• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What is your choice?

• Arkham Asylum

• Arkham City

Results are only viewable after voting.

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
Asylum is 3d Metroidvania perfected. City just threw any and all level design out the window and made the riddler into a total cancer with his garbage littering the entire city. Knight actually had a ton of segmented sections that brought back some of the Asylum feel.

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I always felt that the first game had a better sense of cohesion to its plot -- the setting being within Arkham Asylum proper just kinda made it make sense how you were encountering so much of Batman's rogue gallery in sequence. I always hated that the final boss ended up being a roided up monster-Joker but everything else hit very nicely in terms of setting and atmosphere.

I still think Arkham City had a good enough storyline despite kinda making some contrivances to expand its setting, and additionally the gameplay expansions that came along with City made things feel even better than Asylum too.

So I personally prefer City on the whole, but Asylum always had the more cohesive setting/atmosphere to me.

Vonocourt

Oct 25, 2017
City.

Asylum feels like a prototype going back to it with how slowly it ramps up the complexity of the combat and predator sections.

Also the "tight" level design is really overstated, it's made of three hubs with bespoke levels that spring off them. The only real difference beyond the size of City's hub is that it's contiguous.

amara

Nov 23, 2021
Calling Asylum a metroidvania is a huge reach. The progression is completely linear

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Asylum for the atmosphere

City for the gameplay

If I had to choose? City. There's just way more variety in terms of combat and content overall.

StraySheep

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Oct 26, 2017
I kind of wonder if your investment in Batman is a factor in preferring City over Asylum. Because iirc City throws a lot more characters and lore at you, and you are getting more of that Batman fantasy, but as a non-superhero guy and casual Batman fan I really preferred the game design and atmosphere of Asylum.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
City overall, easily. It's among my all-time favorites. Asylum is pretty close behind because of the level design and atmosphere though... It's just so damn cool being there and going through the different areas as you progress.

Love both so dearly though. Wouldn't be nearly as into comics as I am now if not for Asylum.

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
I only played City last year for the first time and I thought it aged poorly. I haven't played Asylum in years but it's the only Arkham game I've really liked

Arkanim94

Oct 27, 2017
If I want a batman game I can finish in two days, asylum.
But city it's just way more fun to play.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
Every single aspect of the game is worse in Asylum.

Combat? Better in City. Easier to use items, better flow, better...everything.
Traversal? Better in City. Flying was actually expanded.
Level design? Better in City - it's *massively* wasted in Asylum. Like, genuinely, nothing happens with the so called "Metroidvania" aspect.
Predator? Better in City. Hugely expanded, with far more patterns, interesting setups, workable gadgets, and guard evolutions.
Bosses? Better in City. Night and day, honestly. Asylum has absolute trash bosses, whereas City has some of the best in the series.
Sidequests? Better in City. So much better. Trophies and riddles were better, and the side villains endlessly creative.

Asylum is far and away the worst in the series - seriously, just try to play them all again and claim otherwise. Just try. And yes, I played Asylum first. It's fine, but easily, easily outclassed.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
Asylum had the best level design and story. City expands the scope but it doesn't make for a better game.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
A recent replay of City had me come around on it, but I always return to Asylum more because of how...tight the levels all feel.

There's too much fluff spread out throughout City.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
City for the gameplay, Asylum for the pacing. (Origins for the boss fights) Didn't care for the way either game concluded.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
They're both incredible games, and ultimately pretty different. I played them back to back recently, and as a huge Batman fan, I appreciate the greatly increased freedom in City - navigating a city is very much what Batman is about. Knight is really the ultimate Batman simulator, it's just let down by worse side missions and the tank sections which feel off. If that stuff had had more time in the oven (and really the tank sections removed altogether), it would be the greatest Batman game ever made (acknowledging that Asylum may indeed be the better game all around).

I still wish Rocksteady had gotten to do a new current gen entry with a fully functional city with citizens doing shit and cars roaming the streets. We never really got there with the Arkham series.

God, put a BTAS skin over everything while you're at it 😑

martin-ivanov-gotham-city-martin-ivanov.jpg

Huh, I'm honestly shocked. I thought I was going to be in the minority when it comes to choosing Asylum.
Era loves the Metroidvania aspect of Asylum

Chumunga64

Jun 22, 2018
City.

I see a lot of people push the metroidvania thing for Asylum but aside from more riddler trophies, there was no real reason to go back. City's tight open world had so many cool secrets and locales

Carnation

May 26, 2022
Arkham City for sure. It was one of best open world experiences for me because of how it focused it was. Asylum's atmosphere was great but the story was kinda generic, very safe Batman story and I didn't like the final boss at all. City's story was way more interesting for me. City also improved almost everything from combat, bosses to exploration and design. Asylum walked so City could run.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
AC is the peak of the series IMO.

The map was just the right size and the game was still as tight as the first despite being a bit less linear.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
City by far. Fighting a Bane-venom-monster version of the Joker at the end is not what I want from a Batman story lol.

brenobnfm

Sep 28, 2019
Asylum is a tidy package, great game. City is too ambitious for its own good, the open world didn't suit the gameplay loop at all.

Gelf

Oct 27, 2017
City may have better gameplay and bosses(well at least it has one good boss) but I still pick Asylum because of nearly anything involving Scarecrow. And it just has better pacing in progression and when it introduces new gadgets. City has that open world issue where your supposed to be in a desperate race against time, but you not really because there's a billion other things calling for your attention.

Asylum feels like Metal Gear Solid 1 but with Batman at times and I love that.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I really disliked that the map in City (unless I'm totally misremembering) was a big 'U' so you couldn't go across it without repeatedly doubling back. And I felt Asylum was basically perfect insofar as atmosphere and lore went. I'd go Asylum, even if City still had a lot of good stuff in it.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver
Asylum was tighter with some amazing highs, but the shitty bossfights really got in the way

City was very much trying to recapture that magic, in a fairly contrived way, but was more consistent overall.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
Impossible to pick. Asylum is up there with the best of Dark Souls in terms of awesome 3D level design. City is usually more fun to play. But does that make it better? Asylum is such a lean experience. I think they are different enough to be complementary.

Agent_J

Oct 30, 2017
Knight has always been my favorite, and it's still my most preferred replay when I'm craving a Batman experience

NaikoGames

Aug 1, 2022
City for sure.

Asylum was a first great experience (it also revolutionaized the hero genre dont get me wrong) but is nowhere near a clever enough Metroidvania to replace how fun was the map of City

It's tough.

Asylum is the best "Batman Simulator" but it has poor boss battles and a sucky finale.

City has superior bosses and a great finale, but much less on-the-ground atmosphere. However gliding around as Batman and lurking on buildings is the part of Batman Simulation missing from Asylum.

They form a dynamic duo.

Kick13

Apr 1, 2022
City. The only thing I miss in city is the throw move. I don't see any reason to play asylum since city is similar but with major additions to the gameplay.