vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Lots of talk going on about next gen systems and games, but only a little bit here and there about the controllers. We've gotten a lot of possibilities shown via various patents, so I figured we could have a thread to focus on what everyone wants. It's probably best to focus on core controllers that will ship with the next gen consoles, but if people want to discuss Pro/Elite variants then sure. I'll just kick things off with a few features that are either already implemented somewhere, or that we've seen in patents.

1) Touchpad: A feature on the DS4 that is seldom used in most games. If they keep it in then something will have to change to motivate devs to use it more

2) Touchscreen: We've seen patents of controllers with built in screens, and this would be a great evolution over the touchpad IMO. It gives users a second screen for things like inventories, and even allows for the possibility of remote play directly on the controller itself. The major downsides would be cost and battery usage of course.

3) Rear paddles/buttons: Seen a lot on pro/elite controllers, is it time for them to transition to primary controllers to allow for more input options?

4) Trackpads instead of thumbsticks: Popularized on Steam controllers it seems that impressions are divided on this tech replacing thumbsticks. I haven't used them so I can't lend an opinion

5) Controllers that get hot/cold: We've seen some patents for this sort of feature, here's one example:

https://kotaku.com/sony-wants-to-make-a-ps3-controller-that-gets-hot-or-co-5951320

Not sure how feasible the tech is, but it'd add an extra sense of immersion to games

6) Controllers that split in half: A popular concept to build VR compatibility right into the main system controller. It'd certainly be a challenge to balance the design so we don't wind up in a "best of both worlds, master of none" situation

So yeah, what's on your wishlist for a next gen controller?

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Paddles are the biggest game changer. I was first introduced through the steam controller. Using them for jump/run is amazing.

qatak

Oct 27, 2017
I would be really surprised if paddles or rear-buttons weren't incorporated in some way. Or maybe not surprised, just disappointed lol.

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just want the headphone jack to stay. It's a lifesaver when I just want to watch something on Netflix in my room but don't want to wear a bulky headset to do so. So convenient.

KenOD

Oct 25, 2017
Every single button on an OS and game level to be customisable layout and recorded in the controller's memory as a profile so I don't have to set it up when I use it on a different system.

Option to turn off features for battery saving purpose. Playing a game that doesn't require gyro or the lightbar (for PS4), have options to turn it off.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
My list:

• The Xbox Elite should be the standard for next gen controllers in terms of layout (With the symetrical sticks on the DS5)
  • No touch screen, but a trackpad. A touchscreen makes it much more expensive than it should.
  • Separable
  • Some lights somewhere. When a game uses it right on the DS4, it adds a lot to the atmosphere.
  • Built in speakers for the controllers, and headphone jacks obviously.
  • The next Xbox controller needs gyro controls, too.

johan

Oct 29, 2017
Six face buttons
Paddles probably although I've never used them
Split in half controller would be nice
I'd like some way to convert analog triggers to digital ones and back
Gyro aiming

Tetrinski

Banned
May 17, 2018
I hope Sony implements better vibration. The vibrating triggers on Xbox One are amazing in shooters and racing games and make it feel like something is missing when playing on PS4.

I also hope they remove the touchpad and giant light. The first consumes too much energy, the second is annoying when playing in the dark. However, if they implement backwards compatibility, they might need to keep them. For the same reason, I hope Microsoft makes a conservative controller: in my opinion, they have consistently delivered the best controller of every generation since their first console, and with backwards compatibility being so important to them, they can´t make huge changes. Some of the features of their pro controller would be nice, like the back buttons. Being able to replace certain parts like in that controller, or lift certain buttons like in the last 360 controllers, would also be cool.

Also, Sony, make decent triggers for once, please.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I think the idea of touchpads and touchscreens are gimmicky. Sure my Switch has a touchscreen but what's the point when I can't operate it solely through that.

And the touchpad on the DS4 is just a giant Select button (though it's pretty cool how it kind of splits in the middle). Still, I'd like to see those go.

I can't speak for rear buttons/paddles (I haven't used a controller with them), but they sound interesting and more buttons available to devs would most likely only be a good thing.

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
Gimme 6 face buttons. I wanna see the return of ABCXYZ. Or just let me split the controller like split joycons.

Dracoonian

Dec 6, 2017
More buttons, definitely. I mean 4 to 6 fingers have been left unused for years. Put some buttons or pedals at the back, better yet make some of them squeezable so it has analog properties.

Outside of controller design and in conjunction with having more buttons, I really would love to see more games having rebindable control schemes. Not just run/jump or invert Y-X, every button.

OP
OP
vivftp

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
I think the idea of touchpads and touchscreens are gimmicky. Sure my Switch has a touchscreen but what's the point when I can't operate it solely through that.

Would you be more interested if the screen allowed you to remote play your game just like a Vita/Xperia? I could see that being a large selling point, but depending on the cost such a feature might have to be reserve for a Pro controller rather than the base one.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
Wireless charging dock(s) built into the console. Don't know if that's realistic, but it would be a nice quality of life feature.

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The idea of the PS5 controller splitting in two to make motion controls is something I really want, honestly.

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
  • No track/touch pad (It's barely used)
  • No big light (uses up battery)
  • Detachable sides with gyros (I think Sony will ape the Switch and offer this as a solution to combine Move with DualShock)
  • Still has speaker/rumble
  • USB C standard
  • Light weight
So a controller that splits in half to be used with VR right out of the box.

(damn, beaten by a country mile)

Log!

Oct 27, 2017
A decent d-pad. The d-pads on this generation's controllers still don't hold a candle to the greats from SEGA or Nintendo. It would make 2D games and fighters much more approachable.

2) Touchscreen: We've seen patents of controllers with built in screens, and this would be a great evolution over the touchpad IMO. It gives users a second screen for things like inventories, and even allows for the possibility of remote play directly on the controller itself. The major downsides would be cost and battery usage of course.
Valve's Steam Controller featured a touch screen at one point in time, but they noticed that people didn't like having to take their attention away from the game in order to look down at their controller for very long, which is why it got axed.

OP
OP
vivftp

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
A decent d-pad. The d-pads on this generation's controllers still don't hold a candle to the greats from SEGA or Nintendo. It would make 2D games and fighters much more approachable.

What would be your thoughts on using the Vita's D-pad, maybe made a little larger?

Valve's Steam Controller featured a touch screen at one point in time, but they noticed that people didn't like having to take their attention away from the game in order to look down at their controller for very long, which is why it got axed.

Didn't know that, thanks for the info. Yeah, I'm not sure how well received it'd be when playing games on a TV, but just for remote play I think it'd be a worthwhile feature.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Make gyro controls a standard.
Maybe have VR-type controllers that can be used for standard games.

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
Add more face buttons or shoulder buttons to replace clickable sticks, if only so we never have to fucking suffer through L3 to sprint ever again.

OP
OP
vivftp

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Saddened that no one wants a controller that can either heat up or cool down the grips :(

It'd be like having a heated/cooled steering wheel... but the wheel is your controller :)

Nov 30, 2017
I like thumbsticks but just played pub g mobile on my S9 and the on screen D pad worked quite well. I slid off it a couple times but if there was a slight indent it would work.

Just want the DS4 evolved i guess. The 3.5mm jack is nice and gyro worked. I got used to playing Driveclub with it.

Whatever they give us i guess. I cant really think of anything else they can slap on.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I always liked the Steam Controller's original concept when it had a small touch screen in the middle.

I like the idea of having game specific hotkeys for non-essential stuff like maps, inventory, etc. or equipping items or weapons like in a Zelda game.

It's annoying forgetting what function some games assign to stuff like the dpad directions or the select button.

Only problem would be the price would get pretty high, but it's still something I'd like to see.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
better battery life
symmetrical sticks
6 face buttons (while retaining the usual 4 shoulder/trigger buttons)

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017
Standardized gyro. Stick plus gyro aiming is great, but it won't see widespread use until Microsoft adopts gyro.

I wouldn't mind six face buttons, either.

Wetalo

Feb 9, 2018
Definitely something in the back of the controller, either trigger buttons or a touchpad.

Using the back touchpad to adjust your aim in Killzone Mercenary felt great. You can also bind it to different actions in certain games. On each hand we have two fingers that never get used and the two middle fingers on each hand get rare use, may as well give them something to do.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
100% detachable controllers for VR. But I would love more to see an internal screen. Imagine only needing your DualShock for remote play. Only downside is that this would drive up the price like crazy.

Oct 27, 2017
Normal controller design, no weird bullshit.

• Paddles (at least 2)
  • Gyro (I may not use it a lot but it's a nice option to have)
  • Keep the headphone jack obviously
  • Speaker (Not used a lot but I enjoyed it in games like Infamous)
  • Let us turn stuff like the light bar off (Let's be honest the next Dualshock will have it [PSVR] but let us turn it completely off please)
  • Better battery life on the Sony side of things (Xbox is fine, Switch Pro is great)

Saddened that no one wants a controller that can either heat up or cool down the grips :(

It'd be like having a heated/cooled steering wheel... but the wheel is your controller :)
I'd rather controllers not cost a shit ton.

Ultimadrago

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
I would like the Switch's screenshot button on all controllers. It's just nice to have without the clunky menu chopping for each one you'd like to take.

Arulan

Oct 25, 2017
The Steam controller is the basis of what I'd like to see iterated upon.
  • A significantly better replacement to the right analog stick.
  • Grip buttons.
  • 80+ hour battery life.
  • Gyro support.
  • Dual-stage triggers.
  • The best customization software for a controller.
  • Haptic feedback (right pad can feel like rolling a track ball, or a tap can feel like pushing a button).
  • An affordable price (frequently goes on sale for $15 too).

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I'm expecting some more flashy coloured lights, less battery life (somehow) and maybe some more emphasis on motion gimmicks.

I actually want just a comfortable controller with enough buttons and a decent d-pad. And decent battery life.

OP
OP
vivftp

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Hmm, here's a small idea that I'm sure has already been done. We all know the DS4's light bar can light up to highlight different things going on in a game, and until the revision with the strip coming through on the touchpad it wasn't very effective because the lightbar was pretty much always facing away from you. Well what if the controller plastic material was partially translucent and the entire controller face face could light up with internal LEDs to give you that same experience?

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
  • 6 face buttons for fighting games, but keep the 4 bumper/trigger buttons
  • Gyro sensors in all controllers for (optional) motion-assisted aiming
  • USB Type-C as the main port for charging, but it can also double as a 2nd audio port if you have USB-C headphones
  • Keep the 3.5mm headphone jack
  • Use Bluetooth 5.0 for higher-quality audio through the controller

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
The OP requests sound like it'd have a battery life of 5 minutes, and also be big.

I'm fine with the same dualshock, but an actual good battery life to it