• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What is your choice?

• Dead Space 1

• Dead Space 2

Results are only viewable after voting.
Oct 25, 2017
It's basically asking do you like Alien or Aliens?

Personally I prefer Alien, so DS1.

Both of them are still excellent games

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
Dead Space (2023) > Dead Space 2 >>>Dead Space (2008)

Compared to the original version, even though DS2 is more dramatic, more story focused, has more action and crazy set pieces, has fucking Ellie Langford, etc, it's still a fundamentally more suspenseful and scary game than DS1 (just the part with the murderous AI and logs from the watchman going insane is scarier than all of DS1 put together). The remake of DS1 however ratcheted things up amazingly well in a lot of areas, in terms of atmosphere, scares, gameplay, progression, exploration, etc. I replayed DS2 right after the DS1 remake last year and while DS2 is still sublime, the remake just barely edges it out.

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
I played them pretty much back to back recently (OG 2008). I very much prefer DS1 - better atmosphere, better pacing, and still lots of action but not overly reliant on it. It's cool that DS2 chose to scale things up but I don't enjoy it as much.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
The first game by a long shot. Better level design, better story and that System Shock influence.
I replayed the sequel last week and it's pretty great, but it lacks a lot of what made the first game interesting to me. It does its' own thing and it does it really well though.

SoneaB

Oct 18, 2020
UK
I preferred 1, 2 was fun but felt less like a horror game. Oddly, and probably because I played it co-op, I think I preferred 3 to 2.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
Also, I need to highlight this particular interaction between Isaac and Ellie in DS2:

View: https://youtu.be/7tTKVaIzXio?t=3378

It's one of the most frantically natural and stunning line exchanges I've ever seen in a video game. The way Ellie immediately finishes his thought because she knows the plan and completely disapproves, and the way Isaac nervously loosens up his whole body as he says "Stick around, I'm full of bad ideas." Just beautiful.

Also DS2 has one of the best endings ever in a video game. I never needed DS3, and don't need any remake/reimagining of it, don't need DS4, etc. Because the ending of DS2 is just perfection.

Last edited:

nDesh

The Three Eyed Raven
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do a repeat of GoW 2018 and RDR2, that's a VS that I would like to see but I'm too lazy to make the thread.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
EA saying they arent doing Dead Space 2 Remake is very disappointing, because Dead Space 2 was absolutely amazing.

Dead Space 2 takes it for me.
Dead Space Remake second
Dead Space Original in third.

I was really hoping Dead Space R would lead to Dead Space 2 R and a complete retelling of Dead Space 3.

Fancy Clown

Oct 25, 2017
2 by a fair amount (though the remake boosted my opinion of the original a decent amount). The thing is, Dead Space 1 is not really a survival horror game in my eyes, it's an action horror game. It's centered around combat arenas with mandatory engagements and rewards for killing enemies and it's super linear. There's not really any choices or non-linearity (though again the remake added a bit of this). So from that lens 2 just totally schools of imo. It has better variety of enemies and locations, more interesting encounters, better mechanics, less repetitive pacing, bigger production values, etc.

It's such a shame a remake of 2 doesn't seem to be happening since a remake that elevates it to a similar degree the first one did could put it in all-timer status.

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
I think OG is better because of the atmosphere, being stuck in a ship, but DS2 is a great sequel with more focus on action.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
I replayed the Xbox 360 versions recently and to my surprise, I found that DS2 was much more action-focused than I remembered it to be and had very little horror. The atmosphere just isn't as good. Absolutely a great game but not quite up there with the original.

Saturday

One Winged Slayer - Shinra Employee
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
DS remake > 2 > 1

it is true that DS1's tighter design helps it in some departments such as having a cramped atmosphere and as such a distinct flavour of horror, but we *really* underestimate what DS2 brought to the table.

it brought us

- stronger character dynamics between a cast as opposed to DS1
- the variety of the sprawl is head and shoulders above DS1
- action setpieces
- hallucination setpieces
- stronger lore and a secondary enemy faction fully reinforced in the background of the unitologists

like, do we lose a bit from DS to DS2? yes. but my god, DS2 adds so much.

I will rest on the mountain that if DS2 got a proper remake, it could reach RE4 levels.

It's one of the most frantically natural and stunning line exchanges I've ever seen in a video game. The way Ellie immediately finishes his thought because she knows the plan and completely disapproves, and the way Isaac nervously loosens up his whole body as he says "Still around, I'm full of bad ideas." Just beautiful.

i've said as such on this forum before but the entire ending, especially the exchange between Ellie and Issac with Issac just sitting down to die and Ellie crashing in is such a unironically cinematic bit. *chefs kiss*

Lamine

Nov 28, 2023
The OG is the best horror game I've played. 2 is amazing but nowhere near as scary

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
2 has a lot more going on that I prefer. Such as more variety in locales and just really unique ideas on how to play some of the stuff out.
DS1 is great but it's very restricted in that regard. You've basically seen it all pretty early on in comparison.

amara

Nov 23, 2021
I don't love Dead Space 1 as a horror game. The encounters start becoming routine and it eliminates any spookiness for me. So as an action game, it goes to 2

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
The first one, the second one is easier to play since it isn't so scary but I prefer the first one in pretty much everything.

Zemoco

Jan 12, 2021
2 is a better for the first half, but 1 is better overall.

2 has just some absolute nonsense story wise , and the latter half of 2 is just full of horribly placed monster conga lines.

"Smart people can understand the visions of the marker."

I'm not saying 2 doesn't have absolute kino, but I was very disappointment in it overall after coming from 1.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
Before the remake I would have said 2, but now it's the remake of 1. Just an incredible game with the best location in survival horror since the Spencer Mansion.

Oct 26, 2017
I preferred 2 to 1, but I feel like without the context of playing 1 first and reliving those moments in 2, they'd be about equal.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Dead Space 2 here, mainly because of how well it controls in comparison to the original. If 1 controlled as well 2, I'd prefer 1 no question.

And yeah, I know the remake is kind of that, but I bought it on PC so it's not what with the stutter all over the place.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
1 is a the better horror game. 2 has much better gameplay. You have a mini build system with the weapons which made for a more replayable game

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
DS1 but it has been awhile since I played 2. I just recall feeling a bit let down by it at launch on 360.

Like it was a fine game, but the story took odd turns and I guess I had hoped it focused more on the lore and expanding the world rather than more shenanigans with the main character. Evil Within had that same issue with its sequel for me.

Resident Evil always was smarter in how its sequels focused on new characters and perspectives giving the world building more to entice fans, selectively considering how returning characters can offer something new to that larger canvas, not just retread some personal plight.

As a game DS2 did offer a lot of improvements though, but overall my satisfaction was dampened compared to how inspired by the first I was. Not bad, just Isaac shouldnt have been a continued focus.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Dead Space (2023) > Dead Space 2 >>>Dead Space (2008)

Compared to the original version, even though DS2 is more dramatic, more story focused, has more action and crazy set pieces, has fucking Ellie Langford, etc, it's still a fundamentally more suspenseful and scary game than DS1 (just the part with the murderous AI and logs from the watchman going insane is scarier than all of DS1 put together). The remake of DS1 however ratcheted things up amazingly well in a lot of areas, in terms of atmosphere, scares, gameplay, progression, exploration, etc. I replayed DS2 right after the DS1 remake last year and while DS2 is still sublime, the remake just barely edges it out.
This is how I feel. DS2 was better than DS1 but the remake propelled it above DS2. Even setting the visuals aside, the other changes made to DS1 in the remake push it over DS2 IMO.

Gray

Oct 25, 2017
It used to be 2 without hesitation but after the remake of 1, it's probably it. I love both though.

th1nk

Nov 6, 2017
too bad the Dead Space Remake has traversal stutter or else it would be pretty much perfect.

Oct 27, 2017
I prefer DS1. But they're both really good; I just felt DS2 was a little too action-packed for my tastes. Felt like a horror game by way of Uncharted set-pieces.

bloodgate

Dec 18, 2019
Iowa
I prefer DS1, simply because I had never played anything like it when it was released. I'm looking forward to cracking open my copy of the remake for PS5 once I finish Rebirth.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
DS1 has a better atmosphere. Essential with horror games.