• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
There are some amazing experiences and games on the PS5. It's really fantastic.

For the first time I personally will be waiting for a uprgaded or refined model before I get one - I have a Series X

It feels inevitable and .site it's awhile away but I wonder what do you think a PS5 Pro / New model might have? What would you like it to have?

GamingMU

Dec 31, 2020
We will not have Pro versions in this generation, only Slim versions. There is no reason to have an improved version, when the PS5 and Series X are consoles with good hardware and not completely outdated like the Jaguar CPU.

dogbox

Jan 30, 2019
Spaceball Arena
It would be cool for *any* PS5s to be available! I'm not much for the design and would probably go for a different one.

But seriously though. Any PS5 will do lol

L.O.R.D

Oct 26, 2017
Nah, waiting for PS9

jqgsycanfavvbig.jpg

RetroRunner

Dec 6, 2020
Not happening anytime soon, CPU/GPU tech hasn't improved significantly. I'm not expecting a pro model until AMD has a DLSS competitor

Shoe

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Don't see it happening. The CPU is still very powerful, unlike the PS4 which was already severely outclassed even at launch.

DaleCooper

Oct 27, 2017
OP, you have spoiled the PS5 Pro reveal. Shame on you.

I think Sony needs to focus on supply chain innovation. So they can, like actually deliver consoles to their customers.

CerMakAlot

Feb 27, 2019
I'm not convinced that they'll create a new model given their manufacturing woes. But if they do, maybe it could be engineered for manufacturing efficiency somehow?

If they do a launch an upgraded version, outside of the obvious performance and storage increases, I'd love to see hardware based backward compatibility. They could presumably already do this with the current model for PS2-PS3 games, but it doesn't seem like the disc drive in the ps5 can read CD-ROM discs, which would preclude playing ps1 titles. Probably not going to happen, but it would help them to catch up to Xbox in the area of legacy support and make me a day 1 buyer.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Unless this generation is insanely long, it's not gonna happen. They can't make enough PS5's to get them into stores.

Oct 25, 2017
Southern California
I'm personally waiting for the slim model before I jump in on PS5.

I don't expect there to be a pro/x model this generation.

I have a Series X but when they announce a slim model I'll trade mine in for that.

Oct 27, 2017
We will not have Pro versions in this generation, only Slim versions. There is no reason to have an improved version, when the PS5 and Series X are consoles with good hardware and not completely outdated like the Jaguar CPU.

There will always be something.

It's clear that people like 60fps and developers are now accustomed to offering tweaked settings that provide that. A mid gen refresh that keeps games operating at 60fps with less compromise on visual quality and resolution already sounds like something you can envisage.

Also, this is going to be a long gen. We aren't getting PS6 this side of 2030. They'll find something to sell us in 2025/26.

MercuryLS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm waiting in a non-coil whine PS5. I don't care if it's regular or pro. Hoping that a revision on a smaller manufacturing mode helps.

OP
OP
PenultimateFantasy
Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Can a mod alter the title to add 'thoughts' to the end please

(I went over the post so many times so there wouldn't be arguments bit I still get carrying it out haha)

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
We will not have Pro versions in this generation, only Slim versions. There is no reason to have an improved version
Sure there is: they'd be able to sell them.

The PS4 Pro and Xbox One X weren't invented because of the weaknesses of the PS4 and Xbox One, they were invented because both companies A) saw a market for it and B) saw how stale hardware led to some core gamers jumping ship to PC in the back half of the lengthy Xbox 360/PS3 generation, and they wanted to prevent that.

I'd be extremely surprised if we didn't see a PS5 Pro and a new Xbox family in 2024 or so.

Caiusto

Oct 25, 2017

While that's true, as in the reason we had upgrades last gen was because of how weak the consoles were originally, both Series and PS5 have laughable RT implementation due to AMD's underdevelopment in this aspect when you compare to what is available on PC through Nvidia's RTX.

So I wouldn't call off the chance of upgraded consoles midgen if AMD can come with better RT implementation.

OP
OP
PenultimateFantasy
Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
We will not have Pro versions in this generation, only Slim versions. There is no reason to have an improved version, when the PS5 and Series X are consoles with good ha nordware and not completely outdated like the Jaguar CPU.
Maybe not a pro but a slim /redesigned version always happens

I agree due to supply issues it'll be longer until it happen but PS have always had a redesign as far as I can remember

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
8K? A console that I can display rather than hide in unit? I don't know, had a PS5 for a year and a bit and I don't see what I would want from a Pro.
Base PS4 served me great I guess so what do I know of mid gen upgrades?

Jan 29, 2018
I would think that the chip shortage would make a Pro model this gen extremely unlikely. It doesn't feel inevitable to me at all.

Unless I'm severely misunderstanding where processors come from.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Don't care what it has as I won't be getting any mid gen refreshes this time. I'm good with my PS5 and Series X until the PS6 and whatever for Xbox. Switch is the only thing I would upgrade because it's ass and I already just rip my games and play them on my PC because of it.

Bucca

Oct 25, 2017
the consoles have been out for a year and people still have trouble getting them

Big Powder

Oct 25, 2017
It'll be a lot smaller, will boast some expanded specs that increase performance and games that currently don't run at a full 4K will get a 4K patch. [gestures wildly] 2TB. [disappears in a poof of smoke]

IDontBeatGames

ThreadMarksman
Oct 29, 2017
New York
it's awhile away but I wonder what do you think a PS5 Pro / New model might have? What would you like it to have?
I don't think about a PS5 Pro / New Model because people can barely get a PS5 in the wild let alone smoothly on websites like Amazon or Best Buy. I'm more concerned about a fucking Switch Pro finally happening if anything lol. This conversation feels so unneeded considering the circumstances and struggles that people are having when trying to obtain a PS5. This thought/conversation should be something we're discussing in like... 3-4 years lol.