• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 10623

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 30, 2021
cqdga9eozyf81.jpg

For me, it's GTA V then followed by Spider-Man.

Sacrilicious

Oct 30, 2017
Red Dead Redemption 2's world is hard to beat, from the incredible landscapes to the immersive wilderness.

I just loved exploring every nook and cranny.

EDIT: just noticed the wrong forum

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Low-key this thread since it wondered off to etcetea.

But my pick would be Elder Scrolls games, in particular Morrowind. Game lets you walk around right after you leave that boat

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
Insomniac's Spider-Man. Both are phenomenal but I guess I'll give the edge to Miles Morales for being basically the same but more refined.

Never before has the mere act of movement been so satisfying. I've wasted countless play sessions just swinging through the city.

imbarkus

Oct 25, 2017
I have a lasting fondness for the Roman countryside of Assassin's Creed 2 and Brotherhood.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Well your thread has free roamed it's way right into etcetera side, somewhat appropriate I guess. Tough question to answer but probably Spider-Man, so much fun just swinging around even when there is nothing to do.

bangai-o

Oct 27, 2017
On 3ds I like running around in Xenoblade. I haven't played it on Switch, so I'm not sure if it is better.

Waggles

Oct 26, 2017
Red dead 2 is the only game where i can comfortably walk just about anywhere without any explicity purpose and enjoy myself.

no other game comes close.

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
It has to be Witcher 3 for me. The amount of side quests and just hidden crap all over the place was insane. You could just pick a direction and start riding and you would come across something neat or interesting.

RDR2 is a very close second though. That game felt alive, but it was a bit more on rails than W3 to me.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Mirror's Edge: Catalyst and, so far, Dying Light 2.

Last edited:

SoundCheck

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Gravity Rush 2. The best transversal system in gaming + a very unique and original city to explore

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Easily Breath of the Wild but Xenoblade X is definitely way up there too, more games need the running jump that X has

LilScooby77

Dec 11, 2019
Bethesda games worlds are unmatched in stumbling into something along the world where most are barren.

Lego

Nov 14, 2017
We just copying reddit posts word for word now?

I'm gonna say San Andreas.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Genshin Impact, Spider-Man/Miles Morales, Xenoblade X...

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
breath of the wild for me.

i can't remember the last time i was put into an open world map and was that excited to go explore it all. i felt like there was something to do or find where ever i went. it might only be a korok seed but it made me want to explore every corner. once you come off the great plateau you have an idea where to go but you can head off in any direction you want and i didn't want to immediately go progress the story i just wanted to see what was over there...

too many other games i didn't feel that freedom. either the story puts too much pressure on you or the game doesn't really give you a reason to want to explore.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
BotW.

Sure, the spider man games make free roam less boring because it's fun to swing around New York, but I couldn't recall (let alone name) asingle interesting location or land mark i naturally came across.

Meanwhile, no part of the map in BotW feels the same as any other.

PJTierney

Social Media Manager • EA SPORTS WRC
Verified
Mar 28, 2021
Warwick, UK
We just copying reddit posts word for word now?
Quite a few Era threads are "What is your favourite X" + 350 responses of "This one" with little to no direct interaction, elaboration or ongoing discussion.

Not saying there's anything inherently wrong with that, but it is a trend I've been spotting as I begin to hang out on these forums more often. "Snackable posting" is a thing, where the moment is enjoyed but little of true value is generated. It's a social media thing rather than an Era-specific thing though, it's unreasonable to expect every conversation on the web to be detailed and thought-provoking; sometimes people just want to project a simple thought onto a screen.

--

To answer the topic though:

I feel that Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain is a great example.

Although it does have missions and objectives, the minutiae of your actions can be pretty varied. SuperBunnyhop explained it rather well at the start of this video, in how some of the playstyles used can take you down a completely different path (both geographical and mechanical) than the "intended" one.

Combine this freedom of approach and dynamism of interwoven systemic elements with a really tight and responsive control set and this ended up being the game that "spoiled" open-world games for me, as very few play so good in your hands once you know what you're doing.

www.youtube.com

Completing MGSV

No story spoilers in this one, just gameplay. Extended talk about the experience of 100%ing Metal Gear Solid V.Last week on the TOVG podcast, I thought Peter...

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017
Outward, the map is old school you guide yourself through landscapes, you find stuff organically, and learn the paths naturally.

CowboyAloy

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
United States
The best I have actually played has to be BoTW. However I have Spider-Man/Mile Morales and also Gravity Rush 2 mentioned above installed so maybe it's just due to lack of experience that I choose Zelda.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
Botw by a wide margin. My 5 year old started the game and seeing someone else play it is an eye opener. The way the game prompts you to roam and explore in a multitude of subtle ways is masterful.
The opening 150hrs of botw are still unmatched

Dogstar

Oct 29, 2017
AC-V for me, along with Skyrim and RDR2. I love the fact you can bugger off and go where ever you like in Valhalla right from the get go. Ok, you might get beaten to a pulp if you stray into areas underleveled, but you just have to sneak, and there is obviously lots to engage with if you want too, even if it's just basic resource gathering.

Raskol

Sep 5, 2018
Another vote for RDR2. Still the most beautiful world I've experienced in a game.

Bio Booster Armoire

Prophet of Truth
Apr 21, 2020
BotW because you actually feel like you're roaming and discovering things on your own. The world feels like it's full of secrets waiting to be discovered rather than a backdrop that's just there to fill in space between map markers.

Folie

Dec 16, 2017
I'd love to know how to enjoy GTAV's open world. It feels so empty to me in terms of how the player can interact with it, to the point where everything besides missions feels pointless.

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
Red Dead Redemption 2's world is hard to beat, from the incredible landscapes to the immersive wilderness.

I just loved exploring every nook and cranny.

EDIT: just noticed the wrong forum

If only any of that mastery had translated into a good game.

I will give RDR2 one thing: it is the only game I've ever tried a thousand times to find reasons to enjoy.

Never succeeded, but I tried.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
RDR2 definitely takes the cake for just being able to just travel around without a purpose and still find shit to do, things to see, and just have a fun, pleasant time being there in the world. In the end game that is, before that you are a bit more limited with all of the SW closed off and such so there's some major barriers to just going where you want until then. But still what is available from the start is massive and dense with variety and content.

BotW wins out if you consider things from the get go. The no hard limits at all once you leave the Plateau is really something else. But the world is more hostile throughout due to Guardians roaming around that can really make certain areas super hostile and the world itself is less structured for just normal roaming around on horseback and demands more active climbing and traversal.

Spider-Man is unparalleled for just zipping around the city, but sadly I think it's brought down a lot by how stale the city itself. There's really nothing going on at the street level interaction wise and gameplay wise the game just is pretty weak when you're on foot. The way Peter/Miles controls and everything does not translate well on foot or even close to the ground at slow speeds at all except when in fight where you quickly lock onto enemies and flip around.

Ghost of Tsushima is pretty great to just roam around in too in the late/post game, but the world just isn't as reactive/interactive as BotW or RDR. So it's just pretty to look at and going around, maybe hunting some left over Mongols, but you can't hunt or find NPC AI doing cool shit or anything like that. So it's a pretty static experience, jaw dropingly pretty as it is. Best horse controls of the generation too which really helps.