Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 23, 2022
I feel like to this day some people lament what could've been, but I don't think I ever knew what it was supposed to be besides not a Final Fantasy crossover with

s-l600.jpg

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6At_bb1PNU&t=116s

I need someone to walk me through this like I'm 5.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
It was meant to be a standalone game set in the same continuity as Final Fantasy XIII but featuring an original story and characters, XIII being the Roman numerals

JTSilver

Games Actor
Verified
Sep 1, 2019
It was meant to be a standalone game set in the same continuity as Final Fantasy XIII but featuring an original story and characters, XIII being the Roman numerals

I'm with OP. I know this much. But why "Versus"?
and why does the Versus come before the XIII? If Versus would have been the name for this side series, why wasn't it "Final Fantasy XIII Versus"?

Makoto Yuki

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I think in an interview Nomura said "versus XIII" is suppose to be "against" the conventions of the series.

Instead of the ATB, it was suppose to be a darker, more realistic, action game. As opposed to the light, fantasy, turn-based games mainline Final Fantasy usual run with.

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
I'm with OP. I know this much. But why "Versus"?
and why does the Versus come before the XIII? If Versus would have been the name for this side series, why wasn't it "Final Fantasy XIII Versus"?
Versus can also mean "being opposite" something, such as in comparison to it. For eg. "I much prefer water versus soda".

So the idea here is "Final Fantasy Versus XIII" = this is the Final Fantasy that is an alternative to XIII. "Versus" by itself was not supposed to be a brand name from what I understand.

OP
OP
Derbel McDillet

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 23, 2022
I think in an interview Nomura said "versus XIII" is suppose to be "against" the conventions of the series.

Instead of the ATB, it was suppose to be a darker, more realistic, action game. As opposed to the light, fantasy, turn-based games mainline Final Fantasy usual run with.
This plus it being more dark and edgy. The main characters were suppose to worship death.
Oh, so we did sort of get that.

View: https://youtu.be/Ni2L9D9lz9A?si=n9ViDRWbfxgp2fpP

balohna

Nov 1, 2017
It made as much sense to me as any other FF tie in or sequel title. Didn't bat an eye.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
This is the company that gave us Infinite Undiscovery. Just accept the titles as collections of words and don't think about it too much. They didn't.

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
It's the catch all title for generic haters of the best Final Fantasy game and protagonist.

7f0f49a22457393ec3ca9d78d29b85cf3cc323c9.gifv

WildArms

Apr 30, 2022
Gameplay wise, I remember reading an article from Andriasang at the time and they wanted the game to be fully world, action oriented with random events. To me, I figured it would be like GW2 events and the concept sounded so cool. I dunno... what we got was a shell in comparison, I feel, with FFXV.

Even still, I wish for the day we had a modern city style FF like that. One that takes place in a giant metropolis only. How cool could that be?

OP
OP
Derbel McDillet

Derbel McDillet

▲ Legend ▲
Nov 23, 2022
Gameplay wise, I remember reading an article from Andriasang at the time and they wanted the game to be fully world, action oriented with random events. To me, I figured it would be like GW2 events and the concept sounded so cool. I dunno... what we got was a shell in comparison, I feel, with FFXV.

Even still, I wish for the day we had a modern city style FF like that. One that takes place in a giant metropolis only. How cool could that be?
I guess, but I'm not hurting for contemporary JRPGs in real world settings, though there could be more.

I got TWEWY.

WildArms

Apr 30, 2022
I guess, but I'm not hurting for contemporary JRPGs in real world settings, though there could be more.

I got TWEWY.

Sure, there's TWEWY and Persona but like... one who prefer (I guess) a more semi realistic character style or art direction, there really isn't much in that offering.

I guess for those of us still wanting it, there's always...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daL1jj1n8o0

Even then, still far more anime like but I dunno. I want those AAA city like structures and what could have been quite a hell of a great job with exploration.

ashm

Oct 26, 2017
It wasn't even meant to be set in the same continuity. Its world was supposed to incorporate the same mythology.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
It was supposed to be an alternate take on Final Fantasy. Don't think of "Versus" in the sense of, like, a fighting game. It's Latin; think of it in the sense of "reversed."

It was "XIII" because originally all the Fabula Nova Crystallis games were numbered XIII. Final Fantasy Type-0 was originally Final Fantasy Agito XIII. And that's, again, Latin; the idea is "to set in motion."

The whole Fabula Nova Crystallis project was very into Latin names for things. Just look at the names of characters from FFXV.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
I hope one day we can get a FF that captures the tone of those early trailers. Love rewatching them.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England

Yep. These two images during development helped demonstrate that imo:
Cross-Over.full.69981.jpg

At the same time, it's Square. A lot of their titles and subtitles feel like the name / word salad came first, and the explanation for them comes afterwards (if ever...)

Syne

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Feb 5, 2023
UK
Versus XIII means friendship, and my friends are my power

rottenpie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
"Versus in Latin means "to turn around" and in English it means "against". Both translations are the main keywords for this game.

Early Final Fantasy Versus XIII artwork showed dark and heavy images in comparison to Final Fantasy XIII's white background."

Versus also means pain and sorrow :(((

double_heist

Nov 19, 2019
Versus means "as opposed to" meaning whatever kind of world that XIII had, it should have been the opposite. FFXIII had a colorful world and it was mostly daytime, it was turn based. It was also not gory.

Versus XIII on the other hand was supposed to be dark and gloomy, it was an action RPG, and it had gore.

DrHercouet

May 25, 2018
France
To be fair, the whole Fabula Nova Crystallis thingy screamed "Let's jingle some keys for the shareholders" and seemed very feeble to begin with.

However, I'm a sucker for creative naming and I absolutely loved the little word between Final Fantasy and the number. It felt like "Another Final Fantasy take on the XIIIth entry" It still has a lot of potential. I was hype AF for Final Fantasy Haeresis XIII (which probably never existed or worse, was supposed to be a weird mobile game).

Great concept, weird setup, bad execution.

pbayne

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
The greatest thing this game ever did was never come out lol (even if the bones turned into 15). People have a very rosy view that this was gonna be some kind of masterpiece based on the scant few tidbits there ever were about it.

The Bear

Forest Animal
Oct 25, 2017
Versus XIII is whatever you imagined it to be in your internal fanfiction. Unreleased games will be forever perfect.

WildArms

Apr 30, 2022
The greatest thing this game ever did was never come out lol (even if the bones turned into 15). People have a very rosy view that this was gonna be some kind of masterpiece based on the scant few tidbits there ever were about it.

Death gods, seeing the relationship between Stella and Noctis (instead of what we got with Luna), better side quests (seemingly), more lore (as opposed to the game being split up between Kingsglaive, the animation and the game + DLC). Man... a complete experience with a PROPER world to actually explore with lore and hidden side quests among everything else? I'm pretty sure that's what the majority of us wanted.

Heck, it seemed a lot more like a Ivalice game in a way too with the more modern political warfare and grand scheming too.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020

I mean for people who liked both Kingdom Hearts and Final Fantasy XIII there was no reason to ever assume it wouldn't be. The trailers looked cool (fake gameplay aside, I mean the tone and style) and the talent on board had been consistent. Especially when you take a step back and put into perspective that the original announcement trailer for Versus XIII came out one year after Kingdom Hearts II. The PS3 was set to come out in a few months and Nomura was at his absolute zenith. There was no way for anyone to be anything BUT hyped.

Madao

Avalanche's One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
to me, this is FF's Ura Zelda.

people had so many wild theories about what Ura Zelda was supposed to be but in the end all that came from that was OoT Master Quest (further confirmed by the 3DS remaster since the internal names of the MQ files were in a folder called "ura zelda")

Azem

Oct 25, 2017
It's the catch all title for generic haters of the best Final Fantasy game and protagonist.

7f0f49a22457393ec3ca9d78d29b85cf3cc323c9.gifv

Toriyama is destined to become the king of camp fashion rpgs. X-2 and the Lightning trilogy were his training grounds, where he suffered mockery and derision. FFVII remake series will be a mere pit stop as he bides his time, building resources and influence on the path to his magnum opus. The typical gamer will not be able to comprehend his great work.

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
Nomura's FFXV was pitched as "a fantasy based in reality". Tabata's FFXV was a fantasy based in feedback.

Final Fantasy Versus XIII would however remain a fantasy based in delusion.

foxmel-twitter-foxmel.gif

WildArms

Apr 30, 2022
Nomura's FFXV was pitched as "a fantasy based in reality". Tabata's FFXV was a fantasy based in feedback.

Final Fantasy Versus XIII would however remain a fantasy based in delusion.

foxmel-twitter-foxmel.gif

Interesting though, in perspective, when you think that FFXIV had a similar fate as Versus XIII (more so that XIV in it's intial 1.0 release would have almost COMPLETELY DESTROYED Square Enix had it not have been for Naoki Yoshida). Interesting how Naoki Yoshida and his team could save XIV as opposed to Tabata with XV. Funny too because 2.0 also used elements of Luminous.

Syne

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Feb 5, 2023
UK
Interesting though, in perspective, when you think that FFXIV had a similar fate as Versus XIII (more so that XIV in it's intial 1.0 release would have almost COMPLETELY DESTROYED Square Enix had it not have been for Naoki Yoshida). Interesting how Naoki Yoshida and his team could save XIV as opposed to Tabata with XV. Funny too because 2.0 also used elements of Luminous.
Man to live in the timeline with a fully realised XV 😔

Tbf I didn't think the XV we got was dreadful, but I'll also never forgive them for not giving us the second wave of dlc which would've made it 10x better. Ardyn dlc was fire though.

Delaney

Oct 25, 2017
Well, he launched the latest best-selling entry in the franchise with a very limited development time and the company could finally move on from this gargantuan 10-years-in-the-making project so I'd say he kind of did a good job in saving the day even though it eventually costed player goodwill.

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
This is what I don't understand, people say "this would have been good unlike XV", but there's no way anyone can reasonably say that.

Plus, every other Fabula Nova Crystallis title was awful, there's zero reason for me to believe this would be any different.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
Versus XIII, a contrast to XIII. Black and white.

Same base lore thats why not XIV/XV originally but part of XIII.

Risev

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
The 2011 gameplay trailer will forever live rent free in my head. Heck even tho the song in it was in XV, the version in that trailer was much better

Ryuman

Nov 1, 2017
As mentioned already, many things about Versus were meant to be in contrast to, "against" what the XIII was doing. Another game inspired by the base lore that XIII used, as was the purpose of the Fabula Nova Crystallis project: to create multiple games under a common mythology (Not the same universe though, which some people erroneously believe). The idea developed a lot but ultimately Versus was meant to be a darker title with action combat from the KH team. A "Fantasy based on Reality" where the world had many familiar elements to real life. While XIII focused on the divine machinations of destiny, Versus XIII was meant to have a more Human spin in it's world and story. Human conflict, a Road Movie story of bonds and discovery, how myth stands up to reality, etc. Noctis himself was developed to have a stronger personality than what Nomura thought was typical, to the point he worried it would rub people the wrong way.