• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What is your choice?

• Arkham Asylum

• Arkham City

Results are only viewable after voting.
May 15, 2019
I enjoy Arkham City more for the upgrades it made to the combat and stealth systems, as well as the robust challenge mode, but it's kind of a DMC4 situation where almost everything it did was surpassed by Arkham Knight, so outside of a vacuum it has less appeal than Asylum does.

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
City is lightyears ahead of Asylum gameplay wise. The difference is far too great for Asylum to be anywhere near the same level as City imo.

zeldor711

Feb 11, 2020
I'm gonna go Asylum - plenty of upgrades from Asylum to City, but I love the atmosphere in Asylum way too much

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Asylum by far, City was always one of the weakest in the series for me, I didn't like the open world transition overall

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Asylum for me. City was great and all, but I just liked the experience in Asylum more.

I'm trying not to say the phrase "tighter package" since it's been said enough when comparing these games, lol.

Boy

Apr 24, 2018
I enjoyed Arkham asylum more. Mostly because of the level design. The overall game felt more focused and cohesive which gave it great pacing compared to AC

Last edited:

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
City was great but Asylum was better written and the gameplay/level design/environment was focused on with what it had.

City jumped into open world-like and featured a lot of empty space, it felt like a chore just to get from point A to B.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
Arkham Asylum because of that Metroidvanian level design and the overall pacing. It also blew me away back then. I didn't feel Arkham City tbh.

Dec 16, 2017
I played both as they came out and voted Asylum. There may be a biased because of how awesome the novelty of a great Batman game was, but I think I preferred the Metroidvania aspects over the more open city.

NerevaRising

Oct 5, 2018
I used to be a "asylum is the best Arkham game" person until I actually replayed the games, now I'm a city stan

Arkham Asylum because of that Metroidvanian level design and the overall pacing. It also blew me away back then. I didn't feel Arkham City tbh.
Everyone always says that asylum is a 3d metroidvania but I just don see it, its a super linear game and the only reason for going back to previous areas is to pick up riddler trophies and other collectibles.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
City by farrrr. I replayed both recently and I gave up on Asylum probably 60% through. It's an awesome concept and for the time was a revelation, but the combat and stealth sections are so rudimentary compared to what followed and it's not like the story is particularly great to make up for it.

Was worried City might share the same fate for me but I had a blast replaying it. The mechanical complexity and variety is dialed up just enough, there are a couple solid boss fights, and the open world is one of my favorites due to the density of activities and points of interest. Love how they do side quests in the game, stumbling on stuff like the Mad Hatter quest of the Zsaz phone calls really captures the feel of Batman.

And most surprisingly of all I'm in the middle of replaying Knight and I'm appreciating it way more than I did at the time. Insane levels of polish and detail really make it pop, even if there is a bit too much filler activity in it than the far more curated activities of City.

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
Asylum is one of like, 3 games that I got all the achievements in on 360

I had to put City down more than once, and only finished it once

City is a great game, but Asylum did everything it did juuuuust the right amount

Niklel

Prophet of Regret
Aug 10, 2020
City is a contender to be my favourite game ever, so my vote will always go to it. Asylum is a masterpiece too, however.

Phinor

Oct 27, 2017
Asylum is kind of perfect. City improved and added new features successfully without going overboard with content which never happens these days but Asylum came first and remains my favourite.

TigerPhin

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like City has better/evolved versions of the fighting and especially predator rooms but the experience of Asylum story and settings-wise was ultimately more satisfying. Note that I played City -> Origins -> Asylum which is understandably weird.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Asylum feels like the perfect game to play and finish over the weekend, at night, lights off, just you feeling like Batman and the Joker teasing you all night. For ambiance alone, I prefer Asylum, but City is a great game as well.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
Asylum is much more exciting and dense, the Metroidvania structure is great. And this is with me playing City first, which spoils most upgrades in Asylum. Had I played Asylum first, it would have been more significantly ahead. Even so, the better game design of Asylum is very much apparent. City is still a very enjoyable game though.

RockyBalboa_

Apr 28, 2018
Asylum had the better story and a tighter package.

City was a good "upgrade" but the open world nature didn't help the story along... it made it more disjointed.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Arkham City is one of the best games ever made, with a fantastic "open-world" design which is really just a big 3D metroidvania map.

The traversal with the cape and grappling hook flowing into each other was mindblowing to me at the time. Mr.Freeze boss fight was also a highlight as well.

I played Asylum after City and enjoyed it quite a bit, and City obviously wouldn't exist as it is without Asylum really nailing the foundations first, so I appreciate it for that.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
City. I enjoyed the exploration and making my own little cool moments in the open world. I liked asylum but it felt so damn claustrophobic for being a batman game. I understand that was the vibe they were trying to get and they nailed it but I enjoy having freedom to glide and run around.

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played them in ages but I really enjoyed the improvements Arkham City brought about.

DeadDuck144

One Winged Slayer
Jan 16, 2020
My vote was Asylum until my last playthrough of the games (maybe my third overall). City has more replay value to me, along with better feeling combat and traversal. They're both great games though. Origins and Knight are too, though a bit less novel.

HemoGoblin

Nov 3, 2017
My gut feeling is city is better. But the single metroidvania esque environment of the asylum is deeply missed. Asylum has some inconsistent gameplay I feel like. But it's been a long time

evilromero

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Asylum because it felt fresh and had less tedious fighting situations unlike City which felt way more tedious to me.

SilentEagle

Jan 9, 2021
Asylum has better atmosphere. It gave me chills back in 2009. The rest is better in City. Still best licensed game ever made.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I liked City a lot better. Less scarecrow segments, more freedom, slightly better story, the combat more refined.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
I was always team Asylum, but after replaying both games back to back... Yeah, City is just better. I mean, Asylum has a better atmosphere and story setup, but City is better in every other metric, especially gameplay and polish.

And no, Asylum is no Metroidvania, not even close.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
City. But ask me another day and I may say Asylum. They're real damn close, they just do different things.

Primal Sage

Virtually Real
Nov 27, 2017
Asylum

I love the metroidvania aspect and that is much better suited to a less open game. Both a great mind you, but I want something more focused like AA.

Also the whole experiencing the lore through finding things in museums is so well-realised here. And Joker's loudspeaker messages are hilarious.

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017
I enjoyed Asylum but I remember it being very short and leaving me wanting more. City was everything Asylum was but a lot more of it.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Huh, I'm honestly shocked. I thought I was going to be in the minority when it comes to choosing Asylum.

City got the better reviews for sure.

Final boss aside, there was something more magical about Asylum (Probably it being the first in the series) and I loved the cozier setting.

Phokal

Oct 25, 2017
WI
Asylum had the better world design that made you traverse and feel like Batman. The gliding was always fun but not very Batman feeling, and you'd get spotted constantly which felt very un-batman-like.