PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
Next gen is finally here, and we have been able to play both consoles (well, PS5 will be here in a few days for me). Having experienced the Series X first hand and seen the PS5 OS in videos and walkthroughs, I'm impressed with the state that both operating systems have launched in. For both of them, there's a lot more functionality at launch than there was last year.

With that in mind, what features would you like to see in system updates in the future? For me:

Xbox
  • 4K HDR dashboard - I didn't think this would be an issue when I read about it - and it's still not a *huge* issue for me, but is more of an annoyance than I anticipated it being. For one, if I bring up a popup menu on a game tile, a lot of the time it will show very blurry text that takes a split second to update to be clearer. Also, when starting a 4K or HDR game/app, my TV will show a black screen for a second or so before switching. That's not the Xbox's fault, but presumably if the dashboard was in 4K HDR like the PS5 OS, this would be a non-issue because it wouldn't be switching output modes.
  • Better visualisation of Quick Resume - I love Quick Resume, when it works it's a fantastic feature and will only get better as it gets enabled for the games that it's currently turned off for. However, there's no indication of which games support Quick Resume until you start them. There's also no list of which games you have suspended that can be resumed. If you have say 5 games suspended, and launch a sixth, it would be useful to see a message "If you start this game, [game xyz] will be removed from Quick Resume. Continue?".
  • Per-game toggle for Auto-HDR - Right now auto HDR can only be enabled or disabled globally. It would be nice to be able to control it per-game, if you don't like how a certain game looks with the feature but would prefer it to be left on for other games.
  • Per-app audio settings - It would be nice to default to Atmos for games/movies but output stereo for Spotify.
  • Bluetooth headphone support - I use my Series X as I used my One X, and as well as playing games it's my main media platform. I use it for Netflix, Prime Video, YouTube etc. I'd like to use my bluetooth earbuds if I'm watching videos and don't want to disturb people, but right now the OS doesn't support bluetooth headphones. Not sure if this is impossible if it literally doesn't have the hardware it needs, however.
  • Chromecast and AirPlay support - Another media feature which would be really nice. There are 3rd party apps that can do this, but it would be great if it was built right into the OS.
  • Dolby Vision support for Blu-Rays - Apparently the Blu-Ray player doesn't support this. Not sure if it's something that can be implemented in software or whether it's impossible without hardware changes (like WiFi 6).
  • Password manager - this would be useful for logging into Netflix and other apps if you get a new console or need to do an OS reset for whatever reason.
  • Some indication that the console is doing something if it's updating when it's "powered off" - I very nearly bricked my One X about a year ago, switching it off at the wall when I'd powered it off in Energy Saving mode, thinking it was powered down. It wasn't. It was doing a system update in the background, but there was no indication until I powered it back on the next day and was greeted with a boot error. A flashing power button / controller Xbox button or something would help in this situation.
  • Show currently playing music on the home screen (maybe at the top next to the time/battery/mic icons) - As an enhancement to this, allow skipping tracks quickly (would be difficult because some buttons are used for other things, maybe the right stick or something?)
  • Stability - I haven't had a huge amount of issues, but I've had games freeze a couple of times or quit to the dashboard. This could be the game itself of course, but if there are any bugs in the OS, hopefully those can be ironed out soon.

PS5
I don't have mine yet (arrives Thursday, hopefully) but I'm interested to hear from those who have the console what features you're missing or would like. From what I can gather the main ones so far are:
  • Ability to store PS5 games on external storage
  • Folders
  • VRR
  • Dolby Vision
  • Dolby Atmos for movies Seems this is already a feature
  • General OS stability

I'm interested to hear which features everyone else would like in future OS updates. I was actually struggling to think of much myself, as both operating systems feel much more full-featured than at the start of last gen.

Deleted member 59

Xbox - not having to go in to settings menu and then another menu within there to fully shutdown my XSX.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
PS5 needs external storage options, and it needs them quick. Everything else is a nice to have, but that's baseline functionality.

Strandr

Oct 12, 2019
All I want for Xbox Series X is some kind of PiP media feature like we had for Snap, but do it like the PS5 has that you can choose where around the screen it is as opposed to it cutting 15% off my screen

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I also want to be able to see which games are cached for Quick Resume, preferably have it be the list of games you see on the Quick Guide(?) when you tap the Xbox button. Otherwise I'm happy with the Xbox UX.

OP
OP
PaulLFC

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I want PS5 to have quicker access to closing a game/app like the PS4 had.
I also want the row of games to not be so small and in the top left corner.

VirtuaModel

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
PS5 - Allow me to still get audio through an HDMI connection when using headphones that are plugged into the console/controller. This would allow me to get 3D audio while playing games while also using a capture card to record high-quality footage with sound.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
PS5:
-Folders in the Library that work like Steam (Games can be in folders even if uninstalled)
-HDR options: Automatic (works like "Automatic" on PS4, turns HDR off if games don't support it), On (works like "Automatic" on PS5, SDR games are in an HDR container), Off (HDR is always off)

Deleted member 59

Does it not do a full shutdown in "energy saving" mode? Mine seems to - it will keep the fans/external HDD spinning for a minute or so but then seems to power off completely.

I'll have to investigate. I'll be honest, it's the first thing i tried but i could definitely hear faint noise from the device in the dead of night while i was trying to sleep, so i had to get up and do a full shutdown.

OP
OP
PaulLFC

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
I'll have to investigate. I'll be honest, it's the first thing i tried but i could definitely hear faint noise from the device in the dead of night while i was trying to sleep, so i had to get up and do a full shutdown.
Hmm, do you have an external drive? Maybe it's keeping the external HDD spinning for some reason? Mine is in energy saving mode, and it will look like it's shut down, then will spin back up after a few seconds, for half a minute or so. Then it will shut down "properly". I switch it off at the wall then, and have had no issues from doing that so far.

joeblow

Oct 27, 2017
Laker Nation
I never understood why topics like this one do not separate out the consoles into their own threads. It's very cumbersome to go through and read responses that match up with your system as you wade through responses that have don't affect you at all.

Buzzkiller_20

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
For PS5, I'd like to see themes and folders. Those two should be top priority for Sony.

dom

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Bluetooth headphone support - I use my Series X as I used my One X, and as well as playing games it's my main media platform. I use it for Netflix, Prime Video, YouTube etc. I'd like to use my bluetooth earbuds if I'm watching videos and don't want to disturb people, but right now the OS doesn't support bluetooth headphones. Not sure if this is impossible if it literally doesn't have the hardware it needs, however.
Xbox doesn't support bluetooth.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Bluetooth headphone support - I use my Series X as I used my One X, and as well as playing games it's my main media platform. I use it for Netflix, Prime Video, YouTube etc. I'd like to use my bluetooth earbuds if I'm watching videos and don't want to disturb people, but right now the OS doesn't support bluetooth headphones. Not sure if this is impossible if it literally doesn't have the hardware it needs, however.

There's no bluetooth hardware on the console.

Dolby Vision support for Blu-Rays - Apparently the Blu-Ray player doesn't support this. Not sure if it's something that can be implemented in software or whether it's impossible without hardware changes (like WiFi 6).

This likely won't be happening due to Xbox Series X using Dolby Vision Low Latency mode like Xbox One X which is better suited to games and streaming content but essentially rules out being able to run it off a UHD. It would require a Dolby Vision specific chip to support the full version.

Last edited:

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
For PS5
  • The small gamebar or whatever at the top that shows the games/apps needs to be bigger. There's no reason it is that tiny.
  • Better visualization for code redemption. You redeem a code, and you can click redeem again if you didn't realize it went through (like I did) and then it just says already redeemed even though nothing is showing. Then, you have to go search for the content. It's strange. The way PS4 did was just more obvious to me.

finalflame

Product Management
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For PS5
  • The small gamebar or whatever at the top that shows the games/apps needs to be bigger. There's no reason it is that tiny.
I honestly think it's the perfect size and hope it never changes. Not sure why people want shit in the UI to be huge and blocky.

Paper Wario

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
On Xbox, some sort of Quick Resume visualizer that shows you which games are currently ordered within the QR queue

jobrro

The Fallen
Nov 19, 2017
PS5: Be able to transfer to and from the external drive in the background. The Xbox can do this.

PS5: Be able to force the audio device to a headphone. I can connect my XM3 headphones to my TV with Bluetooth but I can only choose Speaker, Sound bar and some other option on the PS5 menu as the HDMI audio device. I can't enable the 3D audio.

Gjallarsean

Oct 10, 2018
By far the biggest thing I want on Xbox is some more iteration and customization on Quick Resume. The ability to see what currently has a Quick Resume state, pick and choose what gets kicked out if you run up against the limit, and also multiple states per game for consoles with multiple users. Doesn't feel great for my spouse to boot up Valhalla to then have to exit the game and load up the save on her profile.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
I honestly think it's the perfect size and hope it never changes. Not sure why people want shit in the UI to be huge and blocky.
It doesn't have to necessarily be big and blocky. I think anything to make it a tad more readable would be better even if they just made the boxes a tad bigger.

gholas

Nov 13, 2020
The ps5 UI for friends/parties needs an overhaul. So many button presses just to see who is online and in a party. And half the time it won't even display who sent a msg or started a party. That combined with the recent changes to how parties work makes everything a real pain in the ass.

Deleted member 50374

alt account
Banned
Dec 4, 2018
  • Bluetooth headphone support - I use my Series X as I used my One X, and as well as playing games it's my main media platform. I use it for Netflix, Prime Video, YouTube etc. I'd like to use my bluetooth earbuds if I'm watching videos and don't want to disturb people, but right now the OS doesn't support bluetooth headphones. Not sure if this is impossible if it literally doesn't have the hardware it needs, however.
There's no support for BT in general I think. I wish I could connect my BT keyboard but that's not working either.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
For the Series S/X, it'd be good if you could pick which game would leave quick resume if you went over capacity.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
For the Series S/X, it'd be good if you could pick which game would leave quick resume if you went over capacity.
It would be really cool to pop into a little dashboard that has all of the games currently saved to quick resume and in their order of leaving soon so you could manage it or just select one that appeals that you want to hop back into.

Fatmanp

Oct 27, 2017
For the Xbox it would be nice if I had the option to select rest mode or hard shutdown from the shutdown menu as it did on PS4. 4k dash with more themes would be nice as well as smaller squares on the main screen.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
PS5: long-press for the PlayStation button to bring up some sort of power-specific menu. I have to wonder who in the hell at Sony thought that was wise to remove.

CarterTax

Oct 25, 2017
CTRL + F "1440p"

Okay I'll go with that since everything else is covered. Seriously. Just support 1440p. Not only because people do game on monitors, but also because some TVs support 1440p at 120hz but not 4K at 120hz.

Argentil

Oct 27, 2017
I never understood why topics like this one do not separate out the consoles into their own threads. It's very cumbersome to go through and read responses that match up with your system as you wade through responses that have don't affect you at all.
Personally, I find it useful to wade through both, even if I only have the one system for now. It's a good way to more broadly share some of the coolest features and hope they get adapted for both sides. It's also just interesting to see how different the systems are after initially thinking things were approaching homogeneity.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
CTRL + F "1440p"

Okay I'll go with that since everything else is covered. Seriously. Just support 1440p. Not only because people do game on monitors, but also because some TVs support 1440p at 120hz but not 4K at 120hz.

Yeah. This is what's keeping me from buying a PS5. I play mainly on PC at 144hz and have no intention to change that for a few exclusives by dropping 900$ on that LG 4k monitor.

OgTheEnigma

Oct 27, 2017
Liverpool
I'm probably one of the few who wants a web browser on PS5 (I don't have the console yet). It's pretty devastating to hear that it isn't included.

I use it all the time on PS4 to jump back and forth to the web while playing games, and I generally like having a tv web browsing experience with a controller. Also, the Twitch and Youtube apps on PS4 are awful, so I much prefer to view them via the web.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
The new Gamebase/party/chat system needs to be looked at on PS5. It feels like its makes everything take way longer and more confusing than it should be just to do simple things like send messages and join parties, etc.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
HDR handling on PS5 is really dumb right now. I've been manually turning it off if a game doesn't support it. Thankfully the OS is super fast so it only takes a few seconds each time, but I shouldn't have to be doing this.

Argentil

Oct 27, 2017
I'm probably one of the few who wants a web browser on PS5 (I don't have the console yet). It's pretty devastating to hear that it isn't included.

I use it all the time on PS4 to jump back and forth to the web while playing games, and I generally like having a tv web browsing experience with a controller. Also, the Twitch and Youtube apps an PS4 are awful, so I much prefer to view them via the web.
I don't think that will happen. Sony seem to want to avoid having a built-in browser for security reasons. It opens up avenues for exploits apparently. There is a basic browser hidden inside the Twitter app though, not sure if it's been patched yet. You could access a site by following Twitter links.

I would rather hope the Twitch and YouTube apps were improved in this specific instance.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
For Xbox:

4K Dashboard. Ridiculous this isn't a thing
Pin tile art customisation. I hate that giant pin tile for my pins. Let me put my own artwork there

For PS5:

Folders...like yesterday
PS Button Long hold needs to be power down options again
Let me pin tiles in place
Let me re-arrange the taskbar and put EVERYTHING there. Why have settings up top with the profile and then have the profile again in the taskbar but no settings?
Just have everything in the taskbar

SavoyPrime

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina USA
For the PS5, I'd really like the ability to hide games. Seeing my library that has a few games I regret or don't want to look at that every time I go to the tab just appalls me lol. I need that feature immediately!

RGB

Nov 13, 2017
For PS5

I may have missed it but Recent Players seems to be missing in the UI.
Game base in general could use some prioritization of what is displayed first. Too many presses to get to common tasks.

Bottom bar should have a trophies entry.