no longer front and center. If this site is your only source of gaming news you currently miss out on a lot of what is happening in this ever growing industry.

Thread quality has hit rock bottom. So many threads consist of OPs with a twitter link (that can't be loaded without tracking) and nothing else. Zero effort. Just be "first". No quality. No insight. Fling shit at a wall and see if it sticks and get the most amount of angry replies.

Gone are the days of SunhiLegend GIFs, CBOAT nonsense, in-depth screenshot comparisons, low poly gynecologists, green arrows depicting sound waves, ZhugeCharts, and experts on japanese culture. The main thing left for me on this site these days is laughing about YouTube-comment-section-quality takes on copy-pasted Twitter rumors dressed as news stories.

Geido

Oct 30, 2017
I like discovering new games because of hidden gems/lttp threads, Thor 2: The Dark World and that Ariana Grande is a Final Fantasy character.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
The community: I love how diverse it is, people who enjoy lots of videogame genres, different consoles or PC, there are users for all platforms, lots of different tastes, and it's possible to talk about everything. Apart of that it's a fun community, with memes, hype fun, and many other stuff. And there is no room for misogynism, fascism, racism, lgbtiphobia,... It's hard to find very open minded forums out there, and Era is one of the few.

Changing the logo depending on the momentum, like videogame characters when E3 is approaching, supporting flags for different sexualities and genre identities, supporting flags for repressed communities

These would not have been possible in other forums unfortunately.

The purple scheme look is awesome.

apart of that, the presence of developers and people working in the industry, along with some popular youtubers and insiders gives it lots of charm, the forum is not serious, and it is at the same time

ultramooz

Oct 27, 2017
Paris, France
I get most, if not all of my video games news from Era. With the death of most of the websites / blogs I liked, and the advent of social media, it's the best way for me to have all the info and discussion in one place.

A majority of Internet websites have become impossible to read with all the ads and horrible formatting - and are cesspools of hateful bigots and morons.

This place is nicer than the rest.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
I found some people on here that really love video games, all types of them, and I've found some of my favorite games of all time through them.

KeRaSh

I left my heart on Atropos
Oct 26, 2017
I basically use it to read about the latest gaming news and rumors.
Also I like my tag.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
good community for the most part, zero tolerance for gg/bigotry in general Lewis me around. lot of older classic gaming forums are a wealth of archived info, but the waning membership can often be a vile cesspool of transphobia/anti blackness etc

lotttttta places looked the other way during gg, and here we are. grateful for a corner that doesn't (its also a trip watching some of the worst folks on twitter/etc moan about this)

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
Sometimes theres news or interesting look backs on games but otherwise it's an incredibly toxic place.

Astrates

Sep 13, 2020
Oh, it's also the only gaming forum that my work filter doesn't block, so there's that too!
That works as a good analogy for me too.

Used to use another well known forum but it just slowly got worse and worse there to the point I didn't really want to click into any threads.

It was like clicking into comments section of a news story post on Facebook.

I may not agree with everyone here (I couldn't vote in round 4 or 5 of the game of the decade as I hadn't played any of them) but at least I feel there's enough respect between members and wider out into the world to want to post

dodmaster

Apr 27, 2019
It's got news before the news and is quite diverse and somewhat inclusive, despite its exclusive threads (which are themselves great sources of news, speculation and drama) and isn't too biased. It will never be GAF though, and that's probably a good thing.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
(Mostly) Zero tolerance for racists, sexists and bigots. I've always found my gaming hobby to be particularly inundated with incel types and far right shitheads. The online community for photography on the other hand doesn't have this same problem to nearly the same extent.

klee123

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much only a few gaming topics and that's it. Considering the us centic demographics of this forum, I'll avoid other topics like the plague.

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
Good site to use as a gaming news aggregator.

Nice, active OTs for most games that are mostly positive/neutral places to chat about games I'm playing, occasionally ask a question and usually get a quick response etc.

Aside from those, it's just like most places on the internet and overly negative, hostile at times and better for one's mental health to not engage too deeply IMO. I've been a lot happier and healthier since I took a long break from online posting and social media and then came back and spend a lot less time and post WAY less, avoid any arguments etc.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I like all the people in the community who know so much about video games than I ever would and that they share it for free. I like purple too, I cannot lie. Orange is better but I like the Purp. I like the strive for inclusiveness and respect and hearing all other voices that aren't white and male - being I am one. Learned more about injustice and hatred and bigotry here than the other places I lurk, which is my fault for not looking them out, but learning is here and you can learn by being part of the community if you are open to it, of course.

RedshirtRig

Nov 14, 2017
I like it because it keeps me informed on games and the going-ons of the industry. Also because it is interesting to see different takes on games.

Inki

Oct 30, 2017
I typically come here for my gaming news. Plus I love the community discussions about games I'm interested in (and industry peoples coming into help shed light and/or adding to the conversations).

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I don't want to discuss stuff in a focused fandom Discord, Reddit or whatever else. I feel that discussing a game series or console in a place that's solely filled with fans of that product is just kinda awful and uninteresting.

I appreciate that this forum has a broad focus. You get to hop into threads on a whole variety of topics and even discover new games or media through people's recommendation threads.
As well, I appreciate that bigotry is banned.

Oct 12, 2020
I have come to appreciate the fact that console warrior types don't quite have the free reign to conduct their nonsense here as they do other prominent (or formerly prominent) gaming discussion communities.

mogster7777

Oct 27, 2017
It's good for news. It's the ONLY reason I visit. but other than that i find it's incredibly toxic, lots of dogpiling (one person keeps quoting another one until that person has been witch hunted to death) and the mods are on a power trip all the time I find.
For me it doesn't do a whole lot else other than getting info on games and what is coming out.
For normal discussion about games or whatever it's almost nigh on impossible to even speak or say anything before being warned or banned.
if I could find an alternative with news etc that has it breaking as fast or leaks etc like here, I would jump ship straight away.

Oct 27, 2017
Given that Morrigan isn't even a mod at this point and no one's going to litigate over a thread that happened at least a year+ ago, it doesn't even really matter. Other than now just being attacked and I guess probably banned. I posted about my family, she absolutely said something to me to make me feel like she was calling me a liar and there wasn't anything more I could do about it at the time other than feel completely unwelcome here and it's persisted ever since. I've done my best to not interact with her instead.

Although "making accustations" after being publicly prompted by a mod for information in a bullish matter is some weird entrapment stuff too. I didn't have to say anything more and I chose to because I'm an open person.

It would be easy enough to quote the post(s). Unfortunately I do remember the thread and things being handled not well by staff in it, but not this - it would have been easy enough to just show.

This isn't entrapment either, if anything another member's name was brought up unnecessarily, not yours. Not sure why this thread is being used to call individuals out negatively.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
People using a thread asking what users like about the forum to go on a rant about how toxic the place is do appreciate the irony I hope.

Griffith

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly one of my favorite things on era are the titles for OTs, they are an underappreciated piece of art.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I have some old friends who read this site who I really don't want to disappoint by leaving as I know they need the entertainment sometimes.

You are all in my thoughts 💋

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
The transparency and its not-for-profit identity

most of its members or liked ones from the recent past before the banhammering

cfer50

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne Australia
I come here for reported gaming news with the opinion taken out. The community has a zero tolerance for hate or bigotry which i like too.

Hope our new owners already know this, or at least find this thread helpful lol

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
The logo changing.

In seriousness, where else are you gonna get a progressive forum the size of resetera? Also maybe my standards are low but the community is pretty good.