Votes: 101 4.0%
  • GTA

Votes: 236 9.3%
  • FIFA

Votes: 110 4.4%

• Total voters

Hate

Oct 26, 2017
Playstation is bigger than Nintendo or MS in the UK. Why? FIFA ads all feature PS.

RossoneR

Oct 28, 2017
Playstation as brand.
This s not about exclusive ips where Nintendo s nr.1.

Gta, cod, fortnite, nfs ...re literally playstayion games for millions. In europe ask bunch op people what s gta, fifa....they ll tell u, plastation games. And ps ips have grown a lot in past decade.

N still has biggest exclusive ips. Im look at wiiu, gamecube, n64, Nintendo brand didnt save them.

DarkFlame92

Nov 10, 2017
ATM I'd say Sony,but Nintendo is the "elder" of gaming,they have a huge history and still going very strong. You can't compare gaming franchises to console sellers though,I mean people that hate gaming know Playstation,but don't know GTA or FIFA

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Playstation as brand.
This s not about exclusive ips where Nintendo s nr.1.

Gta, cod, fortnite, nfs ...re literally playstayion games for millions. In europe ask bunch op people what s gta, fifa....they ll tell u, plastation games. And ps ips have grown a lot in past decade.

N still has biggest exclusive ips. Im look at wiiu, gamecube, n64, Nintendo brand didnt save them.
Exclusive ips don't count but multiplatform games do?

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PlayStation and Nintendo.

People really saying that Pokémon is not big anymore? WTF?

JimD

Aug 17, 2018
Worldwide it's Nintendo. PlayStation is close, and certainly dominates Europe. But Nintendo is the bigger brand in North America and Asia. Those handhelds are too ubiquitous.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Sony is definitely bigger right now. Just look at the interest they generate.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I fully expected this thread to be a train wreck with more people voting Playstation because their echo chamber tells them this is true.....some how im actually more disappointed that my inkling was right.

Never change ERA.

P.S My vote is Nintendo......Mario and Pokemon alone trump both Xbox and Playstation combined.

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, why is it not there? I don't get it.
Nintendo/Pokemon are by far the biggest.
OP said "Note: Gaming Franchises like Mario or Minecraft are under the Hood of their respective Platform/Owner. "
But why the hell do we have single IPs in the vote and not something like Counter Striker or Fortnite?

FIFA btw is the name of the corrupt Football association. That isn't even a gaming brand.
But if we go with the definition of OP, then how can it not be Nintendo?
They have Pokémon and Mario. Even people who don't play, know these or do you really expect someone to
instantly recognize Nathan Drake?

Älg

Banned
May 13, 2018
What do we mean when we say "brand" and what do we mean when we say "big"?

I'd argue that neither Sony nor Microsoft have particularly strong brands when it comes to their gaming departments, and people are definitely more aware of the Nintendo franchises. People are aware that Playstation and Xbox exists, but my mom definitely doesn't know what the hell a Kratos is, though she can probably draw Mario and Pikachu from memory.

Anyone saying Sony/PS needs to spend less time on ERA and more time with their parents.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Finally people with sense are voting, in no world is the PlayStation brand bigger overall then Nintendo.

One has Mario and Pokémon, this should've been over in the first 10 votes.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon as a game/media franchise and Playstation as a general platform brand.

retrosega

Jun 14, 2019
I went with Nintendo, as they are now the oldest player still standing, I think.
I would have pick Sega if it had been an option though. :)

OP
OP
plow

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Can't people share their opinion without being condescending and feeling like their opinion is the only right one in this matter?

Vex

Oct 25, 2017
OP said "Note: Gaming Franchises like Mario or Minecraft are under the Hood of their respective Platform/Owner. "
But why the hell do we have single IPs in the vote and not something like Counter Striker or Fortnite?
Exactly. This was bad poll design. ;P

Pokemon is so big, that even non-gamers know what it is. It transcends consoles. It has its own anime adaptation. It has toys. It has its own candy.

4521121203522-1__48487.1537429593.jpg

If you just want to talk games, it has that too. It also has spin off games on top of that.

The Pokemon brand worth, on its own, is worth approx ~93 BILLION.

Now think about this just being one IP under the brand of Nintendo...

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I don't know how accurate Wikipedia is in this regard, but it lists Pokémon & Mario as both being in the Top 10 Highest Grossing Media Franchises in the world (and Pokémon is #1). No other videogame-focused franchise is in the Top 10. Half the Top 10 list is Disney (Mickey, Disney Princesses, Star Wars, MCU, Winnie the Pooh) and the other half is Japanese (Nintendo, Sanrio/Hello Kitty, Anpanman, and Shonen Jump).

Deleted member 5491

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon is so big, that even non-gamers know what it is. It transcends consoles. It has its own anime adaptation. It has toys. It has its own candy.
Exactly. Pokémon has everything.
And did we all fogot the Summer of Pokémon Go? Pokémon is king, Pokémon ist the bigget Media Franchise and therefore the biggest brand in gaming.
That is a fact, no matter how much more you like Console X or how many units it in the last 3 years.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo doesn't even fully own Pokemon so lumping that in just makes no sense.

The answer is Pokemon though, it's the biggest singular brand in gaming and media in general.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
On the company level, and at least in terms of "brands which are also among the big three in the gaming space", Microsoft absolutely cleans house, although of course it helps that they do other things too. Still, since people are validly pointing to the non-game components of something like Pokemon, kinda makes sense to consider.
www.visualcapitalist.com

Ranked: The Most Valuable Brands in the World

This infographic ranks some of the world’s biggest companies by brand value in 2020 and visualizes the movers and shakers over the past year.
www.ft.com

Top 100 global brands 2019: the full ranking

For the first time Amazon tops ranking compiled by WPP’s Kantar
brandirectory.com

Top 500 Global Brands 2020 | Brand Value Ranking League Table | Brandirectory

The annual report on the world's most valuable and strongest brands
www.statista.com

Most valuable brands worldwide 2023 | Statista

Amazon was the most valuable brand in the world in 2023, worth nearly 300 billion dollars. The e-commerce giant overtook the place previously occupied by Apple.

Since I'm not sure how one would try to split that out into other components of it's brand, and I can't find any other apples to apples comparisons of brand sizing on a more specific level, I'd go with that.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
It's Nintendo by a mile. Sony is such a gamer-centric bubble answer.

Deleted member 5491

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On the company level, and at least in terms of "brands which are also among the big three in the gaming space", Microsoft absolutely cleans house, although of course it helps that they do other things too.
Apple also does gaming with their store.
Amazon owns at least a gaming studio
Google does gaming now.