• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
hero-layers-mobile.png

I just bought Talenti's new Gelato Layers ice cream only to find that there was no seal underneath the cap. I googled it and apparently other people have complained and Talenti's response was phasing out plastic seals in favor of sustainability but is this going too far?

I've worked in a grocery store before where I've seen people do all sorts of shit to bulk nuts and candy to the point where I generally only buy sealed products. I'm paranoid enough to just refund the ice cream.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
they should sell liquid ice cream and put it in a can

OP
OP
Kuro

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
my only solace is that I had to use some silicon coasters to unscrew the lid so maybe that is the deterrent

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I've never heard of large containers of ice cream with a seal. Only small ones.

Oct 26, 2017
Appalachia
LMAO I am literally eating a pint of that black raspberry parfait right now, what a surprise

Yeah the lack of a seal is real weird now that you mention it. Specially knowing how people are in stores (oh god getting flashbacks to that recent "buffet etiquette" thread)

Oct 25, 2017
Ben and Jerry's has no seal and never has if I'm not mistaken...

Edit: oh wait are we counting the plastic ring around the lid as a seal? That seems to be a negligible amount of plastic relative to the benefit

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
I've never heard of large containers of ice cream with a seal. Only small ones.
You don't normally have a full surface seal across the whole tub, but there is usually a small plastic tab which must be broken for the lid to be opened to the first time. Considering the lid is already made of plastic, this is a negligible addition to the overall plastic pollution.

(This is mainly for rectangular tubs, although I have seen it on some round/cylindrical ones.)