Preferred Bi-Han identity?

• Sub-Zero

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • Noob Saibot

Votes: 127 65.8%

• Total voters

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
So Bi-Han from Mortal Kombat has two main identities throughout the series. In terms of appearance, gameplay, lore and other factors which identity do you prefer?

Sub-Zero:

latest

Noob Saibot:

latest

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I've been a Kuai Liang fan ever since MK2 and 3... I think Bi-Han sucks.

So Noob, I guess.

Cool in MK1 that Kuai Liang is Scorpion now from a spectator standpoint, but I did used to main Kuai Liang Sub-Zero and kinda hate Bi-Han's personality under the mantle. I miss tough-but-honorable Sub. Again, I like witnessing Kuai as Scorpion but not into actually PLAYING Scorpion.

Nov 8, 2017
My enthusiasm for a Mortal Kombat game has nothing to do with anybody's identity and is instead strictly based on how cool Sub Zero and Scorpion look.

Noob is a character I like, because he's also cool. But if you told me that in the new universe Sub Zero was Liu Kang's nephew Jimmy Kang and Noob Saibot was Rowdy Roddy Piper (the man, from real life), it would have absolutely no impact on anything.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Noob Saibot because while the origin of the name is cute, how it comes out and the fact that they stuck with then and now is so wonderfully stupid.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Ed Boon
John Tobias

Both co-created Mortal Kombat and Noob Saibot is both of their last names backwards lol. Ed Boon snuck it in back in those days when he pretty much did all of the programming.
They used to do weird shit like this all the time back in the day. I love it. Ermac was added after an MK1 or MK2 rumor got around that Red Ninja would sometime show up due to a glitch with the error message "Error Macro" in the name field. Rain is literally just a Prince pun. Blaze from the 3D era was the fan-name of the fiery character in the back of the pit level. Skarlet was a rumored character in MK2 as well, I believe.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
They used to do weird shit like this all the time back in the day. I love it. Ermac was added after an MK1 or MK2 rumor got around that Red Ninja would sometime show up due to a glitch with the error message "Error Macro" in the name field. Rain is literally just a Prince pun. Blaze from the 3D era was the fan-name of the fiery character in the back of the pit level. Skarlet was a rumored character in MK2 as well, I believe.

Yup! Retronauts did a fantastic episode recently on MK 2/3 where the author of Long Live Mortal Kombat (book) talked about some of that stuff. It's cool how fast and loose game development used to be for big games.

RavenK92

Nov 3, 2020
Back in MK3 Noob was my main character, so it makes me sad whenever Noob isn't in a MK game. So Noob

Gwarm

Nov 13, 2017
Ed Boon
John Tobias

Both co-created Mortal Kombat and Noob Saibot is both of their last names backwards lol. Ed Boon snuck it in back in those days when he pretty much did all of the programming.
Ohhhh I knew that. I thought you meant there was some sinister storyline reason for the name later on. I'm also an out of touch old who doesn't even understand the premise of the thread so forgive me.

I assume it's related to how the MK1 and MK2 or MK3 Subs were actually brothers or something.

timedesk

Oct 27, 2017
Noob Saibot is the cooler identity for him, but Noob has never actually done anything interesting in the lore. Bi-Han as Sub Zero is more interesting for the story.

Scrappy-Fan92

Jan 14, 2021
Yes, Noob Saibot is playable in the SNES and Genesis versions of UMK3.

As for which title I prefer for Bi-Han, probably Noob, even if he does more as Sub-Zero.

Vee

Oct 27, 2017
My enthusiasm for a Mortal Kombat game has nothing to do with anybody's identity and is instead strictly based on how cool Sub Zero and Scorpion look.

Noob is a character I like, because he's also cool. But if you told me that in the new universe Sub Zero was Liu Kang's nephew Jimmy Kang and Noob Saibot was Rowdy Roddy Piper (the man, from real life), it would have absolutely no impact on anything.
I honestly don't care who is behind the ninja mask.

Edgy Sub and Emo Sub are both just Sub.

100% this, I like MK for being a stupid goofy magic world and if it's one set characters whose writing never stuck out as interesting it's like any of the ninjas. Hell as a kid I liked liu kang because red was my favorite color and fire was cool. I used to main him solely from childhood obligation but then I had an epiphany! Mans was so dam boring lol

UshiromiyaEva

Aug 22, 2018
I prefer Sub-Zero as a hero and it's one of the only things that bugs me about the world being reset. I liked his bromance with Smoke and/or Cyrax and I feel like he's just going to kill one or the other in this timeline...

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The best Sub-Zero is asshole Sub-Zero.

Bi-Han Sub forever. Resist turning into Noob as long as possible.

JoeInky

Oct 25, 2017
I prefer sub to be a good guy so I prefer sub to be Kuai-Liang

Bi-Han works better as Noob and I think it's just a cooler story for a character, killed by scorpion who's been deceived by quan chi into thinking sub killed his family when it was really quan chi, only for quan chi to go and resurrect Bi-Han as a revenant and have them both under his command

I also really liked good guy cyber sub too

SilentStorm

Apr 14, 2019
I assume it's related to how the MK1 and MK2 or MK3 Subs were actually brothers or something.
Still brothers, just MK11 had a villain that was the keeper of time and she tried to reset the timeline and everyone fought for that to not happen...and failed, Liu Kang did manage to kill Kronika but by then time had gone backwards so he steps back into a new world, and the events leading to him facing the keeper of time made him a God like Raiden and thus he decided to become the protector of the new Earthrealm.

Everyone was still born and Liu Kang admitted he doesn't have the power to stop that from happening, but they are different and it's treated kinda like a reboot, Liu Kang being from the last timeline still remembering everything.

There is no clan for Scorpion, thus who would be the 2nd Sub-Zero before was now born with fire powers unlike his elder brother, the two have a fall out and Scorpion goes on to form his own clan.

So there is only one Sub, the original...and his brother is now Scorpion, even better, the endings show the new Scorpion meeting an orphaned kid version of the original Scorpion and deciding to train him.

The Subs and Scorpion are one big difference, another is that Shao Kahn never conquered anything, he was born as a weak sickly boy and needed to train really hard to get strong, and is a general in Outworld...with plans of rebellion, taking over and starting a conquest on other realms.